PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Tribune on possible DC for Edwards

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Chiefs | Edwards may pursue Marinelli
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:30:38 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports there is talk that Herman Edwards may seek to hire Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator, should Edwards be named the Kansas City Chiefs head coach.

Mecca
01-07-2006, 06:55 PM
If we're gonna play cover 2, Knight and Bell have to go. They aren't fast enough to play in the Tampa style defense.

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2006, 06:57 PM
If we're gonna play cover 2, Knight and Bell have to go. They aren't fast enough to play in the Tampa style defense.

I honestly don't see Germ attempting that experiment again. He tried it in New York and failed.

It woud take an overhaul of the defensive line, too.

milkman
01-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Marinelli would have to change the culture of this defense.

CHIEF4EVER
01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I honestly don't see Germ attempting that experiment again. He tried it in New York and failed.

It woud take an overhaul of the defensive line, too.

News flash. Playing ANY style of D in Kansas City next year will require an overhaul of the D line.

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2006, 07:01 PM
News flash. Playing ANY style of D in Kansas City next year will require an overhaul of the D line.

The cover 2 puts more pressure on the front 4 than most defenses unless I am mistaken.

We'd be better off running the defensive style that Washington runs.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Like I said Tampa Bay Style attitude style and attitude on defense.

CHIEF4EVER
01-07-2006, 07:03 PM
The cover 2 puts more pressure on the front 4 than most defenses unless I am mistaken.

My point. <-----------------

You. <--------------------

Our D line sucks baows. It needs to be revamped or we will have a repeat of this season.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM

It looks like then KC might make a push for Hattoli Ngata or Gabe Watson in the draft .

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Our D line sucks baows. It needs to be revamped or we will have a repeat of this season.

A complete overhaul in one offseason isn't realistic.

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Herm tried to hire him before and Tampa denied his request.

I believe that it was the Tampa GM that said...

No Rod Marinelli for you!

Maybe this time will be different.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Do you need permission to give a guy a promotion?

Mecca
01-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Do you need permission to give a guy a promotion?

Actually, I don't think you can. If he wanted to make him a coordinator and he's just a position coach then he could leave.

shaneo69

Gruden didn't give Dungy permission to talk to him about the Colts' DC job either when Dungy was hired in Indy.

jiveturkey
Do you need permission to give a guy a promotion?I'm not 100% certain but a lot of what I've read would indicate that you need permission to speak to anyone under contract.

Mecca
01-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Blocking interviews for a guy to get a promotion is a pretty dick thing to do.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 07:21 PM

wesley doesn't fit either ... upgrading the dline would also be necessary.

cut Bell ... have Barber/fox compete for spot

cut wesley and move warfield to free safety

knight... have no idea ... is he smart enough to survive in a cover 2?

need big upgrade at DT and at LDE

Mecca
01-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Well if we do go to that, looking to sign Abraham would make sense. Allen and Abraham are tailor made for that defense.

milkman
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Actually, I don't think you can. If he wanted to make him a coordinator and he's just a position coach then he could leave.

He's also an Asst. HC.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 07:26 PM
The thread header says he is wanted as the DC.

Mecca
01-07-2006, 07:28 PM
He's also an Asst. HC.

Well that would explain why.

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
SideWinder is right about him being as Assistant Head Coach.

I doubt that we're going to get an interview out of this if the Bucs have blocked it multiple times in the past.

Here's a write up on the guy.
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coachdetail.aspx?listid=coaches&coach=Marinelli,Rod

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Blocking interviews for a guy to get a promotion is a pretty dick thing to do.

Yep, but I guarantee that Carl wouldn't let something that trivial stop him. All you have to do is float a rumor through the media that the coach in question actually wants to work for the Chiefs. Then when the other organization gets ticked off at the coach for not wanting to stay where he's at, the Chiefs are there to smooth everything over by offering draft pick(s) compensation for said coach. Next thing you know, the Chiefs have thrown away more draft picks but have got their man.

It's not a difficult game to play.

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 07:32 PM

I doubt that we're going to get an interview out of this if the Bucs have blocked it multiple times in the past.

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coachdetail.aspx?listid=coaches&coach=Marinelli,Rod

I thought they named Monte Kiffin assistant HC to keep him from leaving. How many assistant/associate HC's are you allowed to have?

tk13
01-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Send them a 3rd round pick! ROFL

milkman
01-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Send them a 3rd round pick! ROFL

ROFL

Well played!

milkman
01-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Yep, but I guarantee that Carl wouldn't let something that trivial stop him. All you have to do is float a rumor through the media that the coach in question actually wants to work for the Chiefs. Then when the other organization gets ticked off at the coach for not wanting to stay where he's at, the Chiefs are there to smooth everything over by offering draft pick(s) compensation for said coach. Next thing you know, the Chiefs have thrown away more draft picks but have got their man.

It's not a difficult game to play.

You can't trade draft picks for assistant coaches.

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I thought they named Monte Kiffin assistant HC to keep him from leaving. How many assistant/associate HC's are you allowed to have?I was about to post the same question because we could use the Assistant title on someone like Solari to keep him from leaving.

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 07:37 PM
You can't trade draft picks for assistent coaches.

Yep, just like you can't trade draft picks for a head coach.

Mecca
01-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure they have that tag on Kiffin. From what I understand the guy doesn't want to be a head coach so he won't leave Tampa.

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 07:39 PM
They were just talking about in the Skins/Bucs game. They said, and I quote, it dosen't matter if you have the HCA title, you are still free to leave the team.

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 07:39 PM
I was about to post the same question because we could use the Assistant title on someone like Solari to keep him from leaving.

Well, we could have, when he was still under contract. At this point, he's a FA.

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure they have that tag on Kiffin. From what I understand the guy doesn't want to be a head coach so he won't leave Tampa.This Ron Marinelli is the only Assistant HC on the staff according to the Buc site.

Paul Hacket is the QB coach.
ROFL

Coach
01-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Paul Hacket is the QB coach.
ROFL

Ahhh, so that explains why Simms sucks so bad.

Hackett can't even do shit in the NFL, nor the NCAA for that matter. That man needs to go work at McDonalds or something.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 07:47 PM
That whole "permission" thing is BS not to mention un-American. Who else in America can be forced to stay in a job?

milkman
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM

I'll take the word of a league spokesman.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132730

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 07:52 PM
That whole "permission" thing is BS not to mention un-American. Who else in America can be forced to stay in a job?

Um, NFL players?

penguinz
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
This statement proves you know nothing of what you are talking about.

Guru
01-07-2006, 08:02 PM

AMEN!!!ROFL

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I'll take the word of a league spokesman.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132730

So they came up with the rule in response to Gruden switching teams, but they actually meant it to only be applied to assistant coaches. Brilliant.

If the contents of this "memo" aren't spelled out in the league bylaws, I'm pretty sure they could get around it. Sounds more like a guideline to follow than a rule with any penalty consequences. Of course, since it's never happened before, they can probably be pretty confident that it's not going to happen again anyway.

I think Saunders may have been WR coach and Assistant HC in St. Louis before the Chiefs pillaged him from the Rams to be the OC here. I remember being a little surprised that Martz didn't demand compensation for him as well after he got our 1st and 2nd rounders for Green and Vermiel that year.

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
This statement proves you know nothing of what you are talking about.

Kinda like that thread you started yesterday about the ChiefsPlanet server.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Um, NFL players?
They can sit out. Ask John Riggins.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 08:25 PM
That whole "permission" thing is BS not to mention un-American. Who else in America can be forced to stay in a job?Anyone that signed a contract.

The coach can always quit. He just can't take another job while under contract, unless he's given permission.

The Bad Guy
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
The Bucs never blocked Kiffin, he just doesn't want to be HC.

Marinelli is the only Assistant HC they have.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I like the idea of a D-line coach as the D-coord. I believe games are won in the trenchs, and this would be a guy that would put emphasis on that.

My only problem is his success has always come with great talent. He's always had guys like Rice, Sapp, and Mcfarland. Of course, you could argue that he gets some credit for their success too. He certainly turned Hovan around this year.

Certainly an interesting prospect.

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 08:33 PM

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports there is talk that Herman Edwards may seek to hire Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator, should Edwards be named the Kansas City Chiefs head coach.

wow...that would awesome...that would alter my opinion of the Herm hiring a little...

Logical
01-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Marinelli would have to change the culture of this defense.We definitely need a culture change on defense, that would be a great thing IMO.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Anyone that signed a contract.

The coach can always quit. He just can't take another job while under contract, unless he's given permission.
I've never seen it happen in real life. The aggrieved party might get monetary compensation but I've never seen a judge make the guy quit the new job.

milkman
01-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I like the idea of a D-line coach as the D-coord. I believe games are won in the trenchs, and this would be a guy that would put emphasis on that.

My only problem is his success has always come with great talent. He's always had guys like Rice, Sapp, and Mcfarland. Of course, you could argue that he gets some credit for their success too. He certainly turned Hovan around this year.

Certainly an interesting prospect.

I agree with all of this.

Logical
01-07-2006, 08:40 PM
He's also an Asst. HC.I think you are thinking of Monte Kiffin, but even if you are not it is still a promotion if he moves from D-line Asst HC to Defensive Coordinator and Assitant Head Coach.

Logical
01-07-2006, 08:42 PM

My memory may be wrong on this but I believe it was Kiffin that was blocked by Tampa Bay to interview for other jobs. I don't remember that happening with Marinelli (sp?).

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I think you are thinking of Monte Kiffin, but even if you are not it is still a promotion if he moves from D-line Asst HC to Defensive Coordinator and Assitant Head Coach.
I wonder what the DC thinks of one of his underlings being Asst. HC.

Logical
01-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought they named Monte Kiffin assistant HC to keep him from leaving. How many assistant/associate HC's are you allowed to have?I know the Chiefs had more than one under DV at one time.

milkman
I think you are thinking of Monte Kiffin, but even if you are not it is still a promotion if he moves from D-line Asst HC to Defensive Coordinator and Assitant Head Coach.

No, it's Marinelli.

But I don't know about that D-Line to DC, with Asst coach title already in the mix.

That is a gray area for me.

jspchief
Kiffin has never been blocked from interviewing. He doesn't want a new job, he's content where he is. He's said it several times.

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, we could have, when he was still under contract. At this point, he's a FA.I thought that Solari was the only assistant still under contract.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Article about Kiffin turning down jobs:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/24/Columns/Background_Material.shtml

penguinz
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Kinda like that thread you started yesterday about the ChiefsPlanet server.
Again you prove your ignorance. I know the basics of what is (or at least was 3 months ago) running this site. It is no where enough for even a basic site let alone one with high traffic and load.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I thought that Solari was the only assistant still under contract.No coaches are under contract. Carl even specifically answered that question about Solari.

*technically, they all are under contract until the Superbowl

jiveturkey
01-07-2006, 08:51 PM
No coaches are under contract. Carl even specifically answered that question about Solari.

*technically, they all are under contract until the SuperbowlThanks

Knowing is half the battle.
:)

Crush
01-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm kind of wary of playing Cover 2. However, if we get the right people then I'm all for it.

Logical
01-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I wonder what the DC thinks of one of his underlings being Asst. HC.Skip as I understand it is a more of ceremonial title mo than anything, that is used to provide the excuse for a big raise and adds some sort of administrative (non-coaching responsibilities). As far as I can see across the NFL it has little to no meaning (depending on the organization) as far as chain of command.

Logical
01-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Marinelli is the only Assistant HC they have.Being honest I will defer to Bad Guy's knowledge on the subject. I just got to his post.

shaneo69
01-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Skip as I understand it is a more of ceremonial title mo than anything, that is used to provide the excuse for a big raise and adds some sort of administrative (non-coaching responsibilities). As far as I can see across the NFL it has little to no meaning (depending on the organization) as far as chain of command.

Unless the HC gets bacterial endocardimitis. Then all of a sudden you're thrust into the head coaching duties like Joe Vitt was this year.

milkman
01-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Being honest I will defer to Bad Guy's knowledge on the subject. I just got to his post.

Man, you're slow!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
That is true. Kiffin doesn't want to head coach. Back in 02 they had a whole segment on that subject with him on espn...

Halfcan
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
wesley doesn't fit either ... upgrading the dline would also be necessary.

cut Bell ... have Barber/fox compete for spot

cut wesley and move warfield to free safety

knight... have no idea ... is he smart enough to survive in a cover 2?

need big upgrade at DT and at LDE

Promote Warfield to Mcdonalds cook. He can't tackle, can't hit, makes dumb mistakes-time to go.

Mecca
01-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Promote Warfield to Mcdonalds cook. He can't tackle, can't hit, makes dumb mistakes-time to go.

Your hatred of Warfield is overdone considering some of the other players that start on the defense.

Logical
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Unless the HC gets bacterial endocardimitis. Then all of a sudden you're thrust into the head coaching duties like Joe Vitt was this year.LOL, I guess that maybe true.

melbar
01-07-2006, 11:20 PM
ROFL :deevee:

Woodrow Call
01-08-2006, 01:03 AM

If you want to give Warfield shit about getting burnt, fine but I would say he is one of the best tacklers on this team and one of the best tackling CBs in the league. If Gun didnt play him 10 yrds back all the dinks and dunks wouldnt be there. IMO he is a solid #2 and would make a terrific safety if given the chance.

I think Warfield gets a little bit of a bum wrap considering he is easily one of the Chiefs top 5 defensive players behind Allen, Kawika, DJ, Surtain, and mabye Knight.

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 01:06 AM
I have not read through this thread, but if Herm could get Marinelli, you all should be very happy... Teams have been trying to lure this guy from Tampa for years. I'd take him as D.C. in a heartbeat..

jAZ
01-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Ahhh, so that explains why Simms sucks so bad.

Hackett can't even do shit in the NFL, nor the NCAA for that matter. That man needs to go work at McDonalds or something.
Chris Simms isn't even supposed to be starting in the NFL. He's lead his team to the playoffs. He's outperformed people's expectations at the time of the draft and he's outperformed Brian Griese who lost his job due to injury.

I'd say Paul Hackett has done a hell of a job.

If he was also QB coach in Tampa last year, he did a hell of a job restoring BG's career too.

Just because our offense was crappy under the guy, doesn't mean you have to hate on him at every turn.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 01:27 AM

That would be a very nice hire.

I'm still holding out hope that somehow Capers makes it on our staff but......eh.........not gonna' happen.

The Bucs have always had solid line coaches.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Seriously, If Edwards can get the D-line coach from the Bucs I'll be ecstatic beyond Mike Tyson terms. :D

tk13
01-08-2006, 04:38 AM
Meanwhile, in Kansas City, there is talk that Herm Edwards may seek to hire Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as his defensive coordinator, should Edwards be named the Chiefs head coach.

The Jets and Edwards cut ties last week and he's believed to be the leading candidate to replace Dick Vermeil in Kansas City.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB4FTOG6IE.html

A Time For Changes?
And now comes the really hard part. It will never be exactly the same for this defense, which ranked No. 1 in the NFL. Who stays? Who goes?

It would be a travesty for linebacker Derrick Brooks to finish his NFL career in anything other than red and pewter. In Saturday's locker room, a bitterly disappointed Brooks said they'd have to tear the uniform off his back.

Can the Bucs afford defensive end Simeon Rice? Is Booger McFarland in the future plans?

And what about the coaches? Even Kiffin wonders if defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin are moving on to bigger and better positions.

"It would be [devastating to lose them], no doubt about it," Kiffin said. "We have a great defense not because Monte Kiffin is the coordinator. Our staff is great. Rod can be a head coach. Mike's ready [for defensive coordinator]. Heck, [linebackers coach] Joe Barry is ready, but he's got another year on his contract.

"I don't know what's going to happen. Someone mentioned in the locker room [about some players not returning]. Coach [Jon] Gruden and Bruce [Allen, general manager] will address all of that in the offseason. I can't think about that now."

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBDMMYU6IE.html

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Excellent, bye bye Gun

tk13
01-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah, I went over and checked it out... the way they all talk over the Bucs board, Marinelli's contract is up. I guess that makes him a free agent? If that's the case, Carl needs to be on that yesterday. That guy has been there right alongside Kiffin for a decade now.

tk13
01-08-2006, 05:01 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/153236p-134870c.html

There's an article from two years ago. Marinelli was Herm's number one choice for a new DC... but obviously Tampa denied that. According to that article, their 2nd choice was Gregg Williams, but they obviously weren't gonna outbid Dan Snyder on that one... their next two choices appeared to be Gunther, and Ron Rivera. I'm guessing their owner probably wouldn't cash up for them either, so they ended up with Donnie Henderson. Donnie did a pretty good job though. That'll make things interesting if Marinelli is actually available.

the Talking Can
01-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Marinelli as DC, then he can be our HC after Hermeil fail...err, retires...

htismaqe
01-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Now this is what gets me excited about the team...

the Talking Can
01-08-2006, 09:03 AM
I have not read through this thread, but if Herm could get Marinelli, you all should be very happy... Teams have been trying to lure this guy from Tampa for years. I'd take him as D.C. in a heartbeat..

damn straight...I hope we shit can our ENTIRE defensive staff...Marinelli has been hot proerty for awhile, if his contract is up then God may be smiling on us just a little bit...

kregger
01-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Watch a game, will you? Warfield is sometimes the leading tackler. The guys is great at run support, doesn't get tied up with WR blocks, and tackles the way you're taught.

kregger
01-08-2006, 09:27 AM
If you want to give Warfield shit about getting burnt, fine but I would say he is one of the best tacklers on this team and one of the best tackling CBs in the league. If Gun didnt play him 10 yrds back all the dinks and dunks wouldnt be there. IMO he is a solid #2 and would make a terrific safety if given the chance.

I think Warfield gets a little bit of a bum wrap considering he is easily one of the Chiefs top 5 defensive players behind Allen, Kawika, DJ, Surtain, and mabye Knight.
Sorry Archie, Had to post as soon as read that crap from Halfcan. Didn't see your post till I went back to finish. I've watched Warfield and believe he can be the perfect free safety.

ILChief
01-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm kind of wary of playing Cover 2. However, if we get the right people then I'm all for it.

tampa, chicago, and indy all play it. but like you said, they have the right people for it.

Frankie
01-08-2006, 10:49 AM
My kind of coordinator. Why not see if they would let Kiffen go and promote Marinelli to DC? :hmmm:

Frankie
01-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Chris Simms isn't even supposed to be starting in the NFL. He's lead his team to the playoffs. He's outperformed people's expectations at the time of the draft and he's outperformed Brian Griese who lost his job due to injury.

I'd say Paul Hackett has done a hell of a job.

If he was also QB coach in Tampa last year, he did a hell of a job restoring BG's career too.

Just because our offense was crappy under the guy, doesn't mean you have to hate on him at every turn.My thoughts exactly. I'm not at all a Hackett fan as OC, but based on his work in Tampa, I'd take him as QB coach in a heartbeat. That is if Shea is the one promoted to OC here?

Frankie
01-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Excellent, bye bye GunI'm not down on Gun like you guys are. I think he does have the 'D' in the right direction. That said, I'm sure this Marinelli guy is pretty good but, if Gun is not kept, why not go after some of the recently fired HCs who were proven DCs? :shrug:

dirk digler
01-08-2006, 11:17 AM
This would be a great hire and maybe the return of the Chiefs Defense

DomerNKC
01-08-2006, 11:22 AM
any defense is better than our defense

jspchief
01-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Good thing the Bucs lost yesterday. That means we can pursue him right away. If they had won, we'd be waiting it out for at least another week.

dirk digler
01-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Good thing the Bucs lost yesterday. That means we can pursue him right away. If they had won, we'd be waiting it out for at least another week.

Yep and I am really starting to think that it could be a very strong possibility that AS comes back to the Chiefs. He has interviewed with alot of teams but he is not the front-runner for any of them.

Frankie
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
6 defenses were rated lower than ours. Are you sure you don't want to edit your post into something cerebral?

Frankie
01-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Yep and I am really starting to think that it could be a very strong possibility that AS comes back to the Chiefs. He has interviewed with alot of teams but he is not the front-runner for any of them.I think he'd take someone else's OC job before he takes ours.
:(

milkman
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
I think he'd take someone else's OC job before he takes ours.
:(

Imagine what he could do with Reggie Bush in Houston.

Oh, and another QB. :D

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Copyright Times Publishing Co. Aug 21, 2002
Chartric Darby is 2 inches shorter, 30 pounds lighter and 100 decibels quieter than Warren Sapp.

He doesn't have a radio show, a bank account or a music video like the five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle.

But on the field, Darby's job is to be confused for Sapp.

And in Friday night's 20-0 preseason win at Jacksonville, it was hard to tell the difference, particularly on the stat sheet.

Playing for Sapp, who was left at home to rest a swollen left knee, Darby recorded four tackles, including a sack.

"I call it Marinelli madness, man," coach Jon Gruden said. "You've heard of March Madness? This time of year is (Rod) Marinelli madness. When you're with another team, you look at Tampa Bay for defensive linemen because you know what kind of coach Rod is and they just can't keep them all.

"If you look at the players that have played under him since he's been with the Bucs, the Steve Whites, the James Cannidas, the Chidi Ahanotus there's been a lot of players, fairly obscure players, come in here and really take off."

No wonder Tampa Bay refused the Jets and Colts permission to interview Marinelli for their defensive coordinator positions in the past two seasons.

The reason? Marinelli produces NFL defensive linemen the way Richard Williams produces Wimbledon finalists.

This season, three of the former backups Marinelli developed - the Rams' Tyoka Jackson, the Jets' White and the Colts' Cannida, will be starters for their new teams.

But Marinelli already has taken NFL draft dodgers such as Darby, Buck Gurley, Corey Smith, Ron Warner, and former sixth-round pick Ellis Wyms and Browns castoff Greg Spires, and molded them into a formidable second-line.

"I personally love developing players," Marinelli said. "You find the guys who want to just stick around the whole offseason with you and work at it.

"They've got to have a couple things that you look for. I want the guy who loves football. Just have enough talent. Get over the bar, that's all I ask. Some guys are high over the bar, some guys just make it. Then balance. I don't care about height. Just balance and quickness. If I start with that, I think I've got a good chance to find a real good player and then really teach how to play hard and hustle. Then the group standards really help bring that into play."

Those standards were set by Marinelli and enforced by Sapp, Marcus Jones, Anthony McFarland and Simeon Rice - all No. 1 draft picks.

"The first thing is you've got to have the front line players that allow you to develop some depth," general manager Rich McKay said. "And he deserves credit for developing those guys. Secondly is the commitment of the position coach to develop those guys. It takes a lot of work. It takes a lot of time. It takes an offseason of having the guys in, watching tape, going through techniques, realizing you have no pads on but every day is important. That's what Rod does very well."

When Marinelli arrived as part of Tony Dungy's staff, Sapp was coming off a disappointing rookie season in which he recorded three sacks. Jones was a rookie trying to make it at defensive tackle.

But for the past five seasons, Sapp has been selected to the Pro Bowl and was Defensive Player of the Year in 1999, setting the club mark for sacks with 16 1/2. Jones made the transition to defensive end, producing 13 sacks in 2000.

"Rod always sees the glass half full. Always," McKay said. "I mean, sometimes three quarters full, you know, when you say, 'Rod, c'mon now.' He's the traditional coach that tries the building block approach, so when he sees something good, he'll use it as step one and figures we'll get to step two and three. That helps with guysthat are coming at a different pace.

"In Marcus' case, when we were moving from inside to end, that's a big move. Rod was the one who said, 'Nah, I've seen this and I've seen that and we can make this move.' He's definitely a guy who has a positive outlook on players."

The outlook for players like Darby, Wyms, Spires, Smith and Gurley should be pretty bright. Head coaches such as Dungy in Indianapolis and Herman Edwards with the Jets and defensive coordinator Lovie Smith in St. Louis always will raid the Bucs for defensive linemen.

"People will watch those guys on film and they'll want them, too," Marinelli said. "They want your backups. Everybody is looking at those guys. It's neat."

That's how Gruden always describes the camaraderie between Marinelli and his linemen during games like Friday's shutout.

"It's fun to be down there on the field, too. It's like the Army- Navy game," Gruden said. "It's so emotional down there. The guys are pulling for each other. It's genuine, man. It's like an Army of Marinellis. It's something that I'm very proud to be associated with. When you see a coach be able to generate that kind of play and discipline and effort, by God, everybody can do it. Because we're seeing it happen. And I think it's setting a real pace for all the coaches here, me included."

Brock
01-08-2006, 01:19 PM

:rolleyes: Brilliant.

FringeNC
01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
If we could get this guy, and this guy respects Herm enough to come to coach under him, then it looks like Herm was a good hire. Teams have been trying to pry him loose from Tampa for a long time.

Throw Gregg Williams type money at this guy, and get it done Carl.

Saulbadguy
01-08-2006, 07:52 PM
K-State hired an assitant from Tampa Bay for their DC. I'm excited to see the Tampa 2.

nascher
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
i would be excited to see a good defense regardless of the scheme but our defense was improved (little) compared to last year.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm not down on Gun like you guys are. I think he does have the 'D' in the right direction. That said, I'm sure this Marinelli guy is pretty good but, if Gun is not kept, why not go after some of the recently fired HCs who were proven DCs? :shrug:

Capers or Haslett would be great if you want a 3-4 base set