PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs should be stripped of their 1st round pick for tampering!!??

John_Wayne
01-07-2006, 08:15 PM
...........according to the jackasses at Pro Football Talk
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

========================================

PLENTY OF BLAME IN EDWARDS FIASCO
With former Jets coach Herm Edwards on his way to becoming the next coach of the Kansas Chiefs (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5225998), we think that every party in this farce deserves to take a big bite of a steaming shiitake sandwich.

For Edwards, it's obvious that his public statements regarding his desire to remain with the Jets were lies. Look, we know there's no good way to deal with pointed press conference questions regarding whether a guy wants to keep the job he has, but there's got to be a way to handle the question without telling a bald-faced falsehood.

Word got out early in the season that Edwards wanted out of New York. Who do you think initiated it? The Jets?

Edwards knew exactly what he was doing; he poisoned the well in New York so that, when the Chiefs came calling, the Jets would be ready to take anything they could get as compensation for a guy who didn't want to be there.

The Jets come out of this one looking like wimps, accepting a mere fourth-round pick for a guy who wanted out because another team wanted him. And although the evidence (more on that later) points to a conclusion that the flirtation between the Chiefs and Edwards didn't just begin this week, the Jets most likely will not file tampering charges.

In the real world, this kind of crap is met with lawsuits alleging tortious interference with contractual relations. Yours truly handled a case like that several years back, and $540,000 later the company that pilfered a doctor who was under contract with another medical practice had learned a valuable lesson.
Although the NFL clubs likely have signed agreements waiving their rights to sue other teams in court for this kind of stuff, there's still a vehicle available to the Jets, if they want to send a message to the Chiefs and any other team who might be inclined in the future to swipe their head coach.

And it might not be so hard to prove that tampering occurred. By ordering up phone records and poring over hard drives, the Jets might very well learn that there were plenty of communications between Edwards and Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson.

On that topic, our bullcrap detector keeps coming back to rumors of a December 16 meeting between Peterson and Edwards in New York, when the Chiefs were in town to face the Giants on Saturday. Peterson denied meeting with Edwards, claiming that Edwards and the Jets were already in Miami. But they weren't, as we later learned.

As to the Chiefs, we think that the organization should be ashamed of its tactics when it comes to hiring head coaches. The 32 NFL teams are business partners, and although they compete on the playing field there are lines that should not be crossed. But the Chiefs now have filled two straight coaching vacancies by courting guys who were under contract with other organizations. In 2001, the Chiefs hired Dick Vermeil while Vermeil was still a consultant to the Rams. Now, the Chiefs have scalped Edwards from the Jets.

To make matters worse, Peterson and the Chiefs nickel-and-dimed the Jets, confident that the Jets would either cave in or fire Herm, after contributing to the creation of a situation in New York in which Edwards simply couldn't have continued.

Since the NFL permits head coaches to be traded for draft picks, we think that the league should impose mandatory minimum compensation requirements, in order to prevent the very situation that arose in New York.

The league also should be willing to launch tampering investigations even without charges being filed by the team that might have been screwed. In this case, multiple league insiders are convinced that something was going on between the Chiefs and Edwards. One source told us that, in his opinion, the league should smack the Chiefs with a big fine -- and strip their first-round draft pick.

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
It's PFT...

Coach
01-07-2006, 08:17 PM
PFT should be stripped of their stories abilities and shut down.

tk13
01-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Go Kansas Chiefs!

CHIEF4EVER
01-07-2006, 08:19 PM
We're screwed now. Tagliabue reads PFT every day and believes every word they say as gospel.

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
You're a lawyer? How can you be that stupid and be a lawyer?

Count Alex's Losses
I hope we can all agree on the difference between this trash and WPI.

jspchief
I kind of agree with what he's saying.

This whole process reeked of tampering. I'd be pissed if my team was on the receiving end of that screw job.

I've already said once that I'm still concerned about Tags deciding to take action. At the very least, I expect it to be a hot topic at owners meeting this spring.

Tactical Funky
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Pro Football Talk?

Yeah, right... ROFL

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Go Kansas Chiefs!
WooWoo

Bowser
I'll see your Pro Football Talk, and raise you an Athan.

The Bad Guy
Yeah, like I'd believe anything that the asshat Mike Florio says.

Bootlegged
01-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been used as "one source" before. Big deal.

milkman

This whole process reeked of tampering. I'd be pissed if my team was on the receiving end of that screw job.

I've already said once that I'm still concerned about Tags deciding to take action. At the very least, I expect it to be a hot topic at owners meeting this spring.

I'd be really surprised to find out that Carl would leave any evidence of tampering for Tags to find.

Jayhawkerman2001
wow... more idiots out there thinking that the Chiefs are a bunch of no goods. they're trying to start shit here without any evidence at all.

Reaper16
01-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I'll see your Pro Football Talk, and raise you an Athan.
Athan tries; his heart is in the right place. PFT is in a whole 'nother class of awful journalism.

Herzig
01-07-2006, 08:35 PM
And it might not be so hard to prove that tampering occurred. By ordering up phone records and poring over hard drives, the Jets might very well learn that there were plenty of communications between Edwards and Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson.

Quick Carl and Herm....Wipe your hard drives!!!!
ROFL :)

redbrian
01-07-2006, 08:40 PM
A journalist lawyer, if this guy was also a politician you would have the trifecta of liars.

Bwana
01-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Have an idea for TacoBill? Contact him at TacoBill@profootballtalk.com (TacoBill@profootballtalk.com)

Yeah I have a few ideas for you douche bag.

Coach
01-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Have an idea for TacoBill? Contact him at TacoBill@profootballtalk.com (TacoBill@profootballtalk.com)

Yeah I have a few ideas for you douche bag.

Hmm.... any relation to TacoJohn? :hmmm:

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
so there are people dumber than Nick Athan....

Logical
01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
big bite of a steaming shiitake sandwich.

Is that some kind of Japanase steak or something?

Logical
01-07-2006, 09:20 PM

You do know the NFL has already approved the trade right? They did so Friday, Tags won't be doing anything now.

Logical
01-07-2006, 09:22 PM
A journalist lawyer, if this guy was also a politician you would have the trifecta of liars.ROFL Damn that is a good line.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
You do know the NFL has already approved the trade right? They did so Friday, Tags won't be doing anything now.Yes, I know. I just have a bad feeling that if there's enough media outcry, Tags or the Jets will change their mind and it will get ugly.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 09:25 PM
TacoBill@profootballtalk.com

just bumping up the F*CKERS' e-mail address

Logical
01-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Yes, I know. I just have a bad feeling that if there's enough media outcry, Tags or the Jets will change their mind and it will get ugly.That won't happen because then if the Chiefs sign him and they retroactively do it, they will definitely lose a lawsuit. The NFL and Tags are not that dumb.

kc-nd
01-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Would all 53 on the team strip?

Or just the 48 or whatever that can "dress" for the game?

And by the way, I don't want to see this if it really happens.

nascher
01-07-2006, 10:27 PM
pissed Jets fan lol

chiefs4me
01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
other fans boards feel the same way.....threads on alot of them about the cheating chiefs....

melbar
01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
The league already approved this deal.Seems to me if there was a question or problem they would have drawn that process out longer than an afternoon.

craneref
01-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I like the way the author conveniently forgets to tell the reader that Vermiel was coaxed out of retirment and it cost us two draft picks. I have no ideal if there was tampering or not, but to think that it is confined to the CHIEFS is absurd. What about the Bucs and Gruden, where was the screaming then. The problem is that the CHIEFS pulled off a great bargain here, but Jets were about to get nothing, so I believe they did meet somewhere in the middle. The writer should stick to suing medical practices over luring Dr's away, and leave football opinions to people who actually watch the game. GO CHIEFS

Rausch
01-08-2006, 01:23 AM
I hear there's a death cloud from the big bang closing in on our solar system.

We're all dead...

listopencil
01-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Heh. Pretty stupid.

htismaqe
01-08-2006, 07:31 AM
other fans boards feel the same way.....threads on alot of them about the cheating chiefs....

That's just ****ing stupid.

The Chiefs did what every team does when hiring a coach. In this case, it looks so bad because the JETS ARE INEPT.

Alphaman
01-08-2006, 07:33 AM

The Jets had every opportunity to end the whole thing. They had a coach who took them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and then kept the team playing hard when they had their top 2 QBs, their rushing title champion RB, their ProBowl Center and other key players on IR. Yet they were perfectly fine with having that coach be one the lowest paid HCs in the league. Factor in cost of living and he probably was the lowest paid coach in the league. In fact there were some Coordinators that made close to or perhaps more than he made. That's the reason to be pissed. Cheap ownership ran Edwards away.

Did Carl tamper? I don't think so. He probably said internally he'd love to get Herm as HC if Vermeil retired midway in the season. One of the internal people shot off his mouth and it eventually reached the rumor mill (i.e. PFT) and got reported that Carl was after him.

Did Carl and Herm have dinner before the opener? Possibly. But at that time, it was a very real possibility that Vermeil would be back. These two guys go way back, all the way back to Carl recruiting Herm out of high school. Carl may have dinner with several others that come to town before a game. It's entirely possible that Carl and Marty get together the night before the SD game.

Did Carl meet with Herm in NY? Doubtful. Where could the two of them meet and not be seen? That is just speculation because of the logistics.

After Vermeil's retirement, Carl never spoke to Herm until the compensation was worked out.

I think this is all smoke and sour grapes by Jets fans when in reality, their ownership is to blame.

htismaqe
01-08-2006, 08:30 AM
The Jets had every opportunity to end the whole thing. They had a coach who took them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and then kept the team playing hard when they had their top 2 QBs, their rushing title champion RB, their ProBowl Center and other key players on IR. Yet they were perfectly fine with having that coach be one the lowest paid HCs in the league. Factor in cost of living and he probably was the lowest paid coach in the league. In fact there were some Coordinators that made close to or perhaps more than he made. That's the reason to be pissed. Cheap ownership ran Edwards away.

Did Carl tamper? I don't think so. He probably said internally he'd love to get Herm as HC if Vermeil retired midway in the season. One of the internal people shot off his mouth and it eventually reached the rumor mill (i.e. PFT) and got reported that Carl was after him.

Did Carl and Herm have dinner before the opener? Possibly. But at that time, it was a very real possibility that Vermeil would be back. These two guys go way back, all the way back to Carl recruiting Herm out of high school. Carl may have dinner with several others that come to town before a game. It's entirely possible that Carl and Marty get together the night before the SD game.

Did Carl meet with Herm in NY? Doubtful. Where could the two of them meet and not be seen? That is just speculation because of the logistics.

After Vermeil's retirement, Carl never spoke to Herm until the compensation was worked out.

I think this is all smoke and sour grapes by Jets fans when in reality, their ownership is to blame.

Like I said, this is all being fueled by the fact that Jets only managed a 4th-round pick.

Fact is, Jets fans HATED Herm. They WANTED him gone.

But their ownership failed to get a great deal for him, so now they're mad.

MahiMike
01-08-2006, 08:43 AM
They're right. Carl hired Herm back in September. They leaked it out that Herm wanted out. Herm had all those strange press conferences so that management would get fed up with him.

Carl's so predictable.

It's definitely tampering. Not only that, he got Jets ownership to virtually let him go for nothing. Carl threw them a bone with a measly 4th round pick to make it look good.

chiefsfaninNC
01-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Does this mean we have lost our edge in calling Donk's fan cheaters? They are sooo going to throw this in our faces.

milkman
01-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Like I said, this is all being fueled by the fact that Jets only managed a 4th-round pick.

Fact is, Jets fans HATED Herm. They WANTED him gone.

But their ownership failed to get a great deal for him, so now they're mad.

Reading Jet fan boards, it is funny to read in the very same post.

"Herm Edwards sucks.
He's worth at least a 2nd and 3rd round pick."

Huh?????

chiefsfaninNC
01-08-2006, 09:04 AM
New Yorker's have to cry about something. They have a reputation to live up to.

B_Ambuehl
01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Did Carl tamper? I don't think so.

Then how and why does a guy who didn't even interview for the job end up getting the job? Especially after Carl say he's going to do a thorough job in the interview process. Remember, according to Carl he'd never spoken a word about coaching to Edwards and all the negotiation crap was done to clear the air for the 2 sides to *speak* about the coaching job. But when the negotiations were over, you didnt hear about Carl *interviewing* Edwards for the job......no, Edwards already had the job and they went right to work on his contract.

The truth is Carl interviewed and hired Edwards long ago. Probably as far back as the offseason.

milkman
01-08-2006, 10:18 AM
The truth is Carl interviewed and hired Edwards long ago. Probably as far back as the offseason.

Link?

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2006, 10:21 AM
According to my sources, PFT is run by idiots.

Mosbonian
01-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Then how and why does a guy who didn't even interview for the job end up getting the job? Especially after Carl say he's going to do a thorough job in the interview process. Remember, according to Carl he'd never spoken a word about coaching to Edwards and all the negotiation crap was done to clear the air for the 2 sides to *speak* about the coaching job. But when the negotiations were over, you didnt hear about Carl *interviewing* Edwards for the job......no, Edwards already had the job and they went right to work on his contract.

I'm with Sidewinder on this...unless you can provide me a link to prove your case, it's appears to be nothing but frustrated speculation....

As for this article....had the shoe been on the other foot, Edwards leaving KC to go to NY, this article would be all about how stupid Carl was for letting Edwards leave KC, and how cunning and clever Bradway was for stealing him for a song-and-dance. Plus it would be explaining how everything was totally done above-board.

mmaddog

tomahawk
01-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Actually, after following this thing for the last week or so it was almost like the chiefs did the jets a favor. They weren't giving him an extension or a raise or even coming out and saying the things like "we will do what ever it takes to keep Herm here."
And according to some it seemed they were even going to fire him. So they may just be happy as hell they got any compensation for him at all.
As far as the interview thing goes, Carl probably knows Herm better than some of his current staff based on their past so thats just sour grapes.
Hope he does great! myself in his new job.

Valiant
01-08-2006, 01:09 PM

I don't think they can, the league approved it. They cannot approve it and then turn around and take a action that would result in a fine or draft pick loss.

CHIEF4EVER
01-08-2006, 01:12 PM
They're right. Carl hired Herm back in September. They leaked it out that Herm wanted out. Herm had all those strange press conferences so that management would get fed up with him.

Carl's so predictable.

It's definitely tampering. Not only that, he got Jets ownership to virtually let him go for nothing. Carl threw them a bone with a measly 4th round pick to make it look good.

You must be Nick Athans brother.

T-post Tom
01-08-2006, 05:08 PM
"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Sounds like sour grapes from a disgruntled Jets fan trying to fill space on one of the internet's worst websites.