PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Sprint..

The Bad Guy
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I've had the same cell phone for 2 years and it appears the charging plug inside the phone has gone bad.

I love the phone, but the guy at Sprint says I can get 150 off a new phone.

Great. I find the phone I want. However, it's the show model - meaning that about 100 people have handled the phone and it's constantly on.

I didn't want that one. Problem is, they are sold out everywhere.

So they tell me to call Sprint and they can get me the phone.

They don't honor the 150 dollar credit on the phone. I ask them why, they say you have to buy a phone in the store to get the credit.

What type of sense does this make? I want a perticular phone, but the store doesn't have it and say they won't be getting it anytime soon because of demand. Why can't they honor the credit for the phone over the phone?

It makes zero sense.

Just another reason to hate Sprint. What are some of your Sprint horror stories?

HMc
01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Ben Johnson at the 88 games.

Baconeater
01-07-2006, 11:02 PM
I had a Cricket phone a few years ago, and for some reason I bought the stupid insurance on it. I ended up dropping it in a bucket of water. Thank god I had the insurance...except they couldn't get me the same phone so the car charger, handsfree device and extra battery I bought for the phone were useless. They always fug you one way or another.

Halfcan
01-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Sprint sucks-messed up my bill, spent an hour of my own minutes-got zero help from the retarts at Sprint, had to buy out my contract.

F#CK SPRINT YOU EVIL BASTARDS!!!!

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Sprint just sucks. I charge my phone and it's dead in two days. I never get good signals. I always have dropped calls...

Thank God my contract ends in May. I'm thinking of getting T Mobile or Nextel...

DenverChief
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Go Cingular...I had sprint for about a year with nothing but heart ache...but thanks for the thread reminder

penguinz
01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Sprint just sucks. I charge my phone and it's dead in two days. I never get good signals. I always have dropped calls...

Thank God my contract ends in May. I'm thinking of getting T Mobile or Nextel...Nextel is Sprint. T-Mobile is ok. The odd thing I have had with T-mobile with two different phones is that soon after the initial contract was up I started getting more and more dropped calls and horrible signals. Could have been the age of the phones but was odd it happened twice.

I have a Motorola Razr V3 with Cingular now and never drop a call or get a bad signal. My wife always thinks I am at my desk phone when I call her with it.

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Nextel is Sprint. T-Mobile is ok. The odd thing I have had with T-mobile with two different phones is that soon after the initial contract was up I started getting more and more dropped calls and horrible signals. Could have been the age of the phones but was odd it happened twice.

I have a Motorola Razr V3 with Cingular now and never drop a call or get a bad signal. My wife always thinks I am at my desk phone when I call her with it.
I know Nextel is Sprint. I've used Nextel phones since the merger and I must say they are impressive.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.movieactors.com/characters/freezes2/Pesci3.jpeg

Alright, ok, ok, ok...let me tell you something...they **** you with the cell phones, ok, they **** you with the cell phones...

Baconeater
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.movieactors.com/characters/freezes2/Pesci3.jpeg

Alright, ok, ok, ok...let me tell you something...they **** you with the cell phones, ok, they **** you with the cell phones...

ROFL And how.

|Zach|
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I have had good experiences with Spring personally.

listopencil
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM
My Nokia that I got free with the Sprint contract just died on me. Anybody know if I have to get a particular phone to use with my Sprint contract from them or can I just buy one and give them the EIDN and activate it?

Simplex3
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Sprint was a POS. I didn't have a single call ring through for a month and their story was always "we don't guarantee you get all your calls, sir". Well no s**t, how about NONE of my calls? I finally had to switch because they wouldn't take care of it.

Since then I've been with Cingular and T-Mobile, both have been great.

DomerNKC
01-07-2006, 11:51 PM
sprint cars are kinda cool. especially on dirt tracks.

Halfcan
01-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I have Verizon and it rocks. I got a signal from Vancouver Island.

With Sprint you could stand on top of their tower and still lose your call.

Rausch
01-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Inside the New York Telephone Company, By Elinor Langer.

Buy it, read it, and know that it is the "1984" of modern customer service.

Simplex3
01-07-2006, 11:56 PM

At one point in time Sprint's PCS network was badly over-subscribed. To "solve" the problem they decided that if a new call request was made through a full tower rather than deny the new call they dropped the oldest call. People will put up with dropped calls, they assumed it was a signal issue. They won't put up with service busy messages.

That company is a real piece of work.

Valiant
01-08-2006, 01:20 AM
My Nokia that I got free with the Sprint contract just died on me. Anybody know if I have to get a particular phone to use with my Sprint contract from them or can I just buy one and give them the EIDN and activate it?

Yeah you can do that...

Valiant
01-08-2006, 01:22 AM

I have had opposite luck since I switched from sprint to verizon.. I drop like 2-5 calls a day with Verizon..

grandllama
01-08-2006, 04:19 AM
In August I bought a $600 Pocket PC phone from Sprint when I traded in my old phone. I've had the insurance since day one four years ago.... 15 days later the glass on the phone breaks (no known impact) basically rendering the phone useless (stylus doesn't work etc)... called Sprint and they said take it back to the store... went to Lees Summit (45 miles away) and talked to the same dude that sold me the phone... (three weeks earlier) and he didn't remember me... (never mind the fact that we had an 1hour conversation about him dropping out of CMSU when I bought the phone) and then told me (after an hour wait, plus a half hour talking to the hidden manager in the back of the store that never seems to appear) that Sprint wouldn't take care of it... so they call Lockline (the company that does the insurance for Sprint & Verizon... and I think Cingular)... the girl at Lockline tells me send them the phone and they would send a replacement.... oh wait sorry, we'd have to send you a Trio because we don't have the Pocket Pc... I tell her I don't want the Trio, I bought the Pocket PC for a reason... she tells me that she understands and that to tell the Sprint store, since the phone is less than 30 days old, that they should replace it. I give the phone back to the clerk and they go around for awhile and then he tells me he's transfering the call back to the hidden manager again. After another hour, the clerk comes back and says the manager still can't help me, its between me & Lockline. So I go out to the parking lot of the store... can't get a signal (go figure) so I drive home... I call Lockline again... the Lockline clerk tells me AGAIN that Sprint should handle the claim because the phone is less than 30 days old. I call the Lees Summit store back. They make me an 'appointment' for a week later and say my new phone will be waiting for me. So I think justice has been served.

I go back one week later. I have to wait an hour even though I had an 'appointment'. When the call me, nobody has ever heard of me (even the damn clerk that sold me the POS phone). They tell me to call Lockline again. This time, instead of the $10 replacement tradeout, they want $50 charged to my CC immediately, and they STILL didn't have my phone in stock. They could only promise me a Trio 650. I told them, the clerk, and the hidden manager in back (that nobody would let me speak to) to shove up their ass and walked out.

So basically five months after the phone broke (after only working right for 2 weeks) is a nice $600 paperweight sitting on my desk.

The kicker... I talked to my sister over Christmas (she's a manager with Lockline in Salina) and she confirmed that Sprint knows about the issue with my phone and will not allow Lockline to approve claims of ANY type with the phone. She also said the Verizon & Cingular approve the claims for my type of issues everyday with that model phone.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Lived without a phone for 2 years.

Next place I live I'm done with 'em. Hate the ****ing things...

grandllama
01-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Lived without a phone for 2 years.

Next place I live I'm done with 'em. Hate the ****ing things...

'zactly. I've been without my paperweight for two months, and I don't miss it... I'll walk or drive miles out of my way to speak face to face... I hate the phone... as you found out when we were in Salem and I wanted to drop kick the mother ****er....

Bearcat
01-08-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't understand why some people hate cell phones so much.... they do have a power button, you know. My brother was ranting about how he'd never buy one because he didn't want to be available 24/7.... I told him he could always turn it off, and he said "well, if you have one, you might as well always have it on".

Ummm.... no :spock:

And FWIW, I had Cingular a few years ago and switched to T-Mobile.... Cingular might be better by now, but I have no reason to switch back. I love Sprint for putting the money towards the arena, but I've heard too many customer service horror stories to ever use their service. :(

morphius
01-08-2006, 09:44 AM
The funny thing is that you can hear these exact stories from customers of the all the cell phone companies. Because they all suck.

Bearcat
01-08-2006, 09:55 AM
The funny thing is that you can hear these exact stories from customers of the all the cell phone companies. Because they all suck.

Maybe it's due to living in KC, but I hear far more complaints about Sprint than others... T-Mobile has been wonderful, and they don't require a text message package to send/receive, like I've seen with people who have Cingular. As far as deadspots, Cingular has a few around the city... I've only found one with T-Mobile, at Red Bridge & Wornall... and when you mention Sprint, it's Overland Park ;)

Bowser
01-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Sprint sucks nuts. There was a billing issue with our family plan that they refused to make right, unless you count 20% off a new phone and a brand new two year contract "making it right". And, dropped calls were a major problem. They can all go masturbate with a cheese grater.

Just switched to Verizon with a new shpanky RAZR phone. Love it so far.

4th and Long
01-08-2006, 10:28 AM
After 8 years of agony, I dumped Sprint last year and went with T-Mobile. No more dropped calls. No more busy network. Best of all, no more taking my cell in for phone upgrades. With T-Mobile, you just pop out the battery for 1 minute, once a month, and the upgarde is done digitally. I LOVE IT!

Valiant
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
After 8 years of agony, I dumped Sprint last year and went with T-Mobile. No more dropped calls. No more busy network. Best of all, no more taking my cell in for phone upgrades. With T-Mobile, you just pop out the battery for 1 minute, once a month, and the upgarde is done digitally. I LOVE IT!

All companies allow you to do your software upgrade without taking them in.. Well unless your phone is from the 90's... And you could use it to build a foundation for a house...

CASHMAN
01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I had a Cricket phone a few years ago, and for some reason I bought the stupid insurance on it. I ended up dropping it in a bucket of water. Thank god I had the insurance...except they couldn't get me the same phone so the car charger, handsfree device and extra battery I bought for the phone were useless. They always fug you one way or another.

I have had SPRINT for over 5 years and have traded phones twice and every time i got to trade in all the old stuff for new stuff for the phone i got. As for dropped calls and all that stuff all companys will have those, i have had no problems and will continue to use sprint.

CASHMAN.

Dayze
01-08-2006, 08:22 PM
sprint is a piss poor company; both in service and in employment.

I'm amazed they are even an option when choosing a cell co.

beavis
01-08-2006, 08:59 PM
If you think the phones suck, you wouldn't believe how bad it is working there.

I've never understood the bad rap for dropped calls and what not. I've had a PCS phone for about 5 years now, and I rarely experience drops or busy network messages. Guess I've just been lucky in that regard.

morphius
01-08-2006, 09:06 PM
If you think the phones suck, you wouldn't believe how bad it is working there.

I've never understood the bad rap for dropped calls and what not. I've had a PCS phone for about 5 years now, and I rarely experience drops or busy network messages. Guess I've just been lucky in that regard.
Some day people will know that all the companies are using the same technology and sharing their networks. It always amuses me when their is only one service provider in an area, with everyone else using their towers, and they get the lowest rating.

Most of my drop calls happen in my basement, can't imagine why that could be (insert rolling eyes)

ChiefsFan4Life
01-08-2006, 09:07 PM
My contract is up next month - I will be a Cingular customer and Sprint can try all they want to get me to stay but I'll happily tell them to **** off

Bob Dole
01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I've had the same cell phone for 2 years and it appears the charging plug inside the phone has gone bad.

I love the phone, but the guy at Sprint says I can get 150 off a new phone.

It wasn't a Toshiba VM4050 by chance, was it? Bob Dole's did the same thing the week before Christmas.

Bob Dole has the insurance plan, but was informed that the nearest service center was in Dallas and there was a 3 day turnaround on repairs. "Cool. So Bob Dole can pick it up Saturday morning before leaving town on his 800 mile holiday trip?"

"Er...no sir. It's 3 business days."

"Oh...so the $5 per month insurance is the discounted price?"

"Huh?"

"Well, you're telling Bob Dole that if we were standing in Dallas right now, he'd have his phone by Saturday. But since we're here, it will be next Monday at the earliest. So since Bob Dole is getting discounted service, it's only natural to assume that Bob Dole has been paying discounted monthly premiums."

"No sir. It's the same price."

"So then you're going to let Bob Dole borrow your phone until he gets back from his trip?"

"Well no..."

"You're not understanding Bob Dole, are you?"

"I guess not."

"Let Bob Dole put it in simple terms then. Bob Dole hasn't spent nearly $120 on your shitty insurance and $80 per month for service so Bob Dole can take off on an 800 mile trip without a ****ing cell phone."

Blank stare...

"Tell you what. How about you just go ahead and pretend it's the end of March right now, and go ahead and give Bob Dole the $150 "New to You" discount on a new phone?

"I can do that. What phone are you interested in?"

"Well, the Treo 650 is $349 and has a $50 rebate right now. How about that?"

"Sure."

So Bob Dole gets handed off to another person who goes and gets the phone. Bob Dole is figuring $349-$150 is $199 up-front, then the $50 rebate from Palm and the $50 buy-back for the Toshiba puts it at $99 final price, which isn't too bad.

But hell no...Apparently if you use their New to You "reward" program for being a loyal 2-year customer, they don't give you the $150 instant savings posted on the ****ing sign right under the Treo 650, but mark the damned thing back up to $499. In essence, they give some unknown schmuck off the street the same "reward" that they give a continuing customer in good standing.

So after loudly pointing out the fact that their "reward" isn't a reward at all, Bob Dole tells the bitch to shove the Treo sideways up her ass and just replace the damned Toshiba with a new phone right-hereand-now-woof-woof. And apparently they've heard enough at this point so they agree, and hand Bob Dole a shiny new Sanyo MM8300, which carries a $279 regular price.

So instead of giving Bob Dole the $150 discount he's supposedly earned and pocketing $199 (plus tax) of Bob Dole's money that day and letting him leave with the PDA phone he wants (and a new 2 year contract), let's piss Bob Dole off (most likely leading to his switching carriers on April 1), let about 40 other customers see how shitty our customer service is (because Bob Dole can guarantee you that there wasn't a person present that didn't hear every detail of the transaction), and then hand him a $279 phone for free.

Brilliant!

Phobia
01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Sprint was great to me for 5+ years in Houston. Loved 'em. Not a single problem if you discount one dead spot where calls dropped every time I drove through there. I could live with that. I just finished my calls before I hit that spot.

Sprint in KC was abysmal. I don't throw around that word lightly. I won't bore you with stupid details. Suffice it to say my Sprint phone was worthless as was the Treo I had just purchased for my wife. I dumped 'em - they actually let me out of my contract as well - after they tried to insist I buy it out. Uh - how about NO!

Sully
01-08-2006, 11:50 PM
I must be the exception...
5+ years with Sprint, and not one problem. My broken phones have been replaced immediately at the store (in Lee's Summit) and no overbilling and few (if ever) dropped calls.

Saggysack
01-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Cingular and T-Mobile have proved to be the best in the industry at this point in time. Sprint and Verizon offer quality coverage, but rarely deliver on their promises. Verizon has horrible customer service, routinely mess with peoples bills and Sprint has horrible calling plans and massive amounts of dropped calls.

I personally have Cingular right now. And unless a better offer comes along I won't be moving my service. Offer, you say? Why yes. There are plenty of offers out there with wireless providers that pay you to take a phone. Anywhere from $20 to $200 to take one of their low range phones. You can get most mid-tier phones for free and top tier phones at reduced prices. For example, that Sanyo phone the Dole mentioned could be had in the store for a small price of $279, can be found for a smaller price of $49.99 with instant credits right this very moment. You will never find these offers in a mobile store and they will not offer you these rates either. Not only will they not give you the rebates and instant credits, they never offer the complete selection of phones from the providers.

Buying a phone from a local mobile store is a waste of time anymore. More hassle and more money coming out of your pocket than anything else. There are better deals to be had out there. You just have to look for them.

Saggysack
01-09-2006, 06:00 AM
I must be the exception...
5+ years with Sprint, and not one problem. My broken phones have been replaced immediately at the store (in Lee's Summit) and no overbilling and few (if ever) dropped calls.

You are the exception. Sprint has the worst rated service out of all wireless providers. Been that way for years.

Consider it a blessing you get good service from them because it definately isn't the norm from them.

Just for my own curiosity, how many minutes do you use a month? I'm at about 1500mins a mos. and I never have any overage fees. You?

the Talking Can
01-09-2006, 06:14 AM
So instead of giving Bob Dole the $150 discount he's supposedly earned and pocketing $199 (plus tax) of Bob Dole's money that day and letting him leave with the PDA phone he wants (and a new 2 year contract), let's piss Bob Dole off (most likely leading to his switching carriers on April 1), let about 40 other customers see how shitty our customer service is (because Bob Dole can guarantee you that there wasn't a person present that didn't hear every detail of the transaction), and then hand him a $279 phone for free.

Brilliant!

god bless customer service...

kepp
01-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Based on my experiences with Sprint, I encourage everyone to jump that ship ASAP. I experienced something similar to Bob Dole. Wanted to use my "trade-in" credit for a new phone but, by using the trade-in credit, all the other discounts on the phone were void. Huh? On top of that, they informed me that I wouldn't be able to keep the plan I had been on for nearly 5 years and had to go to a different, suckier plan. I cancelled my plan right there and walked down to the T-Mobile store. Who knows...T-Mobile may do the same thing in 5 years, but I couldn't stay with Sprint knowing that's how they "value" their long-term customers.

jynni
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
I laugh and laugh and laugh readng this thread.

And yes - replace Sprint with Cingular/TMobile/XYZ Mobil and a hundred other people can tell how horrible that service was.

You hear about it more in KC because the area is saturated with Spint users.

I used Sprint for about six years and have never had a problem.

Bob Dole
01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
I laugh and laugh and laugh readng this thread.

And yes - replace Sprint with Cingular/TMobile/XYZ Mobil and a hundred other people can tell how horrible that service was.

You hear about it more in KC because the area is saturated with Spint users.

I used Sprint for about six years and have never had a problem.

Bob Dole isn't all that upset with the coverage and dropped calls--that's going to happen with almost any carrier. Sprint's customer service definitely needs an overhaul.

Skip Towne
01-09-2006, 08:00 AM
It wasn't a Toshiba VM4050 by chance, was it? Bob Dole's did the same thing the week before Christmas.

Bob Dole has the insurance plan, but was informed that the nearest service center was in Dallas and there was a 3 day turnaround on repairs. "Cool. So Bob Dole can pick it up Saturday morning before leaving town on his 800 mile holiday trip?"

"Er...no sir. It's 3 business days."

"Oh...so the $5 per month insurance is the discounted price?"

"Huh?"

"Well, you're telling Bob Dole that if we were standing in Dallas right now, he'd have his phone by Saturday. But since we're here, it will be next Monday at the earliest. So since Bob Dole is getting discounted service, it's only natural to assume that Bob Dole has been paying discounted monthly premiums."

"No sir. It's the same price."

"So then you're going to let Bob Dole borrow your phone until he gets back from his trip?"

"Well no..."

"You're not understanding Bob Dole, are you?"

"I guess not."

"Let Bob Dole put it in simple terms then. Bob Dole hasn't spent nearly $120 on your shitty insurance and $80 per month for service so Bob Dole can take off on an 800 mile trip without a ****ing cell phone."

Blank stare...

"Tell you what. How about you just go ahead and pretend it's the end of March right now, and go ahead and give Bob Dole the $150 "New to You" discount on a new phone?

"I can do that. What phone are you interested in?"

"Well, the Treo 650 is $349 and has a $50 rebate right now. How about that?"

"Sure."

So Bob Dole gets handed off to another person who goes and gets the phone. Bob Dole is figuring $349-$150 is $199 up-front, then the $50 rebate from Palm and the $50 buy-back for the Toshiba puts it at $99 final price, which isn't too bad.

But hell no...Apparently if you use their New to You "reward" program for being a loyal 2-year customer, they don't give you the $150 instant savings posted on the ****ing sign right under the Treo 650, but mark the damned thing back up to $499. In essence, they give some unknown schmuck off the street the same "reward" that they give a continuing customer in good standing.

So after loudly pointing out the fact that their "reward" isn't a reward at all, Bob Dole tells the bitch to shove the Treo sideways up her ass and just replace the damned Toshiba with a new phone right-hereand-now-woof-woof. And apparently they've heard enough at this point so they agree, and hand Bob Dole a shiny new Sanyo MM8300, which carries a $279 regular price.

Brilliant!
Troublemaker

Bob Dole
02-11-2006, 02:42 PM
FWIW, here's an update.

Bob Dole went to check the Treo 650 prices on the Sprint site a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the bastards have now changed the effective date for Bob Dole's $150 "New for You" rebate to 12/2007. Apparently, since they opted to replace Bob Dole's Toshiba VM rather than repair it, it logged as a new phone activation and bumped the "New for You" eligibility date forward. Bob Dole was annoyed, but opted not to do anything about it until closer to the original March date.

So Bob Dole was paying bills this morning and noticed that his usual Sprint PCS bill was $1.97 higher than normal. After wading through 6 pages of nonsense, it boiled down to some game playing with the Equipment Protection Plan, which apparently went up yet again to $6 per month.

Equip Prot Jan 1 to Jan 1 = 0.16
Equip Prot Jan 1 to Jan 31 = -5.00
Equip Prot Feb 1 to Feb 28 = 6.00
Equip Prot Jan 2 to Jan 31 = 5.81

Now ignoring that 5.81+16 doesn't add up to 6.00, Bob Dole is wondering why the **** they are jacking with the January protection billing on this bill anyway, since January was paid for with the December billing. So Bob Dole decided he felt like being a PITA and called Sprint customer service figuring he'd kill two birds with one stone.

After Bob Dole finally got the CSR to understand that if he's being billed in advance for Feb's protection plan, it's fairly logical to assume that Jan's was paid for in advance as well and shouldn't be on this bill at all, they didn't have any problem. Then we get into the whole "New for You" discussion and things go south fast.

Apparently, Sprint doesn't really want to offer you any sort of reward for having maintained an account with them in good standing for 2 years, and the store's original tactic of not honoring the $150 instant savings if you are a current customer is SOP.

After about 45 minutes and bumping up the food chain, Bob Dole did get them to offer a Treo 650 for $449, with a $150 "New for You" rebate. With the current Palm $50 rebate, that would put the final price at $249, which isn't all that bad but is still a ****load of money for a damned phone. They are no longer running the buy-back program that would have netted Bob Dole an additional $75 for his original Toshiba, which would have brought the out-of-pocket down under $200 and is all Bob Dole was looking for in the first place.

Anyone want to buy a barely used Sanyo MM-8300 that still has the protective plastic covering on the internal screen?

4th and Long
02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Apparently, Sprint doesn't really want to offer you any sort of reward for having maintained an account with them in good standing for 2 years
I stayed with those bastards for 7+ years until I finally had enough of their crap. SPRINT cares not about their customers. It's no wonder they have lay off after lay off. People are dropping them left and right.

SLAG
02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I have had them All...

Starting with Cellular One... Then they got bought out by verizon So i used them... then I got a job for sprint so i had sprint for 2 years... (Sprint Quality and Verizon Quality-Both CDMA- were the worst i have ever had) then I didnt have a phone for awhile then signed up with Virgin Mobile then ATT Prepaid then I went and did a 1 yr Contract with Cingular and then when that Was up I switched to NeXtel

I LOVE nextel

LOVE IT!

Call Quality is top Notch and I have a Man Crush on the Walkie Talkie.

my $279 i875 (i870) is on its way

Bob Dole
02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I stayed with those bastards for 7+ years until I finally had enough of their crap. SPRINT cares not about their customers. It's no wonder they have lay off after lay off. People are dropping them left and right.

If Bob Dole can find a comparable plan, he'll be gone in March. The problem is that most of the folks Bob Dole talks to are also with Sprint, so Bob Dole will need to adjust his calling habits.

4th and Long
02-11-2006, 02:55 PM
If Bob Dole can find a comparable plan, he'll be gone in March. The problem is that most of the folks Bob Dole talks to are also with Sprint, so Bob Dole will need to adjust his calling habits.
I see your delima. Good luck. You're going to need it.

SLAG
02-11-2006, 02:56 PM

Go with Nextel.

you get the Mobile to Mobile (Sprint to Nextel and Visa Versa)

and that should solve your problems

49 bucks for 300 Outgoing Min. Unlimted N&W, Unlimited Incoming Calls, Free Long Distance Unlimited Walkie Talkie

Valiant
02-11-2006, 04:22 PM
FWIW, here's an update.

Bob Dole went to check the Treo 650 prices on the Sprint site a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the bastards have now changed the effective date for Bob Dole's $150 "New for You" rebate to 12/2007. Apparently, since they opted to replace Bob Dole's Toshiba VM rather than repair it, it logged as a new phone activation and bumped the "New for You" eligibility date forward. Bob Dole was annoyed, but opted not to do anything about it until closer to the original March date.

So Bob Dole was paying bills this morning and noticed that his usual Sprint PCS bill was $1.97 higher than normal. After wading through 6 pages of nonsense, it boiled down to some game playing with the Equipment Protection Plan, which apparently went up yet again to $6 per month.

Now ignoring that 5.81+16 doesn't add up to 6.00, Bob Dole is wondering why the **** they are jacking with the January protection billing on this bill anyway, since January was paid for with the December billing. So Bob Dole decided he felt like being a PITA and called Sprint customer service figuring he'd kill two birds with one stone.

After Bob Dole finally got the CSR to understand that if he's being billed in advance for Feb's protection plan, it's fairly logical to assume that Jan's was paid for in advance as well and shouldn't be on this bill at all, they didn't have any problem. Then we get into the whole "New for You" discussion and things go south fast.

Apparently, Sprint doesn't really want to offer you any sort of reward for having maintained an account with them in good standing for 2 years, and the store's original tactic of not honoring the $150 instant savings if you are a current customer is SOP.

After about 45 minutes and bumping up the food chain, Bob Dole did get them to offer a Treo 650 for $449, with a $150 "New for You" rebate. With the current Palm $50 rebate, that would put the final price at $249, which isn't all that bad but is still a ****load of money for a damned phone. They are no longer running the buy-back program that would have netted Bob Dole an additional $75 for his original Toshiba, which would have brought the out-of-pocket down under $200 and is all Bob Dole was looking for in the first place.

Anyone want to buy a barely used Sanyo MM-8300 that still has the protective plastic covering on the internal screen?

You can also try this to get cheaper newer phones...

1. Go to Sprint or any retailer that sells thier phones or any carrier you want... Preferably a 3rd party retailer because they have better rebates in addition to manufacturer rebates..

2. Sign a new contract, not a old one or existing one... You need to sign the new contract, that way you get all the rebates and cheaper price up front...

3. Go home and cancel the contract that night or the next day.. You usually have 14 day grace period or return policy before they hit you with the cancelation fee... Make sure you cancel the phone over the phone.. The stores will try and force you to return the phone if you do it there... You can say it got stolen, but doing it over the phone is easier...

4. After phone is canceled, call in the new phone and have them transfer your old account into the new phone either thru sim, or ied numbers...

This way you get the phone you want, a cheaper price up front and possibly a rebate from the 3rd party seller like best buy...

Valiant
02-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Actually they lay them off because they pay their customer service people 40+k a year.. Hell I have friends that have worked there for 3 years making 60k a year.. They pay way to much for the labor and give out raises and bonus to often...

The Bad Guy
02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
I have had them All...

Starting with Cellular One... Then they got bought out by verizon So i used them... then I got a job for sprint so i had sprint for 2 years... (Sprint Quality and Verizon Quality-Both CDMA- were the worst i have ever had) then I didnt have a phone for awhile then signed up with Virgin Mobile then ATT Prepaid then I went and did a 1 yr Contract with Cingular and then when that Was up I switched to NeXtel

I LOVE nextel

LOVE IT!

Call Quality is top Notch and I have a Man Crush on the Walkie Talkie.

my $279 i875 (i870) is on its way

Coincidentally, I hate Nextel and feel the walkie-talkie is the most overrated cell phone add-on ever.

My brother had Nextel. He was held up with a knife in Boston and had to give the guy his cell phone and wallet.

Right after the altercation, he called Nextel to shutdown his service until he could afford to get a new phone.

After about a month, he got a new phone. You would think that since his phone was STOLEN that they would waive the bill for the month? Not a chance. He had to pay for the whole month when he didn't have a phone because he couldn't afford one after the incident.

He got his new phone and after a month it died. He took it to Nextel and they told him he would have to buy a new phone because his broken phone was his fault because it was dropped.

He was adament he never dropped it that it just stopped turning on.

After that moment, he said he would pay the disconnect fee and end his service with Nextel.

They sent him a 600 dollar bill for early termination. The early termiantion fee was 250 (I believe, not 100% on that) and he called for an itemized bill for why it was so much.

They have yet to send one. But they keep insisting he pay 600 dollars.

I would never invest a dollar of my money after the way he was treated.

The Bad Guy
02-11-2006, 04:34 PM
FWIW, here's an update.

Just wait till you activate your new phone and they hit you with a 37 dollar new phone activation fee.

They refused to waive mine. It's all because of the merge with Nextel.

Simplex3
02-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Coincidentally, I hate Nextel and feel the walkie-talkie is the most overrated cell phone add-on ever.
Nextel's push to talk was implemented because they had extra RF bandwidth. They're the only major carrier I know of that used the Motorola branded network (can't think of the name, GSM is TMobile and Cingular, CDMA is Sprint and Verizon). That Motorola network had a spare channel just for sending a signal from the handset to the tower to indicate "I want to place a call". That channel was half duplex, so they couldn't run regular voice calls on it but the COULD run walkie-talkie type calls on it. They started offering the push to talk calls for free because the call never left their network and they were just using up otherwise wasted RF space on their network.

Bet that was more than you wanted to know, huh? :)

SLAG
02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Nextel's push to talk was implemented because they had extra RF bandwidth. They're the only major carrier I know of that used the Motorola branded network (can't think of the name, GSM is TMobile and Cingular, CDMA is Sprint and Verizon)..

Bet that was more than you wanted to know, huh? :)

Its called iDEN

and We can discuss all day

StcChief
02-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Just wait till you activate your new phone and they hit you with a 37 dollar new phone activation fee.

They refused to waive mine. It's all because of the merge with Nextel.

Some how if you order phone off website, this can be waived.... the $37 is for the store guy to do it. I've been told.
I bitched when I got ours 3 years ago, and they dropped the fee, gave as credit on my first bill.

trndobrd
02-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Sprint = keep all of your billing statements forever.

Twice I was billed for charges on month A, paid month B, and rebilled in month C for the very thing I paid the previous month. Why they would pay good money for customer service reps with math skills below the 4th grade level is beyond me. Connectivity issues I can live with, screwing up my bill is not acceptable.

Enjoying T-mobile now.