PDA

View Full Version : Patriots-Broncos Predictions

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Okay, guys....I'm thinking Denver is going down. Could even be an embarrassing blowout, at home, even.

What say you? :)

Valiant
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
31-21 pats

Iowanian
Patriot fans Happy
Donkey fans weeping.

Chief fans laughing.

tk13
Denver 21
New England 20

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Patriot fans Happy
Donkey fans weeping.

Chief fans laughing.

Could be an azz whoopin' too. :)

Nzoner
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll take the Pats in a real nail biter,Vinaterri hits the game winner once again as time expires.

jspchief
01-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Denver wins by less than 7.

New England's "rebirth" has come against mostly cupcakes. I'm still not convinced they are the same 'ol NE Patriots. Denver will get enough pressure to rattle Brady like the Chiefs did, and they'll be able to run on the Pats D.

Bull
01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
DONKO'S take take this one by 10.

Nzoner
01-08-2006, 10:06 PM

New England's "rebirth" has come against mostly cupcakes. I'm still not convinced they are the same 'ol NE Patriots. Denver will get enough pressure to rattle Brady like the Chiefs did, and they'll be able to run on the Pats D.

the mrs looking over your shoulder again ;)

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Pats 45 Donks 0

The Rat gets fired!!

Guru
01-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Pats 45 Donks 0

The Rat gets fired!!

Rat would resign if he took a beating like that. And still get stoned by the fans.

jspchief
01-08-2006, 10:12 PM
the mrs looking over your shoulder again ;)I don't want the dirty fuggers to win. :mad:

But I think NE's resurgence is a little over-hyped. Their last 7 regular season wins came against Jets (2), Bills (2), Dolphins, Saints, and Bucs. Only the Bucs win impresses me. Then they beat a Jags team that got in the play-offs on schedule.

KC's defense was all over Brady's shit. I think Denver can do the same thing. I hate Denver, but they have a solid defense and a legit rushing attack. I hate to say it, but I think they are the better team, and home field helps that much more.

dirk digler
01-08-2006, 10:19 PM
My analysis is simple. Belichick is something like 21-2 against teams that they previously lost to during the season.

Nzoner
01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't want the dirty fuggers to win. :mad:

But I think NE's resurgence is a little over-hyped. Their last 7 regular season wins came against Jets (2), Bills (2), Dolphins, Saints, and Bucs. Only the Bucs win impresses me. Then they beat a Jags team that got in the play-offs on schedule.

KC's defense was all over Brady's shit. I think Denver can do the same thing. I hate Denver, but they have a solid defense and a legit rushing attack. I hate to say it, but I think they are the better team, and home field helps that much more.

I hear ya,my Vinaterri winning in the closing seconds is the donk hater coming out in me.I really think the donks have a good shot here,I'm just hoping Jake reverts back to his old ways.

tk13
01-08-2006, 10:28 PM

That Bucs game was Tampa's third straight road game, too. That's pretty rare nowadays. There was no way they were winning that game.

alanm
01-08-2006, 10:35 PM

Besides the reasons you mentioned, I think it's going to come down to Denvers mind set. Rat's going to have to convince them that they can win. And I don't really know if he can beat Bellichek-sp in that game. If NE jumps on them from the get go the Bronco's may go belly up.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2006, 11:01 PM
It would be fun to see the donkies get punked in their backyard. I'd love to see Plummint toss 5 ints.
and give a few hand jestures to the crowd...

Taco John
01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
My analysis is simple. Belichick is something like 21-2 against teams that they previously lost to during the season.

Yeah, I've learned that kind of analysis isn't very valuable.

alanm
01-08-2006, 11:29 PM
TJ, have you heard what the line is on the game? I was just wondering. :hmmm:

SoCalBronco
01-09-2006, 12:37 AM
what a surprise. Chiefs fans think the Broncos will lose.

Joe Seahawk
01-09-2006, 12:55 AM

Date & Time Favorite NFL Spread Underdog
1/14 4:30 ET At Seattle -9 Washington
1/14 8:00 ET At Denver -3.5 New England
1/15 1:00 ET At Indianapolis -9.5 Pittsburgh
1/15 4:30 ET At Chicago -3 Carolina

Count Zarth
01-09-2006, 01:00 AM

What a surprise. Broncos fans think the Patriots will lose.

Taco John
01-09-2006, 02:14 AM

Denver -3

Wallcrawler
01-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Denver is extremely tough at home. I dont really see the Patriots pulling this one off. Im taking the Broncos by 8 or more. They already beat them once at home this year, I dont really see Corey Dillon and Richard Seymour making that big of a difference. Denver at home is capable of beating any team in the league.

Id also like to finally see someone beat the damn Patriots so that I dont have to listen to anymore "Tom Brady Undefeated in Postseason" BS.

The Patriots piss me off. Im tired of seeing them win, tired of their stupid displays in the media as well. One minute the team is bitching about not getting their respect, and then one of the main whiners, Willie McGinnest comes out after their playoff win and when asked where he thinks people rank their defense now, he responds with "We dont care."

Well, if you pussies dont care, then shut the f*ck up.

I want to see some team, ANY Team, even the Broncos, take down the Patriots, and take them down HARD. I want to see the type of obliteration in the playoffs that carries over into a 3-13 record the next year. It would be so nice to go a season without hearing all the analysts ready to bow down and give pretty boy Tom Brady and the Patriots head at any given moment.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 05:40 AM

I don't want to suggest, even for a moment, that the Chiefs game wasn't a thorough whipping of my boys by your boys, BUT Brady's 4 picks involved like 3 tipped balls. It seemed like if anybody tipped it, it automatically went into a Chiefs player's hands. That's not luck -- it's the result of hard work, but it did suck, and it's not exactly easily replicated.

Let me put it this way, if Brady and the Pats can avoid turnovers, then this game should be highly competitive to say the least.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Denver is extremely tough at home. I dont really see the Patriots pulling this one off. Im taking the Broncos by 8 or more. They already beat them once at home this year, I dont really see Corey Dillon and Richard Seymour making that big of a difference. Denver at home is capable of beating any team in the league.

Id also like to finally see someone beat the damn Patriots so that I dont have to listen to anymore "Tom Brady Undefeated in Postseason" BS.

The Patriots piss me off. Im tired of seeing them win, tired of their stupid displays in the media as well. One minute the team is bitching about not getting their respect, and then one of the main whiners, Willie McGinnest comes out after their playoff win and when asked where he thinks people rank their defense now, he responds with "We dont care."

Well, if you pussies dont care, then shut the f*ck up.

I want to see some team, ANY Team, even the Broncos, take down the Patriots, and take them down HARD. I want to see the type of obliteration in the playoffs that carries over into a 3-13 record the next year. It would be so nice to go a season without hearing all the analysts ready to bow down and give pretty boy Tom Brady and the Patriots head at any given moment.

ROFL Don't hold back, how do you REALLY feel? :p

Fruit Ninja
01-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I think Broncos are going to kill em, by at least 14. Broncos are to good at home.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 05:56 AM
If this game were in NE... I'm not as optimistic, however it's in Denver.

Broncos 30
Patriots 24

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I picked Pats by less than 7.

IMHO it ought to be a close, competitive game with the margin of victory less than 7 either way.

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Donkos 27
Pats 23

KCFalcon59
01-09-2006, 06:15 AM
I'd love to see NE win. But this game is in denver. I just can't see NE overcoming that denver luck/cheating/vaselinewearing/buyingoffrefs magic.

:D

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 06:21 AM
I'd love to see NE win. But this game is in denver. I just can't see NE overcoming that denver luck/cheating/vaselinewearing/buyingoffrefs magic.

:D

Save time by just typing "Mile High" Magic.

KCFalcon59
01-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Save time by just typing "Mile High" Magic.

I needed the exercise. :)

dirk digler
01-09-2006, 06:42 AM

Hey they odds are at least in my favor.

IMO it is going to be a close game by I think the Pats win by 10 with a late TD.

jspchief
01-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't want to suggest, even for a moment, that the Chiefs game wasn't a thorough whipping of my boys by your boys, BUT Brady's 4 picks involved like 3 tipped balls. It seemed like if anybody tipped it, it automatically went into a Chiefs player's hands. That's not luck -- it's the result of hard work, but it did suck, and it's not exactly easily replicated.

Let me put it this way, if Brady and the Pats can avoid turnovers, then this game should be highly competitive to say the least.My opinion is that Brady can be rattled. It doesn't happen often, but it's happened. The Chiefs game this year ,and the Dolphins game last year are two examples that come to mind.

And the Chiefs game was about more than just INTs. We got a good lick on Brady early, and he never really looked comfortable in the pocket after that. Whether we got those picks or not, we had Brady off his game.

It may sound cliche, but it comes down to getting to the QB, and protecting the QB. I believe Denver has the personnell to get to Brady. I don't know if they can keep NE off of Plummer. The return of players to NE's defense has allowed them to play more aggressive D, so they me be able to get to The Fake.

My overall opinion is that NE just isn't of the same caliber as they have been in the past. Denver is a very good team, playing in the freindly confines of Incestco. Donkeys are the better team, and will likely win.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 07:32 AM
You're a good man Jsp...

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2006, 08:11 AM

We do not think....we KNOW.

Heh. ;)

ct
01-09-2006, 08:13 AM
24-20 pats

cadmonkey
01-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I got to be honest, I was more looking forward to playing Indy. For some reason the donks scare me a little bit. Although we did lose to Denver when our defense was in complete turmoil, and we are playing pretty well now.

I say the pats win 24-21

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 08:33 AM
For some reason the donks scare me a little bit.

Prolly cuz you remember, like I do, 11 losses in a row to them.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 08:46 AM
NE was able to pull off a squeaker against Denver a couple of years ago... when Kannel was playing.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 08:58 AM
NE was able to pull off a squeaker against Denver a couple of years ago... when Kannel was playing.

Right. Same game where two of our three starting defensive linemen, including All-Pro Richard Seymour and Best NoseGuard in History Ted Washington, were out with injuries. I think we had a few more injuries (Ty Law mebbe?).

You guys also had Jason Elam injured or somesuch.

Suffice to say both sides weren't exactly 100% healthy.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:04 AM
At least you can always play the injury card... Seymour is a health risk apparently. Maybe he just doesn't like playing Denver.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 09:06 AM
At least you can always play the injury card... Seymour is a health risk apparently. Maybe he just doesn't like playing Denver.

:shrug: You played it first, noting Kannell was in there for you guys.

Seymour will be there Saturday, have no fear.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:07 AM
:shrug: You played it first, noting Kannell was in there for you guys.

Seymour will be there Saturday, have no fear.

Not quite, you've littered a few threads with why NE didn't win in Denver earlier this year. No worries ... it's ok.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Not quite, you've littered a few threads with why NE didn't win in Denver earlier this year. No worries ... it's ok.

I meant solely in reference to the Kannell game. If you had said that the Pats beat you by a squeaker, then I wouldn't have said a word about the Pats injuries. You mention Kannell, who was only playing due to injury, so I'm forced to mention my own team's injuries.

As for the last game -- I think if I took away you two top RBs, your best defensive linemen and another very good defensive lineman, one of your best linebackers, and assorted other guys, you'd probably feel some small need to mention it if my team pummelled yours.

Let me put it this way -- the Broncos killed the Patriots back in October or whenever it was, but this is a completely different Patriots team from the one you played against before, for many reasons. Perhaps you'll win again, but I wouldn't say "we should clearly win next Saturday cuz we killed them in October," because that's invalid logic. You played Pats-lite that day.

PatsFanDan
01-09-2006, 09:21 AM

Well forget about the injuries. How about the fact that the Pats D just plain sucked earlier in the season. Whether it was because of injuries, personnel that sucked (see Duane Starks), vanilla scheming or a combination of all........do you really think this is the same team you faced mid-season?

I mean Willie Mcginest had 4.5 sacks Saturday night. I remember about 7 or 8 weeks ago when the Pats D-line was getting about as close to the opposing QB as I was up in my 300 level seats at Gillette stadium.

This is not the same team you guys played earlier in the year. You don't have to take my word for it though. You will see firsthand Saturday night.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't say "we should clearly win next Saturday cuz we killed them in October," because that's invalid logic. You played Pats-lite that day.

And, I've never made anything near that statement. Injuries happen... hell Anderson was dinged up to end the season and Darrent Williams has missed many weeks with a groin pull. Injuries are a factor that teams cannot avoid.

I think Denver will win on Sunday b/c it's in Denver and for the most part, they have a healthy team that is playing very well on both sides of the ball.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Well forget about the injuries. How about the fact that the Pats D just plain sucked earlier in the season. Whether it was because of injuries, personnel that sucked (see Duane Starks), vanilla scheming or a combination of all........do you really think this is the same team you faced mid-season?

I mean Willie Mcginest had 4.5 sacks Saturday night. I remember about 7 or 8 weeks ago when the Pats D-line was getting about as close to the opposing QB as I was up in my 300 level seats at Gillette stadium.

This is not the same team you guys played earlier in the year. You don't have to take my word for it though. You will see firsthand Saturday night.

If you have read all of my comments, you'll notice that I've said as much in regards to NE now (in the playoffs) compared to week 6. Denver has also improved from their play in week 6. At that time, Denver had a knack for sitting on big leads and letting teams come back, nearly winning. They've closed out games better down the stretch.

Offensively, Denver has a sound attack... and receivers other than Rod Smith have decided to step up and actually catch balls. Our young secondary is playing much better and Champ is healthy.

I like Shanahan and Denver at home with 2 weeks to prepare for any club.

dirk digler
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
If you have read all of my comments, you'll notice that I've said as much in regards to NE now (in the playoffs) compared to week 6. Denver has also improved from their play in week 6. At that time, Denver had a knack for sitting on big leads and letting teams come back, nearly winning. They've closed out games better down the stretch.

Except the Chiefs/LJ dominated you guys in the 4th quarter here.... :p

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Amnorix... I need to get your thoughts on this now. On a scale of 1 to 10... 1 being "beat up" and 10 being "really healthy"... where do you rank NE going into Saturday's game? I just want to get that out early. :p

If I'm rating Denver... I put them at a 7 or 8, based on Anderson and Darrent Williams.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Except the Chiefs/LJ dominated you guys in the 4th quarter here.... :p

Yes, they did... but it was a pretty close game.

dirk digler
01-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes, they did... but it was a pretty close game.

It was and NE doesn't have anyone as good as LJ running the ball which is a plus for you guys.

Lurch
01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Amnorix... I need to get your thoughts on this now. On a scale of 1 to 10... 1 being "beat up" and 10 being "really healthy"... where do you rank NE going into Saturday's game? I just want to get that out early. :p

If I'm rating Denver... I put them at a 7 or 8, based on Anderson and Darrent Williams.

NE is much healthier than they were the first time they visited MileHigh. And you are purposefully low-ballling your rating of Denver. Denver is nearly 100%. Williams and Foxworth, Anderson and Bell/Dayne are interchangeable--just ask the folks at the Mane.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
NE is much healthier than they were the first time they visited MileHigh. And you are purposefully low-ballling your rating of Denver. Denver is nearly 100%. Williams and Foxworth, Anderson and Bell/Dayne are interchangeable--just ask the folks at the Mane.

At this point with starters and depth, I think it would be silly to list any team as being a 10 on that healthy scale. Anderson and Williams appear to be ready to go, but Williams is more "iffy". No, I'm not purposefully low-balling the rating.

Anderson and Bell are pretty equal in what they can do on that offense, but not Dayne... he's more of the 8 carry a game variety. I don't think he could do too much as a full-time starter with 20+ carries.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 09:48 AM
It was and NE doesn't have anyone as good as LJ running the ball which is a plus for you guys.

NE is going to be damn tough anywhere in the playoffs. Yes, they're healthier, but I think Faulk is a bigger rushing threat than Dillon at this point... that being said, I will be happy to see Dillon getting a lot of carries.

Defensively, yes ... NE should be better. Denver's offensive focus is running the ball and they're damn good at it, and I don't expect that to change on Saturday.

It should be a close and exciting game... NE is going to give Denver more than they'd care to see on Saturday, but they're equipped to deal with it.

Defensively - Denver still has issues actually sacking the QB, but the Dline has played better than in recent years. Sure, they give up some yards passing... ranked 15th overall, but they rank a mere 4th overall in points allowed. Oh and they've been undefeated in Denver this year.

So, I'm a bit optimistic on their chances. :)

dirk digler
01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
NE is going to be damn tough anywhere in the playoffs. Yes, they're healthier, but I think Faulk is a bigger rushing threat than Dillon at this point... that being said, I will be happy to see Dillon getting a lot of carries.

Defensively, yes ... NE should be better. Denver's offensive focus is running the ball and they're damn good at it, and I don't expect that to change on Saturday.

It should be a close and exciting game... NE is going to give Denver more than they'd care to see on Saturday, but they're equipped to deal with it.

Defensively - Denver still has issues actually sacking the QB, but the Dline has played better than in recent years. Sure, they give up some yards passing... ranked 15th overall, but they rank a mere 4th overall in points allowed. Oh and they've been undefeated in Denver this year.

So, I'm a bit optimistic on their chances. :)

IMO this is the marquee game of the week. It is going to be a classic and I am excited to watch it.

With that being said Belichick just doesn't lose to the same team twice in 1 season. I can't get over that fact especially since they have been playing really well of late. If they had been limping into the playoffs it would be a different story but they seem to be getting stronger.

I predicated several weeks ago that the AFC Championship would be Denver vs Indy but the Pats have made me re-think that because of the way they are playing right now.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Anything can happen.

dirk digler
01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Anything can happen.

I agree. I won't be surprised at all if the Broncos win. They have a very good running game and a solid D. I think this game will hinge on whether Plummer can make the plays to win the game or will he throw INT's.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Solid viewpoint from Clayton... the key to the "improved Pats run defense" is almost balanced b/t the players they got back from injury and that pathetic schedule down the stretch in regards to opposing rushing attacks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2285190

1. Would you believe the NFL's best run defense in the second half of the season was the Patriots? It's true and that defense will get a great test against the Broncos. The Patriots gave up only 68.6 yards a game rushing in the second half of the season. In the first eight games, the Patriots were gashed for 128.8 yards a game. During that time, they were without defensive end Richard Seymour -- a disruptive force along the line -- for four games because of a knee injury. It also helped getting Tedy Bruschi back although he missed Saturday's playoff game against the Jaguars with a calf injury. Probably just as significant was that nose tackle Vince Wilfork improved in the second half of the season. Earlier in the year, Wilfork was being pushed back with one blocker in a lot of instances. Of course, a lot of the Patriots' second-half success stopping the run came at the expense of their weaker AFC East rivals. The Jets and Bills couldn't do anything against the Patriots in the four games in the second half. The Patriots come into the game with a lot of confidence, but they still have some fundamental problems.

2. The Broncos matchup is a bad one for the Patriots, who lost in Denver 28-20 on Oct. 16. It's a bad matchup for two reasons. First, the Broncos running game will be hard for the Patriots to stop. The Broncos gained 178 yards on the Patriots on 34 carries, and they gashed the Patriots for long runs. Center Tom Nalen will be a tough challenge for Wilfork. Plus, Tatum Bell has the speed and power to burn them again. In many ways, Bell is the most dangerous runner for the Patriots to stop. As long as he doesn't dance at the line of scrimmage, he can hit the holes with speed and power. This is why the Patriots will need Bruschi's experience at inside linebacker. The combo of Mike Vrabel and Monty Beisel will have a hard time preventing Bell from ripping big runs through the middle of the defense. Mike Shanahan will start Mike Anderson but Bell will see a lot of action.

The other reason the Broncos are a tough matchup is that they can get the ball deep. Ashley Lelie is a deep threat and he's big. Rod Smith got deep on the Patriots, and before long, the Broncos led in the first game, 28-3. That game was never in question. With six New England defensive backs out for the season, the secondary is vulnerable to teams with the ability to get the ball deep. Jake Plummer will scramble to buy time for those long attempts.

3. Corey Dillon's injuries have made the Patriots' rushing attack inconsistent all season. Dillon missed a decent amount of the Jaguars game and the running offense was bailed out by Kevin Faulk, who is effective as a runner and a pass catcher. The Patriots averaged only 94.5 rushing yards a game and a mere 3.4 yards a carry. The Patriots had only five regular season games in which they had more than 100 rushing yards as a team. In many ways, the Patriots' offense is closer to the first two Super Bowl teams than last year's. Dillon could be counted on getting 100 yards individually in 2004. It's become a Tom Brady offense with limited support from the running game. Few defenses have frustrated Brady this season, but for this game, the Patriots need Dillon. Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer does a nice job designing zone blitz schemes but sometimes relies on them too much. The best way to beat a zone-blitzing team is to run, which his why the Patriots need much, much more from Dillon or Faulk.

4. The Broncos move to acquire four former members of the Cleveland Browns' defensive line improved the depth and the defensive fortunes of the Broncos, but it didn't do much for the pass rush. The Broncos had only 28 sacks as a team, including only 10 sacks by Cleveland castoffs Ebenezer Ekuban, Courtney Brown, Michael Myers and Gerard Warren. Last year, the Broncos had 38 sacks, including 10 by departed defensive end Reggie Hayward. The most dangerous player on the line is defensive end Trevor Pryce, who surprisingly had only four sacks. Pryce should be able to dominate Patriots left tackle Nick Kaczur, a rookie. Pryce is physical and quick. He can beat a blocker with power or speed. Well rested because of the bye week, Pryce could be extra dangerous. The Patriots will probably have to put a tight end on Kaczur's side to help block Pryce. If not, Brady could be forced into making some quick throws and potentially some mistakes. Watch for Pryce to be a big factor in the game.

5. With the extra week to prepare, it will be interesting to see what new things Mike Shanahan comes up with to try against the Patriots' defense. It wouldn't be surprising if he uses his tight ends -- Jeb Putzier and Stephen Alexander -- to test the coverage ability of the Patriots' safeties. The Patriots' defense hasn't been the same without Rodney Harrison, who was one of the main leaders of the defense. Eugene Wilson does a good job in coverage, and he is physical. Because of the injuries, the Patriots have been converting other cornerbacks into safeties. They've done that with Artrell Hawkins. While Hawkins is known for his coverage, Shanahan could try to test his ability to make tackles down field against Putzier and Alexander. The Patriots are one of the few teams in the NFL that has gone "four corners." Because of their injuries, they've had no choice. That may help in some coverage matchups but it hurts in tackling. If running plays get into the secondary, they could result in longer runs. If the corners-turned safeties don't matchup against the tight ends, that's a problem. We'll see if Shanahan will try to test that.

--------
Inside Patriots-Broncos
X-factor: The Patriots. Are they back to being a Super Bowl-caliber team or did the schedule just make them a playoff team that could be eliminated in this round? They have improved in defending the run. They have one of the most dangerous passing games in football. Tom Brady continues to work his magic through the air. But how good are they?
X-and-O factor: Jake Plummer seems to have overcome his problems against 3-4 defenses, but Bill Belichick will look through all the tape to see if he can keep Plummer in the pocket. In the past, Plummer had horrible days against 3-4 schemes that restricted him to being just a pocket passer. In the pocket, Plummer was a 50-percent passer in past years. Now, he's better, but Belichick will see what schemes might cause him problems. That's what he does the best.

Rx factor (health): The Broncos are healthy coming off the bye. They will have Darrent Williams back at cornerback. He's been fighting a high ankle sprain. The Patriots didn't play Tedy Bruschi against Jacksonville but he should be available next weekend. Naturally, Belichick will keep everyone guessing about Bruschi's status all week.

Numbers cruncher: Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel had a tough season for the Patriots. According to Stats Inc, Samuel has been beaten for 49 completions for 830 yards, the sixth-highest yardage total in the league this year.

The Patriots will win if: They keep Plummer in the pocket and minimize the impact of the Broncos' consistent running game. Belichick's strength is taking away one part of a team's offense. In the last meeting, he couldn't stop any aspect of the Broncos game and fell behind 28-3. The Patriots were at their worst when they met in October. This has to be a different game.

The Broncos will win if: They copy the formula that beat the Patriots earlier this year. They need to break long runs and throw some long passes to Ashley Lelie and Rod Smith. The key is jumping out to a big lead and forcing Tom Brady to throw the ball all day.
-- John Clayton

jjchieffan
01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
One thing comes to mind. 13-3. Go Pats

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Depends on how you want to count it up.

If we have Bruschi reasonably healthy out there, then I'll go with a 7 or 8 as well. As far as I know, only Bruschi and Dillon are fairly impaired by injuries.

BUT, if you want to compare it to the team we HOPED we'd have out there come playoff time, then we're like a 5.

Rodney Harrison -- soul of our defense (Bruschi is the heart), an all pro performer.

Guss Scott -- Harrison's backup.

Matt Light -- a very, very solid left tackle whose been replaced by a rookie.

Dan Koppen -- starting center for the last two Super Bowl runs.

Randall Gay -- starting CB, very underrated around the NFL, IMHO.

Tyrone Poole -- adequate CB. Not great, but at least a decent #3 CB.

That's our IR list, ignore Duane Starks, who flat out sucked and is addition by subtraction.

But none of that IR stuff matters now. The Pats have had time to adjust to those losses, so you can't use them for an excuse.

If Bruschi is out, though, then IMHO the Pats chances of winning go from (IMHO) at least 50/50 to more like 20/80 or 10/90. THAT is how important I think Bruschi is against a complex and talented offensive attack like Denver's.

BigMeatballDave
01-09-2006, 11:02 AM
what a surprise. Chiefs fans think the Broncos will lose.Well, what do you expect? What is you post-Elway play-off record?

phxchief
01-09-2006, 11:13 AM

Agreed, except i'll take them by more than a TD in a game not as close as the final score.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Denver win easy...Probably a blow out. They are one of the greatest teams in recent memory...Brady and Pats are just fortunate to have the pleasure to play on the same field with those guys.

Den 31 Pats 17

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Denver win easy...Probably a blow out. They are one of the greatest teams in recent memory...Brady and Pats are just fortunate to have the pleasure to play on the same field with those guys.

Den 31 Pats 17

My sarcasm meter needs a new battery, but I'm pretty certain that would have registered high.

I'm just not sure on how healthy and ready Bruschi is at this point. I really hope that Amnorix doesn't pull out the IR chart when Denver ruins his plans late on Saturday night.

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
My sarcasm meter needs a new battery, but I'm pretty certain that would have registered high.

I'm just not sure on how healthy and ready Bruschi is at this point. I really hope that Amnorix doesn't pull out the IR chart when Denver ruins his plans late on Saturday night.

Amnorix is honorable; he will be here to feed you your crow. :)

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Amnorix is honorable; he will be here to feed you your crow. :)

Ha! I like it medium well... but, I doubt I'll be having crow that night. Denver will win.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Uh-oh... ESPN is teasing me...

"Up next, a look at the wildcard weekend and why history says the defending champs should win in Denver."

Inquiring minds wanna know.... this should be stunning. I'm sure it's that BB comment about never losing twice to the same team or something.

Whatevah...

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Enh, what a waste of a tease.

The deal was that the Patriots are 15-1 the second time they play a QB in a given season... or something like that. Phhhhhhtttttt....

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Ha! I like it medium well... but, I doubt I'll be having crow that night. Denver will win.

Keep diggin'. Heh. :)

kcfanXIII
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
brady, 10-0 in playoffs. they may lose, but i feel you have to go with them untill someone proves they can be beaten in the post season.

pats 31
donkeys 17

tk13
01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I just think Denver is a victim of the Colts being so good. I think that was our best win this season, when we beat Denver. They're a really good team. They've won 13 of 15 and both losses were close road losses that came right down to the end. It's not like the '03 Chiefs that got bashed on the road at the end of the year.

Plus, I hate to say it, but I get the feeling Plummer's gonna show up and have a good game Saturday. I don't know, I just don't have a good feeling about this game from the Patriots standpoint.

FAX
01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a completely difference sense of what's coming in this game. I anticipate that Plummer will cave as a result of pressure to perform. Brady's been there before.

Pats: 27
Donks: 17

FAX

ChiefFripp
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
This is going to be an awesome game. I expect The Patriots to pull it out with a game ending FG. I don't like either team really(hate is too weak a word to describe my feelings towards the rat coached team), but they both are pretty damn good .

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a completely difference sense of what's coming in this game. I anticipate that Plummer will cave as a result of pressure to perform. Brady's been there before.

Pats: 27
Donks: 17

FAX

How's that completely different... 80% of the free world is saying that... nobody is believing that Jake of 2005 can continue to play like he has for 17 games.

chiefs4me
01-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Patriots all the way.........:D

FAX
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
How's that completely different... 80% of the free world is saying that... nobody is believing that Jake of 2005 can continue to play like he has for 17 games.

I was not implying that my opinion is different from 80% of the free world, Mr. Mile High Mania. I was referring to the previous post. No doubt, I should have quoted that post in mine to obviate confusion.

I do think that, due to experience, Brady will handle the playoff pressure better than Plummer, though. It is highly possible that all the attention on and importance of the game may have a negative effect on your QB's performance. Don't you agree?

FAX

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I was not implying that my opinion is different from 80% of the free world, Mr. Mile High Mania. I was referring to the previous post. No doubt, I should have quoted that post in mine to obviate confusion.

I do think that, due to experience, Brady will handle the playoff pressure better than Plummer, though. It is highly possible that all the attention on and importance of the game may have a negative effect on your QB's performance. Don't you agree?

FAX

Plummer has won a playoff game, against the Cowboys as a Cardinal, so he's seen playoff adversity. Getting whipped the last 2 years in Indy was humbling as well. Jake is not as battle tested, but he's far from being new to the game... it's in Denver and he has a nice supporting cast with a sound defense. I'm confident they will succeed.

Now, if this were in NE... I'm not as confident.

FAX
01-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Plummer has won a playoff game, against the Cowboys as a Cardinal, so he's seen playoff adversity. Getting whipped the last 2 years in Indy was humbling as well. Jake is not as battle tested, but he's far from being new to the game... it's in Denver and he has a nice supporting cast with a sound defense. I'm confident they will succeed.

Now, if this were in NE... I'm not as confident.

I bow to your belief in your team, Mr. Mile High Mania. Were the Chiefs in your place, I would likely feel the same.

Mile High is definately an advantage for you and should be taken into consideration. You appear to be a true fan and I have nothing but respect for that. I just have a feeling that the Pats aren't ready to let Jake take their crown and that the Plummer of old may well reappear in this game.

FAX

bogie
01-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I bow to your belief in your team, Mr. Mile High Mania. Were the Chiefs in your place, I would likely feel the same.

Mile High is definately an advantage for you and should be taken into consideration. You appear to be a true fan and I have nothing but respect for that. I just have a feeling that the Pats aren't ready to let Jake take their crown and that the Plummer of old may well reappear in this game.

FAX

I couldn't agree more.

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Plus, I hate to say it, but I get the feeling Plummer's gonna show up and have a good game Saturday...

ROFL ROFL ROFL

;)

KcMizzou
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm sick of the Patriots winning all the time... but I hope they beat the Broncos 78-3.

Cochise
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Playoff time is when a QB turns into even more of a difference maker.

Whom does one feel is more likely to rise to the occasion :hmmm:

Nzoner
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Playoff time is when a QB turns into even more of a difference maker.

Whom does one feel is more likely to rise to the occasion :hmmm:

Did you see last Saturday when with a 28-3 lead over the Jags one of Brady's guys made a wrong cut or something and he got frustrated.I can't say enough about the guy,he brings every teamate around him to a different level,I enjoy watching the guy,he reminds me of watching Montana a true field general in all aspects.

Not to mention his completion percentage was 63% this year(better than the last two years)and his passing yards was the best in his career at 4110 almost 500 better than the past two seasons.

Like Montana he's due to suffer some losses,I just hope it isn't this weekend.

Nzoner
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
New England Patriots -- Around the NFL
January 9, 2006

HOT TOPIC

Once a team makes it to the NFL's second season, to some degree all bets are off. It no longer matters that the Patriots had few quality wins during the regular season or that the team played utterly inconsistent for the bulk of the year.

Now, more than anything else, fresh off a 28-3 win over the Jaguars on wild card weekend, the Patriots are simply a two-time defending champion, veteran-laced team with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick that's riding an NFL record 10-game postseason winning streak. Maybe more importantly, after a season of defensive struggle, allowing big plays and searching for some degree of continuity in the secondary on a weekly basis, New England is rounding into the type of solid defensive football team that's helped win three Super Bowls in the last four seasons.

The defending champs know that defensive improvement over the last month-plus, one that has seen the secondary jell while the front seven has shut down opposing rushing attacks and pressured the passer, is key heading in Sunday afternoon's divisional playoff meeting with the Broncos in the Mile High city. Denver knocked off the Patriots 28-20 in Week 6 in a game that wasn't nearly as close as the final score might indicate. The Broncos jumped out to a 28-3 lead early in the third quarter and seemed to take their proverbial foot of the gas to let New England tighten the score over the final quarter and a half.

But the numbers from that game don't lie. Tatum Bell rushed for 114 yards on just 13 carries, while both he and Mike Anderson found the end zone. Rod Smith, a Patriots killer from way back, caught six passes for 123 yards and one score, including a big 72-yard play. And Jake Plummer threw for 262 yards and two scores with no interceptions on 17-of-24 completions for a 134.4 passer rating. That, my friends, is a good old-fashioned balanced offensive butt whooping.

But as far as the Patriots are concerned that game included a very different, much lesser New England team than the one that will take the field Saturday night at Invesco Field. While no Belichick team will ever use injuries as an excuse, or much else for that matter, this is new, much more confident and productive Patriots team that Jake Plummer and Co. will have to face.

"We don't make excuses for our losses," Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest said before actually learning which team New England would face. New England could also have potentially played the Colts in the divisional round, another team that beat up on the Patriots during the middle of the regular season. "We play fair and square. They outplayed us. We are not going to say we were banged up or we didn't have anybody. We went out there and we faced them like men. They beat us. We don't have any excuses. But none of that really matters right now. All that matters is whomever we face has to prepare for us and we have got to prepare for them. The best team is going to win."

For that to be the Patriots, they will have to show they are a much different team than the Broncos faced in the middle of the season. Based on the way the team has performed over the last month-plus, dominating on defense and making the key plays on offense, the Patriots can at least make a strong argument that's exactly the case. But going into Denver and proving it against the No. 2 seed in the AFC is still quite the challenge, even for the growing and undefeated legend that is Brady, Belichick and the Patriots dynasty.

greg63
01-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Pats 45 Donks 0

The Rat gets fired!!

Works for me.

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Enh, what a waste of a tease.

The deal was that the Patriots are 15-1 the second time they play a QB in a given season... or something like that. Phhhhhhtttttt....

Right. That plus Belichick's best ever 11-1 record in the plyaoffs, Brady's 10-0 in the playoffs, and 3 SBs in the last 4 years are all completely meaningless. Don't worry about it. It's completely insignificant. The Patriots aren't battle-hardened, playoff experienced two-time defending champions. They're really just like Cincy, with a slightly better defense, that's all...

Mile High Mania
01-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Right. That plus Belichick's best ever 11-1 record in the plyaoffs, Brady's 10-0 in the playoffs, and 3 SBs in the last 4 years are all completely meaningless. Don't worry about it. It's completely insignificant. The Patriots aren't battle-hardened, playoff experienced two-time defending champions. They're really just like Cincy, with a slightly better defense, that's all...

Settle down, Francis. My "Phhhhhhtttttt" was in regard to the tease. I already knew the stats and records of BB and Brady. When they teased the segment, I was expecting something different... so I wasted 20 minutes of my life waiting for the segment.

You've read my comments from yesterday... I'm not discounting their greatness. And, I'm not saying they're not improved from week 6.

Brady and the boys can shut their yappers though about "we're not getting any respect", b/c the media is giving them extensive oral all week.

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Settle down, Francis. My "Phhhhhhtttttt" was in regard to the tease. I already knew the stats and records of BB and Brady. When they teased the segment, I was expecting something different... so I wasted 20 minutes of my life waiting for the segment.

You've read my comments from yesterday... I'm not discounting their greatness. And, I'm not saying they're not improved from week 6.

Brady and the boys can shut their yappers though about "we're not getting any respect", b/c the media is giving them extensive oral all week.

I was kidding. My failure to include a smilie, however, probably didn't help my efforts any.

And all players and their "disrespect" thing is really, really old. Including the Patriots, who have used it as much or more than anybody else.

Mile High Mania
01-10-2006, 08:03 AM
The Denver secondary will have their work cut out for them as it appears Williams is only about 60% and won't start... could be a smoke screen though. Shanahan is as much of a pain in the ass on injury reports as BB.

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
The Denver secondary will have their work cut out for them as it appears Williams is only about 60% and won't start... could be a smoke screen though. Shanahan is as much of a pain in the ass on injury reports as BB.

Well, uhh, I wish Williams as much luck getting back onto the field as you wish for Bruschi. :)

Seriously, however, Williams, though a rookie, was a noticeable pain in our butt last game, so his loss would certainly appear to be a meaningful one for the Broncos. That guy was a good pickup, even though he's a dwarf.

Then again, the Pats WRs are just a big group of dwarves, so his height isn't a disadvantage to him in this game.

Garcia Bronco
01-10-2006, 08:27 AM
The Pats are an Elite Fighting Unit...we don't stand a chance.

Pats 46
Broncos 6

Elam misses the extra point.

Mile High Mania
01-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Well, uhh, I wish Williams as much luck getting back onto the field as you wish for Bruschi. :)

Seriously, however, Williams, though a rookie, was a noticeable pain in our butt last game, so his loss would certainly appear to be a meaningful one for the Broncos. That guy was a good pickup, even though he's a dwarf.

Then again, the Pats WRs are just a big group of dwarves, so his height isn't a disadvantage to him in this game.

I hope Bruschi plays... I get tired head with all the "we're missing 25 of our HOF starters" talk. :p

Cochise
01-10-2006, 08:41 AM
The Pats are an Elite Fighting Unit...we don't stand a chance.

Pats 46
Broncos 6

Elam misses the extra point.

BS - How can you have missed all the cold hard logic in this thread! I am sold now.

Donks 72
Pats 1

Garcia Bronco
01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
BS - How can you have missed all the cold hard logic in this thread! I am sold now.

Donks 72
Pats 1

No way...we're the disease and they are the cure...

vailpass
01-10-2006, 09:06 AM
If Denver is a legitimate SB team they will have to defeat two strong SB contenders. NE is first up.
It is a home game. If the Broncos can't beat this Patriot team they don't belong in the SB.

All questions will be answered starting Saturday. Is the revamped Denver D really that good? Is the Brownco experiment a success or failure? Has Jake matured or was this season an aberration?

My memory goes back a lot farther than four years so I do not live in fear of the Patriots. I've seen the National Gaurd called out for them.

Denver 31
New England 17

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
bump

ChiefFripp
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I predict The Jackasses will be cheating their asses of as usual but it will be countered by the Pat loving officials.

Mr. Kotter
01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
You know, even if the Donks pull this one out, the beauty is Peyton will get to spank them for the third year in a row. :)

Pre-gameday bump.

Nzoner
01-14-2006, 10:38 AM
tick tick tick

stumppy
01-14-2006, 10:53 AM
You know, even if the Donks pull this one out, the beauty is Peyton will get to spank them for the third year in a row. :)

Pre-gameday bump.

I can't decide which scenario I would rather see play out.

Either way, when the doncos do choke, you won't be able to slap the smile off of my face.:)

Nzoner
01-14-2006, 11:09 AM
I can't decide which scenario I would rather see play out.

Either way, when the doncos do choke, you won't be able to slap the smile off of my face.:)

The scenario is easy for me,13-3,8-0 at home,and one and done.

stumppy
01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
The scenario is easy for me,13-3,8-0 at home,and one and done.

Smiling already.:)

Calcountry
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Let me put it this way, if Brady and the Pats can avoid turnovers, then this game should be highly competitive to say the least.He was also throwing high all day. That was caused by an up the middle push by our Dline, probably the only time they did it consistently in a game all year. Did the Pats have a couple of starting guards out that game?

The Broncos are well coached, watch film as good as any, and have watched that Chiefs film and have a pass rush, and tough at home, if the Patriots win this game, then it is a 3 peat imo, and they need to rename the trophy the "Bill Belichick trophy".

luv
01-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I think it will be a close and well fought match-up. I am hoping the Pats come out on top, but I don't think it will be by more than 7 if they do.

Johnson&Johnson
01-14-2006, 12:14 PM

How the hell do you rate defense?
Denver's 30th rank pass defense is SOLID??? and against Tom Brady 10-0 in the playoffs?