PDA

View Full Version : Herm possibly will retain Solari

Johnson&Johnson
01-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Sunday Evening. 1/8/2006
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

NEW COMMANDER IN CHIEF

The Chiefs are ready to hand their head-coaching job over to Herman Edwards. The Chiefs are expected to finalize a four-year deal with their new commander in Chief, Herman Edwards, on Monday. But as of Sunday night, a team official insisted that no deal is signed and the team had not scheduled any press conferences for Monday.

Edwards' agent has said that the two sides have an agreement, and that has been considered a mere formality since the Chiefs and Jets agreed to their trade of a fourth-round pick for Edwards early Friday morning. Now it is only semantics.

But just as Edwards' deal soon will be in place, so will some of his assistants in Kansas City. Edwards is expected to retain the highly respected Chiefs offensive line coach Mike Solari, who was his teammate at San Diego State University and defensive line coach Carl Hairston, who was Edwards' teammate with the Philadelphia Eagles.

tk13
01-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I hadn't realized Solari and Edwards were teammates. That certainly makes me feel better about Solari sticking around in some capacity.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Keeping the friends close, and at least one good coach. :shrug: :D

banyon
Good news about Solari, bad news about Hairston. :doh!:

Halfcan
Please don't tell me Herm and Ganzs Jr. were old buddies-that is one coach we should axe.

RedThat
01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Please don't tell me Herm and Ganzs Jr. were old buddies-that is one coach we should axe.

Why? Gansz Jr did a decent job with us imo

Mecca
01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Why? Gansz Jr did a decent job with us imo

You obviously haven't seen our coverage units the last few years......He got by in 2003 because of Halls talent that's it. Our coverage and blocking units have been awful the last 2 years.

RedThat
01-08-2006, 11:26 PM
You obviously haven't seen our coverage units the last few years......He got by in 2003 because of Halls talent that's it. Our coverage and blocking units have been awful the last 2 years.

They have been decent, not awful. There ok. Teams usually got to the 30 on us after kickoffs, which is not bad, not great either.

Dunit35
01-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Dude are coverage units have been horrible.

Johnson&Johnson
01-08-2006, 11:32 PM

Who were our two gunners? Chris Horn and ?

We need some true speed with toughness. Horn is not one of them.

beavis
You can't expect Scanlon to do it all.

Mecca
Who were our two gunners? Chris Horn and ?

We need some true speed with toughness. Horn is not one of them.

They used Jerome Woods there for awhile, that alone should tell you our special teams coach is incompetent.

ZootedGranny
01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Solari is a must keep, Hairston & Gansz should be shot into the sun.

Johnson&Johnson
01-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Dude are coverage units have been horrible.

That's partly due to Morten ins previous seasons and Tynes inability to put the ball into endzone or near >5yd line consistently. Plus Tynes does not have great hang time as well in his kickoffs.

Unless we have FLASH on our kickoff coverage team, most opposing retuner will return kicks 10-15 yds. With Tynes ball landing around the 15 so consistently, our opponents have been starting around the 35 and 40 yd line.

SLAG
01-08-2006, 11:38 PM
They used Jerome Woods there for awhile, that alone should tell you our special teams coach is incompetent.

We lost some good special teamers... Beisel, Easy, and Blaylock.

But I think special teams gets over looked alot :(

RedThat
01-08-2006, 11:41 PM
That's partly due to Morten ins previous seasons and Tynes inability to put the ball into endzone or near >5yd line consistently. Plus Tynes does not have great hang time as well in his kickoffs.

Yep.

Johnson&Johnson
01-08-2006, 11:42 PM

I do wonder how much improvement our defense and SP would have been if Julian Battle was healthy?

Next year, next year, it might be Battle and Surtain at corner with Warfield playing the nickel or special teams?

RedThat
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM

But we gained a special teams player in Boomer

Mecca
01-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I do wonder how much improvement our defense and SP would have been if Julian Battle was healthy?

Next year, next year, it might be Battle and Surtain at corner with Warfield playing the nickel or special teams?

If they move Warfield off of starting corner then it better be to free safety.

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2006, 12:21 AM
What is up with everyone wanting to replace Warfield? He isn't that bad.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 12:39 AM

Nothing. Warfield was one of our top 2 corners in 2005. BUt with what the coaches saw of Julian Battle in camp before he got injured, Warfield looks to be #3.

He is definitely better than McCleon and Washington and Bartee.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 07:15 AM

Im not a fan of Warfield. I dont think he is that good, just a mere average. I label him just like I would label Hicks, mediocre. Not good, but, not terrible either. He's ok. He always gets burned for plays, cant even tackle, bad tackler. We've been trying to develop him for years, and all we got was an average corner. To make matters worse, he has issues(DUI), the guy is a drunk off the field. Plus, he is getting well overpaid.

He is not worth it man. Unless the Chiefs, and the fans want to settle for mediocrity than stick w/ Warfield. But I will say, these guys like Hicks, Warfield, Wesley are all mediocre, and they aint exactly gonna make our defense improve and get us anywhere. Therefore, I would consider him replacable, and we could use an upgrade at that position.

Alton deFlat
01-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Damn, I hope Jimmy Raye wasn't the water boy at San Diego State when Herm played there.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:25 AM
AHA!

So there's the connection.

Solari and Edwards both played at San Diego State.

The coach at SDSU while they were there?

Claude Gilbert (73-80) who was offensive coordinator at SDSU under none other than...

Don Coryell.

Seek
01-09-2006, 07:25 AM
They have been decent, not awful. There ok. Teams usually got to the 30 on us after kickoffs, which is not bad, not great either.

Our Special teams unit is horrible. On kick offs you never see us stop a kick returner short of the 30, while we struggle to reach the 30.

Kerberos
01-09-2006, 07:31 AM
AHA!

Claude Gilbert (73-80) who was offensive coordinator at SDSU under none other than...

Don Coryell.

WOW

HTF do you know all of this ... I'm impressed. :thumb:

RedThat
01-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Our Special teams unit is horrible. On kick offs you never see us stop a kick returner short of the 30, while we struggle to reach the 30.

A lot of that has to do with hang time. Our kicker isn't kicking the ball deep enough, nor allowing the ball to stay in the air long enough.

If anything, those things need to improve.

jspchief
01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
What is up with everyone wanting to replace Warfield? He isn't that bad.Too many idiots think it's practical to expect pro-bowlers at every position. Every team in the league has a drop-off at their #2 CB, but some people can't accept that. They think the real world is like the Madden game.

jspchief
01-09-2006, 07:45 AM
A lot of that has to do with hang time. Our kicker isn't kicking the ball deep enough, nor allowing the ball to stay in the air long enough.

If anything, those things need to improve.We allow teams to satert beyond the 30 yard line on every kick-off. That's not just the kicks.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:51 AM
WOW

HTF do you know all of this ... I'm impressed. :thumb:

I know the San Diego State/San Diego Chargers connection with Don Coryell. The rest of it is Google.

As soon as I saw that they were teammates at SDSU, I knew where to look.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
We allow teams to satert beyond the 30 yard line on every kick-off. That's not just the kicks.

I think we need better players on special teams thats all. The only good quality special teamers we have are Stills and Boomer imo. I just wanted to refer back earlier to how Halfcan was mentioning Gansz Jr needed to be replaced. Cant place all the blame and emphasis on him...Its the players too.

jiveturkey
01-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Didn't someone post a Schefter quote from last night saying that Paul Hackett would be our next OC?

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Didn't someone post a Schefter quote from last night saying that Paul Hackett would be our next OC?

Yes. It was me. I did. Sorry It was a misinterpretation on my part.

Seek
01-09-2006, 09:55 AM

If anything, those things need to improve.

I agree, and that is one of my main arguments, but I also saw many teams who kicked off just like Tynes hold us to under 30.

I also saw a rookie Punter kick the ball higher than any other punter in Arrowhead not get near enough fair catches. Everyone one of his punts shoule have been fair caught.

FringeNC
01-09-2006, 10:02 AM
AHA!

Don Coryell.

Interesting. So the "Air Coryell" system was actually developed in college, and taken to the pros? I know it is a derivative of Sid Gillman, but Coryell added a lot.