PDA

View Full Version : A lot of good, WR & DE DT in the draft

chief118
01-08-2006, 11:55 PM
:drool:

Mecca
01-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I think this is kind of a weak WR year, atleast compared to the last several drafts.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 11:59 PM
KC should target Gabe Watson in the second round, but the WRs aren't that impreesive.

chief118
01-09-2006, 12:03 AM
you are right about the WR but the rest look perty good

ZootedGranny
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
WR is incredibly weak, but DE & DT is strong in first & second round talent. Ngata is going to go high, but I think someone like Mahelona may be there.

And despite the Chiefs having 40 safeties on the roster already, I'd like to see them target one of the top guys. I think its one of the deepest classes in a while. Huff, Bing, Blue, Salley, Simpson, Landry, even guys that'll go later like Slay will be worth a pick.

Munson
01-09-2006, 12:24 AM
KC should target Gabe Watson in the second round, but the WRs aren't that impreesive.

The last thing KC needs is another underachieving defensive tackle.

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2006, 12:26 AM
The last thing KC needs is another underachieving defensive tackle.

The guy is rock in the run game occupies blockers which will free up DJ, Kawika, and Fox

SoCalBronco
01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Actually this is a below average WR draft.

Frosty
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm officially announcing my draft pimpdom for this WR (http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24799&SPID=1952&DB_OEM_ID=4700&ATCLID=220127) .

:)

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
The guy is rock in the run game occupies blockers which will free up DJ, Kawika, and Fox

He's a 1 play on, 2 plays off kinda guy. I watched him alot since he played at Michigan...

That being said, he's definitely worth a 2nd rounder, because he's HUGE and has 1st-round potential.

Hoover
01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
So he will be able to free up Fox from the IR list?

tomahawk kid
01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Anyone else like Kyle Williams out of LSU?

Had some monster games at DT for the Tigers this year.

Chiefnj
01-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Watson is a huge underachiever. In the two Michigan games that I watched this year, he flat out sucked.

nascher
01-09-2006, 08:05 AM
beside Mario Williams there are very few sure picks at DE or DT i wouldn't consider this draft strong at DE/DT.

bkkcoh
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
So he will be able to free up Fox from the IR list?

He must be really good if he can do that...
:p

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
KC should have their eyes set on Haloti Ngata from Oregon.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM

He'll go way before we pick.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
He'll go way before we pick.

Well, how about Roderick Wright from Texas? What do you think of him?

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm officially announcing my draft pimpdom for this WR (http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24799&SPID=1952&DB_OEM_ID=4700&ATCLID=220127) .

:)

Haas will probably fall to the 3rd or 4th round if his 40 speed is in the 4.7 range like many speculate. I wouldn't let that bother me too much as he is pretty polished and knows who to get open. If he is around in the 3rd I would give him a serious look. 4th round doesn't matter as we got Herm Average with that pick.

Overall the WR draft board is pretty thin this year after being pretty stocked the last couple. Hagan from ASU is about the only sure fire 1st rounder....could very well be there when we pick at the 20th spot. Wouldn't be a be choice from what I can tell about the kid. Jeff Smardizilla is probably the other WR worthy of a 1st round pick but looks pretty certain he is staying in school. Santonio Holmes from OSU is coming out early and will be a 1st/2nd round type depending on his 40 times. Chad Jackson from Florida is coming out early and probably made a mistake. The thin WR class probably influenced his decision. Could be a late 1st rounder is a WR desparate team has already seen Hagan and Holmes go earlier...Jackson didn't do much against the good SEC teams and based on that would be a guy I would want before the 3rd round at the earliest.

ct
01-09-2006, 08:24 AM

So will Richard Seymour, which we know. Another high pick for a DT? No thanks.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Because of the heritage and the school would make most of us sour on this kid....But unlike Siavii, Ngata actually made plays when he was on the field at Oregon.

I would imagine that Herm Average, if he has control of the draft which is unlikely, but if he is will go defense. In his 5 drafts with the Jets, if you look at all the semi-important picks of 5th round and higher out of the 25 picks he had 16 went on defense. That is after most of the top picks in the 3 years leading up to him taking over also being spent on defense(Shuan Ellis, John Abraham, Dorian Boose, James Farrior, Rick Terry)

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
beside Mario Williams there are very few sure picks at DE or DT i wouldn't consider this draft strong at DE/DT.

I didn't see enough games of the alledged top DT's so there isn't any that I would be fired up to get....at DE Tamba Hali and Mathias Kiwi are two that I would be very happy to get at the 20th pick.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Like just about every DT coming out in the last 10 years, he's got big upside and concerns about his work ethic.

I just can't imagine spending another high pick on a DT. We have so many other areas of need that we've neglected while trying to hit on a DT pick.

penchief
01-09-2006, 08:38 AM
At the risk of sounding like a Penn State homer, I would love to see DE Tamba Hali fall to us at 20. That guy has a non-stop motor and creates havoc on nearly every passing play. He lives in the offense's backfield.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Like just about every DT coming out in the last 10 years, he's got big upside and concerns about his work ethic.

I just can't imagine spending another high pick on a DT. We have so many other areas of need that we've neglected while trying to hit on a DT pick.

True....But, DT is the most pressing need on this team imo

Well, the whole D-line is...lol

nascher
01-09-2006, 09:13 AM
DE is more pressing at DT you can plug the hole with "cheap" fa like Dalton but you won't get a cheap DE who can russ the passer (like Allen).

RedThat
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
DE is more pressing at DT you can plug the hole with "cheap" fa like Dalton but you won't get a cheap DE who can russ the passer (like Allen).

I disagree. I think DT is more important. Our DT's are horrible. We can't get a good push up the middle. We lack that pressure from the interior part of our line. We can't apply pressure up the middle and collapse the pocket.

I do think we could use an upgrade at DE though. I just wouldn't place DE as more of a priority over DT. DT should come first imo

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I disagree. I think DT is more important. Our DT's are horrible. We can't get a good push up the middle. We lack that pressure from the interior part of our line. We can't apply pressure up the middle and collapse the pocket.

I do think we could use an upgrade at DE though. I just wouldn't place DE as more of a priority over DT. DT should come first imo

I agree that the biggest hole was DT but it all comes down to if what we saw is pretty much what we are going to get out of Sims and Siavii's big fat arse's. If so then DT needs addressed. However I wouldn't address it in the draft. I would make that a focus with any free agent money that is spent and get somebody proven. I think everyone associated with the team is tender and too snake bitten to spend another high draft pick on a DT after Sims, Freeman, Downing and Siavii.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree that the biggest hole was DT but it all comes down to if what we saw is pretty much what we are going to get out of Sims and Siavii's big fat arse's. If so then DT needs addressed. However I wouldn't address it in the draft. I would make that a focus with any free agent money that is spent and get somebody proven. I think everyone associated with the team is tender and too snake bitten to spend another high draft pick on a DT after Sims, Freeman, Downing and Siavii.

Probably true...

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Probably true...

If Grady Jackson doesn't die of a heart attack between now and then I would try and sign him to plug the run and take Daltons spot. He looks to be in such poor shape however I can't believe he could be an every down player.

We could also get our 1st round pick back for Trent Green...Damione Lewis is a UFA... :D

Mr. Laz
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
yuck ... big, lazy chet-the-molester type

vastly over-rated from what i've seen

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 10:15 AM
If Grady Jackson doesn't die of a heart attack between now and then I would try and sign him to plug the run and take Daltons spot. He looks to be in such poor shape however I can't believe he could be an every down player.

We could also get our 1st round pick back for Trent Green...Damione Lewis is a UFA... :D

There's very little chance of us actually fixing the problem at DT via free agency. FA DT's very rarely work out.

But it's the only avenue that's viable right now, IMO. We need DE, WR, OT, and FS help in the draft.

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
So will Richard Seymour, which we know. Another high pick for a DT? No thanks.

Their's the option of trading down, and obtain DT Jesse Mahelona out of Tennesse

HolmeZz
01-09-2006, 11:09 AM
This draft is deep at DT. DE isn't great after Kiwi, Super Mario, and even Hali. WR's not deep at all. I like Santonio and Chad Jackson, but there's not much after that.

Munson
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
One defensive tackle that I would like the Chiefs to draft is Brodrick Bunkley out of Florida State. I watched him a few times this year, and he was getting some serious push up the middle. He had 57 tackles(23 of those were for a loss), and 9 sacks. I think he'll be a high to mid second round pick, but might be able to sneak into the first. Here is a profile on him...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/brodrick_bunkley.html

Frosty
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Haas will probably fall to the 3rd or 4th round if his 40 speed is in the 4.7 range like many speculate. I wouldn't let that bother me too much as he is pretty polished and knows who to get open. If he is around in the 3rd I would give him a serious look. 4th round doesn't matter as we got Herm Average with that pick.

It's Hass, BTW.

I don't buy the 4.7 thing. He doesn't have elite speed, but he's been timed in the 4.5 range. Chad Johnson was 4.5 and TJ Houshmandzedah was around 4.7, IIRC.

Hass just gets open and catches anything thrown his way. He was also our deep threat and was frequently past the DBs, so he isn't slow. I think the slow talk comes because he's white. If he wasn't white, he would be projected to be in the first or second rounds. Just my opinion.

The Chad Johnson comparison is very valid, though Hass has a lot more yards than Chad did. Both rely on crisp routes and have great hands and body control. Neither has great speed. The Chargers are said to be very interested, which would suck for me.

That said, I would be very happy with Hagan. He really reminds me of Rod Smith.

Frosty
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
By the way, I would be very leery of Ngata. Oregon is our bitter rival and I don't ever remember even hearing this guy's name before this year.

Another thing is that the Oregon coach, Mike Bellotti, is a master at getting the most out of his players and designing schemes for maximum potential. I think this makes their players look better than they are. The recent string of busts coming out of that school (Siavii, Harrington, Akili Smith, AJ Feely) points to this. Reuben Droughns and Onterrio Smith are doing okay but it's taken time.

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I would be very happy with Hagan. He really reminds me of Rod Smith.

KC needs a deep threat the WR position, and the purpose is that the Chiefs already have a roster full of control wide-outs.

ct
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
He's a 1 play on, 2 plays off kinda guy. I watched him alot since he played at Michigan...

That being said, he's definitely worth a 2nd rounder, because he's HUGE and has 1st-round potential.

Where have I heard that before? Hmmm...

HolmeZz
01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I've really been impressed with Bunkley. He was really explosive in the Penn State game. He's a bit undersized for my liking though. I'd take him in the 2nd though.

And ROFL @ a Chad Johnson/Mike Hass comparison. No offense, but that's as homerish as it gets. They went to the same school and both have good hands. That's where the similarities end.

Hass is a 3rd rounder at best. He's not physical and he'd get manhandled lining up on the outside in the NFL. He's a slot guy at the next level. He has a knack for getting open, I'll give him credit for that. But when he makes the transition to the NFL, his YPC will be bad because he has no speed. I've seen him play quite a bit and he's way too slow for a WR. His speed will also keep him from ever being a deep threat. I hate making comparisons of white WRs to other white WRs, but at best, he's a Brandon Stokley.

The 'he won't get drafted high because he's white' thing doesn't fly because Jeff Samardzija has been projected as a 1st rounder in this draft and in '07.

Frosty
01-11-2006, 12:43 PM
And ROFL @ a Chad Johnson/Mike Hass comparison. No offense, but that's as homerish as it gets. They went to the same school and both have good hands. That's where the similarities end.

You're right - Hass has been considerably more productive than Johnson was in college against similar competition, but there is no way to tell how he'll do in the pros. Johnson was knocked on his speed coming out and went in the second round because of it (as well as his attitude).

If I can only compare Hass to white receivers, how about this - a taller Largent. :) Too homerish for you? :)

Frosty
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm going to post this and then shut up since I'm already homer extreme:

From OregonLive draft blog:

- T.J. Ragan, the Beavers strength and conditioning coach, said people don't realize how STRONG Hass is. Ragan said Hass is actualy closer to 212 than his listed 208. His weight-room numbers aren't as good as WR Anthony Wheat-Brown, who is off the charts, but still solid. "He's never missed a workout,'' said Ragan. "We haven't really tried to bulk him up, but he's still very strong. That's why he can take balls away from DBs.''

- Dave-Te Thomas is an NFL draft numbers freak who has been working with NFL GMs for 39 years. His premium service, NFLdraftscout.com, is worth a look just for its incredible rundown of Hass' OSU career - a catch-by-catch breakdown. Anyway, Thomas thinks Hass will be an NFL star someday. "He's got hands of velcro, and he can move the chains,'' said the colorful 51-year-old draftnik. ... "even Ray Charles can see that Mike Hass is the best receiver in the country. ... ''

- Thomas told me that he likes WSU's Jason Hill almost as much as Hass, if Hill comes out. But Dave-Te thinks Hass is BETTER than ASU's Derek Hagan and New Mexico's Hank Baskett.

Oregon's Demetrius Williams?

Please. ... not in the same league.

"I like (Williams),'' said Dave-Te, "but I'd like to take that kid to a couple buffets first. I think he would struggle getting off the line of scrimmage (in the NFL) because of his slight frame.''

Great line by Dave-Te about his stats service: "We keep track of everything but what hand he wipes his butt with, and they'll know that after the combine.''

- Dave-Te thinks Hass will be a solid 4.5 guy at the combine. Mike is sneaky-fast, according to all the "experts.'' Dave-Te said he's weary of scouts oohing and aahing over guys, "who can stand around in their underwear and run 4.3. Somebody like Mike - and 'physicality' is the name of his game - can run 4.5 without his pads and 4.54 with them. Unless it's rugby, I wanna see a guy out there who carries his equipment on the field.''

- NFLdraftscout.com charts line-of-scrimmage blocks and downfield "crack'' blocks.

Dave-Te said Hass has 56 downfield blocks.

He claims the No. 2 guy in that category - Jason Avant of Michigan - only has 29.

Not sure if any of that is confirmable, but it's damn interesting.

- Finally, and probably something I should have squeezed into the O. version, the character thing keeps coming up with Hass. In a good way. OSU offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said, with a straight face, "he's the kind of guy you would like your daughter to date.''

Hass' road roomie, Josh Hawkins, told us Tuesday, "it's been a trip to actually get to know him better. ... he's not what I thought he was going to be. I thought he would be a lot more cocky, but Mike's not like that at all.''

Hawkins said Hass taught him, "to be really humble about what you do. ... that's a great characteristic.''

HolmeZz
01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
The draftnik is comparing him to guys like Demetrius Williams, Jason Hill, and Hank Baskett and saying he's the best WR because he's better than them, but all 3 of those guys are about 3rd rounders. I don't like Hagan at all. He has no potential IMO.

That being said, Hass isn't eally rclose to being the best WR in the country. I'll take Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, Jeff Samardzija, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Jarrett over him off the top of my head.

Frosty
01-11-2006, 02:15 PM
That being said, Hass isn't eally rclose to being the best WR in the country. I'll take Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, Jeff Samardzija, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Jarrett over him off the top of my head.

Nobody's saying Hass is the best WR in the country (well if you ignore that winning the Biletnikoff thing ROFL ) but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breathe as the top receivers in the draft. I guess we'll see.

By the way, I stand by my Johnson/Hass comparison. They are close to the same size (Hass is 20 pounds heavier - it ain't fat - and just as tall). Johnson was 4.5 and that's about the projection I see for Hass. Both have excellent hands. Hass is better (in college) at getting open.

I'm not comparing Hass to the pro Johnson is now - just how they were in college in very similar systems.

Chiefnj
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Nobody's saying Hass is the best WR in the country (well if you ignore that winning the Biletnikoff thing ROFL ) but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breathe as the top receivers in the draft. I guess we'll see.

By the way, I stand by my Johnson/Hass comparison. They are close to the same size (Hass is 20 pounds heavier - it ain't fat - and just as tall). Johnson was 4.5 and that's about the projection I see for Hass. Both have excellent hands. Hass is better (in college) at getting open.

I'm not comparing Hass to the pro Johnson is now - just how they were in college in very similar systems.

I'd compare him to Drew Bennett, he's just a little shorter.

I can't believe all the talk of top receivers and people ignore Martin Nance.

nascher
01-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Our run defense was pretty good with cheap ass Dalton why sign Grady Jackson he is even more 1 dimensional than Lional Dalton.

eazyb81
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
One defensive tackle that I would like the Chiefs to draft is Brodrick Bunkley out of Florida State. I watched him a few times this year, and he was getting some serious push up the middle. He had 57 tackles(23 of those were for a loss), and 9 sacks. I think he'll be a high to mid second round pick, but might be able to sneak into the first. Here is a profile on him...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/brodrick_bunkley.html

I like Bunkley a lot as well, and I think his stock will shoot up between now and draft day. I would bet that he is a solid mid-1st rounder come April, so we will not have the luxury to trade down and still pick him up. He is certainly in my top 5 list right now.

EvilDavid
01-16-2006, 10:22 PM
If you are looking at WR's it's two words Santonio Holmes....

Mecca
01-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Broderick Bunkley just what we need, another undersized DT........