PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maas comments on the Chiefs coaching staff...

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I heard Maas say on 610 this morning that Herm will keep the coaching staff largely intact. The only real wildcard is Al Saunders becoming a HC, in that case Solari would likely be promoted.

Yes, Gunther will be retained he said.

He also made it pretty clear that Herm wasn't in control. That these coaches were being forced on Herm.

I'm not sure where he's getting his info, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.

tomahawk kid
01-09-2006, 07:19 AM
I heard Maas say on 610 this morning that Herm will keep the coaching staff largely intact. The only real wildcard is Al Saunders becoming a HC, in that case Solari would likely be promoted.

He also made it pretty clear that Herm wasn't in control. That these coaches were being forced on Herm.

I'm not sure where he's getting his info, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.

Should be interesting to see if this proves out to be true.

IIRC, Maas' record on "inside information" isn't all that great.

If Gunther is retained, I would be shocked if most of the defensive coaches were retained.

jspchief
01-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, obviously good news on the offensive side of the ball.

As for defense, I'm going to look for the silver lining and say at least it gives us some continuity. Hopefully Herm can put his touches on what Gun does to make this defense work. If he can make the appropriate player changes and tweak the scheme, we might not be totally fooked.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Eh whatever? Coaches or no coaches on defense. More importantly, I hope we tear down this defensive line and reconstruct us a new one.

joesomebody
01-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I like Gunther a lot, but don't see him and Herm getting along. Gunther won't take advice from Herm very well, and I'm sure with Herm being so defensively minded, that he'll have plenty of inputs.

I want Gunther to stay, I just hope those two can get along.

morphius
01-09-2006, 07:27 AM
This is a pretty big show of power from Carl, and if Herm doesn't sign this could very well be the reason. I had wondered if Carl was going to try to do this, and if I was Herm I would have an issue with someone telling me that I can't bring in my own D guys. As far as offense is concerened though, someone does probably need to force our coaching staff on the guy, give or take a few coaches. Honestly, if we don't have a pretty big change in D coaches I'm going to be pretty livid.

Chiefnj
01-09-2006, 07:28 AM
With any luck the Raiders will come swooping in and outbid KC for the services of Herm Edwards.

b-squared
01-09-2006, 07:31 AM
I can't really see Gunther staying if Herm has the power to hire his own staff. Their basic defensive philosophies are at odds with one another. Also, Gunther came back to a situation where he was basically the "Head Coach - defense" under a head coach that focused on offense. I don't see him and his personality willingly taking a demotion that subjegates his decisions to the "new" head coach. bdb

Logical
01-09-2006, 07:33 AM
I think I will wait to hear what Herm says. Going to start by giving him the benefit of the doubt, before labeling him a foot shuffling porter like Gunther was/is.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I can't really see Gunther staying if Herm has the power to hire his own staff. Their basic defensive philosophies are at odds with one another. Also, Gunther came back to a situation where he was basically the "Head Coach - defense" under a head coach that focused on offense. I don't see him and his personality willingly taking a demotion that subjegates his decisions to the "new" head coach. bdb

Well, like I said.

Maas made it pretty clear that Herm wouldn't have the power to hire his own staff.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:36 AM
I think I will wait to hear what Herm says. Going to start by giving him the benefit of the doubt, before labeling him a foot shuffling porter like Gunther was/is.

Yeah, Maas doesn't have a spectacular record when it comes to reporting/speculating.

I think he's pretty good at breaking down games and the X's and O's...

Dartgod
01-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Good Lord! Was I the only one who, before clicking on the thread, thought that Maas was going to be on the coaching staff?

:eek: Whew.......

b-squared
01-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I know all about Bill Maas and his inside information ! :shake:

I might buy that Carl might play "big brother" on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm not ready to believe he is not going to give "the last coach I'll hire for the Chiefs" some latitude on the defensive side. That was the whole point to hiring a defense guy. If you are going to keep the same staff and philosophy, you might as well of signed Al and kept everything as is. bdb

Kerberos
01-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Bill Maas on the Chiefs coaching staff...

THANK GOD

I read that title and I just about Sh!t my pants thinking that Bill Maas was going to be our new OC or DC!

1st thinking it was a joke then feeling my breakfast ready to make a comeback thinking it might be true.

DAMN YOU :cuss:

:D

Good Lord! Was I the only one who, before clicking on the thread, thought that Maas was going to be on the coaching staff?

You beat me to it!

DAMN YOU TOO. :cuss:

morphius
01-09-2006, 07:43 AM

You were not.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Yeah, Maas doesn't have a spectacular record when it comes to reporting/speculating.

I think he's pretty good at breaking down games and the X's and O's...

You mentioned this coming from 610? that says he works for them then.....610 isnt all that good when it comes to reporting ala Ty Law signed w/ Chiefs, I remember that one:D -----with Rhonda Moss

I wouldn't be surprised if this is pure speculation.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 07:49 AM
There, I edited the title for those of you who are retarted.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 07:57 AM

There in lies exactly why Peterson wanted Herm Average and why he was willing to give up draft picks for him as opposed to hiring similar quality coaches that wouldn't cost any picks. He wanted someone he knew well, someone who would allow him to maintain final say on everything.

Anyone who thinks Herm Average was a good choice must want Carl Peterson making all decisions....We know how well that has worked out over his tenure.

the Talking Can
01-09-2006, 07:58 AM
we need to shit can the entire defensive staff...they all suck, down to the water boy

I hope Edwards would have more spine than to accept a position where the GM dictates your coaching staff....outside of Solari, of course, lol.

FringeNC
01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
I was afraid of CP attempting to force a Gun down Edward's throat. Until Gun is officially named, I'll hold out some hope that the organization is not completely insane.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:05 AM
I was afraid of CP attempting to force a Gun down Edward's throat. Until Gun is officially named, I'll hold out some hope that the organization is not completely insane.

Yeah, I'm trying to wait until it's official before I get "officially" depressed.

Duck Dog
we need to shit can the entire defensive staff...they all suck, down to the water boy

I hope Edwards would have more spine than to accept a position where the GM dictates your coaching staff....outside of Solari, of course, lol.

I dunno........the water boy seems alright.

morphius
There, I edited the title for those of you who are retarted.

Don't be and idiot :D

Chiefs Pantalones
01-09-2006, 08:08 AM

When you're getting $12 million for 4 years, I'm sure he's saying "Carl, do whatever you want."

It's all about the money. DV even said he wouldn't have came to coach the Chiefs if there wasn't a lot of money involved. At least he was honest.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
There in lies exactly why Peterson wanted Herm Average and why he was willing to give up draft picks for him as opposed to hiring similar quality coaches that wouldn't cost any picks. He wanted someone he knew well, someone who would allow him to maintain final say on everything.

Anyone who thinks Herm Average was a good choice must want Carl Peterson making all decisions....We know how well that has worked out over his tenure.

Well said.

ChiTown
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM

Not what you wanted to hear? Umm, this is the KC Chiefs. WTF did you expect? We've been inept for over 30+ years, so what makes you think there's going to be some monumental change in the S.O.P. (read: manual for mediocre football).

:p

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Not what you wanted to hear? Umm, this is the KC Chiefs. WTF did you expect? We've been inept for over 30+ years, so what makes you think there's going to be some monumental change in the S.O.P. (read: manual for mediocre football).

I'd be fine with S.O.P. if it involved firing Gunther.

RedThat
01-09-2006, 08:11 AM

The only guy that is worth retaining is maybe Pagac. The rest of the bunch can go to sh*ts....I think Herm will retain Carl Hairston because they're buddies. Both played together in Philadelphia.

*Main guys I hope Edwards or Carl should get rid of, Kamelowicz, Giunta, Gunther, Vernon Dean

ct
01-09-2006, 08:12 AM
This is a good thing, IMO.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
This is a good thing, IMO.

Why?

ct
01-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Why?

I still support Gunther, and much prefer to continue our offensive system until the wheels fall off. We do not need to rebuild, not yet.

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Just curious, as I havent really paid much attention to the KC news all weekend, but how many picks did Peterson give up for Edwards?

I thought it was a single 4th round pick.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
I still support Gunther, and much prefer to continue our offensive system until the wheels fall off. We do not need to rebuild, not yet.

Regardless of whether you support Gunther, etc.

You think it's a good thing that a head coach is coming here and getting no say over who is hired or fired? If that's the case, why isn't Peterson the head coach?

ct
01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Considering that Herm is not at all my 1st choice for HC, and that he's made poor coordinator choices in NY, yeah, I'm good with this. But only in this very specific situation. Knowing now what happened with Gunther in his HC fiasco, it would have been better to remove that responsibility from him as well.

I will say this, however, this is a pretty clear indication for me that CP is truly desperate now. I'm more ready for a FO overhaul than I've ever been. And I've been ready for awhile. But since we aren't gonna get that now, the best move given some apparent certainties (CP is here to stay for a while longer, Herm is HC, Al is gone), is to replace Vermeil and Saunders, and keep pushing for 1-2 more years, or as long as Will, Willie, and Trent can hold up.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-09-2006, 08:31 AM
It's a good thing for those that don't like herm to begin with, now we can be told to put the tampon DOWN! I'm actually ready to give herm a chance but not guinta etc. We can keep Gun another year but there had better be major changes to the defense starting with most of the rest of the staff.

morphius
01-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Regardless of whether you support Gunther, etc.

You think it's a good thing that a head coach is coming here and getting no say over who is hired or fired? If that's the case, why isn't Peterson the head coach?
because he can't fit that title on his business card with all of his others?

Radar Chief
01-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Just curious, as I havent really paid much attention to the KC news all weekend, but how many picks did Peterson give up for Edwards?

Thatís what Iíve been hearing on ESPN.

morphius
01-09-2006, 08:33 AM

That is where we stand right now.

Chiefnj
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM

"A single 4th round pick" is not the proper terminology.

It is either "the Chiefs got a steal by only having to give up a 4th round pick for a coach that consitently gets his team in the playoffs", or "the Chiefs blew it giving up a 4th round pick for a coach the Jets were going to have to fire anyway."

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 08:37 AM

It is either "the Chiefs got a steal by only having to give up a 4th round pick for a coach that consitently gets his team in the playoffs", or "the Chiefs blew it giving up a 4th round pick for a coach the Jets were going to have to fire anyway."

Well, it's better than what KC paid for DV.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Thatís what Iíve been hearing on ESPN.

He wasn't seriously looking for the answer, he was busy playing semantics because my post referred to Peterson getting a coach that cost draft "picks".

For those of you who haven't been around over the years you didn't realize that was Titus' job to nit pick anyone who is less than pleased with the job Peterson has done over the years. Nothing to see hear, move along. We did the same thing 5 years ago when Peterson foolishly surrendered a 2nd and 3rd rounder for his last FOP.

Dartgod
01-09-2006, 08:43 AM

It is either "the Chiefs got a steal by only having to give up a 4th round pick* for a coach that consitently gets his team in the playoffs", or "the Chiefs blew it giving up a 4th round pick* for a coach the Jets were going to have to fire anyway."

*Pending a tampering investigation by Paul Tagliabue and the NFL office
Fixed your post...

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
He wasn't seriously looking for the answer, he was busy playing semantics because my post referred to Peterson getting a coach that cost draft "picks".

For those of you who haven't been around over the years you didn't realize that was Titus' job to nit pick anyone who is less than pleased with the job Peterson has done over the years. Nothing to see hear, move along. We did the same thing 5 years ago when Peterson foolishly surrendered a 2nd and 3rd rounder for his last FOP.

If you want semantics, then it's 'nothing to see here, move along.'

You are right, however, I did see that in your post and was trying to figure out if you're up to your usual hyperbole of if what I heard was wrong.

As per typical, you've deemed this the latest 'worst thing Peterson has done' since Carl drafted Blackledge.

Talk about nothing to see hear [sic], move along.

I guess it's just coincidence you're around here to talk this down as well.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 08:49 AM
As per typical, you've deemed this the latest 'worst thing Peterson has done' since Carl drafted Blackledge.

And anyone that has been displeased with anything that Peterson has done since 93 would be wrong how?

Only really nice move that guy has made since then was force DV to take Larry Johnson.

MOhillbilly
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
the thread starter made me wanna kick the dog.

Brock
01-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Most of you should have known this was going to happen.

it's the Peterson way.

ROYC75
01-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Paying alot of money for a HC to not do it his way......

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
And anyone that has been displeased with anything that Peterson has done since 93 would be wrong how?

'Anything Since 93'? That's interesting, why not since 1989?

In all my years, Ive never read you post anything good about a player/draft pick/coach until after that player or coach had show some success. Out of the box, they're all stupid/bad and Carl should have done something different.

Im not suprised we get the same song and verse this time around.

Dave Lane
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM

I'd sure like Germ to cut the deadwood ie the defensive staff -Gun I'd be up for keeping him on but the old losers from the unmentionable DC before Gun need to be shown the door and Gun needs to get his own guys.

Dave

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 09:04 AM

In all my years, Ive never read you post anything good about a player/draft pick/coach until after that player or coach had show some success. Out of the box, they're all stupid/bad and Carl should have done something different.

Well 93 they showed their first and only sign of playoff competency in his tenure. If guys like you can defend this clown after a decade plus of complete ineptitude can you imagine the fangs you would have in defending a guy that GM'd a team to a single AFC Championship game?

The fact anyone is still around to deflect anything from him after 16+ years of helping insure that the only other teams in the NFL that rival our futility is the Lions and Cards is pretty amazing.

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Well 93 they showed their first and only sign of playoff competency in his tenure. If guys like you can defend this clown after a decade plus of complete ineptitude can you imagine the fangs you would have in defending a guy that GM'd a team to a single AFC Championship game?

The fact anyone is still around to deflect anything from him after 16+ years of helping insure that the only other teams in the NFL that rival our futility is the Lions and Cards is pretty amazing.

Im not defending anything. Im trying to figure out why you have already determined that Herm Edwards is a failure.

Talk about deflection.

Just so we're clear on this. I really dont know what to think at this point about Edwards and whether or not this will pan out. Im going to wait and see.

You, on the other hand, have decided it's a failure precisely because, as you pointed out above, on nothing more than the fact that Carl made the decision. Feh...it could have been Dan Snyder or Mike Shanahan making the decision and Im still not going to start calling it a failure at this point.

ROYC75
01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Im not defending anything. Im trying to figure out why you have already determined that Herm Edwards is a failure.

Talk about deflection.

Just so we're clear on this. I really dont know what to think at this point about Edwards and whether or not this will pan out. Im going to wait and see.

You, on the other hand, have decided it's a failure precisely because, as you pointed out above, on nothing more than the fact that Carl made the decision. Feh...it could have been Dan Snyder or Mike Shanahan making the decision and Im still not going to start calling it a failure at this point.

Can I butt in....How about too Marty like, but with a worst record ?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Marty for what he done here, but he didn't get it done, but I thought we moved past him, Looks like I was wrong.

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:15 AM

I thought Adam Sandler had like 20 sacks in one game?

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 09:18 AM

Don't get me wrong, I liked Marty for what he done here, but he didn't get it done, but I thought we moved past him, Looks like I was wrong.

There was a thread on Thursday or Friday on the JoPo article called 'Longing for Marty' or something like that where I stated the thought made me sick. I dont want the 'play not to lose' philosophy any more.

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:21 AM

I think Nap liked the DJ pick Titus sir.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I think Nap liked the DJ pick Titus sir.

I even liked the Ryan Sims/Eddie Freeman picks.... :D

I don't know whether Edwards will succeed or fail but I just don't think the choice was the best...There could have been worse but definitely could have been better.

Edwards in 5 years had two good but not great seasons at 10-6, a ok year at 9-7 and two really bad years at 6-10 and 4-12. That isn't horrible, isn't real good...just about average. Especially considering he took over a team that didn't have a single losing record in the 4 previous seasons before he took over. Not to mention just had an unprecedented four 1st round picks they year before. His one very nice feather in his cap for those five years was the 41-0 thrashing he put on the Colts in the playoffs. Other than that it was extremely average.

So if you are going with a proven average to slightly above average NFL coach why not go for one that doesn't cost compensation? Jim Fassel's track record is better and was interested in the job....But why try and continue another several years of mediocrity? Why not try for the next Lovie Smith type?

If you can buy the same car for less money at dealer A then why buy it from dealer B? That is the way I view Edwards and Fassel. Well the reason is Peterson wanted a FOP so he can pistol whip them when ever he wants. To him that is far more fun and valuable than an extra draft pick.

Dartgod
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I even liked the Ryan Sims/Eddie Freeman picks.... :D

I don't know whether Edwards will succeed or fail but I just don't think the choice was the best...There could have been worse but definitely could have been better.

Edwards in 5 years had two good but not great seasons at 10-6, a ok year at 9-7 and two really bad years at 6-10 and 4-12. That isn't horrible, isn't real good...just about average. Especially considering he took over a team that didn't have a single losing record in the 4 previous seasons before he took over. Not to mention just had an unprecedented four 1st round picks they year before. His one very nice feather in his cap for those five years was the 41-0 thrashing he put on the Colts in the playoffs. Other than that it was extremely average.

So if you are going with a proven average to slightly above average NFL coach why not go for one that doesn't cost compensation? Jim Fassel's track record is better and was interested in the job....But why try and continue another several years of mediocrity? Why not try for the next Lovie Smith type?

If you can buy the same car for less money at dealer A then why buy it from dealer B? That is the way I view Edwards and Fassel. Well the reason is Peterson wanted a FOP so he can pistol whip them when ever he wants. To him that is far more fun and valuable than an extra draft pick.FOP? Front Office Puppet?

I've been racking my brain and can't figure this out.

ct
01-09-2006, 11:08 AM
FOP? Front Office Puppet?

F*** OFF PECKERHEAD!!

:)

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 11:09 AM
FOP? Front Office Puppet?

I actually like yours better but Friend Of Peterson is what I dubbed a FOP....However Friend of Peterson and Front Office Puppet are pretty much one in the same.

Chiefnj
01-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Would a puppet write a book without ever achieving greatness in the NFL?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413458319/qid=1136830292/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-0595997-6674534?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Would a puppet write a book without ever achieving greatness in the NFL?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413458319/qid=1136830292/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-0595997-6674534?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Jim Tunney? Wasn't he a WWF commissioner back in the day?

Coogs
01-09-2006, 11:22 AM

I really didn't care for CP choice of Blackledge in '83 either. ;)

Chiefnj
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Jim Tunney? Wasn't he a WWF commissioner back in the day?

Just for you Nap, in case you missed previous Herm interviews.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/shorts.htm

BigChiefFan
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I thought most of the coaches contracts for the Chiefs had expired?

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Just for you Nap, in case you missed previous Herm interviews.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/shorts.htm

Excellent...I did miss that.

savedin79
01-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I cant see Herm and Gunther getting along, I saw a peice in the paper that he wouldnt allowis Jets coaching staff to curse at the players. I think that would be impssible for Gun.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I cant see Herm and Gunther getting along, I saw a peice in the paper that he wouldnt allowis Jets coaching staff to curse at the players. I think that would be impssible for Gun.

Good.

Gunther's behavior is childish and borderline embarrassing.

milkman
01-09-2006, 12:12 PM

The same Gunther whose personality showed how much pride he has when he came back to KC after being fired, and learning of that termination over the internet?

Yeah, he'll be more than happy to be Hermie's little bitch.

milkman
01-09-2006, 12:17 PM

You've been here since the beginning and you still don't know the lexicon?

The Chiefs pissed away a 4th round pick for a coach the Jets were going to fire anyway.

You need to take a refresher course from Titus.

NaptownChief
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM

Considering Peterson's foul mouth I can't imagine a no cusing policy flying in KC.

Dartgod
01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
You've been here since the beginning and you still don't know the lexicon?

The Chiefs pissed away a 4th round pick* for a coach the Jets were going to fire anyway.

You need to take a refresher course from Titus.

*Pending a tampering investigation from Paul Tagliabue and the NFL office
Fixed yours too...

MOhillbilly
01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Good.

Ya i dont much care for the outbursts.
Its ok to be emotional if you control it and use it in the right situations-But it all starts at the top....its telling how the D played this year IMO.

milkman
01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Considering Peterson's foul mouth I can't imagine a no cusing policy flying in KC.

I've said it before.

Gun's head would explode.

tk13
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM

Back the truck up on that statement. Anyone who wanted Vermeil to get fired/retire wanted Carl to make all those decisions.

Chris Meck
01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
for the gazillionth time, Carl Peterson was not the guy who drafted Todd Blackledge. He wasn't here for another six years. Carl's first draft choice was Derrick Thomas.

Chris

Frankie
01-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Carl Peterson = Al Davis

jspchief
01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
for the gazillionth time, Carl Peterson was not the guy who drafted Todd Blackledge. He wasn't here for another six years. Carl's first draft choice was Derrick Thomas.

Chris :)

KCTitus
01-09-2006, 01:50 PM

You need to brush up on your Chiefs history there, pardner. Carl's draft record is the worst of any GM in the NFL and if he was here he would have drafted Blackledge even after he was a proven failure.

Skip Towne
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM

No, you can't. S_T_F_U and S_T_F_D.

Skip Towne
01-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Good.

Agreed. I even started a thread about bosses who yell at their employees.

Brock
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Chris

What?

Coogs
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Chris

I've been a Chiefs fan since the late 60's. I knew that! ;)

milkman
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
You need to brush up on your Chiefs history there, pardner. Carl's draft record is the worst of any GM in the NFL and if he was here he would have drafted Blackledge even after he was a proven failure.

I'm still pissed that Carl fired Hank! :cuss:

Fruit Ninja
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Guntharr wont be going anywhere. Guntharr wont argue with Edwards. Guntharr knows his place. He is a DC he is not a HC. Just cuase Gun cusses on the sidelines doesnt mean he wont listen to Edwards. Gun is a better man then that.

Count Zarth
01-10-2006, 04:05 AM
This is truly awful.

I don't like Gunther, but he should just quit in protest if the defensive coaches are all retained.

STRIKE ONE, EDWARDS!

JOIN GERM WARFARE TODAY!