PDA

View Full Version : Mangini accepts offer to become new Jets coach

Taco John
01-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Mangini accepts offer to become new Jets coach

The Jets wrapped up their search for a new coach Monday when Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini accepted the club's offer to replace Herm Edwards.

Mangini, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34 (he turns 35 on Thursday), and the Jets were finalizing the deal late Monday, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Mangini, who has spent nearly his entire career working for Bill Belichick, emerged as the leading candidate last week. He is regarded as one of the brightest defensive minds in the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2294652

Taco John
01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
That's a real coop for the Jets. Dump the mediocre coach to an AFC rival, and then swoop in and land the hottest young coaching mind on the market. Hell of a move!

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Well, we'll know if Herm can get any of the Jet's coaches he wants now.......

tk13
I think "hottest young mind on the market" is really overstated. I'm still not sure what's so exciting about him other than that he coached under Bill Belichick.

BigChiefFan
I knew it didn't seem too far-fetched that he would accept the head coaching job for the Jets.

Bowser
01-16-2006, 09:13 PM
That's a real coop for the Jets. Dump the mediocre coach to an AFC rival, and then swoop in and land the hottest young coaching mind on the market. Hell of a move!

No, no! THIS is a hell of a coop!

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I think "hottest young mind on the market" is really overstated. I'm still not sure what's so exciting about him other than that he coached under Bill Belichick.

That's pretty much it, everyone that coaches with Belichick is the greatest thing ever. I guess that's the nature of the business, I remember the same stuff with anyone who worked for the 49ers or Cowboys aswell.

Bowser
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM

Now, a coup would be the Broncos linemen not getting caught lovingly smearing Vagasil all over their uniforms before a playoff game.

Class dismissed.

leviw
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Just when he had it going in the right direction. Back to square one with the KU football program...

...oh, wait....

TrickyNicky
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
So if you trade away your minority coach, then you don't have to interview another?

Taco John
01-16-2006, 09:20 PM

Well, I guess well see. The Chiefs paths will cross with this guy again someday, when history looks back and measures the success he has with the Jets vs. Herm's success with the Chiefs. Add that to the fact that he's been a part of four division titles, three conference titles and three Super Bowl championships. Add to that his guidance helped to convert a Wide Receiver (Troy Brown) into a Superbowl winning Cornerback on the fly. Holy shiat!

Personally, I'm impressed with Mangini's pedigree. This guy was named the Scholar Athlete of the Year in school, so that tells you a little something about his brain and willingness to prepare.

I think we're looking at the next John Gruden here in terms of coaching stature.

I can't understand why the Chiefs would pave the way for the Jets to land this guy, when they needed a defensive minded coach for themselves, but I can't explain half the things that Carl does.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
So if you trade away your minority coach, then you don't have to interview another?

They likely interviewed Donnie Henderson to abide by the rule.

Taco John
01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
That's pretty much it, everyone that coaches with Belichick is the greatest thing ever. I guess that's the nature of the business, I remember the same stuff with anyone who worked for the 49ers or Cowboys aswell.

You mean like Shanahan and Holmgren?

Experience counts for something. Just ask the Bears and the Panthers after this weekend.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, I guess well see. The Chiefs paths will cross with this guy again someday, when history looks back and measures the success he has with the Jets vs. Herm's success with the Chiefs. Add that to the fact that he's been a part of four division titles, three conference titles and three Super Bowl championships. Add to that his guidance helped to convert a Wide Receiver (Troy Brown) into a Superbowl winning Cornerback on the fly. Holy shiat!

Personally, I'm impressed with Mangini's pedigree. This guy was named the Scholar Athlete of the Year in school, so that tells you a little something about his brain and willingness to prepare.

I think we're looking at the next John Gruden here in terms of coaching stature.

I can't understand why the Chiefs would pave the way for the Jets to land this guy, when they needed a defensive minded coach for themselves, but I can't explain half the things that Carl does.

And as soon as he wants more money, he'll be coaching another team.

LesterLyles
01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I have to hand it to you guys (this board). The number of posters is incredible and you are all knowledgable. I was on here 10 minutes ago and there was still no news. I go to my Jetsinsider board, I see the news so i came back here to see if someone had posted a reply to an earlier thread and the mangini news is not only up but has 12 replies. Kudos to this board!

Taco John
01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, unless he's like Herm, he'll only ask for more money after WINNING seasons... Not 4-12 ones...

Bowser
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, unless he's like Herm, he'll only ask for more money after WINNING seasons... Not 4-12 ones...

I guess that depends on if Scott Pioli wants him back after he's been gone for 10 years.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
It doesn't matter when he asks, they'll tell him to leave. The last 4 Jet's coaches have basically fired themselves.

savedin79
01-16-2006, 09:29 PM
unproven kid

LesterLyles
01-16-2006, 09:29 PM
As for the hire, this Jets fan likes the move but its certainly not w/o risk. He is only 35. What kind of staff can he put together? How big is his learning curve. Will the vets respond to such a young guy? I like the risk/reward aspect though; this is much better than hiring a retread (like Tice). As you gusy have mentioned, bright D mind, worked for a great organization, waas very respected by all those players, was #1 in his class at Wesleyan so he is bright (VERY IMPORTANT). It looks good but so many Jets moves have looked good in the past.

Here is to a KC-Jets AFC Championship game in a couple of years!

milkman
01-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I have to give Terry Bradway credit.

He, unlike his mentor, is willing to give a young guy a chance.

He's done it twice now.

FringeNC
01-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Mangini isn't a close personal friend of Carl. That explains a lot.

LesterLyles
01-16-2006, 09:34 PM
You wanna switch Bradway for Peterson?

Deberg_1990
I have to give Terry Bradway credit.

He, unlike his mentor, is willing to give a young guy a chance.

He's done it twice now.

Good point. Carl is what he is. He will never let the team go into the tank so he wont go out on a limb and hire an unproven guy. He knows exactly what he gets in Herm. Its a safe pick for Carl.

tk13
I was 6 inches from George Brett once. I think I could hit .390 if the Royals gave me a chance.

milkman
01-16-2006, 09:36 PM

I didn't say I wanted Bradway.

I'm just giving him credit for having more balls than Carl.

LesterLyles
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
By the way, it has been played out in the NY media that Braway wanted tice and Asst. GM Mike tannenbaum and president Jay Cross wanted Mangini. I think this move says something about Bradway's future in NY

FringeNC
01-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Is there a difference? I'd prefer to keep Carl since he'll be retiring sooner.

FringeNC
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I was 6 inches from George Brett once. I think I could hit .390 if the Royals gave me a chance.

Mangini is a hell of a lot more qualified than the last coach Terry Bradway hired.

milkman
01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
By the way, it has been played out in the NY media that Braway wanted tice and Asst. GM Mike tannenbaum and president Jay Cross wanted Mangini. I think this move says something about Bradway's future in NY

If that's true, then I retract my earlier statements.

Mike Freakin' Tice?

Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

beer bacon
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM

M-M-M-Monster Troll!

Count Alex's Losses
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM

A coop?

You dumbass.

J Diddy
01-16-2006, 10:12 PM
A coop?

You dumbass.

where are the chickens?

Count Alex's Losses
01-16-2006, 10:12 PM
By the way, you are overrating Mangina.

Just what has he ever done in this league? The Patriots had their worst defensive year under Belichick this season.

Yeah, he's so hot!

Amnorix
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
That's just................great.

WTF? I mean, there's 32 teams in the NFL. Precisely FOUR are in the AFC East and 16 in the AFC.

So TWO out of the Patriots' three AFC East rivals now have Belichick disciples coaching them, and another Belichick disciple is in the AFC. The NFC, meanwhile, ahs precisely zero. WTF? How annoying...

I predict failure for Mangini. Not because he is anything but a good coach, but rather because he's young, NYC is a meat grinder, Bradway sucks, and the Jets are in a bad situation, overall, in terms of current talent and the salary cap.

TrickyNicky
01-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Just what has he ever done in this league? The Patriots had their worst defensive year under Belichick this season.

Yeah, he's so hot!
http://www.ashleysaunders.com/ashblog/archives/mugatu.jpg
That Eric Mangini. He's so hot right now!

siberian khatru
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM

I seriously doubt that.

But I bet you could outhit half the current Royals.

Taco John
01-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Yeah, he's so hot!

Now you really know that Mangini is going to be a great coach. Once you get the GoCheese anti-blessing, you are destined for greatness.

Count Alex's Losses
01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Now you really know that Mangini is going to be a great coach. Once you get the GoCheese anti-blessing, you are destined for greatness.

I guess that means Germ Edwards is bringing the Lombardi back to KC, too.

Taco John
01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess that means Germ Edwards is bringing the Lombardi back to KC, too.

It pleases God to make you look like a dumbass.

Count Alex's Losses
01-16-2006, 10:44 PM
It pleases God to make you look like a dumbass.

Well, I don't think highly of Germ obviously.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why Mangina is so hot right now. I'm not seeing it. He certainly doesn't have a track record like Crennel did.

dtebbe
01-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I can't belive anyone whould hire a trumpet player as a head coach.

But that's just me.

DT

http://www.chuckmangione.com/tn-bestofmangionecolumbia.jpg

J Diddy
01-16-2006, 10:47 PM

Perhaps you'd like to explain why Mangina is so hot right now. I'm not seeing it. He certainly doesn't have a track record like Crennel did.

I think it's the whole been with belichick for several years thing.

I don't necessarily think that's the brightest thinking.

Taco John
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Neither did Madden... Neither did Gruden.

Mangini is hot because he's a coach who has demonstrated that he's got a brain on his shoulders, along with the ability to coach. His pedigree is there for anyone to look at if they want to bother to do it. He's no slouch.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
This thinking is how guys like Marty Morningweg got head coaching jobs.

J Diddy
01-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Neither did Madden... Neither did Gruden.

Mangini is hot because he's a coach who has demonstrated that he's got a brain on his shoulders, along with the ability to coach. His pedigree is there for anyone to look at if they want to bother to do it. He's no slouch.

I don't get how this translates to the hottest thing going.

No experience, only 1 year as a coordinator, and let's face it the team who gave him a shot had Mike "the fruitcake" Tice as the fallback candidate.

Count Alex's Losses
01-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Mangini is hot because he's a coach who has demonstrated that he's got a brain on his shoulders, along with the ability to coach.

I liked when he brought in a washed-up Chad Brown and Monty Beisel to man the middle this year. That worked well. He's so smart!

tk13
01-16-2006, 11:14 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say. Morninwheg was considered a good young hot offensive mind... he got up there and was in over his head. Maybe Mangini will be successful, I don't know, but to be honest the only reason he got this job was because he worked under Bill Belichick.

I mean I understand the idea behind it, but to be honest, I think Al Saunders is far more qualified to be a head coach than Mangini. All because the guy is "young". Who cares.

Coach
01-17-2006, 12:05 AM
The Jets job is probably the worst job available. An oft-injured QB, an aging RB, O-Line in shambles.... good luck with that!

DaWolf
01-17-2006, 02:57 AM

It's funny isn't it? 5 years ago Herm was probably in a similar position to Mangini. Hot young coach who worked up the ranks under defensive mastermind Tony Dungee but lacked much experience, gets hired by the Jets.

If you want to look at it in an odd way, we're basically getting that "hot assistant coach" except with 5 years of actual head coaching experience under his belt and no growing pains. Or at least one would hope...

DaWolf
01-17-2006, 02:59 AM

Two words: Detroit Lions. I still have a hard time believing Barry Sanders' career was wasted under Wayne Fontes...

tk13
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
It's funny isn't it? 5 years ago Herm was probably in a similar position to Mangini. Hot young coach who worked up the ranks under defensive mastermind Tony Dungee but lacked much experience, gets hired by the Jets.

If you want to look at it in an odd way, we're basically getting that "hot assistant coach" except with 5 years of actual head coaching experience under his belt and no growing pains. Or at least one would hope...
Yeah, I mean, I was gonna say I think for the Jets it's not a bad hire. I'm not sure I'd wanted Carl to hire him. Just based on the team we have... maybe in about 3 years when some of these guys retire, but I don't think this team we have right now should be a training ground for a coach. If we were a rebuilding team coming off a 4-12 season, maybe.

tk13
01-17-2006, 04:06 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/383491p-325558c.html

Jets land the great Mangini

Belichick protege youngest head coach in NFL

By RICH CIMINI & GARY MYERS
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Eric Mangini goes from rookie defensive coordinator to man presiding over Jets' mess.

Publicly, the Eric Mangini-to-the-Jets speculation began several days ago. In reality, he was on their radar well before Herm Edwards' departure. Inside Weeb Ewbank Hall, the Mangini rumor had been swirling for a month, a team source revealed yesterday.

Now the secret is fact.

In what could be called a case of the young joining the restless, the Jets are set to name the Patriots' defensive coordinator as their new coach, perhaps as soon as today, two NFL sources told the Daily News.

After conducting their eighth and final interview, a seven-hour meeting with former Vikings coach Mike Tice yesterday, the Jets moved quickly to secure Mangini, who turns 35 on Thursday. Upon wrapping up Tice's interview at 4 p.m., GM Terry Bradway and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum contacted owner Woody Johnson via conference call and the troika decided to make an offer to Mangini, a source said.

Later in the evening, the two sides agreed in principle to a deal, a person close to Mangini said. Contract details still must be ironed out.

Mangini will be the youngest current head coach in the NFL, beating the Bucs' Jon Gruden by seven years. Mangini, who was making about $800,000 as a rookie coordinator, is expected to get at least a four-year contract worth more than $2 million annually. Edwards made $1.8 million in his final season.

Bradway, whose future hinges on Mangini's ability to lead the Jets out of a 4-12 abyss, wasn't available for comment.

Mangini is believed to be targeting Mike Sheppard (Saints) as his offensive coordinator and Rob Ryan (Raiders) or Jim Bates (Packers) for defensive coordinator. They held the same positions last season with their teams. Mangini worked with them in previous jobs.

Mangini, who has no head-coaching experience at the college or pro level, faces a daunting challenge. The Jets' offense needs to be retooled, Chad Pennington is rehabbing from his second shoulder surgery and the team expects to be $30 million over the projected salary cap.

Oh, yes, he also must compete in a division that includes two of his mentors, the Patriots' Bill Belichick and the Dolphins' Nick Saban. It was assumed that Belichick, who has groomed Mangini for 10 years, would dissuade him from taking the job he walked away from six years ago.

"I really didn't think Bill would let him do it," an NFL assistant coach said last night.

Early yesterday, there were obvious clues that pointed to Mangini's imminent departure from the Patriots. According to a source, he didn't report to his office because he was instructed by Belichick to stay away.

Another sign: The Jets let Tice leave town immediately after his interview. After meeting with Bradway and Tannenbaum until 4 p.m., Tice headed to LaGuardia Airport and boarded a 5:46 flight back to Minneapolis.

Tice, considered the fallback candidate, did "a real good job" and was "well-prepared" for his interview, Bradway said through a team spokesman. But, by the time Tice cleared airport security at 4:45, the Jets were hot on Mangini's trail.

On Sunday, less than 24 hours after the Patriots' playoff loss in Denver, Mangini had met for several hours near Foxboro with Bradway and Tannenbaum, a close friend. Mangini hasn't sat down with Johnson, but that likely will happen today.

The Jets began the head-coaching search eight days ago, when Edwards, who was released from his contract in exchange for a fourth-round pick, signed a four-year deal with the Chiefs.

The Jets view Mangini as a younger version of Belichick, but he's also a risk. He has only one year of experience as a coordinator, and the Patriots finished 26th in total defense. But the Jets believe his coaching pedigree and championship resume outweight his inexperience.

Mangini, raised in Hartford, was a low-level Jets assistant under Bill Parcells from 1997 to 1999. But his mentor is Belichick, with whom he has worked 10 years.

From 2000 to 2004, Mangini was the Patriots' secondary coach, capturing three Super Bowl rings. He was promoted to coordinator last offseason, replacing the popular Romeo Crennel, who left to become the Browns' coach.

Mangini endured an uneven season, with some player grumbling at the outset and a spate of injuries, but he patched it together and the defense allowed only 59 points in the last five regular-season games. Critics point to the weak competition (two games against the Jets) and the likelihood that Belichick exerted a heavy hand.

Nevertheless, many Patriots have delivered public endorsements of Mangini.

"It would be an injustice if the Jets don't hire Eric Mangini," Jets cornerback Ty Law, a former Patriot, said last week.

The Jets' three coordinators - Mike Heimerdinger, Donnie Henderson and Mike Westhoff - all interviewed for Edwards' position. It's unlikely they will be retained by the new coach.

tk13
01-17-2006, 04:22 AM
This is probably gonna heat up the Jets/Pats rivalry. I thought it was odd that the other article said Belichick had basically locked Mangini out of the building. This is what's in the Boston Herald today.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=121685

Despite the deal, questions remain regarding Mangini’s readiness to become a head coach. According to Patriots sources, he wasn’t always a take-charge type during defensive meetings this season, his first as defensive coordinator after five coaching the secondary.

During the first half of the season in particular, a source said, he often acted more like he still had his old job than his new one.

The result was a defensive game plan that minimized exposing the patchwork secondary at the expense of aggressiveness up front. The Patriots were ranked 31st in overall defense (386.3 yards per game) when the decision came to turn loose the front seven before the Dec. 4 game against the Jets.

Tellingly, that decision came not from Mangini but frustrated head coach Bill Belichick. The result was one of the best defensive units in the league over the final six weeks of the season. The Patriots allowed just three points to the Jacksonville Jaguars in their first playoff game, a 28-3 victory, with a highlight being Mangini’s perfectly disguised coverage call that led to Asante Samuel’s clinching 73-yard interception return for a touchdown.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=121682

Bad blood’ over move
By Mark Cannizzaro/ New York Post
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - Updated: 01:53 AM EST

Eric Mangini’s acceptance of the New York Jets head coaching job has seriously ruffled some feathers in New England, according to insiders with the Patriots.

As reported in The Post Saturday, Pats coach Bill Belichick had been telling his young protege not to take the job, but Mangini wanted the Jets all along as long as they didn’t lowball him financially.

Mangini is from Hartford, Conn., and went to Wesleyan University years after Belichick did. Breaking loose and not taking Belichick’s advice on this one has surely reopened the “Border Wars” that became such a topic of conversation when Bill Parcells blew off Patriots owner Robert Kraft to shop for his own groceries in New York with the Jets.

“There’s bad blood with this one,” said an industry source who knows both Mangini and the Jets well.

One member of the Patriots’ coaching staff, only half-jokingly, said yesterday that Mangini had already been locked out and banned from the building in Foxboro.

He’s worked with Belichick for 10 of his 11 years in the league and worked his way up from a public relations intern in Cleveland to a young kid breaking down and splicing up film and holding up play cards for the scout teams in practice.

“This is a meteoric rise,” said one NFL agent, who knows Mangini well.

chefsos
01-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Heh. Good stuff. I'd expect nothing less than a football soap opera with this story. After all, it's the Jets.

DaWolf
01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Despite the deal, questions remain regarding Mangini’s readiness to become a head coach. According to Patriots sources, he wasn’t always a take-charge type during defensive meetings this season, his first as defensive coordinator after five coaching the secondary.

During the first half of the season in particular, a source said, he often acted more like he still had his old job than his new one.

The result was a defensive game plan that minimized exposing the patchwork secondary at the expense of aggressiveness up front. The Patriots were ranked 31st in overall defense (386.3 yards per game) when the decision came to turn loose the front seven before the Dec. 4 game against the Jets.

Tellingly, that decision came not from Mangini but frustrated head coach Bill Belichick.

He might turn out to be a great hire but that's scary to read if I'm a Jets fan. A head coach needs to be a take charge type of guy and that does not sound like Mangini if the above is true...

Amnorix
01-17-2006, 09:16 AM
The Jets job is probably the worst job available. An oft-injured QB, an aging RB, O-Line in shambles.... good luck with that!

But the good news is that they are only about $25M over the cap. :D

Taco John
01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I liked when he brought in a washed-up Chad Brown and Monty Beisel to man the middle this year. That worked well. He's so smart!

Sounds like when the Chiefs brought in washed-up Kendrell Bell and Sammy Knight. That worked well. Gunther is so smart!

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Sounds like when the Chiefs brought in washed-up Kendrell Bell and Sammy Knight. That worked well. Gunther is so smart!

Why are you deflecting? I'm off the Gunther bandwagon.

Chiefnj
01-17-2006, 09:47 AM
It's a nice bold move for the NYJ. Too bad their fan base won't have the patience needed for him to attempt to rebuild the team. At least expectations are low for 2006.

I wonder if Ron Rivera has a shot for any head coaching interviews, or if the Bears defensive collapse this past weekend causes GM's to scratch him off their list.

Taco John
01-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Why are you deflecting? I'm off the Gunther bandwagon.

Defelecting? How is showing you that your judgement of any given personnel situation is typically weak (comma), deflecting?

Ultra Peanut
01-17-2006, 09:56 AM
That's a real coop for the Jets.¿Que?

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Defelecting? How is showing you that your judgement of any given personnel situation is typically weak (comma), deflecting?

What? I'm not being hired by the Jets. Mangina is. It was PROVEN that Beisel and Chad Brown were busts.

Just what the hell has he accomplished in the NFL?

Taco John
01-17-2006, 10:22 AM
What? I'm not being hired by the Jets. Mangina is. It was PROVEN that Beisel and Chad Brown were busts.

Just what the hell has he accomplished in the NFL?

Clearly, you missed post 11 in this very thread.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Sounds like when the Chiefs brought in washed-up Kendrell Bell and Sammy Knight. That worked well. Gunther is so smart!Weak! That was ****ing retarded. Most around here are off the Gun bandwagon. And, noone said shit about the donkeys. **** off, already...

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Why are you deflecting? I'm off the Gunther bandwagon.I think someone hurt his feelings when they made fun of his spelling...

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Clearly, you missed post 11 in this very thread.

Oh, gee. He was an assistant coach on Super Bowl teams. WOOHOO!

No, I didn't miss post #11. I don't see how it counts for much.

tk13
01-17-2006, 03:35 PM
It's a nice bold move for the NYJ. Too bad their fan base won't have the patience needed for him to attempt to rebuild the team. At least expectations are low for 2006.

I wonder if Ron Rivera has a shot for any head coaching interviews, or if the Bears defensive collapse this past weekend causes GM's to scratch him off their list.
Yeah, reading their board yesterday it seemed like a lot of them were really excited by the move. It should be funny to watch that in about a year when they aren't in a Super Bowl yet and they have mistakes to pick apart.

Amnorix
01-17-2006, 03:47 PM
. It was PROVEN that Beisel and Chad Brown were busts.

Brown I'll grant you. I'm really not giving up on Beisel, though. He was fine (not great, not terrible) against the Jags in the firts round of the playoffs. He's young, and it often takes years for the LBs to get used to Belichick's system. I definitely haven't given up hope.

More importantly, I really don't think Mangini had a helluva lot to say about Beisel/Brown. I'm sure Pioli and Belichick did speak with him, but I doubt he made the final decision or anything.

All that said, here's hoping he fails miserable as the HC of the NYJ.

chefsos
01-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I had the press conference on the radio, and Mangini sounded like he was doing a 10th grade oral presentation. Kinda scared-ish sounding.

Someone on their board said that since Belichick doesn't allow his assistants to talk much to the media, this may well be his first ever PC. Makes sense.

Amnorix
01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
I had the press conference on the radio, and Mangini sounded like he was doing a 10th grade oral presentation. Kinda scared-ish sounding.

Someone on their board said that since Belichick doesn't allow his assistants to talk much to the media, this may well be his first ever PC. Makes sense.

Suffice to say he's done very, very few interviews. I'm sure none were Live on ESPN type things.

I know he's done at least a couple though. But who cares. BB doesn't exactly sound like Ricardo Maltaban up there or anything...

Matt Helm
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Heed the sig!!!