PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: Letting Saunders go would be offensive

tk13
01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13641423.htm

Letting Saunders go would be offensive
JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

OK, the Chiefs need to go all out and bring Al Saunders back to run the offense. Enough is enough, already. Every day we have to watch this brilliant football coach and terrific person twist in the wind, while Sith lords like Al Davis and Matt Millen ponder whether Saunders is qualified enough to run the wreckage they call football teams.

Look, I know that Al Saunders wants to be a head football coach again. He was a head coach once, 20 years ago in San Diego, and it left a bad taste. He was given 2½ seasons and an aging football team, and then he was cast aside like an old phone book. He will be 59 years old in a couple of weeks. I know he’d like another chance, and he might yet get the big offer.

And we all know that it had to hurt being passed over by Chiefs president/CEO/general manager/dream weaver Carl Peterson yet again. That makes two times that Peterson interviewed Saunders but hired someone else to be head coach. No matter what Peterson may say (he is on record lately saying that Saunders “should definitely be a head coach in this league”), those actions speak harshly. It would be hard on anyone’s pride to come back to a team that has rejected you twice.
But all of those things should be secondary. Saunders coming back makes too much sense for everybody. It should happen.

Bringing back Saunders obviously makes all sorts of sense for the Chiefs. I’m not sure that even now everyone in and out of the Chiefs organization understands how good an offensive coordinator Saunders has been the last five years. He took an offense with a beat-up quarterback, backup running back, castoff receivers and made it the highest scoring in the NFL. Twice. They led the league in yardage twice more.

Saunders came up with an offensive plan that let Priest Holmes set the NFL touchdown record, gave Larry Johnson the chance to run for 100 yards in nine straight games, helped Tony Gonzalez smash tight-end receiving records, turned Trent Green into a Pro Bowl quarterback, repaired Eddie Kennison’s broken career and meshed the Chiefs’ offensive line into the best unit in the game.

Not a bad resume, is it? Who has done better? There are only a handful of offensive coordinators in the history of the NFL who have accomplished anything close — and most of them were called “geniuses.” Saunders, for some reason, never gets called a genius, which is a shame because he’s probably a whole lot closer to joining MENSA than most. He has a master’s degree in education from Stanford. He likes to read, he’s run in the Boston Marathon, he has his priorities straight, he likes to talk about history and politics and family and all sorts of non-football stuff.

That’s probably why real men of genius like Matt Millen hesitate to hire him. They like their coaches rumpled and bleary eyed.

Anyway, the Chiefs should want Saunders back desperately. And here’s where I think they have utterly fallen down: The instant they hired Herm Edwards to be coach, they should have reached out to Saunders. They should have offered him a big-money, long-term deal to come back and run the offense — not unlike what Washington did for defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. They should have offered Saunders some fancy title like “Associate Head Coach in Charge of Offense.”

They should have told him that, by staying, he can become a Kansas City legend. In other words, they should have made it hard on him to leave.

Now, maybe Peterson and Edwards did some of these things behind the scenes. I doubt it, though. And that’s too bad because Edwards, in particular, needs Al Saunders. Edwards needs a powerful presence running the offense. Edwards can talk all he wants about how he “coaches his players” and “plays to his strengths,” but the truth is he has never been around a good offense. Ever. In Edwards’ five years in New York, his teams were awful offensively every single season, even the playoff years.

Edwards said in his opening news conference that he would like a team that scores 30 points a game. Well, that doesn’t just happen. Saunders is the guy who turned this offense into a scoring machine. Edwards should be doing everything to bring Saunders back.

OK, so now you ask: Why should Saunders come back? Well, here’s why: Because the coaching jobs out there are terrible. Even if Saunders could get one of these jobs — and that’s looking shakier — does he really want them? The Oakland Raiders? The Detroit Lions? The Buffalo Bills? This is like being in charge of cleaning up after the Exxon Valdez. These are troubled teams with shaky management and frustrated fans. The previous coaches did not even get three seasons to turn the teams around.

Sure, he would take one of these jobs if he didn’t have a better option. That’s why the Chiefs should give him a better option. Offer him money. Offer him a title. Offer him a chance to finish the job and take his great offense to the Super Bowl. Offer him a chance to stay in Kansas City. Saunders loves Kansas City.

It may be too late for all this. There might be some hurt feelings and ego issues and other problems, I don’t know. I do know this, though: Al Saunders has done an amazing job for the Kansas City Chiefs. And you shouldn’t let a man like that go without a fight. Especially to Oakland.

SNR
01-17-2006, 02:15 AM
This is one of those articles that makes me mad to think JoPo gets paid to write the obvious, when we as Chiefsplanet posters do it for free

Mecca
01-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Well all that right there should tell you, he's not coming back. The Chiefs never do anything they should do.........

DaWolf
01-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Basically if Al Saunders goes to Oakland and wins, it will be Al Davis making Carl Peterson look stupid twice now after Carl won the first round with Marcus Allen (Al countered with Rich Gannon). It would basically force the demise of Carl, because he would be absolutely shredded.

Of course while Herm wasn't my first choice, Saunders certainly wasn't someone I wanted to see taking over the Chiefs, for many reasons (age, the fact that he's IMO probably one of those guys who is a better coordinator thana head coach, the fact that I think better candidates are out there) so I'd have no room to criticize Carl on that one.

Pos is right though, Carl has interviewed him twice now and passed him over twice. I'm not sure what Carl thought was missing, but I don't buy the whole "Al disagreed with Carl and wasn't afraid to tell him" bit. I mean so what? He's the leading candidate now to be the head coach in a place where he'll basically have zero say in personnel and other matters...

The Bad Guy
01-17-2006, 02:46 AM
If Saunders gets the job in Oakland and he takes Solari then the Chiefs have to get Martz if they want as little transition as possible with this offense.

I don't want Heimerdinger.

The Bad Guy
01-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Well all that right there should tell you, he's not coming back. The Chiefs never do anything they should do.........

This is all about Al.

If he doesn't get a HC job, does he have it in him to swallow his pride, again?

Of course the Chiefs want him back as an OC, but they can't hold a gun to his head to come back.

I have a feeling this is all resolved by Friday.

DaWolf
01-17-2006, 02:49 AM
If Saunders gets the job in Oakland and he takes Solari then the Chiefs have to get Martz if they want as little transition as possible with this offense.

The Chiefs just need to go out and get a real wide reciever and hire a coordinator who is going to get the ball to LJ, Gonzo, and said wide reciever as much as possible. We can score points as long as the players are there and being utilized. If that's al Saunders, great. If not, I think we can survive. Solari is a guy who I don't want to lose though. Our OL and ground game is the key IMHO.

Our offense could churn out the yards under Saunders and at times be explosive. As the playoffs have proven, that's really not what wins postseason games. And really, that's all I'm interested in at this point...

tk13
01-17-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't know. Martz won't run the football. If there's one thing Heimerdinger will do, that's run the football. He ran Eddie George right into the ground.

ChiefFan31
01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
I think that is a good article. I like seeing a sportswriter in KC that is a Chiefs fan, and he is making a push to get the guy he feels best to run the offense in Kansas City.

Unlike another jackass who writes for the same paper. <---couldnt resist chance at a jab :D

At this point, it would be nice to have Al back. but I am more interested in what happens with him in regards to Mike Solari.

I am pretty surprised to even hear Martz' name mentioned as a possible OC in this thread.

tk13
01-17-2006, 04:29 AM
That said, I forgot about the Broncos. There's also probably a chance Heimerdinger would go back to where he came, to be the OC under Shanahan since Kubiak is leaving. If Saunders goes to Oakland and takes our people with him, and Heimerdinger goes to Denver, then what? I haven't even thought about that.

tk13
01-17-2006, 05:02 AM
From John Clayton....

Heimerdinger to land on his feet: Mangini's hiring should set the stage for Mike Heimerdinger's departure to the Broncos as their offensive coordinator. That job will open in Denver once Gary Kubiak leaves for the Houston Texans as their next coach. Heimerdinger was a candidate for the Jets' head coaching job. Mangini is expected to consider Saints offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard for the offensive coordinator's job and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for the same post in New York.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2294685&name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2294685%26name%3dclay ton_john

ChiefFan31
01-17-2006, 05:13 AM
That said, I forgot about the Broncos. There's also probably a chance Heimerdinger would go back to where he came, to be the OC under Shanahan since Kubiak is leaving. If Saunders goes to Oakland and takes our people with him, and Heimerdinger goes to Denver, then what? I haven't even thought about that.

That is interesting. I would imagine Herm would have some interest in Heimerdinger (stating obvious) but if Al goes to Oakland and takes Solari, and like you said, Heim..goes to the Donkeys then Hmmmm.

I wonder who is on our radar for OC after those guys...Have we interviewed Norv Turner yet? I am rooting for a guy that runs the same offense or scheme as we have been. Who is left after Norv??

DenverChief
01-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Have we interviewed Norv Turner yet??

He is the new 49er's OC

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133955

ChiefFan31
01-17-2006, 05:33 AM
He is the new 49er's OC

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133955

Son of a...

well, so be it with Norv. But that makes me ancy...who is next on CP's "list" (Carl, good grief..even typing CP made me shudder a bit)

Fruit Ninja
01-17-2006, 06:26 AM

NO way to Martz, Trent wont live through the season.

Hog Farmer
01-17-2006, 07:20 AM
This is one of those articles that makes me mad to think JoPo gets paid to write the obvious, when we as Chiefsplanet posters do it for free

Carl and Herm are far more likely to be reading JoPo than the Chiefs Planet. Maybe they will read this and scratch their heads.

John_Wayne
01-17-2006, 08:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13641423.htm

Letting Saunders go would be offensive
JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

OK, the Chiefs need to go all out and bring Al Saunders back to run the offense. Enough is enough, already. Every day we have to watch this brilliant football coach and terrific person twist in the wind, while Sith lords like Al Davis and Matt Millen ponder whether Saunders is qualified enough to run the wreckage they call football teams.

Look, I know that Al Saunders wants to be a head football coach again. He was a head coach once, 20 years ago in San Diego, and it left a bad taste. He was given 2½ seasons and an aging football team, and then he was cast aside like an old phone book. He will be 59 years old in a couple of weeks. I know he’d like another chance, and he might yet get the big offer.

And we all know that it had to hurt being passed over by Chiefs president/CEO/general manager/dream weaver Carl Peterson yet again. That makes two times that Peterson interviewed Saunders but hired someone else to be head coach. No matter what Peterson may say (he is on record lately saying that Saunders “should definitely be a head coach in this league”), those actions speak harshly. It would be hard on anyone’s pride to come back to a team that has rejected you twice.
But all of those things should be secondary. Saunders coming back makes too much sense for everybody. It should happen.

Bringing back Saunders obviously makes all sorts of sense for the Chiefs. I’m not sure that even now everyone in and out of the Chiefs organization understands how good an offensive coordinator Saunders has been the last five years. He took an offense with a beat-up quarterback, backup running back, castoff receivers and made it the highest scoring in the NFL. Twice. They led the league in yardage twice more.

Saunders came up with an offensive plan that let Priest Holmes set the NFL touchdown record, gave Larry Johnson the chance to run for 100 yards in nine straight games, helped Tony Gonzalez smash tight-end receiving records, turned Trent Green into a Pro Bowl quarterback, repaired Eddie Kennison’s broken career and meshed the Chiefs’ offensive line into the best unit in the game.

Not a bad resume, is it? Who has done better? There are only a handful of offensive coordinators in the history of the NFL who have accomplished anything close — and most of them were called “geniuses.” Saunders, for some reason, never gets called a genius, which is a shame because he’s probably a whole lot closer to joining MENSA than most. He has a master’s degree in education from Stanford. He likes to read, he’s run in the Boston Marathon, he has his priorities straight, he likes to talk about history and politics and family and all sorts of non-football stuff.

That’s probably why real men of genius like Matt Millen hesitate to hire him. They like their coaches rumpled and bleary eyed.

Anyway, the Chiefs should want Saunders back desperately. And here’s where I think they have utterly fallen down: The instant they hired Herm Edwards to be coach, they should have reached out to Saunders. They should have offered him a big-money, long-term deal to come back and run the offense — not unlike what Washington did for defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. They should have offered Saunders some fancy title like “Associate Head Coach in Charge of Offense.”

They should have told him that, by staying, he can become a Kansas City legend. In other words, they should have made it hard on him to leave.

Now, maybe Peterson and Edwards did some of these things behind the scenes. I doubt it, though. And that’s too bad because Edwards, in particular, needs Al Saunders. Edwards needs a powerful presence running the offense. Edwards can talk all he wants about how he “coaches his players” and “plays to his strengths,” but the truth is he has never been around a good offense. Ever. In Edwards’ five years in New York, his teams were awful offensively every single season, even the playoff years.

Edwards said in his opening news conference that he would like a team that scores 30 points a game. Well, that doesn’t just happen. Saunders is the guy who turned this offense into a scoring machine. Edwards should be doing everything to bring Saunders back.

OK, so now you ask: Why should Saunders come back? Well, here’s why: Because the coaching jobs out there are terrible. Even if Saunders could get one of these jobs — and that’s looking shakier — does he really want them? The Oakland Raiders? The Detroit Lions? The Buffalo Bills? This is like being in charge of cleaning up after the Exxon Valdez. These are troubled teams with shaky management and frustrated fans. The previous coaches did not even get three seasons to turn the teams around.

Sure, he would take one of these jobs if he didn’t have a better option. That’s why the Chiefs should give him a better option. Offer him money. Offer him a title. Offer him a chance to finish the job and take his great offense to the Super Bowl. Offer him a chance to stay in Kansas City. Saunders loves Kansas City.

It may be too late for all this. There might be some hurt feelings and ego issues and other problems, I don’t know. I do know this, though: Al Saunders has done an amazing job for the Kansas City Chiefs. And you shouldn’t let a man like that go without a fight. Especially to Oakland.

:clap: :)

I totally agree. Keeping Saunders should be the #1 goal for Carl right now. Figure out a way to make it happen Carl !!!

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Sith lords?

This is twice in the past week Joe Posnanski has used a Star Wars reference in his column.

I think he's a GIANT NERD.

CosmicPal
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Sith lords?

This is twice in the past week Joe Posnanski has used a Star Wars reference in his column.

I think he's a GIANT NERD.

Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

I freely admit that I am a Giant Nerd. I'd like to see JoPo keep up the Star Wars references.

Extra Point
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
No Chiefs fan is happy with a coach until he leaves. When Saunders is gone it will be, "Alright! No more cute plays!" I wish only the best for Saunders, even if its with the Evil Emperor. I wished the same for Gannon. I can't wait to read all the comments about how crummy Saunders was, and how glad a lot of fans will be when he's gone.

A lot of people have posted that we need a defensive-minded coach to win the Super Bowl. Look at the stats: More offensive-background coaches have won Super Bowls.

One good thing about hiring Edwards: At least our kicker wasn't intrumental in hiring him!

Did I tell you how glad I am that Vermiel has retired? I am, actually!

RedDread
01-17-2006, 10:18 AM
No Chiefs fan is happy with a coach until he leaves. When Saunders is gone it will be, "Alright! No more cute plays!" I wish only the best for Saunders, even if its with the Evil Emperor. I wished the same for Gannon. I can't wait to read all the comments about how crummy Saunders was, and how glad a lot of fans will be when he's gone.

A lot of people have posted that we need a defensive-minded coach to win the Super Bowl. Look at the stats: More offensive-background coaches have won Super Bowls.

One good thing about hiring Edwards: At least our kicker wasn't intrumental in hiring him!

Did I tell you how glad I am that Vermiel has retired? I am, actually!

I don't remember too many WTF plays this year honestly... :shrug:

CosmicPal
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Good article.

And I agree Saunders should be retained, as well as Solari. Teams are not only looking for head coaches, but offensive coordinators as well. If KC (Peterson/Edwards) were smart, they'd be giving Saunders a beautiful new contract and a title ASAP.

Otherwise, Saunders and Solari will both be gone, and there won't be any valuable candidates remaining.

Mr. Laz
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
No way i'd come back if i was Saunders ... after being dissed by peterson twice.

He actually picked Goooonther to be HC over saunders!?!

if i didn't get an HC job i can always go be a OC for another team ... like st. louis.

let the edwards,peterson and gunther figure out how to run an offense.

i'd string them along and make them think that i MIGHT come back. Just wait til the last minute and grab the best HC or OC job i could then steal as many offensive coaches they i could from KC.(solari,saxon etc)

leave the chiefs to pick from all the jimmy raye type coaches left.

see how fast this offense goes down hill with some moron like Raye running it.

milkman
01-17-2006, 08:47 PM
No way i'd come back if i was Saunders ... after being dissed by peterson twice.

He actually picked Goooonther to be HC or saunders!?!

if i didn't get an HC job i can always go be a OC for another team ... like st. louis.

let the edwards,peterson and gunther figure out how to run an offense.

i'd string them along and make them think that i MIGHT come back. Just wait til the last minute and grab the best HC or OC job i could then steal as many offensive coaches they i could from KC.(solari,saxon etc)

leave the chiefs to pick from all the jimmy raye type coaches left.

see how fast this offense goes down hill with some moron like Raye running it.

I'm fairly certain I agree with everything you said here.

Mr. Laz
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm fairly certain I agree with everything you said here.
fairly certain ... ROFL

do i really type so jumbled that you're not really sure what i meant?!?

look at me ... i'm Mr. tommykat, nobody can understand what i type. :Bwana:

milkman
01-17-2006, 09:23 PM
fairly certain ... ROFL

do i really type so jumbled that you're not really sure what i meant?!?

look at me ... i'm Mr. tommykat, nobody can understand what i type. :Bwana:

Huh?

:p

chiefsfan1963
01-18-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm just glad this is the last hurrah for CP! I see the light ahead of the tunnel and it is looking real good, a future without CP as our GM!

MahiMike
01-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Finally! A writer in KC getting the message. How the hell Carl didn't hire him is beyond me. If I were Al, I'd piss on Carl's half-hearted attempt to keep me, go to the Faiders and ram Randy Moss down his neck!

Brock
01-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Finally! A writer in KC getting the message. How the hell Carl didn't hire him is beyond me. If I were Al, I'd piss on Carl's half-hearted attempt to keep me, go to the Faiders and ram Randy Moss down his neck!

Either that or I'd be really alarmed that I was forced to take a job nobody else wanted.

Biggs
01-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Herm never made it to the playoffs without Hackett as his OC. Look for Herm to bring him back after Saunders leaves and Hermdinger goes back to Denver.