PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kipers first mock....

Mecca
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Here is Mr Hair's first mock draft.

1. HOU - Reggie Bush - RB - USC
2. NO - Matt Leinart - QB - USC
3. TEN - Vince Young - QB - Texas
4. NYJ - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - OT - Virginia
5. GB - Mario Williams - DE - NC State
6. OAK - A.J. Hawk - LB - Ohio State
7. SF - DeMeco Ryans - LB - Alabama
8. BUF - Haloti Ngata - DT - Oregon
9. DET - Jay Cutler - QB - Vanderbilt
10. ARI - DeAngelo Williams - RB - Memphis
11. STL - Vernon Davis - TE - Maryland
12. CLE - Chad Greenway - LB - Iowa
13. BAL - Tamba Hali - DE - Penn State
14. PHI - Santonio Holmes - WR - Ohio State
15. ATL - Michael Huff - DB - Texas
16. MIA - Winston Justice - OT - USC
17. MIN - LenDale White - RB - USC
18. DAL - Jimmy Williams - DB - Virginia Tech
19. SD - Ko Simpson - DB - South Carolina
20. KC - Ashton Youboty - CB - Ohio State
21. NE - Bobby Carpenter - LB - Ohio State
22. DEN - Mathias Kiwanuka - DE - Boston College
23. TB - Derek Hagan - WR - Arizona State
24. CIN - Claude Wroten - DT - LSU
25. NYG - Ernie Sims - LB - Florida State
26. CHI - Leonard Pope - TE - Georgia
27. CAR - Anthony Fasano - TE - Notre Dame
28. PIT - Antonio Cromartie - CB - Florida State
29. JAX - Thomas Howard - LB - UTEP
30. IND - Laurence Maroney - RB - Minnesota
31. DEN - Darnell Bing - DB - USC
32. SEA - Chad Jackson - WR - Florida

Dick Bull
01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
whose yo booty?

Mecca
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
My comment on this is, if we pass on Kiwanuka for a corner I'd throw something through my TV.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I'll be really pissed if KC passes on McNeill if he's still available, but with Solari as OC. The Chiefs will get the cream of the crop if Winston, Scott, or McNeill falls too us.

John Matrix
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
No way we don't draft Kiwi at 20 unless he blows out his O-ring during the combine.

The Bad Guy
01-17-2006, 03:52 PM
My comment on this is, if we pass on Kiwanuka for a corner I'd throw something through my TV.

I'll be at the draft. If we do, I'll be arrested for beating up the guy who wrote it on the card.

JBucc
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Who the **** is this guy?

Ultra Peanut
01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
10. ARI - DeAngelo Williams - RB - MemphisThat wouldn't be too shabby. Warm climate, team with the potential to become pretty decent...

HolmeZz
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Ashton Youboty is my #1 rated true corner. I like the kid alot. He's a better prospect at this moment than Kiwi. Couldn't go wrong with either guy though.

ChiefsCountry
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
The DE from Boston College would be awesome. Him and Allen would tear up. Do you think McNeal will fall to us in the second? Probally not, but it would be sweet if the draft fell that way.

Miles
01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
gbnreport has us taking Youboty as well. Ahead of Michael Huff at that.

Spicy McHaggis
01-17-2006, 04:48 PM

And he goes to Denver 2 picks later.

I didn't think Cutler would be projected so high but it wouldn't suprise me if Detroit ignored their D again.

Reaper16
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Wow. A couple of days ago, I saw a bunch of mocks giving us Youboty...
...in the second round. What happened to make his stock jump up so much?

HolmeZz
01-17-2006, 07:00 PM

Nothing. Those were just bad mocks.

tk13
01-17-2006, 07:13 PM
That'd be a killer first round for Denver. I don't like it.

Reaper16
01-17-2006, 07:32 PM
That'd be a killer first round for Denver. I don't like it.
Yeah, really. Can't they go with a Derek Hagan/Rod Wright 1st round, or something?

Mr. Laz
01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
the chiefs take Ash ton You booty

heh ... sorry

i wonder if he's friends with larry i have a big johnson.

Reaper16
01-17-2006, 09:33 PM
the chiefs take Ash ton You booty

heh ... sorry

i wonder if he's friends with larry i have a big johnson.
CRAP-honzo

jspchief
01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not a Kiper hater, but this is where he's weak.

He probably looked at KC's pass defense and assumed we needed CB. When the reality is in terms of need safety and D-line probably rank higher. Youboty isn't a clear BAA, especially with guys like Kiwanuka still available.

Kiper is good at ranking players with the rounds they go in, but he's not great at pinpointing positional needs from team to team.

*By the way, I believe this is Insider stuff, so technically shouldn't be posted here.

ChiefsCountry
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
*By the way, I believe this is Insider stuff, so technically shouldn't be posted here.

It is, but they went through each one on SportsCenter.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Youboty is a STUD. Plain and simple, he's a stud.

However, jspchief already said it.

Kiper looked at our pass defense and deduced we needed a CB, which would make him wrong.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Whats "BAA"?

the Talking Can
01-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Whats "BAA"?

the sound a sheep makes when Carl tries to hump it....

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 07:57 AM
ROFL

Brock
01-18-2006, 08:10 AM

A phone call from his agent.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Whats "BAA"?

Best
Athlete
Available

The general consensus is teams don't put too much emphasis on positional need in the first round. For instance, rather than reach and take a 2nd round caliber DT to fill your DT need, you might take a CB that is the best talent left on the board. Teams still try and fill positions, and no doubt rank their athletes accordingly, but they don't pass on great players even if it isn't a position of need.

Youboty isn't a great need for KC, because we have solid CBs (in comparison to other holes). If he was a clear BAA, I could see us taking him anyway. According to Kiper's draft, there are other players that fill positional needs and IMO are equal talents to Youboty. For instance, Kiwanuka.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Kiper has 6 LBs going in round 1. I just don't see that happening. There are too many great LBs available. Teams will be able to get 1 round caliber LBs in the second round.

It's too bad we already have our young corps of LBs, because this draft is full of good ones.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Kiper has 6 LBs going in round 1. I just don't see that happening. There are too many great LBs available. Teams will be able to get 1 round caliber LBs in the second round.

It's too bad we already have our young corps of LBs, because this draft is full of good ones.

I agree yet again.

LB's very often fall in the draft. I don't see more than 3 or 4 going in the 1st...

Rain Man
01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I'll also agree with the previous posts that I don't see us drafting a CB - any CB - in the first round.

the Talking Can
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
while we do need a young CB, OL/DE/S/DT/WR are bigger priorities...but BAA is smart, it got us LJ.....

jspchief
01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
while we do need a young CB, OL/DE/S/DT/WR are bigger priorities...but BAA is smart, it got us LJ.....That's the thing, I don't think Youboty would be a clear BAA. You could make a case for any of those needs you listed having a player that is comparable to to him in relative terms.

duncan_idaho
01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I think it's much more likely that the Chiefs take Darnell Bing at that spot... then maybe see if Dumervil falls in the second round?

shakesthecat
01-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it's much more likely that the Chiefs take Darnell Bing at that spot... then maybe see if Dumervil falls in the second round?

I'm kinda leaning towards taking Bing myself. Wesley is spotty at best and Knight isn't getting younger.

I've only seen Youboty and OSU play a couple times this year, but don't recall hearing his named called much as ABC\ESPN was too busy slurping AJ Hawk.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
I think it's much more likely that the Chiefs take Darnell Bing at that spot... then maybe see if Dumervil falls in the second round?Bing would certainly come closer to filling a need. He could replace Wesley on the spot (and Edwards isn't afraid to play rookies). Not sure a CB could unseat Warfield so easily.

I don't think there's any way we take Dumervil. The guy is a prototype 3-4 OLB.

Jim Jones
01-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Kiper's mocks are always horrible. His problem is he really never looks at a teams need, he just does his mock drafts based on where players are ranked on his board.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Bing would certainly come closer to filling a need. He could replace Wesley on the spot (and Edwards isn't afraid to play rookies). Not sure a CB could unseat Warfield so easily.

I don't think there's any way we take Dumervil. The guy is a prototype 3-4 OLB.

Of course if KC had a smart DC he would put Warfield back to FS his natural position. It will be interesting what Bartee will do also if he can break back into the starting slot since he is back to the Safety position.

banyon
01-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Can't wait for the first deep ball down the sidelines:

"Moss faked left and right, but couldn't shake You booty"

please say that it's pronounced that way.

philfree
01-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Thomas Howard in the 1st round. I've never him play but I had him pigeon holed for our 2nd round pick just because I like what I read about him. He can rush the passer from a down position from what I've read but he can also play regular LB too. He'd be a Legacy if the Chiefs drafted him.

I also like Bunkley as a Chief. We need a pass rushing interior lineman.

IMO we trade down in this draft because there is like talent from the 20th to 32nd picks.

PhilFree:arrow:

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Bunkley is way undersized. I'd take him if we were thinking about ditching Sims, but I really think we need a big 330-lb. plugger right now.

jspchief
01-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Bunkley is way undersized. I'd take him if we were thinking about ditching Sims, but I really think we need a big 330-lb. plugger right now.The problem is, there are only two real prospects at that size. Ngata, who won't make it to us. And Gabe Watson, who is terribly over-rated.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
The problem is, there are only two real prospects at that size. Ngata, who won't make it to us. And Gabe Watson, who is terribly over-rated.

That's why I'd look to acquire a player like Darnell Bing in the 1st round and take Watson later in the draft.

jspchief
01-19-2006, 08:44 AM
That's why I'd look to acquire a player like Darnell Bing in the 1st round and take Watson later in the draft.I've been touting taking a safety early for 2+ years now. I think it gives us the best shot at an immediate upgrade in the starting line-up.

But I also feel we have to do something to improve our interior rush. Maybe Siavii will finally figure it out. :)

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I've been touting taking a safety early for 2+ years now. I think it gives us the best shot at an immediate upgrade in the starting line-up.

But I also feel we have to do something to improve our interior rush. Maybe Siavii will finally figure it out. :)

Safety is one of the most important positions on the field. Look at guys like Thomas Davis now coming on and how well the Panther's are doing. Or Troy Polamalu and how he played against Indy. Sean Taylor and the list goes on.

Or better yet, look back to when we had a great defense with guys like Mark Collins.

We need to bite the bullet and get that ballhawking safety that all the great defenses have.

Chiefnj
01-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Didn't Gunther just get the ballhawking safety that he dreamed of? Wasn't Knight on his dream team wish list?

Battle, Bartee, Woods, Wesley, Knight, Connot. KC has drafted a lot of safeties and or re-signed a lot of safeties in recent years. I don't see Carl going for one early in the draft.

Plus, other than Huff (if he slides a bit) there aren't really many safeties that would warrant a #20 draft pick, IMO.

Last year I was in the Pollack camp - which I still stand by, as the Chiefs still need a DE. Pollack was the leading tackler and had the only Bengals sack in the playoff loss to Pitt. If Lewis had used him correctly, that is kept him at DE, rather than try to make him a 4-3 OLB he would have had much better numbers.

This year I'm leaning toward Nance or Hali. Maybe McNeil if he is still around.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Didn't Gunther just get the ballhawking safety that he dreamed of? Wasn't Knight on his dream team wish list?

Battle, Bartee, Woods, Wesley, Knight, Connot. KC has drafted a lot of safeties and or re-signed a lot of safeties in recent years. I don't see Carl going for one early in the draft.

Plus, other than Huff (if he slides a bit) there aren't really many safeties that would warrant a #20 draft pick, IMO.

Last year I was in the Pollack camp - which I still stand by, as the Chiefs still need a DE. Pollack was the leading tackler and had the only Bengals sack in the playoff loss to Pitt. If Lewis had used him correctly, that is kept him at DE, rather than try to make him a 4-3 OLB he would have had much better numbers.

This year I'm leaning toward Nance or Hali. Maybe McNeil if he is still around.

I like Knight, but he's a complimentary player. He's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor, which is what we sorely need. Battle and Bartee are (or were) CB's for too long to be that, too.

Bing or Huff would fit that role. We should at least consider them if we're looking BAA. Nance, Hali, and McNeill would all be great picks as well.

Dunit35
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
I like that DE from BC, hes super fast. I hope there is a DT worth taking in the first and an LT in the second.

Thig Lyfe
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Surtain
Madison
Law
Warfield
Youboty

UNSTOPPABLE

CanadaKC
01-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Seeing Jimmy Williams and Huff going that close to us will kill me.

redhed
01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Cristal Ball

Chiefs trade up for (you heard it here first):
This is cntrlC&V'd from the Texans War Room

Etuini Haloti Moala Ngata
College: Oregon
Year: Sophomore
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 345
Birthday: January 21, 1984

(profile written by Warren DeLuca)
Etuini Haloti Moala Ngata is a massive young man with a rare combination of power and agility. Opponents are satisfied if they can stop the defensive tackle’s forward surge; pushing him backwards is out of the question. Ngata also has the athletic ability to chase down quarterbacks and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. His ability to collapse the pocket and swallow blockers makes him the prototype lineman for a 3-4 defense.

Ngata tore an anterior cruciate ligament in the first half of Oregon's first game last season, had it surgically repaired, and missed the rest of the season and spring practice. The Ducks expect him back, and he was healthy enough to compete as a part-time shot putter for the track team last spring, but he has to prove it on the football field. Ngata's experience at this level consists only of his dozen games as a true freshman in 2002 and less than half of a game in 2003, so he needs more seasoning.

Off the field, Ngata is a quiet homebody and devout Mormon who comes from a very close-knit family. Tragedy struck the Ngata clan when Haloti's father died in a car wreck last December. Ngata wants to earn his college diploma out of respect for his late father, who never graduated from high school. However, playing in the NFL is also one of his stated goals, so leaving school early is not necessarily out of the question since he could take care of his family with first-round money and finish his education later.

Now there's a NT!
Maybe Jr can realize his potential, and we keep the 4-3.
I know, I'm dreamin'...

Reaper16
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Cristal Ball

Chiefs trade up for (you heard it here first):
This is cntrlC&V'd from the Texans War Room

Etuini Haloti Moala Ngata
College: Oregon
Year: Sophomore
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 345
Birthday: January 21, 1984

Etuini Haloti Moala Ngata is a massive young man with a rare combination of power and agility. Opponents are satisfied if they can stop the defensive tackle’s forward surge; pushing him backwards is out of the question. Ngata also has the athletic ability to chase down quarterbacks and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. His ability to collapse the pocket and swallow blockers makes him the prototype lineman for a 3-4 defense.

Ngata tore an anterior cruciate ligament in the first half of Oregon's first game last season, had it surgically repaired, and missed the rest of the season and spring practice. The Ducks expect him back, and he was healthy enough to compete as a part-time shot putter for the track team last spring, but he has to prove it on the football field. Ngata's experience at this level consists only of his dozen games as a true freshman in 2002 and less than half of a game in 2003, so he needs more seasoning.

Off the field, Ngata is a quiet homebody and devout Mormon who comes from a very close-knit family. Tragedy struck the Ngata clan when Haloti's father died in a car wreck last December. Ngata wants to earn his college diploma out of respect for his late father, who never graduated from high school. However, playing in the NFL is also one of his stated goals, so leaving school early is not necessarily out of the question since he could take care of his family with first-round money and finish his education later.

Now there's a NT!
Maybe Jr can realize his potential, and we keep the 4-3.
I know, I'm dreamin'...

You're saying we trade up into the Top 8?

redhed
01-24-2006, 09:30 AM
You're saying we trade up into the Top 8?

It's a fantasy; CP would never do that!

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Off the field, Ngata is a quiet homebody and devout Mormon...

Great, we know how Carl's negotiation techniques fly with Mormons.

tk13
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Both of Herm's safeties in New York this year were 2nd day picks from the last two years. They did a good job of finding and drafting safeties... I don't know how much Herm's experience as a DB coach had to do with that. It'll be interesting to see how he addresses that position in KC.

Mecca
01-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Both of Herm's safeties in New York this year were 2nd day picks from the last two years. They did a good job of finding and drafting safeties... I don't know how much Herm's experience as a DB coach had to do with that. It'll be interesting to see how he addresses that position in KC.

I hope he tells Greg Wesley that he sucks........

htismaqe
01-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I hope he tells Greg Wesley that he sucks........

No shit.

Michael Shant
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Kiper's mocks are always horrible. His problem is he really never looks at a teams need, he just does his mock drafts based on where players are ranked on his board.

Mel Kiper is a perfect example of one of the problems with sports journalism today. He has absolutely no credentials and no knowledge football, yet many people call him an expert and give value to his opinions. The same thing goes for blowhards like Skip Bayless, Woody Paige, etc.

How often do you hear Kiper actually break a player down in terms of X's and O's or technique? Never, because he knows nothing about football. He instead relies on name dropping and generalities when he talks about players. He'll say something like "Brad Smith played QB for Gary Pinkel at MU. He runs a 4.4 forty and is fast." Basically he provides nothing beyond what the average person knows.

Reaper16
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Mel Kiper is a perfect example of one of the problems with sports journalism today. He has absolutely no credentials and no knowledge football, yet many people call him an expert and give value to his opinions. The same thing goes for blowhards like Skip Bayless, Woody Paige, etc.

How often do you hear Kiper actually break a player down in terms of X's and O's or technique? Never, because he knows nothing about football. He instead relies on name dropping and generalities when he talks about players. He'll say something like "Brad Smith played QB for Gary Pinkel at MU. He runs a 4.4 forty and is fast." Basically he provides nothing beyond what the average person knows.
How often does a advertising-oriented television channel give him time to go into detail? And who considers Paige and Bayless to be experts on anything? They're columnists, and by extension, enertainers.

Michael Shant
01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Well it is funny, because other analysts seem to have time to go into detail on players. Perhaps that is because they played the game and actually know what they are talking about, in contrast to Kiper's short stint at Essex Community College far from a football field.

Chiefnj
01-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Mocks are simply entertainment. The greatest use of mock drafts is to get a general idea of which round a player will likely go.

Other than that, one crazy pick or trade renders an entire mock draft "inaccurate."

htismaqe
01-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Mel Kiper knows nothing about the draft...

Therefore, he must be DAMN lucky.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml