PDA

View Full Version : PTI says that LJ says that Herm says he's the starter

BigRock
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I haven't seen anything around here about an LJ interview, but the "happy trails" on PTI today was to Priest Holmes. They cited an interview or something that LJ apparently did today where he said that Herm told him he'd be the starter.

Then they talked about Priest as a back-up for a few seconds, but the tease before their last commercial was "is Priest Holmes done in KC?" like he might be cut or something.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything about an LJ interview, so I have no idea where this is coming from. But it must be somewhere reliable for PTI to mention it.

JBucc
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
If PTI said that LJ said that Herm said he's the starter it must be true

John Matrix
01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
In the words of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, "Well...no shit?"

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
No points will be awarded to Edwards at this time.

jspchief
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
On PTI this evening, Kornheiser said that Larry Johnson said today that Herm told him he will be the starter. I don't know where or when LJ made these comments, it's just what PTI reported.

I agree that LJ should be the starter, but wonder about LJ going public this early. My guess is Herm wanted to let Johnson know to keep him happy.

I don't know what the plans are for Priest, but I think he probably deserves better than being benched through the media. I have a feeling this is the beginning of an ugly seperation between Holmes and the Chiefs. I think this hurts any leverage Holmes might have if he decides to seek employment elsewhere.

tk13
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
It also gives LJ all the leverage if he wants a new contract...

Rain Man
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
One good thing about changing coaches is that it'll hopefully make for a better relationship between the Chiefs and LJ.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-17-2006, 05:23 PM
According to PTI, LJ says Herm told him he will be the starter

:p

siberian khatru
01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
If I'm Dee Brown, I am PISSED that I don't get to compete for the starting job next training camp.

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Fruit Ninja
01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
It also gives LJ all the leverage if he wants a new contract...ONly if Priest doesnt come back. If Priest retires LJ gets a PHAT pay day.

tk13
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
If I'm Dee Brown, I am PISSED that I don't get to compete for the starting job next training camp.
Yeah, I see an ugly situation on our hands. I'm totally regretting the Herm hire at the moment. Dee has a 5.6 ypc average in the month of November. There's no reason for this.

Ultra Peanut
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
That's almost as surprising as this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1524564999742570044

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
LJ is the franchise. He has all the leverage. Priest is irrelevant.

ChiefFan31
01-17-2006, 05:36 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Fruit Ninja
01-17-2006, 05:38 PM
LJ is the franchise. He has all the leverage. Priest is irrelevant.I dont believe so. This is Carl ****ing Peterson he is dealing with. Carl will let him hold out. Carl dont **** around. you all should know that by now.

chiefsfaninNC
01-17-2006, 05:38 PM
It also gives LJ all the leverage if he wants a new contract...

LJ doesn't get a new contract until next offseason.

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I dont believe so. This is Carl ****ing Peterson he is dealing with. Carl will let him hold out. Carl dont **** around. you all should know that by now.

you don't understand leverage, do you?

LJ has all the cards. We'll pay him or someone else will. And without him we are a 6-10 team.

Mr. Laz
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
larry and herm both just needs to keep their mouths shut

Bob Dole
01-17-2006, 05:43 PM

LJ has all the cards. We'll pay him or someone else will. And without him we are a 6-10 team.

Wouldn't that more accurately be "We'll pay him or else he'll sit until 2010?"

SNR
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Anyone know the exact quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off that's just like the title of this thread?

Paging Dr. 4th and Long.....

FAX
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Denver girls clean their teeth with macrame needles.

FAX

chiefsfaninNC
01-17-2006, 05:45 PM
I still think Priest retires. What LJ or Herm says is irrelevant.

penchief
01-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Chalk this one up to the duh factor. LJ looked like the second coming of OJ. Any football coach in his right mind can see that. Vulcan mind games won't work in this situation. Larry just wants to play ball. He's earned the right to be the man. Tell him he's the man and all is good. Even Priest has to know in his heart that LJ is the man.

Is there a more exciting running back in the NFL than Larry Johnson?

Is there a running back in the NFL that has the combination of speed, power, and open-field elusiveness that LJ has?

Is there a more dominate running back in the NFL than Larry Johnson?

Larry Johnson just may be the best running back this league has seen since Barry Sanders. If I were a new head coach aware of the history between Vermiel and LJ I'd make it a point to let Larry know that he's the man.

Being a genius isn't a prerequisite for being an NFL coach. But then again, you don't have to be a genius to know who your meal ticket is.

tommykat
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
This is going to be a looonnnnngggggggg few months. :rolleyes:ROFL

chiefsfaninNC
01-17-2006, 05:50 PM
This is number three. Any predictions to how many more threads this generates?

Rausch
01-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Do you really think anybody gives a **** about your ghey little "score Herm" bull$#it?...

Reaper16
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
This is number three. Any predictions to how many more threads this generates?
Yes.

Count Alex's Losses
01-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Anyone know the exact quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off that's just like the title of this thread?

Paging Dr. 4th and Long.....

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

FAX
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Denver girls think ATM machines are giant, public calculators.

FAX

Reaper16
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
LJ is one righteous dude.

tk13
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Denver girls think ATM machines are giant, pubic calculators.

FAX
What's a pubic calculator?

FAX
01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
What's a pubic calculator?

A pubic calculator handles the multiplication determination of the regulation masturbation location, Mr. tk13. It also helps decisions by precision long-division on the circumcision incision.

But that's not what Denver girls think ATMs are.

FAX

Fruit Ninja
01-17-2006, 06:35 PM

I understand what yoru saying, but i dont see him holding out becuase Priest Holmes. NOt this year, next offseason yes. I just dont think LJ wants to hold out after the season he just had. Him losing another year of play time is not good for his career. I just dont see that "leverage" you're talking about.

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I understand what yoru saying, but i dont see him holding out becuase Priest Holmes. NOt this year, next offseason yes. I just dont think LJ wants to hold out after the season he just had. Him losing another year of play time is not good for his career. I just dont see that "leverage" you're talking about.

I have no idea if he'll hold out this year...but in the end, he'll get the money...possibly the biggest contract for Chief ever..wouldn't surprise me..he sure as hell is going to squeeze for every nickle as compensation for being a 3rd stringer....

tk13
01-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I have no idea if he'll hold out this year...but in the end, he'll get the money...possibly the biggest contract for Chief ever..wouldn't surprise me..he sure as hell is going to squeeze for every nickle as compensation for being a 3rd stringer....
No doubt, he'll demand a $20 million bonus, easy. I would think. If he plays like he did the last 8-9 games, it could be even more than that.

jspchief
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
At some point LJ will want more money. And he deserves it.

If he wants it this year, he's not going to get it. I don't think the team can handle that kind of contract.

But what if the team doesn't ever want to spend that much on a RB? Seattle didn't want to pay Alexander, and the Colts will likely let James walk this year rather than pay him. It appears that teams believe RBs can be replaced through the draft... even the good ones. Who was the last RB to get a big contract?

Raiderhader
01-17-2006, 07:14 PM

If he wants it this year, he's not going to get it. I don't think the team can handle that kind of contract.

But what if the team doesn't ever want to spend that much on a RB? Seattle didn't want to pay Alexander, and the Colts will likely let James walk this year rather than pay him. It appears that teams believe RBs can be replaced through the draft... even the good ones. Who was the last RB to get a big contract?

Unless he asks to make more money than God, CP will pay LJ.

tk13
01-17-2006, 07:19 PM

I think Portis. He got a $17 million signing bonus.

tk13
01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Unless he asks to make more money than God, CP will pay LJ.
That depends. They need to get a new collective bargaining agreement first. Otherwise, after this year, there will be no salary cap, and we could see some astronomical contracts.

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 07:23 PM

yeah, but the Hags and Colts got the best 4-5 years out of their RBs...we can't let LJ go, his next 3-5 years could be insane...he will singly handedly make it easier to break in a new QB...basically we have to pay the man, and I'm pretty sure we will..

Logical
01-17-2006, 07:37 PM
It also gives LJ all the leverage if he wants a new contract...Well if anyone believes LJ. I think I would be less doubtful had this story came from a coach or Herm himself.

Logical
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM

You do know that LJ is not a free agent for a couple of more seasons and then there is the franchise tag. Why don't you ask Shaun Alexander just how much leverage he had?

Raiderhader
01-17-2006, 07:42 PM
That depends. They need to get a new collective bargaining agreement first. Otherwise, after this year, there will be no salary cap, and we could see some astronomical contracts.

Naturally, a lack of a salarly cap would completely change the dynamics of this discussion.

sedated
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Priest is done, LJ will get paid.

There is a strong correlation between the two.

I'd just like to see LJ be The Man for one whole year before we make him the franchise.

Maybe a big payday will knock that chip off his shoulder

Logical
01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Naturally, a lack of a salarly cap would completely change the dynamics of this discussion.All I know is that if the salary cap goes away the Chiefs will be bigger dogshit than the Royals. The Chiefs are not anywhere close to being sufficient at talent evaluation to build through developing young players only. :shake:

So I will not contemplate that disaster until it occurs.

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
You do know that LJ is not a free agent for a couple of more seasons and then there is the franchise tag. Why don't you ask Shaun Alexander just how much leverage he had?

yeah...the point is that he will get paid...next year for sure regardless of his contract...and his contract will be gigantic

Bob Dole
01-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Which was Bob Dole's earlier point.

Does LJ have anything other than the threat to sit out before 2010?

thurman merman
01-17-2006, 07:54 PM
In the words of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, "Well...no shit?"

that is kind of what i was thinking.

Logical
01-17-2006, 07:57 PM
yeah...the point is that he will get paid...next year for sure regardless of his contract...and his contract will be giganticHis contract is not up next year as the Senator properly points out. He might get a placating sum in exchange for years added to his contract, but I don't see Carl just giving in. I also don't see LJ sitting a year, that has killed many players careers, they come back and found they have lost the edge.

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Does LJ have anything other than the threat to sit out before 2010?

that and our backup RB is Tod Collins...oh, and CP's ego which depends on LJ's continued success...

the Talking Can
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
His contract is not up next year as the Senator properly points out. He might get a placating sum in exchange for years added to his contract, but I don't see Carl just giving in. I also don't see LJ sitting a year, that has killed many players careers, they come back and found they have lost the edge.

yeah, I know his contract status...my point is that next year he will get paid, regardless...we'll just have to archive this thread for a year and see what happens...

Fruit Ninja
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
This is going to be a looonnnnngggggggg few months. :rolleyes:ROFL
its more then a few months something like 8 :(

jspchief
01-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Does LJ have anything other than the threat to sit out before 2010?Sitting out is LJ's only option. But it's a viable one in some ways.

If he has another year like this year, he's justified in wanting more money. Carl taking a hard line will be bad for PR. Fans are more likely to side with an underpaid pro-bowler than a hardline GM.

Plus, LJ could be just enough of a blockhead to really sit out. And while it's easy for us fans to sit here and say "he'll play out his contract or he won't play for anyone", we'll be the ones losing out if he chooses to sit.

beer bacon
01-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't see where all this talk about Carl stiffing LJ is coming from. Say what you want about Carl, but he usually pays his guys.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I don't see where all this talk about Carl stiffing LJ is coming from. Say what you want about Carl, but he usually pays his guys.Oh I agree. Carl has always been good about paying those guys that earn it.

But it will depend on when LJ wants his raise, and the team's cap situation. With the end of the CBA approaching, contracts are going to be hard to get worked out the next few years.

BIG K
01-18-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't see where all this talk about Carl stiffing LJ is coming from. Say what you want about Carl, but he usually pays his guys.

I haven't read anything about LJ wanting more money or Carl refusing to pay him....It seems to be a non-issue at this point. The only concern that I have, getting back to the original thread, is IF LJ is the starter for next year. The interview I saw a few days ago with Gonzo on ESPN kind of concerned me. They asked Gonzo who he would want to be the RB next year. He said basically that they all loved Priest but, LJ was the man. He THEN said that he hopes LJ wins the starting job...I can't believe after LJ's performance this year that there would be any question whatsover.

I am hoping Gonzo's comment was a result of being on the "Hot Seat" and not a result of something that has been discussed at Arrowhead..

Lot's of love to ya Priest but, it's time to take a supportive role.

savedin79
01-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Makes since to me.

Johnson&Johnson
01-18-2006, 02:24 AM
ROFL

no kidding

tk13
01-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Oh I agree. Carl has always been good about paying those guys that earn it.

But it will depend on when LJ wants his raise, and the team's cap situation. With the end of the CBA approaching, contracts are going to be hard to get worked out the next few years.
Personally, I think they'll find some way to extend the CBA... but still, you think if you were a player like LJ, you'd wait one more year just in case. And if we happen to actually have an uncapped year, then you strike and try to get more money.