PDA

View Full Version : Matsko interviews for Chiefs offensive line coach...

shaneo69
01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
"John Matsko, who has spent the last seven seasons coaching the offensive line in St. Louis, has interviewed with Kansas City for the same position."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/B70A0751412891DE862570FA0020792C?OpenDocument

:hmmm:

Brock
01-18-2006, 09:38 AM
His resume includes Trent Green's knee, Kurt Warner's skull, and Marc Bulger's shoulder. Wonderful!

Frankie
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
NOOOOOOO! SOLARI PLEASE!!! GIVE HIM A RAISE OR PROMOTE HIM.

John Matrix
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
His resume includes Trent Green's knee, Kurt Warner's skull, and Marc Bulger's shoulder. Wonderful!
:banghead: ROFL

tomahawk kid
01-18-2006, 09:40 AM
WTF?

Wonder if this means Solari is the new OC and Al is stirring the "Autumn Wind"........

jspchief
01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
His resume includes Trent Green's knee, Kurt Warner's skull, and Marc Bulger's shoulder. Wonderful!That was my first thought as well. They've had terrible pass protection for years.

Has Solari's name come up for many OC jobs? We need to get serious about locking him up.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 09:50 AM
WTF?

Wonder if this means Solari is the new OC and Al is stirring the "Autumn Wind"........Probably not. It means Carl is probably sit and watch Solari go to a rival team ang give them the awesome O-line while we sit in disgust and wonder about what could have been.
:banghead:

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
NOOOOOOO! SOLARI PLEASE!!! GIVE HIM A RAISE OR PROMOTE HIM.

There is zero chance we keep Solari as a line coach.

He'll either be our OC, or he'll be gone.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Probably not. It means Carl is probably sit and watch Solari go to a rival team ang give them the awesome O-line while we sit in disgust and wonder about what could have been.
:banghead:

The only way Solari is gonna go to a rival team and "give them" an awesome O-line is if he takes Roaf, Shields, Wiegmann, and Waters with him.

Let's cut the bullshit.

Solari is a good coach, maybe even great coach.

But this is possibly the most talented offensive line EVER.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 09:55 AM
There is zero chance we keep Solari as a line coach.

He'll either be our OC, or he'll be gone.
Agreed. But to keep him as a line coach Carl will have to throw big money and an extra title at him. Carl will never do the former.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Agreed. But to keep him as a line coach Carl will have to throw big money and an extra title at him. Carl will never do the former.

We're not gonna keep him as a line coach, no way, no how. He's being considered for HEAD coaching jobs.

If we don't give him a legitimate increase in responsibility, he's gonna go, regardless of named title and money.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Agreed. But to keep him as a line coach Carl will have to throw big money and an extra title at him. Carl will never do the former.What do you base that on? Carl paid Saunders very well. KC had the highest coaching payroll in the league the last few years.

Where do you get the opinion that Peterson is cheap with his coaches?

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:04 AM
What do you base that on? Carl paid Saunders very well. KC had the highest coaching payroll in the league the last few years.

Where do you get the opinion that Peterson is cheap with his coaches?
I just think the DV era was different. Carl had some respect for his mentor. Now Carl is probably has a crony as HC.

Adept Havelock
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I just think the DV era was different. Carl had some respect for his mentor. Now Carl is probably has a crony as HC.

What exactly exempts Vermiel from "Crony of Carl" status? :hmmm:

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
What exactly exempts Vermiel from "Crony of Carl" status? :hmmm:

I'm pretty sure he's implying that Carl was Vermeil's crony, rather than the other way around.

shaneo69
01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
We're not gonna keep him as a line coach, no way, no how. He's being considered for HEAD coaching jobs.

BS. Solari's not being considered for any head coaching jobs.

donkhater
01-18-2006, 10:24 AM
The only way Solari is gonna go to a rival team and "give them" an awesome O-line is if he takes Roaf, Shields, Wiegmann, and Waters with him.

Let's cut the bullshit.

That's what I was thinking as well. I seem to recall the offensive line not working too well when Roaf was on the sidelines and Black was the starter. Where was Solari then?

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
BS. Solari's not being considered for any head coaching jobs.

His name has been linked to the Raiders HC job.

Whether or not he's actually being considered is immaterial. He's not gonna come back here to do the same job he's been doing. He's DUE a promotion.

penchief
01-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Let's cut the bullshit.

That's true but......

-Roaf may be playing all-around better than he's ever played.

-Solari took a former unsigned free agent tight end (Waters) and turned him into the best guard in football.

-He took an undersized center (Wiegmann) discarded by the Bears and turned him into the leader of the best line in football.

-He let Shields just be Will Shields.

-He took a right guard (Welbourn) and turned him into a very effective right tackle.

-He transformed a left tackle (Tait) into one of the best right tackles in the game.

While it's true that he's had a lot of talent to work with I also believe he's maximized that talent about as well as anyone could.

Considering his experiencing coaching tight ends in Walsh's west coast offense (i.e. Brett Jones), I believe that he just might make a damn fine offensive coordinator. He's excelled at every coaching job he's had so it would be reasonable to project that same level of success as OC.

Let's do it, Carl!

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
That's true but......

-Roaf may be playing all-around better than he's ever played.

-Solari took a former unsigned free agent tight end (Waters) and turned him into the best guard in football.

-He took an undersized center (Wiegmann) discarded by the Bears and turned him into the leader of the best line in football.

-He let Shields just be Will Shields.

-He took a right guard (Welbourn) and turned him into a very effective right tackle.

-He transformed a left tackle (Tait) into one of the best right tackles in the game.

While it's true that he's had a lot of talent to work with I also believe he's maximized that talent about as well as anyone could.

Considering his experiencing coaching tight ends in Walsh's west coast offense (i.e. Brett Jones), I believe that he just might make a damn fine offensive coordinator. He's excelled at every coaching job he's had so it would be reasonable to project that same level of success as OC.

Let's do it, Carl!

Disagree on Roaf, he's always played at this level. He's just never had this type of fellow linemen...

Agree on Waters.

Wiegmann was a very good center in Chicago. He just wasn't as good as Olin Kreutz. He's probably still not.

I absolutely disagree on Welbourn, but we probably won't ever agree on this.

And I also disagree on Tait.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I really don't think the Rams O-Line has been all that good. I'd rather hire Grunhard to coach the O-Line than get a guy with a resume like Brock listed.

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I hope that's all it is..........

Tired of suck-a-roni .

Frankie
01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I really don't think the Rams O-Line has been all that good. I'd rather hire Grunhard to coach the O-Line than get a guy with a resume like Brock listed.
Yep. Or Shields.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Yep. Or Shields.

Yep.

I still think Shields would make a very good coach.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd love to have Art Shell back...

tomahawk kid
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd love to have Art Shell back...

Holler.

shaneo69
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Jets O-line coach under Herm was Doug Marrone...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/coaches/index.php?coaches_id=17#17

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Jets O-line coach under Herm was Doug Marrone...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/coaches/index.php?coaches_id=17#17

Marrone's name has been bouncing around in the rumor mill as well...

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2006, 01:09 PM
All I have to say is KC better not allow Solari to leave, and if he does I can see a very subpar performance in terms of blocking, and developing talent for years to come. :cuss:

J Diddy
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
All I have to say is KC better not allow Solari to leave, and if he does I can see a very subpar performance in terms of blocking, and developing talent for years to come. :cuss:

Agreed plus I think he's earned the right to be an O coordinator.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2006, 01:13 PM

Come on now. Solari isn't the only one in the world that can develop talent.

You're right. I can see Waters, Weiggman and Roaf just turning to subpar because Solari isn't here.

J Diddy
01-18-2006, 01:15 PM

You're right. I can see Waters, Weiggman and Roaf just turning to subpar because Solari isn't here.

why take this chance if we don't have to

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Agreed plus I think he's earned the right to be an O coordinator.

That's the reason he should be kept by KC. Not because the offense will mysteriously collapse without him.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2006, 01:16 PM

If Solari wasn't here, we've would've never heard of Brian Waters, and keeps on taking raw athletes and harnesses their talents concerning his blocking schemes. Great coaches don't grow on trees

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Bring in Mike Tice to be line coach. He was pretty good at that.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 02:38 PM

You're right. I can see Waters, Weiggman and Roaf just turning to subpar because Solari isn't here.This is a pretty shortsighted post.

1- Solari isn't the only one in the world that can develop talent. But he is one of the best, if not the best. We already have him (until the end of the month). It would be utterly stupid not to go after our own proven coaching talent?

2- Waters, Weiggeman and Roaf huh? How about the other 2/5 of the line? How about developing replacements for Waters, Weiggeman and Roaf while they are still here? By your reasoning we don't even need an O-line coach.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 02:49 PM
This is a pretty shortsighted post.

1- Solari isn't the only one in the world that can develop talent. But he is one of the best, if not the best. We already have him (until the end of the month). It would be utterly stupid not to go after our own proven coaching talent?

2- Waters, Weiggeman and Roaf huh? How about the other 2/5 of the line? How about developing replacements for Waters, Weiggeman and Roaf while they are still here? By your reasoning we don't even need an O-line coach.

The only player on this o-line that has LEGITIMATELY improved under Solari's tenure is Waters. He hasn't made pro-bowlers out of anybody that wasn't before he (or they) got here. The other 2/5 of the line, right now, are Welbourn and Shields, both of whom were WELL established prior to working for Solari.

Is Solari a great coach? Absolutely. One of the best? It's easy to be the best when you've got those guys to work with.

Kinda like the difference between Gunther with Derrick Thomas and the Gunther without.

penchief
01-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Disagree on Roaf, he's always played at this level. He's just never had this type of fellow linemen...

Agree on Waters.

Wiegmann was a very good center in Chicago. He just wasn't as good as Olin Kreutz. He's probably still not.

I absolutely disagree on Welbourn, but we probably won't ever agree on this.

And I also disagree on Tait.

With all that disagreein' it's a wonder the Oline is any good.

-You could be right about Roaf but he has experienced a resurgence in KC.

-I agree that Wiegmann was already a good center.

-Disagree on Welbourn. Does a fine job at RT but will be even better when he's moved back to his orginal position.

-Disagree on Tait. I thought Tait had quickly turned into one of the Better RT.

If you're correct in your opinions then that does more to validate the job Solari has done, I think.....

.....now I'm confused.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 03:23 PM
With all that disagreein' it's a wonder the Oline is any good.

-You could be right about Roaf but he has experienced a resurgence in KC.

-I agree that Wiegmann was already a good center.

-Disagree on Welbourn. Does a fine job at RT but will be even better when he's moved back to his orginal position.

-Disagree on Tait. I thought Tait had quickly turned into one of the Better RT.

If you're correct in your opinions then that does more to validate the job Solari has done, I think.....

.....now I'm confused.

To me, it boils down to this:

The only player that has improved enough that you even notice under Solari is Waters.

All of the rest of them are basically exactly what they were before he (or they) arrived.

They just look better because the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Coogs
01-18-2006, 03:28 PM

The only player that has improved enough that you even notice under Solari is Waters.

All of the rest of them are basically exactly what they were before he (or they) arrived.

Uh-oh! I had a thread awhile back that stated the same. Man.... did I ever get flamed on that one! Better put on your fire gear htismaqe. :)

penchief
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Oh, I don't know.....Wiegmann is better than when he arrived, Tait went from a rookie left tackle to a top right tackle, Welbourn learned to play a new position very effectively, and Roaf has earned a new level of respect in KC.

I'll take the middle ground between the two of us. Maybe he doesn't deserve as much credit as I might give him and maybe he deserves a little more than you are willing to give him.

Overall, I think we both agree that he's done a very good job.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh, I don't know.....Wiegmann is better than when he arrived, Tait went from a rookie left tackle to a top right tackle, Welbourn learned to play a new position very effectively, and Roaf has earned a new level of respect in KC.

I'll take the middle ground between the two of us. Maybe he doesn't deserve as much credit as I might give him and maybe he deserves a little more than you are willing to give him.

Overall, I think we both agree that he's done a very good job.

Did you walk Wiegmann play in Chicago? He was VERY good there, but they had Kreutz and he's even better. Wiegmann has improved marginally, which might or might not be Solari.

Tait went from a rookie left tackle to a mediocre right tackle. His rush blocking was pretty good, but his pass blocking was still suspect, even on the right side. Again, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Welbourn just isn't that good at tackle. You obviously consider him a success for Solari. I don't.

And finally, Roaf has learned a new level of respect because he plays on a complete line that doesn't play in New Orleans, not necessarily because he's playing better than when he went to all those pro bowls before coming to KC.

Ari Chi3fs
01-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Why didnt they keep Irv Eatman as Asst OLine, and promote him. There would be continuity here... and future success.

Brock
01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Why didnt they keep Irv Eatman as Asst OLine, and promote him. There would be continuity here... and future success.

Apparently, he was about as good as a coach as he was as a player.