PDA

View Full Version : From KC Star BB : Did you guys see Cunningham's interview ?

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
On channel 9 he was basically admitting how he was pretty dormant from the media for the last 2 years. In not so many words he says he wasn't speaking because he didn't have the coaches he wanted on defense and he knew it would affect their overall play(they SUCKED).

And quite frankly, the way he ripped the LB coach on the all out run stop in the Dallas game and the way the defense in general played was not Cunningham's style.

I think all his coaches were DV guys and Cunningham wasn't able to run the D the way he wanted.

He's very excited about Herman Edwards and knows that Edwards will get the defense priorities straightened out. Through personel, coaching, and competition. He said there would be roster moves and people will be held accoutable. I think the Edwards hire puts us in the top 20 in D next year. I thought Surtain, Knight, and Hall would do that alone but I guess coaching and scheme's have a LOT to do with it too. I wonder if Gun will be able to go out and get a guy like Abraham wo sounds like he wants to follow Herm anyway? Of course getting a guy like Abraham makes the Carlos Hall signing look pretty worthless. I did see some GREAT flashes from Hall but he was injured or MIA for most of the season.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
The LB coach that he ripped was Pagac.

GUNTHER hired Pagac.

Not surprising to see the ultimate "I" man when he was HC throw his coaches under the bus.

And of course Gun is excited about Herm. He allowed him to keep his job despite poor job performance.

nascher
01-18-2006, 02:29 PM
C.Hall is an UFA.

Warrior5
01-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Yep, I saw the interview. Pretty good...it was the most coherent interview I've ever seen Gun do.

Of course getting a guy like Abraham makes the Carlos Hall signing look pretty worthless. I did see some GREAT flashes from Hall but he was injured or MIA for most of the season.

Hall was only signed to a 1-year contract...he's now a UFA, so he should have no bearing on acquiring a good DE.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 02:34 PM

I think the Edwards hire puts us in the top 20 in D next year.

Cheese and Rice!!!! have we sunk so low in Chiefsland to think that the top 20 is going to cut it?

Top 10 is where its at. Top 5 and id hug a hippy. #1 and id give my heart to Jesus.

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 02:34 PM

GUNTHER hired Pagac.

Not surprising to see the ultimate "I" man when he was HC throw his coaches under the bus.

And of course Gun is excited about Herm. He allowed him to keep his job despite poor job performance.

At least we won't have the assistant coach excuse anymore or the DV excuse. I guess there still is "it's the players, stupid" excuse.

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:35 PM
for future reference i didnt write this, i just found it on the star bb board copied and pasted

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Stop posting stuff from the Star board.

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:37 PM
here's another part 2 (from a different person) :

I briefly saw the interview and what I heard was Cunningham getting stuff off his chest. Reading between the lines, it sounded like Gun and DV may not have had the best working relationship and Gun basically said he was forced to stay away from the media. The part I really liked to hear is when Gun said they are taking a hard look at the defensive roster and they have to make changes. It sounded like they are looking to add much more than one pass rusher, or one DT, or one CB, etc. Gun sounded like he wanted multiple changes.

Can you say pass rusher, Law, and maybe another OLB or S?

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm going to bet Eric Hicks job is safe.

Gunther rules!

Bob Dole
01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Stop posting stuff from the Star board.

...says the King of posting crap from www.warpiantillustrated.com

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 02:39 PM
...says the King of posting crap from www.warpiantillustrated.com

I post ONE THING and now I'm the King?

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 02:39 PM
See, for me, there's just no way that Gunther comes out of this smelling like roses.

I mean, even if it's all true and he was truly hamstrung by Vermeil and his assistants...

What kind of MAN puts his tail between his legs and comes back here, KNOWING he's gonna fail?

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm going to bet Eric Hicks job is safe.

Gunther rules!

Hicks is not that bad of a player as some of you think. He's solid, but not great.

Baby Lee

GUNTHER hired Pagac.

htis, he's Gun's personal jAZ!!! :thumb:

DaWolf
Nice that Gun is holding himself accountable. :rolleyes: Frankly it reminds me why I was glad he was fired after 2 long years at the helm of this franchise.

Last year he said it was the players. This year he says it was the coaches. Whatever Gun. You've got another year here at least, so there are no more excuses. You will now have your players AND your coaches, you better give us a top 10 D. I am not talking middle of the road D, I am talking top 10. 3 years is plenty of time to turn a D around. Plenty of other teams have done it. No excuses anymore...

FringeNC
here's another part 2 (from a different person) :

I briefly saw the interview and what I heard was Cunningham getting stuff off his chest. Reading between the lines, it sounded like Gun and DV may not have had the best working relationship and Gun basically said he was forced to stay away from the media. The part I really liked to hear is when Gun said they are taking a hard look at the defensive roster and they have to make changes. It sounded like they are looking to add much more than one pass rusher, or one DT, or one CB, etc. Gun sounded like he wanted multiple changes.

Can you say pass rusher, Law, and maybe another OLB or S?

I find it ironic that Gun is criticizing DV.

Short Leash Hootie
ok gunther...

here's your last chance.

I was sold, you were brought here...I thought insta-fix on our defense two years ago. No better, if not a little worse...

Ok, so it's the players...not your scheme.

This year, new players, defense, AT TIMES, a little better but still costed us when we needed them most (@ DAL @ NYG)...

Now it's the coaches...

This is your last chance from me buddy. I like you, I do. But enough excuses...

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
See, for me, there's just no way that Gunther comes out of this smelling like roses.

I mean, even if it's all true and he was truly hamstrung by Vermeil and his assistants...

What kind of MAN puts his tail between his legs and comes back here, KNOWING he's gonna fail?

I would have to imagine cause he loves i here in KC, and knew that once DV retired he could get what he wanted and get the job done.

Your askin the wrong person, if you want that answer to go to arrowhead and ask gunther yourself.

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 02:45 PM
The sad thing is, when Gunther fails AGAIN next year, there will be even more excuses made.

HIChief
The Chief's defense may not have been "great" this year, but they did improve far more than people are giving them credit for. Check out the article on the Official Chiefs Website for an in-depth analysis.

Bob Dole

A foot-shuffling porter?

morphius

GUNTHER hired Pagac.

I had always heard that DV had hired Pagac, they both just started here the same year.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah i gotta think gunther took the job because he knew it was his only shot at getting another DC job.

royr17
01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
The sad thing is, when Gunther fails AGAIN next year, there will be even more excuses made.

No if gunther fails again next year then he dont deserve a 2nd chance, i just dont give up real easy like alot of yall do, but if he fails again then he's finished and needs to be moved to linebackers coach.

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 02:47 PM

I have a feeling Gunther was given much more autonomy than most DCs...

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 02:47 PM
htis, he's Gun's personal jAZ!!! :thumb:

It took me EIGHT YEARS to post what I posted earlier today:

Talking Can and Baby Lee took the words right out of my mouth.

As much as I decry the mediocrity of Marty, even I can admit that what we are now isn't nearly as good as that.

What do you want from me? BLOOD? :D

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
The Chief's defense may not have been "great" this year, but they did improve far more than people are giving them credit for. Check out the article on the Official Chiefs Website for an in-depth analysis.

You do realize that the Chiefs official website isn't the best place for objective analysis, especially in the eyes of most here, right?

Rukdafaidas
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
The biggest knock on Gun by most on this board has been Gun playing the DB's off the line later in the year.
This move has puzzled me for months. Gun has NEVER been a fan of playing CB's off the line, even with guys that had no business playing bump and run. I have to believe someone else was calling some shots, because I can't see him doing this. Especially with Warfield and Surtain who are better suited on the line.

dirk digler
01-18-2006, 03:06 PM
The biggest knock on Gun by most on this board has been Gun playing the DB's off the line later in the year.
This move has puzzled me for months. Gun has NEVER been a fan of playing CB's off the line, even with guys that had no business playing bump and run. I have to believe someone else was calling some shots, because I can't see him doing this. Especially with Warfield and Surtain who are better suited on the line.

IIRC, when Gun was HC didn't the CB's play off as well? I could be wrong.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Again, I come back to my other post.

What kind of self-respecting professional takes the fall for something they have no control over?

If someone else was calling the shots, he should have resigned immediately. That's the only way he absolves himself of blame.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Yep. The infamous Kurt Schottenheimer soft zone.

dirk digler
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks that is what I thought. So my thinking is Gun can't blame anyone for the way the CB's lined up and played. This is his scheme and has been his scheme for 5-6 yrs.

philfree
01-18-2006, 03:22 PM

He could of had the Jets DV job the same year he came back here so he had a choice. Maybe the reason he came back was because he loves the Chiefs, KC and the fans that come with both. Maybe he wants to help bring respect back to the Chies D and help the Chiefs win a Championship for KC and the fans. I think he's said as much in the past.

PhilFree:arrow:

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 03:24 PM
He could of had the Jets DV job the same year he came back here so he had a choice. Maybe the reason he came back was because he loves the Chiefs, KC and the fans that come with both. Maybe he wants to help bring respect back to the Chies D and help the Chiefs win a Championship for KC and the fans. I think he's said as much in the past.

Can you be anymore of a blind homer?

philfree
01-18-2006, 03:30 PM

Can you be any more of a hater? IMO I'd be more blind if I followed along with the 'PPL'. That of course would be a different kind of homer but a homer none the less. I was really just adding a possiblity to the conversation that hadn't been brought up. Also I never said that Gun was beyond reproach but he really didn't have to be here. Of course getting a cool $mil might have helped make up his mind.

siberian khatru
01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
So now that Gun's manhood has been retrieved from the blind trust it's been held in the last 2 years, we can expect great things from him in 2006?

Rausch
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Why else would he come back?

He likes KC and he got paid.

How is that saying he's a homer?

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Can you be any more of a hater? IMO I'd be more blind if I followed along with the 'PPL'. That of course would be a different kind of homer but a homer none the less. I was really just adding a possiblity to the conversation that hadn't been brought up. Also I never said that Gun was beyond reproach but he really didn't have to be here. Of course getting a cool $mil might have helped make up his mind.

He didnt have a choice dude. No matter what they say Gunther if not for Peterson wanting to control and hold sway the D staff would have never gotten the job.
The fact that he came back after the way he was treated w/ the stipulation that he had no control over assistants speaks volumes to the fact gunther was on NOONES radar for anything other than a position coach.

and when he leaves he will in all likelyhood be placed into the same postion job.

Facts are facts.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
So now that Gun's manhood has been retrieved from the blind trust it's been held in the last 2 years, we can expect great things from him in 2006?

It means he doesn't get another mulligan.

Get it done, or else...

the Talking Can
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
What kind of self-respecting professional takes the fall for something they have no control over?

If someone else was calling the shots, he should have resigned immediately. That's the only way he absolves himself of blame.

yup...I'm not sure why people are excited that Gun is throwing his coaches under the bus...Peyton looked like a bitch doing it to his OL, and Gunther looks like a.....?

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM

That is a point that is usually neglected when talking about Gun. I think it is clear that Al Saunders won't run a West Coast offense in Oakland. The high-powered Coryell offense is Saunder's claim to fame in the coaching ranks. I wonder sometimes whether Gun has a defensive scheme or whether he just throws shit on the wall, and hopes something sticks.

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 03:48 PM
wonder sometimes whether Gun has a defensive scheme or whether he just throws shit on the wall, and hopes something sticks.

The truth is closer to the latter than the former.

milkman
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM

I've said this before.

The Chiefs began their defensive decline with Gunt as HC.
You could even look at '98, when he was still DC as the year this defense began it's decline.

Gunt was/is responsible for the shambles this defense is in, and he hasn't done anything to fix it.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM
That is a point that is usually neglected when talking about Gun. I think it is clear that Al Saunders won't run a West Coast offense in Oakland. The high-powered Coryell offense is Saunder's claim to fame in the coaching ranks. I wonder sometimes whether Gun has a defensive scheme or whether he just throws shit on the wall, and hopes something sticks.

im not so worried about Gunther having his scheme down as i am about the other coaches making sure the players have the scheme down.

everygame-everyplay-no exceptions.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Alright, so he didn't have his coaches to coach his scheme.

I can believe all that.

What I can't believe is that he needs MORE tools. Last year, it was like he was Paris Hilton with all the toys he had.

This year, he needs more??? How many more superstars does this guy think we can acquire to make his soft scheme work?

I'm willing to give the guy another chance, but good lord. Take a look at the roster and remove your lovechildren such as Hicks, Kendrell Bell, and Greg Wesley.

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 03:52 PM
im not so worried about Gunther having his scheme down as i am about the other coaches making sure the players have the scheme down.

everygame-everyplay-no exceptions.

It's tough for the players if there is no scheme, if Gunther changes stuff around constantly.

sedated
01-18-2006, 03:52 PM
If I wanted to know what was being said at the Star's BB, I'd be at the Star's BB

Extra Point
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Top 10 is where its at. Top 5 and id hug a hippy. #1 and id give my heart to Jesus.

Jesus is one hippie that looks good in a Chiefs jersey. Great interview. Thread opener pegged it. Gunther, for that matter, would look great with long hair, a beard, and no glasses. I'm so glad that DV is gone! Maybe Herm will do it well here.

Drive on!

Remember, play fair. Aw, Hell, just play to win!

Matt Helm
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow!! I didn't realize that anyone still went to their board!

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 03:58 PM
It's tough for the players if there is no scheme, if Gunther changes stuff around constantly.

you get into the WHYS of gunthers 'scheme change' and you get into a big ol bag of poo.

It makes me still think KC would be better off w/ a new start on the D staff top to bottom.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
This year, he needs more??? How many more superstars does this guy think we can acquire to make his soft scheme work?

I'm willing to give the guy another chance, but good lord. Take a look at the roster and remove your lovechildren such as Hicks, Kendrell Bell, and Greg Wesley.

I don't see any superstars outside of possibly Surtain.

DJ and Allen COULD become star players, but that's it.

This defense definitely needs a star player, Gun or no Gun...

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't see any superstars outside of possibly Surtain.

DJ and Allen COULD become star players, but that's it.

This defense definitely needs a star player, Gun or no Gun...

Kendrell Bell was a star before coming here. I still feel a large part of his failure was how he was being used.

Douche Baggins
01-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Kendrell Bell was a star before coming here. I still feel a large part of his failure was how he was being used.

At least he went the entire year without getting hurt.

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
At least he went the entire year without getting hurt.
ROFL ROFL gotaint. I think we have a moniker with legs.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 04:34 PM

So do I.

I figured we'd shift to more 3-4 or move Bell to MLB.

We didn't. Kawika really stepped up but Bell vanished.

Bell's strenght is his strength, not his speed. He'd blitz up the middle in Pitt and push lineman aside. He'd blow up the FB.

Here he's being asked to edge rush, not something he's all that accustomed to...

Fruit Ninja
01-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Only thing i think this D needs is Dlineman, Someone that can put a damn rush on the QB. Allen flashed at times, but alot of times he was just very non existant for games at a time.

I like our linebackers and our Secondary the way it is. I dont think Gun is really blaming anyone. They asked him questions he answered. I dont think he was throwing anyone under the bus. I am sure he will take some responisibilty as well. ITs a total team efforct coaches, and players.

Chiefnj
01-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow. Gunther learned quickly from Herm how to shift blame and fault.

DV admitted he leaves the D to the D coordinator. Vermeil doesn't call the defensive plays or alignments, Gunther does.

Gunther was as happy as a pig in shit this offseason when he got all of the players on his wishlist. Now, all of a sudden, he was somehow prevented from playing guys the way he wanted. Gunther was forced to listen and follow his assistants wishes? Ignoring the fact that 4 of the 6 coordinators were either coaches under Gunther at a prior point in time, or hired after Gun became DC under Vermeil, what a complete load of crap. Once a foot shuffling porter, always a porter.

Get your shine box Gun, Peterson stepped in some mud today.

Mr. Laz
01-18-2006, 05:14 PM
so now the reason we sucked is because gunther didn't have HIS coaches.

but i thought he said he wanted these coaches ... could win with these coaches when he came back?

he doesn't have players ... yet elected to keep those players.

he doesn't have the coaches ... yet came back with those coaches.

when is he gonna step up and take responsibility for his job?

CHENZ A!
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Hicks is not that bad of a player as some of you think. He's solid, but not great.

I am usually very easy on Chiefs players, because i want so bad for them to succeed, but that said, Hicks has worn out his welcome for me, and he probably should have been gone 3 yrs ago. This guy has made a living off of one season where he got like 14 sacks, but also missed 2 or 3 games. I wonder if he even has 14 sacks since then.

Fruit Ninja
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
so now the reason we sucked is because gunther didn't have HIS coaches.

but i thought he said he wanted these coaches ... could win with these coaches when he came back?

he doesn't have players ... yet elected to keep those players.

he doesn't have the coaches ... yet came back with those coaches.

when is he gonna step up and take responsibility for his job?
First off, i dont even know if anyone seen the interview. I just know people "seen a post" on the star board. I highly doubt Guntharr wouldnt accept responsibility.

philfree
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
He didnt have a choice dude. No matter what they say Gunther if not for Peterson wanting to control and hold sway the D staff would have never gotten the job.
The fact that he came back after the way he was treated w/ the stipulation that he had no control over assistants speaks volumes to the fact gunther was on NOONES radar for anything other than a position coach.

and when he leaves he will in all likelyhood be placed into the same postion job.

Facts are facts.

According to what I've read and vaguely remember Gun was up for the Jets job as DC as well as the Chiefs. He chose the Chiefs. So as far as facts being facts I assume Gun being on noones radar is something more then just your opinion. And really the fact that he came back after losing the HC job points to Gun wanting to be in KC more then anything else. You know I don't believe Gun is the end all of DCs but I do believe that if you keep changing horese you'll never reach your destination. That's why I'm still on board with Gun as DC going into 2006. If that makes me a homer then I'm glad to be one and I'll wear that lable with pride.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I don't really care who he blames.

I'm just glad that he's talking like there are going to be changes. At least he's not trying to tell us we're moving in the right direction and just need to get better at it.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2006, 06:55 PM
I like to believe Gunther, but unfortunately he's FOS. I share the same opinions about the disdain of his rehiring like others. Here's to more players playing out of position, and being underutilized.