PDA

View Full Version : Guinta hired as NYG secondary coach..

The Bad Guy
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Praise the lord.

He turned an all-pro in Surtain into an average corner. Can't wait to see how bad he ruins average talent.

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Praise the lord.

He turned an all-pro in Surtain into an average corner. Can't wait to see how bad he ruins average talent.

Didn't Guinta have quite a bit of success with Philly as secondary coach? I might be mistaken...

I question whether this guy can really be the sole reason for our bad D....it certainly didn't take him long to get another job.

sedated
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
hahahaha.

good luck with the soft zone, NY

The Bad Guy
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Didn't Guinta have quite a bit of success with Philly as secondary coach? I might be mistaken...

I question whether this guy can really be the sole reason for our bad D....it certainly didn't take him long to get another job.

I don't think so. He coached the Rams as an assistant DC during their SB run and then was fired from the job when 100-year old Bud Carson was brought in mid-year.

I think he came here in 2001 with Vermeil.

tk13
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
He actually was a pretty successful secondary coach before he got here. He sucked as a DC, but he had some pretty good secondaries. He was secondary coach on those early 90's Eagles teams that had Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters, etc... those were some badass defenses. He also had good secondaries in St. Louis. Keith Lyle, Todd Lyght, etc. Didn't do so well with all our safety/corner projects though. Although Warfield did improve... that's about it.

milkman
01-18-2006, 04:04 PM
He actually was a pretty successful secondary coach before he got here. He sucked as a DC, but he had some pretty good secondaries. He was secondary coach on those early 90's Eagles teams that had Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters, etc... those were some badass defenses. He also had good secondaries in St. Louis. Keith Lyle, Todd Lyght, etc. Didn't do so well with all our safety/corner projects though. Although Warfield did improve... that's about it.

Did Warfield improve, or did his play benefit from a change of DC?

I don't like Gunt, never will, but some players are better suited to play in Gunt's D, and I think Warfield is one of them.

tk13
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Did Warfield improve, or did his play benefit from a change of DC?

I don't like Gunt, never will, but some players are better suited to play in Gunt's D, and I think Warfield is one of them.
I thought Warfield started his upward climb in 2003, GRob's last year.

Ultra Peanut
01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Hahahahaha.

milkman
01-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I thought Warfield started his upward climb in 2003, GRob's last year.

I thought that Warfield played better in 2000, and didn't return to that form until '04.

tk13
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know. I don't think Gun likes Warfield. He never has anything positive to say about the guy. Flat out told Julian Battle to take his job, and didn't want Vermeil to activate him before the Washington game.

chiefqueen
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Now, come on, the move will help Eli's confidence as he will never be intercepted at practice.

milkman
01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't know. I don't think Gun likes Warfield. He never has anything positive to say about the guy. Flat out told Julian Battle to take his job, and didn't want Vermeil to activate him before the Washington game.

I don't understand why people think that whole Battle thing is so important.

Someone had to take his job since Warfield was going to be out of the first four games.

As for the Washington game, maybe Gunt didn't feel like he was ready yet.

But none of it matters, I still believe that Guinta was not responsible for Warfield's improved play.

jjchieffan
01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
I wonder who Gunther will choose as sceondary coach. I am thinking we may see some former KC assistants like Kurt Scottenheimer. He was awfully high on him. I hope for a coach that I remember him talking about a coach he worked with in Tennessee that was excellent at coaching tackling. He wanted to bring him here 2 years ago, but it never happened. His name is Chuck Cecil. He is coach for safeties and nicklebacks at Tenn. Hopefully Gun can get him in here this time around. God knows tackling could be improved.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Why do retreads like Guinta keep getting jobs in the NFL? Man, im glad this loser is gone.

tk13
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm rooting for Donnie Henderson, Herm's DC in New York. That would be a great hire.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I hope for a coach that I remember him talking about a coach he worked with in Tennessee that was excellent at coaching tackling. He wanted to bring him here 2 years ago, but it never happened. His name is Chuck Cecil. He is coach for safeties and nicklebacks at Tenn. Hopefully Gun can get him in here this time around. God knows tackling could be improved.

That would be sweet... :)

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm rooting for Donnie Henderson, Herm's DC in New York. That would be a great hire.

Ill have to read up on that guy. Im dont know much about him. but the Jets did seem to have pretty good defense's other than this year.

tk13
01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Ill have to read up on that guy. Im dont know much about him. but the Jets did seem to have pretty good defense's other than this year.
Oh yeah, that was the one coach a lot of the Jets fans didn't want to lose, but with Mangini there he's gone.

Before he was Herm's DC he was secondary coach for the Ravens, including that great 2000 defense under Marvin Lewis. I like him as a DC, but he's a good secondary coach too.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Before he was Herm's DC he was secondary coach for the Ravens, including that great 2000 defense under Marvin Lewis. I like him as a DC, but he's a good secondary coach too.

That right there would make me hire him in a heartbeat. I lived in the DC/Baltimore area in 2000. That defense was truly Extrordinary.

Fruit Ninja
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Praise the lord.

He turned an all-pro in Surtain into an average corner. Can't wait to see how bad he ruins average talent.Surtain was still WAY above average last year. I seen him make some amazing plays.

doomy3
01-18-2006, 04:59 PM

Is there reason to think he would even be interested? He was rumored to be a candidate for the HC position in NY. Obviously he didn't get that, but why would he take a demotion to move here. He could probably get a DC position somewhere, couldn't he?

tk13
01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Is there reason to think he would even be interested? He was rumored to be a candidate for the HC position in NY. Obviously he didn't get that, but why would he take a demotion to move here. He could probably get a DC position somewhere, couldn't he?
Possibly, we'll have to see. The New York Times speculated he'd come here as secondary coach. He was a HC candidate for both the Jets and Saints. Herm's coaches all seem pretty loyal to him though. All the players hinted that Henderson would go wherever Herm did. I think their OC, Mike Heimerdinger, would too, but Shanahan's got an offensive coordinator opening, and Shanahan and Heimerdinger were college roommates.

Rain Man
01-18-2006, 05:59 PM
That creaking sound you just heard was our defensive ship righting itself.

booger
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I wonder who Gunther will choose as sceondary coach. I am thinking we may see some former KC assistants like Kurt Scottenheimer. He was awfully high on him. I hope for a coach that I remember him talking about a coach he worked with in Tennessee that was excellent at coaching tackling. He wanted to bring him here 2 years ago, but it never happened. His name is Chuck Cecil. He is coach for safeties and nicklebacks at Tenn. Hopefully Gun can get him in here this time around. God knows tackling could be improved.

I'd agree that if Gun has some input, Cecil will be a strong consideration. He is the Titans Safties and Nickelbacks coach. Basically a glorified title for asst. Db's.

And while a lot of people mention Fred Pagac as Gun's hand picked choice as LB Coach in '04, Cecil was who he really wanted for the job. Fisher wouldn't let him interview with us and stated he was a consideration for Gun's old job as LB Coach when gun left. They gave that to Dave McGinnis along with the asst. HC title.

Everrett Whithers is the Titans current DB coach so maybe we could take another shot at Cecil. Maybe as DB coach or LB coach.

That would be nice to have Henderson coaching DB's and Cecil LB's.

They really need to hit home runs with the DB and DL coaching choices.

Maybe interview Tim Krumrie the former Bills and Bengals DL coach.
I could see Tracy Simien in line as a possible assistant as well. He coached with us last Traing camp and has coached in the NFLEL the past couple of years. Winston Moss coached saints LB's and might be up for an interview for the DC job in green bay. I also heard Henderson with interview for that job as well.

John Matrix
01-18-2006, 11:45 PM
As long as they don't interview Tim Krumrie's leg that snapped during SB XXIII, I'd be fine with that.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2006, 11:58 PM
As long as they don't interview Tim Krumrie's leg that snapped during SB XXIII, I'd be fine with that.

I want Krumrie as the D line coach.

He is a crazy bastard.

I think I remember hearing last year how he came out in full pads during training camp and challenged all the d-lineman.

I know Buffalo sucked last year defensively, but this guy could turn our soft d-line into raging animals.

Mecca
01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
The Bills Dline isn't to good either, they're basically exactly what we are. Krumies resume as DL coach there isn't to impressive.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
The Bills Dline isn't to good either, they're basically exactly what we are. Krumies resume as DL coach there isn't to impressive.

They were pretty good two years ago.

Mecca
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
They were pretty good two years ago.

When they had what we need 2 fat DT's.........

booger
01-19-2006, 12:15 AM
The went downhill when they lost Pat Williams. He really didn't have much else to work with there, but got some good results for the type of players he had.

He was also the Dline coach for Cincy under Dick Lebeau. Up until hiring Lewis they did not have hardly anything for a scouting staff. The assistant coaches did all of that even traveling on Saturdays to college games during the season. They didn't have many stars on the Dline either but put together some good defenses.

I also heard that when they go to Draftee workouts in the offseason he puts the O and Dlinemen through a drill that was pretty popular. Basically he would go one on one with them without pads in a standup blocking drill and see how much they could take. Apparently he more than held his own and had a few quit the drill. They also mentioned how this drill was effective in judging attitude with players reactions.
Just on of the things I remember reading up on back when grob quit and we were in the market for a new DC. I read up on some stuff on Lebeau and wanted him to bring in Krumrie as well.

Also from that same staff and now available as well is Lebeau's former Bengal DC and '05 packer LB coach Mark Duffner. He would be worth an interview as well.

Dick Bull
01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
That creaking sound you just heard was our defensive ship righting itself.

No gunther cunningham is the reason for the sinking.

huskerdooz
01-19-2006, 12:35 AM

Both of these teams had D-Lines that could flat out get after the QB as well. I don't think it's just a coincidence that teams with good secondaries have also got a pretty good pass rush, whether it be from 4 down lineman in the traditional 4-3 or with a blitzing LBing corp in the 3-4.

tk13
01-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Both of these teams had D-Lines that could flat out get after the QB as well. I don't think it's just a coincidence that teams with good secondaries have also got a pretty good pass rush, whether it be from 4 down lineman in the traditional 4-3 or with a blitzing LBing corp in the 3-4.
I wouldn't disagree with that at all. I think those were some talented players, but it does start up front. Actually, last offseason, I was all for signing a couple solid "less popular" corners like Andre Dyson and Kelly Herndon, and spending more money up front to give those guys a pass rush so they wouldn't have to cover. That's what the Seahawks did, and they're one step from the Super Bowl.

Although the way Gun traditionally plays, I can understand having a guy like Surtain. But we really didn't play a lot of man-to-man with blitzing LB's. I think he was a waste of money at this point. I thought we were going to do it like Denver... have a great secondary so the entire front 7 can get after the QB. But we didn't really. Whatever we do this offseason, it has to match how we're going to play defense. That's my biggest problem with Gun, is he took Robinson's castoffs and played man on man, then got quick blitzing LB's, man-man CB's, and a safety who can come down and play in the box, and then we went soft.

splatbass
01-19-2006, 02:09 AM
No gunther cunningham is the reason for the sinking.

Really? Gun may not have given us the D we wanted, but there is no doubt the D is better than when he took over.

Mecca
01-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Really? Gun may not have given us the D we wanted, but there is no doubt the D is better than when he took over.

Robinsons been gone for 2 years..........it's time to stop blaming everything on him.

splatbass
01-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Robinsons been gone for 2 years..........it's time to stop blaming everything on him.

Did you even read the post I was responding to? He said that Gun was responsible for the ship sinking. That is clearly wrong if the "ship" is in better shape than when he started. Did you fail Logic 101?

RedThat
01-19-2006, 08:17 AM

He never blamed Robinson. Get your facts straight.