PDA

View Full Version : The greatest westerns... ever

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 07:03 PM
What are they?

I'll do a top 10, but feel free to list as many as you like.

My list:

1. Lonsome Dove

2. The Searchers

3. Tombstone

4. Unforgiven

5. High Noon

6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

7. The Outlaw Josey Wales

8. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

9. The Shootist

10. True Grit

bogie
01-18-2006, 07:06 PM
For me The Shootist ranks as #1.
2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The rest are on the same level. All excellent.

Katipan
01-18-2006, 07:06 PM
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

nychief
01-18-2006, 07:09 PM
wow, this is hard... this is my first guess...

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Unforgiven
3. High Plains Drifter
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sunda
5. The Good, the bad and the ugly.
6. Outlaw Josie Whales
7. Silverado
8. High Noon
9. Shane
10. A fist full of dollars

milkman
01-18-2006, 07:09 PM
My number one is Tombstone.

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
All these are good. I like a John Wayne movie called Commanches. Its pretty good.

Woodrow Call
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
1. Lonesome Dove

2. Tombstone

3. The Outlaw Josey Wales

4. Open Range

5. Missouri Breaks

This list changes almost monthly but 1 and 2 always stay the same. Lonesome Dove is the greatest movie ever made IMO. What a great cast. Duvall and Jones are amazing.

bogie
01-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Missouri Breaks :thumb: :thumb:

SLAG
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
7 Samurai

HC_Chief
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Yep.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a close second. IMO.

Idahojim
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I've watched a lot of them, but I've never seen anything that matches "The Searchers." Good inclusion on the original list. Might have been The Duke's greatest role - along with "The Quiet Man."

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
1. Lonesome Dove

2. Tombstone

3. The Outlaw Josey Wales

4. Open Range

5. Missouri Breaks

This list changes almost monthly but 1 and 2 always stay the same. Lonesome Dove is the greatest movie ever made IMO. What a great cast. Duvall and Jones are amazing.

That's about the way it is for me, my top three don't change, everything else....

I swear Duvall was put on this earth for one purpose only, to play the part of Augustus McCrae. His McCrae is even better than Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday, and right up along side Bogart's Rick Blaine.

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
All these are good. I like a John Wayne movie called Commanches. Its pretty good.

Comancheros, perhaps?

Skip Towne
01-18-2006, 07:31 PM
The Charge at Feather River. WB's largest grossing Western of 1953. What made it so good was that it was in 3-D. The spears and arrows looked like they were coming right at you.

Chief Chief
01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
How could "Blazing Saddles" not make your Top Ten?

DMAC
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
my #1 is Westworld. And yes, it is to a western.

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/westworld.jpg

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 07:48 PM
The Charge at Feather River. WB's largest grossing Western of 1953. What made it so good was that it was in 3-D. The spears and arrows looked like they were coming right at you.

I found out not long ago, much to my surprise, from watching the special features on the DVD that Hondo was originally filmed in 3-D.

nychief
01-18-2006, 07:55 PM
my #1 is Westworld. And yes, it is to a western.

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/westworld.jpg

came very close to adding this.. awesome movie.

Nzoner
01-18-2006, 07:55 PM
1.Once Upon A Time In The West

2.Lonesome Dove

3.The Long Riders

4.The Outlaw Josey Wales

5.Unforgiven

6.The Good,The Bad & The Ugly

7.Ride With The Devil

8.The Wild Bunch

9.Hannie Caulder

10.Two Mules For Sister Sara

SCTrojan
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I like all of the stuff mentioned so far. I love most John Wayne films - Red River, Chisum, Big Jake, Cowboys, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

siberian khatru
01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
China 9, Liberty 37 -- hot sex scenes by Jenny Agutter.

redhed
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
In no particular order:

True Grit
Rio Bravo
Stagecoach
Jeremiah Johnson
The Magnificent 7
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dances w/ Wolves
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Silverado
Rustler's Rhapsody (parody, but it's a Western)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The 3 Amigos (does that count?)

/ brain starting to hurt...

Donger
01-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Not one mention of Pale Rider?

siberian khatru
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Not one mention of Pale Rider?

I like it a lot, but I always feel guilty about it -- it's so derivative of "Shane" and "High Plains Drifter."

Donger
01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
I like it a lot, but I always feel guilty about it -- it's so derivative of "Shane" and "High Plains Drifter."

I feel guilty for lusting after the young daughter. Very guilty.

That girl was just f*cking gorgeous.

siberian khatru
01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I feel guilty for lusting after the young daughter. Very guilty.

That girl was just f*cking gorgeous.

Sydney Penny. Absolutely.

Donger
01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Sydney Penny. Absolutely.

OMG. She was only 14 in that movie?

Bald but Beautiful
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Not necessarily in this order either:

1) Rio Bravo
2) Lonesome Dove
3) High Noon
4) The Searchers
5) Silverado
6) The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
7) Shane
8) Unforgiven
9) The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance

Yes, tough not to put the Duke and Clint on these lists, but for my last Western movie I am going with a more modern themed one starring Paul Newman called Hud, where he plays a total SOB.

chefsos
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
OMG. She was only 14 in that movie?

As long as Jasmine is 18, you'll be OK.

gblowfish
01-18-2006, 08:52 PM
So...where's Go Chiefs pushing for "Brokeback Mountain?"
I kid Go Chiefs...

My list of ten, no particular order:
Outlaw Josey Wales
True Grit
Blazing Saddles
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
Good Bad & Ugly
Two Mules for Sister Sarah
Silverado
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Unforgiven

Really, all the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne Westerns kick ass.

Donger
01-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Whew. I just figured out that I was 16 when that film was released. I'm not sick.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 08:56 PM
In no particualr order, my favorites...

Eldorado
Lonesome Dove
The War Wagon
Tombstone
Quigley
High Noon
My Name is Nobody
The Sackets
Silverado

And a new movie to the list...

American Outlaws.

Lets up the ante a bit...

Top 10 Western Actors, in no particular order...

John Wayne - Duh!
Tom Seleck - Probably THE best of the modern cowboy actors in my opinion
Robert Duvall - loves his work in Lonesome Dove and Open Range
Gary Cooper - One of the best ever and he was one of the first
Glen Ford - Solid cowboy, movie by movie
Clint Eastwood - got his start in westerns
Sam Eliot - rough ol' cowboy type
Ben Johnson - Always seemed to play the side roles, but always good
Roy Rodgers - The Saturday Afternoon B Movie King
Kurt Russel - how could Tombstone not earn him a spot?

gblowfish
01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Here's what the so-called movie critics think:
http://tinyurl.com/bxsw4
http://www.wanderlist.com/westerns
http://tinyurl.com/bo48s
http://tinyurl.com/9dhnd

Miles
01-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Once Upon a Time in the West
Unforgiven
Good the Bad and the Ugly
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tombstone

phisherman
01-18-2006, 09:10 PM
i can't believe only one person has said the wild bunch

that's one of the best movies of any genre EVER.

bp

Adept Havelock
01-18-2006, 09:11 PM
My top five:

1)Unforgiven

2)The Professionals
(Best ending line in a western, IMO) "You lousy SOB." "Yes sir, in my case...an accident of birth. But you, now your a self made man.) :ROFL:

3)John Fords My Darling Clementine

4)The Magnificent Seven (loved it as much as the original Seven Samurai. Best "translation" of a foreign film, ever. :thumb:

5)Blazing Saddles

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 09:13 PM
i can't believe only one person has said the wild bunch

that's one of the best movies of any genre EVER.

bp

Well, put up your 10 and stick them in.

:)

Seriously, my list came on the fly. There are several that I will probably want to put on in place of some on the list in the next couple of days as I remember them.

For example, Blazzing Saddles would have been on my list if I had remembered it when I made the list.

Nzoner
01-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Whew. I just figured out that I was 16 when that film was released. I'm not sick.

I fell in love at the age of 9 when I first saw one of my favs

Hannie Caulder

http://www.sea.fi/foto/hannie_caulder_joensuu2004.jpg

Frankie
01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
What are they?

I'll do a top 10, but feel free to list as many as you like.

My list:

1. Lonsome Dove

2. The Searchers

3. Tombstone

4. Unforgiven

5. High Noon

6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

7. The Outlaw Josey Wales

8. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

9. The Shootist

10. True Grit
Any list that does not include Rio Bravo, The Red River, Shane and Last train From Gun Hill is not legit. I do agree with you about The Searchers and High Noon.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I can't believe only one person mentioned The Long Riders. :thumb: to Joe, :shake: to the rest of you.

My favorites:

Unforgiven
The Long Riders
Wyatt Earp (Quaid > Kilmer)
Dances with Wolves
The Shootist
Tombstone
Silverado
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Hang 'Em High (Eastwood's early precursor to Unforgiven - the first western with a conscience)
Magnificent Seven
Ride with the Devil

Frazod
01-18-2006, 09:27 PM
I finally saw High Noon for the first time a few months ago. Good flick, but it didn't live up to the hype for me.

Skip Towne
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Aw, c'mon, nobody else liked "The Charge at Feather River"?

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Any list that does not include Rio Bravo, The Red River, Shane and Last train From Gun Hill is not legit. I do agree with you about The Searchers and High Noon.

There are a many number of people that consider The Searchers to be on of John Ford's greatest movies ever. Also, Cooper in High Noon is considered as one of the best westerns of all time.

Miles
01-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I finally saw High Noon for the first time a few months ago. Good flick, but it didn't live up to the hype for me.

I was pretty disappointed in it when I saw it too. It was good but I didn't think it was anything special.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Wild Bunch just got released in a brand new DVD last week. Ill have to get it. Peckinpah at his finest. My personal fave western is Lonesume Dove. Great, Great flick even though it was made for TV. Everything about it is perfect. Id like to put in a plug for a western of a few years ago that hardly anyone saw. Ron Howards "The Missing" Great little underrated flick.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM

Did you see the remake or the black and white with Gary Cooper? The orignal with Cooper is the one worth watching.

Nzoner
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I can't believe only one person mentioned The Long Riders. :thumb: to Joe, :shake: to the rest of you.

The Long Riders is required viewing for anyone calling St Joseph,MO home.

Seriously though using all sets of brothers in the movie to portray the outlaw brothers as well as the slow motion sequence during the raid in Northfield,Minnesota were just two of the things that made it a great movie.

Lastly,it's good to see someone else who mentioned Ride With The Devil too.

mlyonsd
01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Has anyone mentioned 'Bend in the River' with Jimmy Stewart?

Other than that most Wayne's movies were classics.
Eastwood....well, I thought most of them were good drive-in flicks.

Also, McKlintock(sp?) was good, although not necessarily a western in it's true sense.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Has anybody seen "The Sheepman," starring Glenn Ford and Shirley MacLaine?... One of the most entertaining westerns EVER! Unfortunately so far they have forgotten about putting it on DVD. Can't wait for it to come out.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Tombstone, no other western is even close IMHO...

chefsos
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
In no particualr order, my favorites...

Eldorado...

El Dorado is probably my favorite, though I'm certain it's not the best. I think The Duke and Mitchum just skated through this one, but I like it anyway.

Side note: Robert Mitchum spent many of his younger years in Delaware. My grandfather claimed to have spent a few evenings at one of the local bars drinking with him.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
El Dorado is probably my favorite, though I'm certain it's not the best. I think The Duke and Mitchum just skated through this one, but I like it anyway.It was OK but John Wayne and Howard Hawks badly ripped off their own earlier classic, Rio Bravo, making this one. RB was 10 times better.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Did you see the remake or the black and white with Gary Cooper? The orignal with Cooper is the one worth watching.

I saw the original. Again, it was good, just not all that.

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Blow me. I could easily make a list that is nothing BUT John Wayne films; I was trying to be some what objective. I also do not get the infatuation with Shane. It just doesn't do any thing for me.

"Shane! Come back, Shane! Mom wants to commit adultry with you, Shane!"

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I saw the original. Again, it was good, just not all that.Ah come on Fraz. HN was a great western. Some of the crane shots were pretty original in that movie and were emulated later by other westerns. However, Rio Bravo, was actually John Wayne and Howard Hawks answer to High Noon (same theme pretty much). So at least give HN credit for inspiring RB.

Nzoner
01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Blow me. I could easily make a list that is nothing BUT John Wayne films;

I EASILY made a list with no John Wayne films :p

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
The Long Riders is required viewing for anyone calling St Joseph,MO home.

Seriously though using all sets of brothers in the movie to portray the outlaw brothers as well as the slow motion sequence during the raid in Northfield,Minnesota were just two of the things that made it a great movie.

Ride with the Devil was one of those movies that never did get the attention it deserved. I saw it in the theater in Kansas City, but it wasn't even shown up here. Granted, the pacing was a bit slow, but it certainly captured the nature of the conflict and of the guerillas themselves.

Plus, anything showing Lawrence being burned to the ground works for me. :fire:

I own Outlaw Josie Wales, and I still like it, but the set up for that movie is pure bullshit - almost all of the Confederate raiders were kids (Bloody Bill Anderson was 24 when he died), and they didn't rape/kill women and children.

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
It was OK but John Wayne and Howard Hawks badly ripped off their own earlier classic, Rio Bravo, making this one. RB was 10 times better.

Emphasis on "badly". I still enjoy the hell out of it though.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
"Shane! Come back, Shane! Mom wants to commit adultry with you, Shane!"
ROFL
Did you notice how closely Clint Eastwood ripped off Shane in Pale Rider? I don't even think they acknowledged it in the credits. Somebody shoulda gotten sued. I don't know how they got away with that one!

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Ah come on Fraz. HN was a great western. Some of the crane shots were pretty original in that movie and were emulated later by other westerns. However, Rio Bravo, was actually John Wayne and Howard Hawks answer to High Noon (same theme pretty much). So at least give HN credit for inspiring RB.

I always thought the final fight would be the classic one-on-one gunslinger draw - the way people always talked about High Noon, I just assumed that was the classic example of that. I was very dissappointed when that wasn't the case. Is it fair to the movie? No. But still, it just didn't do anything for me. It's not one I'd buy on DVD. All the ones I listed as favorites are movies that I actually own.

Raiderhader

Impossible for me to do.

PastorMikH
Blow me. I could easily make a list that is nothing BUT John Wayne films; I was trying to be some what objective.

Yep.

Stagecoach
Eldorado
Rio Bravo
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
The War Wagon
True Grit
Chism
McKlintock
Red River
Sons of Katie Elder
The Horse Soldiers
Rooster Cogburn

oops, too many.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 10:26 PM
ROFL
Did you notice how closely Clint Eastwood ripped off Shane in Pale Rider? I don't even think they acknowledged it in the credits. Somebody shoulda gotten sued. I don't know how they got away with that one!

Eastwood has admitted that that film borrowed heavily from Shane. It still kicks Ass though.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:26 PM

I only had one on mine. John Wayne's okay, and I appreciate what he did for the genre - but he's not one of my favorites. Eastwood, not Wayne is the ultimate western star, IMO.

Jenson71
01-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Leone's
The Gunfighter
The Searchers
Butch Cassidy
Ox-Bow Incident

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 10:29 PM
No Love for Silverado? I always kinda liked it. Coster, Kline, Glenn and Glover kicked ass.Plus Dennehy and Goldblum made some smarmy villians.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Eastwood has admitted that that film borrowed heavily from Shane. It still kicks Ass though.That's like saying the Japanese man's look "borrows heavily" from the Chinese man.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
No Love for Silverado? I always kinda liked it. Coster, Kline, Glenn and Glover kicked ass.Plus Dennehy and Goldblum made some smarmy villians.

I listed it. Off the scale cheesy, but very slick and cool, with great heroes and nasty villains. If only they were that easy to identify in real life. Some great lines, too.

Well, he ain't hittin' nothing.

You idiot, he's hit everything he's aimed at!

or

Jeez, Payden, her old man ain't even cold yet.

ROFL

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Henry Fonda's Tin Star is another very underappreciated western. I have that one too in my DVD collection and recommend it highly.

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Yep.

Stagecoach
Eldorado
Rio Bravo
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
The War Wagon
True Grit
Chism
McKlintock
Red River
Sons of Katie Elder
The Horse Soldiers
Rooster Cogburn

oops, too many.

Heh. Actually, two or three of those wouldn't make my list until close to the bottom. Rooster Cogburn and Chisum for sure. War Wagon would probably go about middle of the pack, and so would (and I know I'll catch hell for this) Red River. RR starts out great, but at a certain point the writing (in terms of dialouge) goes to crap. Great story, acting is great early on, but about half way to three quarters of the way through the movie it just stops being good. And it's a shame too.

My list would probably look something like this:

The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Shootist
True Grit
Stagecoach
The Cowboys
Rio Bravo
Rio Grande
Fort Apache
The Alamo
Big Jake
El Dorado
ect.
ect.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Another one that I liked (and wish would come out on DVD) was Son of the Morning Star, a two-part TV mini-series about Custer starring Gary Cole. Easily the most accurate of the Custer movies, although it obviously wasn't graphic enough being a TV movie.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
I wonder if Brokeback Mountain will make anyones list in a few years??

Rausch
01-18-2006, 10:39 PM

What does Bareback Mountain have going for it other than it being the first major Gay Romeo & Juliet?...

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 10:40 PM

Around these parts, we prefer movies about Texas Rangers, NOT rump rangers.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM
What does Bareback Mountain have going for it other than it being the first major Gay Romeo & Juliet?...

It does look pretty good, plus it has my woman (Anne Hathaway) in it. I think whats making people uncomfortble about it is, it takes one of the most Iconic American sterotypes: The Cowboy, and turns it on its ear. I was surprised to learn it was written by Lonesume Doves Larry McMurtry.

Frazod
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM

It's just the latest thing for liberals with agendas to beat us over the head with. I'm already sick of f#cking hearing about it, and the buzz won't stop for months because it's a shoe-in to win a bunch of Oscars.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Heh. Actually, two or three of those wouldn't make my list until close to the bottom. .

Actually, my list of John Wayne Movies is on the other 'puter. I was pretty much just naming the ones that come to mind since all of his westerns are great. Shoot, a few of his B movies are better than some of the modern westerns.

Miles
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
It's just the latest thing for liberals with agendas to beat us over the head with. I'm already sick of f#cking hearing about it, and the buzz won't stop for months because it's a shoe-in to win a bunch of Oscars.

Yeah its pretty annoying. Its supposed to be a really good movie but who cares when the subject matter makes you never wan't to see it.

This is a decent article making fun of how hollwood puts this shit out.
http://thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=1980&SectionID=3

Raiderhader
01-18-2006, 10:55 PM
It does look pretty good, plus it has my woman (Anne Hathaway) in it. I think whats making people uncomfortble about it is, it takes one of the most Iconic American sterotypes: The Cowboy, and turns it on its ear.

I don't think that is completely the case, but largely so. What is wrong with leaving the cowboy alone in his stereotypical world? To quote from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, after the newspaper editor has just heard the story of what really took place, he takes the notes, and throws them in the fire. Jimmy Stewart asks, "You aren't going to print the story?" "No, Sir. This is the west, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend." Leave the cowboy image alone, it shouldn't be messed with.

I was surprised to learn it was written by Lonesume Doves Larry McMurtry.

I didn't know that. Damn.

Dunit35
01-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I dont know many Westerns, but just about anything with John Wayne in it, Ive seen and loved. I also loved The Outlaw Josey Whales.

Demonpenz
01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
BLOOOOOONNNNDIEEE!

greg63
01-19-2006, 12:12 AM
What; no High Plains Drifter???

Dick Bull
01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
1)blazing saddles

2)rustlers rhapsody

Dick Bull
01-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Tombstone, no other western is even close IMHO...

I totally disagree and felt that wyatt earp was the better of the 2.

Miles
01-19-2006, 01:08 AM

I'm going to look for that one. I haven't heard of it before but it sounds interesting. Also saw that Jeffrey Wright is in it. I really enjoyed him in Syriana and Broken Flowers.

Gaz
01-19-2006, 05:24 AM
“Silverado”

xoxo~
Gaz
Hated to drop “El Dorado” to #2.

Jenson71
01-19-2006, 05:28 AM
I've seen Brokeback Mountain, and while it is a really good movie, it's definitely not a western.

Warrior5
01-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Tons of great flicks listed; while I'd like to also mention The Horse Soldiers (a true Cav movie), it's not a western.

One sleeper that I've only seen mentioned once so far is Open Range, starring Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

MOhillbilly
01-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Shane
The Shootist
Magnificent 7
Pale rider
Unforgiven
OJW
True Grit

After those they just kinda all fall into place in a big jumble, but IMO w/ out a doubt alan ladd in Shane is THE BEST Western EVER w/ The Shootist a close second.

KCinNY
01-19-2006, 07:23 AM
The Searchers.

Red River.

Outlaw Josey Wales.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
I hope the western makes a comeback. Costner's Open Range was one of the better films I have seen in awhile. I liked it a whole lot better than the latest Star Wars/Batman Returns/War of the Worlds crap

PastorMikH
01-19-2006, 07:56 AM
2)rustlers rhapsody

I'd forgotten about that one! I used to watch that one at least once a month.

Sully
01-19-2006, 07:58 AM
1. Wyatt Earp (18x better than Tombstone, IMO)
2. Blazing Saddles
3. Silverado

Nzoner
01-19-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm going to look for that one. I haven't heard of it before but it sounds interesting. Also saw that Jeffrey Wright is in it. I really enjoyed him in Syriana and Broken Flowers.

Ride With The Devil was filmed in this area,and odd but true my sis-in-law who had a dairy farm at the time had a cow they used in the movie.

phisherman
01-19-2006, 08:05 AM
alright, so i gave everyone a hard time about not saying the wild bunch, so i made my list
1. Wild Bunch
2. My Darling Clementine
3. Rio Bravo
4. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
5. True Grit
6. Ride the High Country
7. Tombstone
8. Fistful of Dollars - if you like this, see Yojimbo!
9. Once Upon a Time in the West
10. The Searchers

I'm really up for anything that's done by John Ford or Sam Peckinpah

bp

phisherman
01-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Ride With The Devil was filmed in this area,and odd but true my sis-in-law who had a dairy farm at the time had a cow they used in the movie.

yep, a lot of the footage was filmed in Pattonsburg, MO. My grandpa lived there my whole life. The 93 floods wiped the whole town out, so the up and moved the whole town

Frankie
01-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Namedropper! :rolleyes:

DJJasonp
01-19-2006, 08:33 AM
1. Wyatt Earp (18x better than Tombstone, IMO)
2. Blazing Saddles
3. Silverado

An excellent list that I cant argue with at all.....

I'll add a guilty pleasure.... Maverick.

Nzoner
01-19-2006, 08:33 AM
I forgot about Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man but it's been years since I've seen it although I recall liking it alot.Really showing my age here but I saw it as a double feature with Richard Harris' A Man Called Horse.

redhed
01-19-2006, 08:54 AM
I forgot about Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man but it's been years since I've seen it although I recall liking it alot.Really showing my age here but I saw it as a double feature with Richard Harris' A Man Called Horse.

Aw, how could I forget LBM? One of my all time favs regardless of genre.

Sully
01-19-2006, 09:35 AM
An excellent list that I cant argue with at all.....

I'll add a guilty pleasure.... Maverick.

I can roll with Maverick, as well. But it's hard to like Gibson now (he used to be one of my favorite actors) since he's a nut job.

Gonzo
01-19-2006, 10:03 AM

Little Horse: "Come live with me in my tepee, Little Big Man. You can sleep on soft furs and I will be your wife."

Best western I have ever seen.

Predarat
01-19-2006, 10:10 AM
The best in my opinion is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Others I like are McClintok! El Dorado, Unforgiven, Big Jake, Tombstone and Shane.

Gonzo
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I really like the newer westerns. Unforgiven, Open Range, etc. But You had to love Butch & Sundance. "You think you used enought dynamite there Butch?" That was a freakin great movie.

Jilly
01-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Aside from the fact that it's 8 hours long....Lonesome Dove is by far the best

Frankie
01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I can roll with Maverick, as well. But it's hard to like Gibson now (he used to be one of my favorite actors) since he's a nut job.
The movie Maverick was an insult to the excellent TV series. For years I have watched James Garner, have loved James Garner, and have followed James Garner's career, and Mel, my friend, is no James Garner.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
But it's hard to like Gibson now (he used to be one of my favorite actors) since he's a nut job.

hahah..check out the trailer for his latest film: Apocolypto. I think hes truly going off the deep end. It looks good though

http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bounce.aspx?eclipid=e26204&bitrateid=253&vendorid=600