PDA

View Full Version : Vinnie Iyer of Sporting News on Herm and the Chiefs.

huskerdooz
01-19-2006, 04:02 AM
You can find this article at:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=54484

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply stated, it's a win-win deal
January 18, 2006

Vinnie Iyer
Sporting News

Dick Vermeil's motivational motto as coach of the Chiefs and, before that, the Rams was Gotta go to work. The best-known quote of his replacement in Kansas City, former Jets coach Herman Edwards, is You play to win the game.

Those simple statements have helped guide Vermeil's and Edwards' teams to success in recent years. And now Edwards, who played for Vermeil more than two decades ago in Philadelphia and who cost the Chiefs just a fourth-round pick as compensation, is the right man to succeed his mentor.

"The foundation of what Herm's all about is success," says one NFC pro personnel director. "You get that right from meeting him."

For Edwards, playing to win means running the ball effectively, protecting it and working to take it away. In other words, keep the intensity and efficiency high, and keep the turnovers, penalties and other costly mistakes low. So, let's see how the Chiefs fare on Edwards' checklist.

He gets the league's most exciting young running back in Larry Johnson, who operates behind the league's best run-blocking line. Check.

Johnson lost only one fumble in the season's second half, despite carrying a heavy load. Durable quarterback Trent Green, whose passer rating consistently is in the 90s, threw only 10 interceptions, his fewest with the Chiefs. Check.

Under defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who has been retained by Edwards, the Chiefs forced 31 takeaways in 2005, tied for seventh in the league. Check.

There's more good news: No team was penalized fewer times than the Jets during Edwards' five-year reign. And Edwards inherits the league's top-ranked offense, as compared with the injury-ravaged Jets, who finished 31st this season.

Despite those numbers, Kansas City didn't make the playoffs, so there's some work to be done. The defense was overaggressive and undisciplined at times, failed to tackle consistently and struggled to avoid big pass plays. Edwards' philosophy of less flash and more fundamentals is a good remedy for those things.

Cunningham's presence gives the defense continuity, and some young talent is in place. The team's offseason shopping list must include a pass rusher to support right end Jared Allen and more speed in the secondary, but just as he did with the Jets in Jonathan Vilma, Edwards has a good, young linebacker around whom he can build (Derrick Johnson).

Edwards doesn't need to tinker with the offense too much, even if coordinator Al Saunders leaves. It has the kind of balance -- conservative and explosive -- his Jets teams couldn't find. As Edwards goes to work on the defense, expect extra emphasis on ball control.

Given what Edwards has inherited in Kansas City, his winning formula won't need long to take effect. In the short term, he has a much better chance to take the Chiefs deep into the playoffs than he would have with the Jets.

The Chiefs were 5-2 in their final seven games in 2005, and Johnson rushed for more than 100 yards in the final nine games. Just as important, their schedule lines up favorably in 2006; only six games are against '05 playoff teams.

If Edwards had to go to work for another team, it just wouldn't work as well. Don't be surprised if the Chiefs are playing to win the big game a year from now.

Vinnie Iyer is the NFL projects editor for Sporting News. Email him at viyer@sportingnews.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2006 All rights reserved.

MichaelH
01-19-2006, 04:56 AM
The Chiefs were 5-2 in their final seven games in 2005, and Johnson rushed for more than 100 yards in the final nine games. Just as important, their schedule lines up favorably in 2006; only six games are against '05 playoff teams.

the same thing was said last year and look how that turned out. :rolleyes:

InChiefsHell
01-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Ironically, of the 6 games we lost, three were to non-playoff teams...Bills, Cowboys and Giants. Or did Dallas go last year? Anyway, the toughness of the schedule changes week to week, so I don't think that means jack.

bkkcoh
01-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Ironically, of the 6 games we lost, three were to non-playoff teams...Bills, Cowboys and Giants. Or did Dallas go last year? Anyway, the toughness of the schedule changes week to week, so I don't think that means jack.

No but Dallas was in the hunt up until the last week...... with a redskin loss but the giants did make the playoffs...

kc rush
01-19-2006, 07:13 AM

Cowboys didn't.

Giants did.

Philly didn't.

Gaz
01-19-2006, 07:19 AM
...For Edwards, playing to win means running the ball effectively, protecting it and working to take it away. In other words, keep the intensity and efficiency high, and keep the turnovers, penalties and other costly mistakes low. ...

This sounds so much like Marty it makes me tremble in fear.

xoxo~
Gaz
Dreads the return of Martyball.

MOhillbilly
01-19-2006, 07:34 AM
run the ball and play a high level of defense.

doesnt bother me.

marty is marty but he isnt the only HC who knows thats how to win in the NFL and has always been the way to win.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 07:36 AM
The first sentence of the 2nd paragraph would indicate that Vinnie thinks Vermeil was "successful" in KC.

I didn't bother reading any further.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 07:38 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Playing to your strengths isn't a bad thing. Even with Marty.

Marty's biggest weakness was getting to the playoffs and then throwing his strengths out the window and crawling under a rock.

redhed
01-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Marty's biggest weakness was getting to the playoffs and then throwing his strengths out the window and crawling under a rock.

This is what I could never figure. Playoff Martyball was the exact opposite of reg season Martyball.

InChiefsHell
01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
No but Dallas was in the hunt up until the last week...... with a redskin loss but the giants did make the playoffs...

I meant coming into this season ('05) from last season ('04). The bills, cowboys and giants did not go to the playoffs in 04, or did they? The point was that you can't go off of the previous season's schedule when determining strength of schedule.

dollar1
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Dammit, htismaqe....

That's my ROCK:) I'm not good at sharing.

~Crawling Back Under My Rock~

Tribal Warfare
01-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Cunningham's presence gives the defense continuity
In being inconsistent. :shake:

TEX
01-19-2006, 01:04 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Yep. :shake:

Herm just needs to LEAVE THE OFFENSE ALONE and bring something to the defensive side. However, losing Al will make this pretty near impossible.

tk13
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Running the football and playing defense does not always equal Martyball.

Really, look at who is left in the playoffs, they pretty much all like to run the ball and play defense. That's what they do. They ranked 1, 2, 7, and 10th in rushing attempts. Of course Seattle and Carolina both have RB health issues, but at their core they are all run-based teams offensively with a good defense.

tk13
01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Rushing attempts/Passing attempts

Pittsburgh: 1st - 32nd
Denver: 2nd - 25th

Seattle: 7th - 23rd
Carolina: 10th - 28th

melbar
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Why is it when our defense is good we get conservative? A good Defense and a Good Offense should go hand in hand. If your defense is dependable they should be able to compensate for any mistakes made by an agressive Offense. But that offense should still be scoring at least 20+ points.If your being ultra conservative on the O then your defense only has room for 1 or 2 mistakes .Score a lot of points and stop them from scoring .Why make the gap between smaller by being conservative? Seems simple ... :shrug:

chiefsfan1963
01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
The first sentence of the 2nd paragraph would indicate that Vinnie thinks Vermeil was "successful" in KC.

I didn't bother reading any further.

The truth hurts!!!! I wouldn't have kept reading if I thought like you either!
:p

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Edwards doesn't need to tinker with the offense too much, even if coordinator Al Saunders leaves. It has the kind of balance -- conservative and explosive -- his Jets teams couldn't find. As Edwards goes to work on the defense, expect extra emphasis on ball control.
what's incongruent with this paragraph?

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
The truth hurts!!!! I wouldn't have kept reading if I thought like you either!
:p

You don't even know what truth is.

I'm surprised you can even see with 3 inches of red cellophane taped over your eyes.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Running the football and playing defense does not always equal Martyball.

Really, look at who is left in the playoffs, they pretty much all like to run the ball and play defense. That's what they do. They ranked 1, 2, 7, and 10th in rushing attempts. Of course Seattle and Carolina both have RB health issues, but at their core they are all run-based teams offensively with a good defense.

Exactly.

Martyball has more to do with situational playcalling than the spread of run vs. pass...