PDA

View Full Version : Marc Boerigter possibly goin back to the CFL

royr17
01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Football/2006/01/18/1399722-sun.html

Wed, January 18, 2006

Bo talks

Former Stamps standout reveals he may return to Calgary to live and possibly play

By ERIC FRANCIS, CALGARY SUN

LEAWOOD, Kan. -- Eyes fixed lovingly on one-year-old Macie as she crawls around the basement of his 3,000-sq.-ft. home in suburban Kansas City, Marc Boerigter admits she'll likely grow up elsewhere.

On the tail end of another disappointing season with the Kansas City Chiefs, the former Stampeders receiver now has plans to move his family back to Calgary.

Despite using his combination of size and speed to lead the NFL club in receiving two straight pre-seasons, the 27-year-old was relegated to a bit role, playing in just 10 of 16 games this season.

And so, as an unrestricted free agent who will likely shop his services, Big Bo wants to set up a home base in Cowtown where he met his wife Petra.

"I just love Calgary and I miss it a lot," said Boerigter, whose wife hails from Leduc, just outside Edmonton.

"We're going to look for a place in Calgary but it all depends where we end up and how long I sign for. I'm kind of at the point where it could go either way."

Meaning he could find an NFL team looking to use his skill set as a starter or he could see his $500,000 minimum salary squeeze him out of a league forever re-stocking with younger, flashier talents.

Early indications are the 6-ft. 3-in., 220-lb. Nebraskan will draw plenty of interest.

"This year kind of took the fun out of it," admitted Boerigter, frustrated after fighting back from season-ending knee surgery in 2004 to be thrown just eight passes in 2005 -- the same number of TD grabs he led the team with three years earlier.

"I can contribute more than I have but the problem is there are only so many footballs to go around here with (Dante) Hall, (Eddie) Kennison, (Tony) Gonzalez, Priest (Holmes) and (Larry) Johnson. I'm kind of looking forward to free agency because I can go to a fresh team and make an impression."

Having chatted with opposing coaches throughout the season, the veteran of four NFL seasons senses there will be interest around the league as the man who made $656,000 US looks for more playing time.

Having forged a solid relationship with QB Trent Green and becoming a respected member of the community for his charitable foundation (not to mention the owner of an NFL-record 99-yard touchdown grab), the possibility of re-signing with the Chiefs is not being ruled out thanks to the recent coaching overhaul.

Also, Plan C -- as in CFL -- is also a viable option.

"If things don't work out down here,

I would definitely be open to going back to the CFL," said Boerigter, whose office is filled with footballs and photos of the Stamps' 2001 Grey Cup win. "There's a lot of talent up there that could play here but it's all about getting an opportunity."

Having lost his opportunity in K.C., Boerigter still wonders if he should have signed in Indianapolis four years back when the Colts offered him more money (he got a CFL-record $175,000 US signing bonus by the Chiefs). Thing is, the Colts were stacked with receivers.

The Chiefs seemed a good fit.

"I'm disappointed with the fact I feel

I haven't performed up to what my abilities are capable of," said Boerigter, who says he's still approached by fans wearing Stamps jerseys in almost every stadium.

"Next year -- I don't know -- the dynamics of the team might change a lot."

Frazod
01-19-2006, 09:17 AM
:( Best of luck, Marc. You rocked.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I still think he could have been something. Too bad it didn't work out.

Skip Towne
01-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Moving to Canada? Can he speak Canadian?

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I certainly hope that Boerigter isn't blaming the only team that saw fit to give his CFL ass a chance...

Seek
01-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I think he needs to wait one more year to see if Herm sees his services different than DV did. I thought DV wasted his career in favor of Dante.

Rain Man
01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
It's not like the Chiefs were lining up Moss and Owens out there. He had an opportunity to seize a job, and it was captured by a 4th-round pick in his second year. I doubt that there were a lot of other teams out there that had a spot that wide open going into preseason.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:31 AM
It's not like the Chiefs were lining up Moss and Owens out there. He had an opportunity to seize a job, and it was captured by a 4th-round pick in his second year. I doubt that there were a lot of other teams out there that had a spot that wide open going into preseason.

Exactly.

Marc Boerigter is more folk hero than WR.

PunkinDrublic
01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Exactly.

Yup he had one monster game against the bolts. He's the white Sly Morris.

C-Mac
01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
He will replace Lelie in Denver.

Rain Man
01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Yup he had one monster game against the bolts. He's the white Sly Morris.

I thought he was the Canadian Sean LaChapelle.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:44 AM
He will replace Lelie in Denver.

He's the Nebraskan Ed McCaffery.

Hoover
01-19-2006, 09:47 AM
"Despite using his combination of size and speed to lead the NFL club in receiving two straight pre-seasons"

I found that funny, maybe he can hook up with Joe Hall.

Dunit35
01-19-2006, 09:47 AM
hes our biggest wide receiver besides Gonzo. Its weird that he couldnt get it done, makes ya wonder.

Nzoner
01-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Dammit,I could have bought $80 worth of beer,instead I have a near new #85 jersey that's worth nothing.

Rain Man
01-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Dammit,I could have bought $80 worth of beer,instead I have a near new #85 jersey that's worth nothing.

Cool. A Jonathan Hayes jersey.

jidar
01-19-2006, 09:59 AM
What was wrong with Bo anyway? Why was he underutilized? I don't recall any drops, was he just not getting open?

Nzoner
01-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Cool. A Jonathan Hayes jersey.

It'd probably look better on the gameroom wall.

savedin79
01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
do you think he can make it their.

grandllama
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I certainly hope that Boerigter isn't blaming the only team that saw fit to give his CFL ass a chance...

I do believe the article mentioned he had an offer from Indy too...

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 10:13 AM
What was wrong with Bo anyway? Why was he underutilized? I don't recall any drops, was he just not getting open?

He had a bad case of the dropsies before being injured. Everybody tried to say it was eyesight, but I heard him personally deny that on the radio.

shakesthecat
01-19-2006, 10:14 AM

You must have missed his huge drop in the endzone during the playoff game against the Colts. And for that matter the entire 2003 season. He was terrible.

I think he had some medical issues with his eyes that year, but guys like him usually don't get much room for error.

Cochise
01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Exactly.

That's my opinion too. 700 yards in 4 seasons as a pro... no big loss.

He caught some TD's in 2002 but even if you don't count the season he missed due to injury or games where he has been inactive, he still hasn't caught a TD in the last 26 games he's played in.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I still think Boerigter is better than people here say.

I think the Chiefs gave Chris Horn and Samie Parker more opportunities, just because they were the smaller, quicker receivers that DV likes.

Once Kennison retires, given the chance, I think Boerigter could be a starter in this league.

/homer

jidar
01-19-2006, 10:27 AM
We have yet to see the best out of Parker, but we might have seen the best from Bo.

sedated
01-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Dammit Grandpa!!! :cuss:

You wasted him and now he's leaving!!!

He could have been special. :shake:

sedated
01-19-2006, 10:34 AM
That's my opinion too. 700 yards in 4 seasons as a pro... no big loss.

He caught some TD's in 2002 but even if you don't count the season he missed due to injury or games where he has been inactive, he still hasn't caught a TD in the last 26 games he's played in.

and whose fault is that?

not his.

You can't put up numbers when you're inactive or playing only special teams

morphius
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I still think Boerigter is better than people here say.

I think the Chiefs gave Chris Horn and Samie Parker more opportunities, just because they were the smaller, quicker receivers that DV likes.

Once Kennison retires, given the chance, I think Boerigter could be a starter in this league.

/homer
Horn is fast? I think the reason they gave Horn the chance was because he ran the routes well and had better hands.

On a side note I'm a bit surprised the NFLPA doesn't have it set up so that even though the players min goes up that it still only costs as much against the salary cap as the rookie's do.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
We have yet to see the best out of Parker, but we might have seen the best from Bo.

Yep.

StcChief
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Bo wasn't given enough chances after coming back from injury.

Big/fast. Think Herm would give him a chance to make squad in 2006.

Or is the 'wife' jumpin about going back to Calgary, eh.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Horn is fast? I think the reason they gave Horn the chance was because he ran the routes well and had better hands.

I said he was QUICK. He's definitely not fast.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
and whose fault is that?

not his.

You can't put up numbers when you're inactive or playing only special teams

Whose fault is that?

You can't be active or play more than special teams when you're not that good.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
You can't be active or play more than special teams when you're not that good.

How can we forget Joe Horn so quickly?

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
How can we forget Joe Horn so quickly?

Comparing Bo to Horn is laughable.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Comparing Bo to Horn is laughable.

Joe Horn in KC - 53 catches, 879 yards, 7 TD in 4 seasons

Marc Boerigter in KC - 39 catches, 697 yards, 8 TD in 3 seasons

I'd be really pissed if Boerigter went somewhere else and flourished.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Joe Horn in KC - 53 catches, 879 yards, 7 TD in 4 seasons

Marc Boerigter in KC - 39 catches, 697 yards, 8 TD in 3 seasons

I'd be really pissed if Boerigter went somewhere else and flourished.
that comparison is just silly

Joe horn was working in a backassward offense with a crap QB

boerigter has been working in a high-powered offense desperate for a stud speed receiver.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
that comparison is just silly

Joe horn was working in a backassward offense with a crap QB

boerigter has been working in a high-powered offense desperate for a stud speed receiver.

I think it's a valid comparison. Neither was really given the chance they deserved in KC. Horn was languishing on the bench behind an ineffective Andre Rison for crying out loud.

AirForceChief
01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
hes our biggest wide receiver besides Gonzo. Its weird that he couldnt get it done, makes ya wonder.

Yeah, AS went away from Gonzo and Bo in the Red Zone. Think that will change next year, at least with regard to Gonzo...

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, AS went away from Gonzo and Bo in the Red Zone. .

We threw ONE FADE the entire year to Boerigter in the end zone.

It WORKED.

Why was it never repeated?

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I think it's a valid comparison. Neither was really given the chance they deserved in KC. Horn was languishing on the bench behind an ineffective Andre Rison for crying out loud.
the "not given the chance they deserve" might be a valid point

but you used their receiving stats as a comparison point ...... completely irrelevant imo. They were in two completely different offensive situations.

gunther cunningham was the HC for gawd sakes!

we didn't do a good job of using the passing game when Horn was here ... so none of the receivers got used right.

Boerigter is specific to Boerigter this time around.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, AS went away from Gonzo and Bo in the Red Zone. Think that will change next year, at least with regard to Gonzo...wanna bet?

unless gonzo's play improves (healthy?) then his role is gonna be reduce regardless of the OC.

Ultra Peanut
01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
nooooooooooo bo!!

jspchief
01-19-2006, 12:04 PM
On a side note I'm a bit surprised the NFLPA doesn't have it set up so that even though the players min goes up that it still only costs as much against the salary cap as the rookie's do.

They do. After a certain number of years, only 40% of the salary of a league minimum guy counts against the cap. I believe it was like 6 or 7 years though, so I don't think Boe qualifies.

morphius
01-19-2006, 12:07 PM
They do. After a certain number of years, only 40% of the salary of a league minimum guy counts against the cap. I believe it was like 6 or 7 years though, so I don't think Boe qualifies.
Okay, I had thought they had done something about it, but then I read this article and suddenly it made a lot less sense. Thanks for clearing it up!

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
we didn't do a good job of using the passing game when Horn was here ... so none of the receivers got used right.

Really? Grbac had 3400 yards in Horn's final season. He had 4,000 the next year.

tk13
01-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I think Bo missed his chance in 2004. We had all those injuries in camp, and he basically was getting Morton's starting reps and doing a good job with them. Then he got hurt.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Really? Grbac had 3400 yards in Horn's final season. He had 4,000 the next year.
instead of reciting stats all the time, try actually watching a game or 2.

Grbac blows monkey nuts irregardless of his total yardage.

our offense then had decent numbers but was a total train wreck

Hydrae
01-19-2006, 12:56 PM

And then Joe left the inept offense of the Chiefs and joined that offensive juggernaut lead by future Hall of Famer Aaron Brooks in New Orleans. :rolleyes:

Not saying that comparing Horn to Bo makes much sense but the argument you are trying doesn't hold much water.

Count Zarth
01-19-2006, 01:02 PM

OK, whatever.

Saying the passing offense was a total "train wreck" when the QB throws for 3400 yards and 22 TDs is just stupid.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
How will we replace his 7 or 8 catches a season?? He will be missed....so long Bo....