PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Saunders to Washington, not Oakland........

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Frank Boal is reporting that Washington is going to pay Al Saunder more as an OC, than the Raiders were offering for HC.

I'm glad that we won't face Al twice per year.

I don't see another thread about this. If there is already a thread, I'm sorry for the repost.

Reaper16
01-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Dan Snyder is a raving lunatic when it comes paying his coaching staff. Wow.
Too bad the Redskins, with Williams and Saunders, are going to become the team I wanted the Chiefs to be.

Mr. Kotter
01-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Has Nick Athan confirmed this? I won't believe it until he confirms it...

tomahawk kid
01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I've been listening to 810 and hadn't heard this.

When did Boal mention this?

beer bacon
01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Dan Snyder is a raving lunatic when it comes paying his coaching staff. Wow.
Too bad the Redskins, with Williams and Saunders, are going to become the team I wanted the Chiefs to be.

It seems a lot smarter then his old strategy. Instead of spending ridiculous amounts on players and having problems with the cap, spend that money on getting the best coaches possible. It has worked out with Greg. Maybe it will work out with Al too.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 09:20 AM
If you cut and pasted from WPI, you just made a massive mistake.

Cochise
01-19-2006, 09:20 AM

When did Boal mention this?

Uh oh. So what message board was this cut and pasted from?

Hoover
01-19-2006, 09:22 AM
I've said all along this is about Money. Its a great fit for them and I love the fact that he is in the NFC.

Ya got to respect Snyder.

Al You were great, I understand why you left, thanks for not going to the Raiders.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 09:22 AM

When did Boal mention this? A friend of my just called me to give me the news. I don't know if he got it from radio or TV. But he did say that it was Frank Boal.

huskerdooz
01-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I just heard Boal on 810, and he said the same thing. He also said that Solari was being promoted to OC.

Bootlegged
01-19-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3416692

Lions hire Marinelli; Petrino's off market
And Saunders may be going to Redskins
By Jerry McDonald, STAFF WRITER

Rod Marinelli went off the market Wednesday, Bobby Petrino took himself off the market, and Al Saunders might be next.
Marinelli, who interviewed with the Oakland Raiders for their head coaching position Monday, reached agreement on a contract to become head coach of the Detroit Lions.

Petrino, in response to his name being linked with the Raiders, released a statement through the Louisville athletic department reaffirming his commitment to the university.

Saunders, the first person to be interviewed Jan.11, was scheduled to meet with the Washington Redskins today for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said.

The Raiders would not confirm an interview Tuesday with Petrino, as reported Wednesday in ANG Newspapers. A team official said the Raiders have contacted several candidates by phone and that identifying a college candidate is ''delicate" because schools are currently recruiting.

Petrino, while not denying he spoke with the Raiders, issued the following statement:

''I understand my name is being mentioned in connection with job openings in the National Football League, but I want to reiterate my commitment to the University of Louisville, our players and all of our Cardinal fans. ... I'm committed to fulfilling our goal of taking the program to the next level."

Cardinalsports.com, a Web site devoted to Louisville athletics, reported that Alabama recruit Deantwan ''Peanut" Whitehead spoke with Petrino Wednesday at his high school.

Petrino joined Fresno State coach Pat Hill, whose name has also been linked with the Raiders, as college coaches who removed their name from consideration. Hill received an extension to remain at Fresno State through 2010.

Saunders could receive an offer from the deep pockets of Washington owner Daniel Snyder that would exceed what he could make as the Raiders head coach.

Washington took defensive coordinator Gregg Williams off the market with a three-year contract worth a reported $8 million, making him the highest paid assistant coach in the league.

Williams' deal also stipulates he could leave after one year if he wanted to be a head coach elsewhere. The appeal for Saunders would be the possibility of succeeding Joe Gibbs if Gibbs were to retire after Williams departed.

Saunders has been down that road before, deciding to remain in Kansas City in 2004 with the chance to take over when Dick Vermeil retired. The Chiefs instead traded for the Jets' Herman Edwards.

The only other candidate the Raiders would confirm to have interviewed is Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton, a longshot considering he has only been a coach since 2002.

With CBS Sportsline reporting the Rams having reached agreement with Scott Linehan and the Lions deciding on Marinelli, the only unfilled vacancies are in Oakland, Houston and Buffalo.

The Texans are believed to be poised to hire Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak once the Broncos complete the season.

In other matters, a team official said the club is working to retain the services of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. An NFL source said Ryan had already agreed to stay in Oakland but has since asked to be released from his contract so he could join Eric Mangini on the New York Jets staff.

A league source said the Green Bay Packers are interested in talking to Raiders running backs coach Skip Peete, but the club had not granted permission to speak to him. The source also said the Raiders have retained defensive line coach Keith Millard.

Alexander will play Sunday

KIRKLAND, Wash. — Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren removed all doubt: NFL MVP Shaun Alexander will play in Sunday's conference championship game against Carolina.

The league rushing champion sustained a concussion last Saturday in the first quarter of Seattle's win over Washington. Alexander later said he was unconscious initially and then "out" of it for about 20 minutes.

But Holmgren said Wednesday the All-Pro back will be ready for the Panthers.

"Shaun's full go," the coach said. "He passed some tests we gave him. He participated in our walk-through. He's going to be fine."

Bills interview Sherman

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman interviewed Wednesday with the Buffalo Bills, bringing the team a step closer to hiring its new head coach. Sherman and Detroit Lions interim coach Dick Jauron are considered the front-runners. The team also interviewed Bills special teams coordinator Bobby April.

Around the league

-Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter won't be fined by the NFL for criticizing officials after the Steelers beat Indianapolis. NFL coaches are subject to fines for criticizing officials, but players usually aren't fined.

-The San Diego Chargers fired offensive line coach Carl Mauck and assistant secondary coach Albert Lewis. Each had a year left on his contract.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:25 AM
I hope it's true.

Lock up Solari NOW.

Hog Farmer
01-19-2006, 09:26 AM
If Saunders is destined to leave, this is great news as long as Solari doesnt follow him.

Duck Dog
01-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I hope it's true. I really would not enjoy hating AS.

Chiefnj
01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Pretty interesting. It comes out of left field, but it sort of makes sense. Snyder isn't shy about throwing his own money around. After the Skins O went in the tank in the postseason, the move would make a lot of sense. Chief fans better hope Snyder doesn't want Solari to be the Skins OL coach.

chefsos
01-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Extremeskins is talking about it; this story is quoted.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3416692

"..Saunders, the first person to be interviewed Jan.11, was scheduled to meet with the Washington Redskins today for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said..."

It would appear that Lattimer just owned me. :)

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
If Saunders is destined to leave, this is great news as long as Solari doesnt follow him.

Yep.

Get Solari locked up and move on.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Is Boal reporting this as a done deal, or just something along the lines that Snyder is prepared to offer Saunders x amount of dollars?

chief52
01-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Is Boal reporting this as a done deal, or just something along the lines that Snyder is prepared to offer Saunders x amount of dollars?

He did say it was not confirmed, but something to the effect that it looked like the Redskins were going to hire him and the Redskins were offering him more to be their OC than the Raiders were to be head coach.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Someone changed the thread title from "News" to "Rumor". That's fine. I guess it's not confirmed yet. I'm all about accuracy. Thanks

Dunit35
01-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I still wish Al would have stayed.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 09:50 AM
We did that just to clear up confusion.

chefsos
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
KFFL quotes the Oakland Tribune, but it looks like its pulled fron the same story that's quoted above.

Redskins | Team meeting with Saunders Thursday
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:46:58 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was scheduled to meet with the Washington Redskins Thursday, Jan, 19, for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said. Saunders could receive an offer from the deep pockets of Washington owner Daniel Snyder that would exceed what he could make as the Oakland Raiders head coach.

RedThat
01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I recall the other day Frank Boal said Al Saunders accepted the head coaching job in Oakland. Oh wait, now he is going to be the offensive coordinator in Washington?

Oh wait .....Wrong-duh Moss is saying this too :rolleyes:

*Im getting the impression that these people clearly base their reports on speculation rather than facts. I don't believe it till I see it from a creditable source.

penchief
01-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Yep.

Get Solari locked up and move on.

Yep. Solari could turn out to be a find. Looking at his coaching track record and looking at all of the coaches that have cut their teeth with the Chiefs only to become successful head coaches elsewhere, I'd say it's a risk worth taking.

Everything on offense is going to evolve around LJ running the ball. Solari already does that. He already does pass protection. He's coached pass-catching tight ends for SanFran. He has the resume and a record of success. We just might have a rising star in our midst.

I don't think we'd miss a beat on offense if Solari took over.

Dave Lane
01-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Damn oh well I have an NFC team to root for now...

Dave

Fish
01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
This might not be such a bad thing.... I'm fine with it as long as we snag Solari..............

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 10:35 AM
i don't blame Saunders for taking the money but i don't think it's a great career move since Gregg williams has already been promised the head coaching job apparently.

Saunders is setting himself up to be pass over again.

but it's a high profile position so maybe he can up his worth. He's got the talent in washington.

gotta give snyder credit ... he wants to win and will try whatever it takes.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 10:37 AM
i don't blame Saunders for taking the money but i don't think it's a great career move since Gregg williams has already been promised the head coaching job apparently.

but it's a high profile position so maybe he can up his worth. He's got the talent in washington.

Nope. He's not getting the credit here for whatever. If he turns the 'Skins into a juggernaut, he can have just about any opening he wants next year.

Alton deFlat
01-19-2006, 10:38 AM

They did mention on WHB that, Williams' contract states that if he is offered a heading coaching job elsewhere, he can opt out of his current contract.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
<A name=288498>Redskins | Saunders named offensive coordinator
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0800Adam Teicher (http://www.kffl.com/link/143), of the Kansas City Star (http://www.kffl.com/link/142), reports former Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) offensive coordinator Al Saunders (http://www.kffl.com/player/7811/nfl) has been named offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins (http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl), Tuesday, Jan. 19. Terms of the contract have not yet been disclosed.

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Well thats that....glad he didnt go to oakland. washington has major potential now!

RedThat
Well, it appears as if it's a done deal. Teicher is reporting it as done.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw

*May want to change the title of this thread? Im gonna check with other sources as well.

morphius
Sweet! The only thing I was worried about with him going to Oakland is that he knew our O inside and out, this way we only have to worry about him for another 3 years and by then there will be so much change he will not recognize us.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Well thats that....glad he didnt go to oakland. washington has major potential now!
yeppers...

a good,young offensive line ... a good RB and a veteran QB that's smart enough to run Saunder's offense.

he's even got santana moss

i'd expect the washington's offense to be a much improved next year.

PastorMikH
01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Frank Boal is reporting that Washington is going to pay Al Saunder more as an OC, than the Raiders were offering for HC.

So who said it wasn't about the money?

Also, if this is a done deal, I am glad Al's not going to the Raiders. Not because we'd have to face him, but I'd hate to see him take a chance of killing his career in Oakland.

Ari Chi3fs
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
man, I think I like the Redskins now... they will definitely be my favorite NFC.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
So who said it wasn't about the money?

Also, if this is a done deal, I am glad Al's not going to the Raiders. Not because we'd have to face him, but I'd hate to see him take a chance of killing his career in Oakland.
this is about both .... the money and increasing his profile in the league.

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
If he can turn around the redskins pathetic scoring offense that will def. make it easier for him to get a HC job elsewhere.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Say what you want about Dan Synder, but he's assembled a real coaching dream team.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Say what you want about Dan Synder, but he's assembled a real coaching dream team.

It's unbelievable. Two best coordinators in the business, plus Gibbs as HC.

chefsos
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13663235.htm

Saunders will become Washington’s offensive coordinator

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Al Saunders’ five-year run as Chiefs offensive coordinator officially came to an end this morning when he accepted the same position with Washington’s NFL team.

Saunders, 58, interviewed this month for head coaching vacancies with five NFL teams, including the Chiefs. But four had chosen other candidates.

The fifth, the Raiders, remained interested in hiring Saunders, but he may have been scared off by Oakland’s habit of running through head coaches.

Details of Saunders’ contract were not immediately known, but Washington pays its assistant coaches as well as or better than most NFL teams. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams recently signed a three-year extension worth a reported $8 million.

A formal announcement of Saunders’ hiring may not come until next week.

New Chiefs coach Herm Edwards had appeared interested in retaining Saunders as offensive coordinator. With that option gone, he may turn to offensive-line coach Mike Solari.

Solari, 51, joined the Chiefs in 1997 and has built a reputation as one of the NFL’s best line coaches.

Sybil
01-19-2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13663235.htm

Saunders will become Washington’s offensive coordinator

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Al Saunders’ five-year run as Chiefs offensive coordinator officially came to an end this morning when he accepted the same position with Washington’s NFL team.

Saunders, 58, interviewed this month for head coaching vacancies with five NFL teams, including the Chiefs. But four had chosen other candidates.

The fifth, the Raiders, remained interested in hiring Saunders, but he may have been scared off by Oakland’s habit of running through head coaches.

Details of Saunders’ contract were not immediately known, but Washington pays its assistant coaches as well as or better than most NFL teams. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams recently signed a three-year extension worth a reported $8 million.

A formal announcement of Saunders’ hiring may not come until next week.

New Chiefs coach Herm Edwards had appeared interested in retaining Saunders as offensive coordinator. With that option gone, he may turn to offensive-line coach Mike Solari.

Solari, 51, joined the Chiefs in 1997 and has built a reputation as one of the NFL’s best line coaches.

Too bad for the Chiefs; good luck to Al. Let's hope Solari is signed quickly.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
i don't cheer for any team but the chiefs ..... now i'm thinking of changing that.

i've even seen some segments that explain about Clinton Portis ... makes him seem like not that big of an ass.

he's goofy as hell ... but not a jerk like i thought after the championship belt thing. He wears all sorts of crap ... just being a dumbass and having fun.

Doesn't look as malicious as before.

when you're not playing the chiefs Go washington?!? :hmmm:

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
The people on the Skins board think they are still going to run the Gibbs offense.

Why would they pay Saunders to run Gibbs offense?

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:14 AM
The people on the Skins board think they are still going to run the Gibbs offense.

that doesn't make much sense

Especially since washington's two biggest weapons(Clinton portis,santana moss) fit Saunder's offense almost perfectly.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 11:14 AM

The Gibbs offense is just a run-oriented version of Air Coryell. Same basic offense.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Thank the lord

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13663235.htm (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13663235.htm)

the Talking Can
01-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Good move by AS. Washington is high profile. He turns that O around and he'll get a job just like Marvin Lewis.

Good for us because AS is leaving the AFC West. And we have a seemingly perfect apprentice in Solari.

Good for everyone that the Raiders will end up with another retread loser coach.

As stated by someone else, I'll be a little bit of a Redskins fan next year.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Thank the lord
see ... even the donkeys didn't want saunders to stay in the AFC west.

saunders with Moss and porter

saunders staying in kc

they want him gone

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 11:23 AM
We did that just to clear up confusion. No problem.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, it appears as if it's a done deal. Teicher is reporting it as done.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw

*May want to change the title of this thread? Im gonna check with other sources as well. Right. It probably should be changed back to "Breaking News". Whatever.

MOhillbilly
01-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Bitchin- now get a new QB and theyre set.

Seek
01-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Redskins | Saunders named offensive coordinator
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders has been named offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins, Thursday, Jan. 19. Terms of the contract have not yet been disclosed.

sedated
01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
What a load of sh!t.

I was fine with him leaving to become a HC,

but to leave and stay an OC?

what the hell is wrong with Carl, Herm, and this regime?

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Ill definetly keep an eye on washington next season as well. their O was so boring this year.

Seek
01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
What a load of sh!t.

It is highly possible that CP burned a bridge when he hired Herm over Saunders. If you just got slapped in the face by your boss, and someone was offering you more money to leave, wouldn't you.

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I think it wouldve made it a mistake to comeback for Al long term, Carl pretty much slapped him in the face cause Al was supposed to be the successor.

the Talking Can
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
What a load of sh!t.

Unlike Gunther, AS has some pride. He was never coming back to KC as anything other than the head coach.

A perfectly reasonable position.

Bob Dole
01-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Also reported by John Clayton at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2298365

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow. Over 2 million a year for a coordinator.

Good luck Al, but I won't be rooting for the Redskins.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 11:42 AM
What a load of sh!t.

It has nothing to do with Herm.

It has everything to do with Carl Peterson and money.

He wasn't putting his tail between his legs and coming back like Gunther. He's also being paid over 2 million a year.

He doubled his money. Not a bad move for Al.

Rain Man
01-19-2006, 11:42 AM
This is a major bummer. I don't blame Al for leaving, but this is a major bummer.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Unlike Gunther, AS has some pride. He was never coming back to KC as anything other than the head coach.

A perfectly reasonable position.

Also, what did 5 years of having the best offense in the league get him? One lousy offer from Al Davis? If he turns around the skins, I'll guarantee he'll have offers next year. Al would have been a fool to stay here.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Right. It probably should be changed back to "Breaking News". Whatever.

Wow! That was fast.

Confirmed: Saunders to Washington, not Oakland........

jspchief
01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
If Saunders implements the zone blocking scheme that he used with Priest, Portis is going to tear shit up.

Also Ironic that Saunders get's his precious H-back in Chris Cooley, a guy drafted a full round later than our bum Kris Wilson.

TEX
01-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I think it wouldve made it a mistake to comeback for Al long term, Carl pretty much slapped him in the face cause Al was supposed to be the successor.

Really? Was this ever confirmed or is it simply strong speculation. I know that D.V. recommended Al, but I never heard anything about Carl saying that was the way things would be.

Having said that, I still don't understand what the big deal is with Herm Edwards. I'd much rather have Al as the HC as it is likely that he was one of the best coaches the Chiefs have ever had, and he had a long history with the organization.

It seems lost somewhere was the notion to keep the offense humming and continue to work on improving the defense. Now, I guess the thinking will be to work on defense at the expense of losing some offense. IMO, the Chiefs have lost more than a little offense with the departure of Al.

C-Mac
01-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I wonder how the Detroit fans feel about losing there head coach twice in one year.

Seek
01-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow. Over 2 million a year for a coordinator.

Good luck Al, but I won't be rooting for the Redskins.

He was making over 2 million as the Chiefs OC.

John_Wayne
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
If Saunders implements the zone blocking scheme that he used with Priest, Portis is going to tear shit up.

Also Ironic that Saunders get's his precious H-back in Chris Cooley, a guy drafted a full round later than our bum Kris Wilson. I was thinking the same thing about Cooley.

Frosty
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
So much for Al wanting power more than money.

DaWolf
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Good luck to Al Saunders, hope it works out for him.

I think it'll work out for us too. Frankly, we've got the tools to continue being a winning offense, and I think there was friction between Saunders and our two biggest playmakers on the team, LJ and Gonzo, as both expressed displeasure with Saunders this year and before. Another reason Carl probably wasn't too hot on keeping him.

We'll be fine...

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Wrong.

He was making a million a year.

tk13
01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Pretty good move for Al, I was just thinking yesterday that I was surprised Dan Snyder hadn't made a move on an offensive coach after their playoff performance.

I don't like the fact that he has the money to get whatever he wants though. One of these days he's gonna lead to the destruction of the NFL as we know it.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Really? Was this ever confirmed or is it simply strong speculation. I know that D.V. recommended Al, but I never heard anything about Carl saying that was the way things would be.

Having said that, I still don't understand what the big deal is with Herm Edwards. I'd much rather have Al as the HC as it is likely that he was one of the best coaches the Chiefs have ever had, and he had a long history with the organization.

It seems lost somewhere was the notion to keep the offense humming and continue to work on improving the defense. Now, I guess the thinking will be to work on defense at the expense of losing some offense. IMO, the Chiefs have lost more than a little offense with the departure of Al.

I met Saunders' son about the 4th week of the 03 season. He said that his dad knew then that Carl would never hire him despite Vermeil's recommendation.

This was about 3 months before they signed the extension to stay for another 2 years.

TEX
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Wrong.

He was making a million a year.

I also head that he was making $2million per year. I believe he signed that deal when he turned down Oakland the first time after the "03 season.

the Talking Can
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Good luck to Al Saunders, hope it works out for him.

I think it'll work out for us too. Frankly, we've got the tools to continue being a winning offense, and I think there was friction between Saunders and our two biggest playmakers on the team, LJ and Gonzo, as both expressed displeasure with Saunders this year and before. Another reason Carl probably wasn't too hot on keeping him.

We'll be fine...

Petro on 810 said today that he'd heard of Chiefs players who didn't get along with AS. I don't know, though, every coach has players who don't like him.

Bottom line, our offensive production is more important than Gonzo's stats. But, between LJ and Gonzo you have the foundation of a strong offense. I bet they are both excited to have someone new.

Brock
01-19-2006, 12:01 PM

Let me guess - the stats are wrong this time also.

rcloud02
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
damn you al....damn you carl for letting him go....solari you better kick some ass

Brock
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I also head that he was making $2million per year. I believe he signed that deal when he turned down Oakland the first time after the "03 season.

You heard wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1711127

MOhillbilly
01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Pretty good move for Al, I was just thinking yesterday that I was surprised Dan Snyder hadn't made a move on an offensive coach after their playoff performance.

I don't like the fact that he has the money to get whatever he wants though. One of these days he's gonna lead to the destruction of the NFL as we know it.

I bet if he owned the Chiefs you wouldnt think that.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 12:10 PM
So much for Al wanting power more than money.
not really .... he's trying to get both.

he couldn't get a decent HC offer so he went to a place where he can improve his league stock so that he can get more HC offers in the future.

tk13
01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I bet if he owned the Chiefs you wouldnt think that.
As a Royals fan, I think yes, I probably would.

TEX
01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
You heard wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1711127

Thanks, obviously I did. I bet it won't be the last time.

I alo heard the Chiefs signed Kendrell Bell last year? Did I hear that one correctly?

Brock
01-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks, obviously I did. I bet it won't be the last time.

I alo heard the Chiefs signed Kendrell Bell last year? Did I hear that one correctly?

Stop spreading rumors.

Mike in SW-MO
01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
What a load of sh!t.

Al wants to be a head coach.

Carl wants someone else.

Al shops elsewhere and the only team that wants him right now is the Raiders. Al being a smart guy doesn't want to go to Oakland.

The question is, can he do anymore at Kansas City to improve his stock as a coach to become a head coach. After the years of dominance he brought to the Chiefs offense, it's hard to imagine he could improve his stock no matter how well he does.

And this offense is getting older. The next few years will likely see this offens begin to slide. Hate to be the guy presiding over a declining offense and trying to get a head coaching job.

He has a dead end career here. He gets to go make more money, possibly improve his resume, and work with a bunch of young guys.

Hard to fault his reasoning.

chop
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Redskins | Saunders named offensive coordinator
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders has been named offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins, Thursday, Jan. 19. Terms of the contract have not yet been disclosed.

ptlyon
01-19-2006, 12:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2298365

AirForceChief
01-19-2006, 01:05 PM
But AS knows he won't be the head coach in DC, that goes to the incumbant defensive coordinator who signed the big $$ extension (just waiting for Gibbs to hang 'em up)...so why go there?

Seek
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Let me guess - the stats are wrong this time also.

I wouldn't know this for a fact, because I never saw it with my own eyes, but what I have heard is that two years ago, the Chiefs made Al Saunders the highest paid assistant over 2 million a year to keep in KC and away from Al Davis.

I see that you posted a source. I must have heard that one from WPI.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 01:19 PM
SO who is he going to get to command his offense there? 86 year old Mark Brunell???? Portis should thrive in it though.

philfree
01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds like we need to get Solari signed as OC and sign the OL coach from the Rams in a hurry.

PhilFree:arrow:

Brock
01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
SO who is he going to get to command his offense there? 86 year old Mark Brunell???? Portis should thrive in it though.

Maybe they're going to let Jason Campbell play.

KCChiefsMan
01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
damnit! :banghead: :banghead:

I wonder who we'll get now

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
damnit! :banghead: :banghead:

I wonder who we'll get now

Lets all hail Paul Hackett back to KC! After all, he was the O-coordinator when the Chiefs last won a playoff game!

chefsos
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
There are 16 Saunders threads on the front page at Extremeskins. Finding this was hazardous, as I had to avoid getting splooged.

Carry on.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Is Solari going with him?

King_Chief_Fan
01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Sounds like we need to get Solari signed as OC and sign the OL coach from the Rams in a hurry.

PhilFree:arrow:

You don't want the Rams OL coach. Have you seen any Rams games.
The line is pathetic. Jackson had no place to run and Bulger got his ass knocked off and didn't play for half the season.

Extra Point
01-19-2006, 03:13 PM
GO HOGS!!!