PDA

View Full Version : Solari and Peter

Line Judge
01-19-2006, 10:25 PM
The Peter Principal says that people are promoted in the workforce until they finally reach a job in which they are incompetent. Most good OCs were promoted from position coaches so we know that it can be done. Even though Solari might be good at teaching, motavating, planning, scheming etc. does it necessary follow that he is capable of quality real time decisions? When he is in the booth during a game can he make the correct call time after time when he has only seconds or minutes to decide?

Is there OC work in his background in San Fran, Phoenix, Dallas or college? Does anyone out there know from firsthand observations if he is capable of filling Al's shoes.

A positive response would make me feel better.

doomy3
01-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't know about that, but I do know that Vermeil said several times after games that in crucial situations, he asked Al and Mike what play they felt good about. Solari was always in the equation when big decisions were made. So at least we know he has had input inside game situations, and probably a fair amount of playcalling on running downs.

Simplex3
01-19-2006, 10:34 PM
People are promoted to the level of their incompetence in large organizations. They are moved up the ladder into middle management until their inability to do the work no longer matters.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that a sports team emulates a small company, usually run with more efficiency and with promotions based on merit.

As for "will Solari be any good". Nobody knows. However, the only way to find out is to give him a shot at it. If Herm is cool with him that's what matters.

The Bad Guy
01-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure he was an OC for the Pitt Panthers.

He also coordinated the running game every week.

FAX
01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I like the choice. Particularly considering the fact that Al was likely leaving the team.

My greatest concern throughout all of this was that the offense would be significantly changed. That was, frankly, an almost unbearable thought.

FAX

tk13
01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Same thing with any other position coach. Somebody had to give Al Saunders a shot at OC to find he was competent at it, just like somebody had to give Belichick a shot at being a DC, and so on. Only one way to find out.

keg in kc
01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure he was an OC for the Pitt Panthers.I believe what I heard/read is that he was OC for Pitt, but only for one year. '86 or something like that.

pr_capone
01-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Solari's resume

He served as the offensive line coach for the Phoenix Cardinals in 89 and held the same capacity for two seasons at Alabama before joining the 49ers in 92. He began his coaching career at Mission Bay (Cal.) High School in 76, followed by stints at Mira Costa Junior College (78) and U.S. International (79). In 80, he helped lead Boise State to the NCAA Division I-AA championship. After stints at the University of Cincinnati (81-82) and Kansas (83-85), Solari spent one season as the offensive coordinator at Pitt (86).

TinyEvel
01-20-2006, 01:42 AM
If Solari had anthing to do with calling "The Dive"
then he's got my vote.

Anyong Bluth
01-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Solari called the dive - DV asked Mike what the best running play was they went with it.

DaWolf
01-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Al Saunders was the wide recievers coach for 10+ years, and not even the Lambs wanted him as their OC. Worked out fine for him...

King_Chief_Fan
01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Same thing with any other position coach. Somebody had to give Al Saunders a shot at OC to find he was competent at it, just like somebody had to give Belichick a shot at being a DC, and so on. Only one way to find out.

I am fairly certain he will get only 1 year to show it. A major drop off of offense will send him to the unemployment line. I trust he knows what he is doing and getting into. We will be reviewing in about.....12 months??

KC Jones
01-20-2006, 06:35 AM
I am fairly certain he will get only 1 year to show it. A major drop off of offense will send him to the unemployment line. I trust he knows what he is doing and getting into. We will be reviewing in about.....12 months??

This last year the offense wasn't exactly it's old self. We had a much smaller percentage of TDs in the Red Zone. The line is long in the tooth and Johnson is a different type of back than Holmes. This offense wouldn't continue to produce at the same levels of previous years even if Saunders were still here.

huskerdooz
01-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Most good OCs were promoted from position coaches so we know that it can be done.

Most????

How about all. If they weren't promoted from a position coach, then where were they promoted from? The street?

Al Saunders was a WR coach with the Chiefs and Rams before he became the Chiefs OC. Mike Martz was the QB coach in WASH before Dick hired him to be the OC in STL. Mike Heimerdinger (sp) was (I believe) the QB coach in DEN before Fisher hired him to be TENN OC.

Furthermore Solari was actually considered the Rushing Coordinator as well as the OL Coach.

NewChief
01-20-2006, 07:22 AM
These are some of my concerns as well. What I -do- like about the promotion is that this might keep Shields around another year.

Fish
01-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Does anyone out there know from firsthand observations if he is capable of filling Al's shoes.

A positive response would make me feel better.

Well........ He did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend........................

scooter
01-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Peter Solari...I loved him in Bosom Buddies

http://www.nndb.com/people/389/000025314/peter-scolari-sm.jpg http://members.ozemail.com.au/~peterv/bb/bb4.jpg
Oh wait...that's Peter SCOLARI....my bad....as you were.

redhed
01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
He was awesome in "Bosom Buddies".

redhed
01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Dangit scoot!
Gotta read the thread!