PDA

View Full Version : Which American President Said The Following?

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:39 AM
I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races [applause]--that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people, and I will say in addition to this that there is physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior. I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say, upon the occasion, I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the black should be denied everything.

jspchief
01-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Kanye West: "George W. Bush"

Katipan
01-20-2006, 12:43 AM
"I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

I can't stop laughing at this part.

DaneMcCloud
The President that didn't wash his legs his entire term in office - what was his name again?

Donger
Kanye West: "George W. Bush"

ROFL

But for da serious, I was surprised.

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
The President that didn't wash his legs his entire term in office - what was his name again?

That was Clinton. And it wasn't his legs.

Phobia
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Jefferson?

Phobia
01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Lincoln?

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Jefferson?

No.

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Lincoln?

Yes. Color me surprised. Aha.

He apparently had grand plans of shipping all the freed slaves off to Africa or South America, as he did not believe that black and white could live together in harmony.

I guess he never heard of McCartney and that blind, black guy.

SNR
01-20-2006, 12:52 AM

He apparently had grand plans of shipping all the freed slaves off to Africa or South America, as he did not believe that black and white could live together in harmony.

I guess he never heard of McCartney and that blind, black guy.Ray Charles?

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Ray Charles?

No. The other one.

SNR
01-20-2006, 12:55 AM
No. The other one.Duke Ellington was blind?

Dave Lane
01-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Lincoln once said and I'm paraphrasing

If i could have freed the slaves and saved the Union I would have done it.

If I could have not freed the slaves and saved the Union I would have done that.

Dave

Donger
01-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Duke Ellington was blind?

No. The other one.

Donger
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM

If I could have not freed the slaves and saved the Union I would have done that.

Dave

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free

Dave Lane
01-20-2006, 01:01 AM
I give him the most solemn pledge that I will to the very last stand by the law of this State which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes.

-A Lincoln

Phobia
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM

I guess he never heard of McCartney and that blind, black guy.
Johnny Grier

greg63
01-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Lincoln?

That is what I was thinking. Many people believe that it was a since of social justice that kept slavery out of the north, however, it is now commonly acknowledged that it was actually racism.

Mr. Kotter
01-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Surprisingly, it's Lincoln.

Mr. Kotter
01-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Lincoln?

Holy crap. Beat by Phil..... :shake:

Heh. That's what I get for refilling my beverage.

Anywho, Lincoln was not nearly as "progressive minded" and "negro friendly" as history often seems to recall. Although, morally opposed to slavery, Lincoln's position was much more pragmatic, and less idealistic, than many seem to "remember." He was the person with whom the whole notion of "Liberia" actually gained political currency....and became a serious topic of discussion. The right to vote and "equality" for blacks were far, far from his mind at the time.

greg63
01-20-2006, 01:27 AM
I got one for ya. Which US President said this?

“And still the question, "What shall be done with our ex-Presidents?" is not laid at rest; and I sometimes think Watterson's solution of it, "Take them out and shoot them," is worthy of attention”

Phobia
01-20-2006, 01:31 AM
You know what is wrong with this Lincoln quote?

This quote was never even on anybody's radar until women were given rights. All the men always acknowledged Lincoln as a civil rights pioneer because he helped to free the slaves. Lincoln was revilled by men. His image was placed on currency.

Have you ever had your wife ask you to do something? We all have. Then when you finally get around to doing it, she bitches about how you got it done, right? You know I'm not lying.

Same damn premise.

Lincoln helped to free the slaves. Great man.

But NOOOOOOOOOO -- he once said something disparraging about black folks. Damn women and their equal rights shit. Had we kept them where the belonged, Lincoln would still be an American Icon. Who the hell freed the women?

Demonpenz
01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
as a great poet once said. Who indeed let the dogs out. Wolf Wolf Wolf

greg63
01-20-2006, 01:35 AM
You know what is wrong with this Lincoln quote?

This quote was never even on anybody's radar until women were given rights. All the men always acknowledged Lincoln as a civil rights pioneer because he helped to free the slaves. Lincoln was revilled by men. His image was placed on currency.

Have you ever had your wife ask you to do something? We all have. Then when you finally get around to doing it, she bitches about how you got it done, right? You know I'm not lying.

Same damn premise.

Lincoln helped to free the slaves. Great man.

But NOOOOOOOOOO -- he once said something disparraging about black folks. Damn women and their equal rights shit. Had we kept them where the belonged, Lincoln would still be an American Icon. Who the hell freed the women?

Helen Reddy :p

Skip Towne
01-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Stevie Wonder?

greg63
01-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Stevie Wonder?

Yup!

Inspector
01-20-2006, 07:13 AM
One of the presidents said:

"Hey, bring me another roll of toilet paper, and hurry!"

tiptap
01-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Do you think A. Lincoln would be elected, 1st or 2nd term if he stated publicly a more liberal understanding.

Sounds like political posturing. After all if he had only the union as his goal he would not have been such a grand orator for ending slaverly at the head of the republican party.

And yes, in entire world each society believed their culture was supreme, their race was superior.

It is a 20/21 century continuing experiment to look beyond the form of someone and see their contribution.

Bob Dole
01-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Abe Lincoln was no Mike Jones.

Bootlegged
01-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Gina Davis while a 10 yo girl told her how she was now inspired to become president?

beavis
01-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Sounds like political posturing. After all if he had only the union as his goal he would not have been such a grand orator for ending slaverly at the head of the republican party.
Maybe. It seems a little contradictory that he would say this after some of the ideas he had earlier in life.

I don't know if I would classify Lincoln as a "grand orator". At least not in the context it would have been applied in his time.

Anybody watch that thing on the History Channel earlier this week? I just caught the last hour of it, but it looked pretty good.

ct
01-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Honest Ab

Frankie
01-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Abraham Lincoln

Frankie
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Holy crap. Beat by Phil..... :shake:
Holy crap. Beat by Phil and some teacher..... :shake:

Extra Point
01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
The guys at the piano were really Steven Douglas and Marcus Garvey.

Who but Morgan Freeman, though not blind, said that the concept of a Black History Month is "ridiculous?" "Black history is American History." His idea of not identifying someone by race is really where it's at. The "dream" can't become a reality so long as we segregate associations.

Some people are freaking out because there is inadequate funding for a MLK memorial, that the NAACP and the UNCF are not funded enough. What about just funding the three "R's" and just applying the constitution (specifically, the preamble) in its base form?

The experiment continues......

Adept Havelock
01-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Dave

Lincoln always was a pragmatist.

CoMoChief
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Pat Buchanon? Wait, damnit you said US President.

chagrin
01-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Who is the other one?

"I am, and this is my companion Patsy."

CoMoChief
01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Gina Davis while a 10 yo girl told her how she was now inspired to become president?

Gina Davis - "I am going to run this government."

:LOL: