PDA

View Full Version : What players will Herm bring to KC from the Jets?

John_Wayne
01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
It's common for a coach to sign players from his former team. Vermiel did it. Gunther brought over a couple players. I don't know if Marty did it, but I would bet that he did. Who do you think Herm has a chance at whooing to KC?

NewChief
01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Ty Law is the obvious one that's been thrown around a bunch.

greg63
01-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh, I know Derrick Blaylock. :p :D

kc rush
01-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Abraham

melbar
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Law and Abraham are both UFA's this year , who else is available? :shrug:

MVChiefFan
01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
The Jets will probably franchise Abraham again. I will be pissed as all to be damned if they do. There should be a limit to how many times you can franchise the same player. Of course if the Chiefs were in the same position I would probably think differently. If we do sign him by some miracle and don't sign anyone else I will still consider it a successful off-season. We need him in the worst way!

Saulbadguy
01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Chad Pennington!

C-Mac
01-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Yesteverde?

PastorMikH
01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Oh, I know Derrick Blaylock. :p :D

In all seriousness, if Priest doesn't come back, I wouldn't be upset with Blaylock coming back. He showed a lot of potential, but when you have Holmes and a kid that you used a first round pick on and paying him millions, he's going to play. Blaylock was odd man out.

I'd rather have him backing up LJ than Dee Brown.

John_Wayne
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Ty Law is the obvious one that's been thrown around a bunch. I don't think Ty Law is as desired this season as he was last season, but you're right, no one would complain if we could sign him. From what I've heard he'll cost a bundle.

Mojo Rising
01-20-2006, 09:02 AM
In Nov./Dec. I read that they won't franchise Abraham again. They got tired of his maoning about wanting more money. I think Edwards read the article too and used it as an exit strategy as well.

jspchief
01-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Law and Abraham are both UFA's this year , who else is available? :shrug:Law isn't a UFA. He's under contract. There's a good chance he'll be cut rather than get the big raise he's entitled to, but as of right now he's not a FA.

The rest of the Jets FAs are nothing to get excited about :
Chris Baker -TE
Jonathon Goodwin - G
Scott Gragg - T
James Reed - DT
Vinny - QB
Kenyatta Wright - LB

Wile_E_Coyote
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't know how accurate this is, but 22 million in the red is not good news for FA prospects

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

htismaqe
01-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know how accurate this is, but 22 million in the red is not good news for FA prospects

It isn't accurate at all.

None of the PROJECTIONS are accurate at this point.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
It isn't accurate at all.

None of the PROJECTIONS are accurate at this point.

I think there is some fire with this smoke. I'm not expecting much in the FA pick ups

CoMoChief
01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't think Ty Law is as desired this season as he was last season, but you're right, no one would complain if we could sign him. From what I've heard he'll cost a bundle.

I'd say he's pretty desired considering our passing defense was shit again this season and not to mention the year Ty Law had in New York. we have Surtain, which makes Law even more desired in my book.

Chiefnj
01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Nobody is going to come to KC because of Herm. They will come to KC if Peterson and Hunt pay them. It's a business.

philfree
01-20-2006, 10:25 AM
If Holmes doesn't come back it would nice for the new regime there to let Blaylock walk so we could bring him back into the fold. He'd be a great compliment to LJ.

PhilFree:arrow:

htismaqe
01-20-2006, 10:46 AM
I think there is some fire with this smoke. I'm not expecting much in the FA pick ups

That "fire" comes in the form of bonuses that count against next year's cap that will never be paid.

The actual cap number for 2006 cannot be calculated at this time.

I'm not expecting much in free agency because it's the off year in our 2-year formula. We're not $22M over the cap.

ChiTown
01-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Like anybody here knows that answer. Come on. You need to go to the expert to find that information out.

"Paging Nick Athan, Mr. Nick Athan. Please come to the ChiefsPlanet front desk. Mr. Nick Athan"

Wile_E_Coyote
01-20-2006, 11:01 AM
That "fire" comes in the form of bonuses that count against next year's cap that will never be paid.

The actual cap number for 2006 cannot be calculated at this time.

I'm not expecting much in free agency because it's the off year in our 2-year formula. We're not $22M over the cap.

Carl had one hell of a off season, can't see him doing much this one. & he won't mortgage the future, he's always in it

greg63
01-21-2006, 01:24 AM
In all seriousness, if Priest doesn't come back, I wouldn't be upset with Blaylock coming back. He showed a lot of potential, but when you have Holmes and a kid that you used a first round pick on and paying him millions, he's going to play. Blaylock was odd man out.

I'd rather have him backing up LJ than Dee Brown.

Yeah, I actually thought the same thing after I posted.

Mojo Rising
01-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Is Blaylock a FA? I would take him back but I doubt he signed a 1 year contract last year.

I don't think Abraham is the answer. He would play the position Allen plays. Abraham is much better than Allen, but our weakness on the D line is at the Left DE (bigger) and DT. It would be convenient for Abraham to come to KC but it doesn't address our glaring need for pressure on the QB from the other 3 DL positions.

I have heard rumors of Vincent and Law for our D also. It would be nice to move Warfield to Safety and dump Wesley but the money needs to be spent on D line and WR.

Without Saunders and a heavy reliance on the run we are going to need talent at the WR position to make up for the advantage that Saunders gave our passing game.

PHOG
01-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Is Blaylock a FA? I would take him back but I doubt he signed a 1 year contract last year.

I don't think Abraham is the answer. He would play the position Allen plays. Abraham is much better than Allen, but our weakness on the D line is at the Left DE (bigger) and DT. It would be convenient for Abraham to come to KC but it doesn't address our glaring need for pressure on the QB from the other 3 DL positions.

I have heard rumors of Vincent and Law for our D also. It would be nice to move Warfield to Safety and dump Wesley but the money needs to be spent on D line and WR.

Without Saunders and a heavy reliance on the run we are going to need talent at the WR position to make up for the advantage that Saunders gave our passing game.

I guess I'm not quite getting it. (Big surprise) Since Saunders decided to leave, we all of a sudden won't know how to pass the ball? We/Chiefs don't have a playbook, have to start from scratch? The offense will look like a backyard pickup game with the neighborhood kids?

I would think that Solari has a few ideas of his own, may they be good or bad, I don't know. But to think that all of a sudden, this offense is going to just lay down and roll over is a bit far fetched. JMO

Solari's been around for what, 9 years I believe IIRC, and he surely has been taking notes on what works and how it works, and what doesn't work so well also.

Would it be an advantage to upgrade at WR? Sure. But I also think we have talent at the WR position that can be utilized better than the talent that we have at DT/LDE. And sooner or later, we're going to HAVE to address the all important L-OT position.

Sorry, I was rambling. :)

rtmike
01-21-2006, 11:22 AM
I read where Abraham was livid about not being tagged again.
He's the only one I'd like to see jump ship. Law's a cancer, and Blaylock had our O-Line making him, an average back, look better than he actually was.
IMO.

Bowser
01-21-2006, 11:58 AM
"They're all TURDBIRDS!"

CosmicPal
01-21-2006, 11:58 AM
The rest of the Jets FAs are nothing to get excited about :
Chris Baker -TE

Baker would be better than Kris Wilson. Time is sooner than later we will need a replacement for Gonzo. Baker had a moster game against us, and he had a couple of good games since. Of course, like most TE's, he didn't do jack in between. Nonetheless, he'd be a better addition than Wilson.

Buzzsaw
01-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Ty Law's due an $11 million roster bonus if he's still on the Jets on March 1st. 99% chance he'll be cut. The Jets could still try to resign him with a new deal, but he came to play for Herm -- he's got no ties to us now.

He an EXCELLENT year IMO. 10 INT's and didn't get burned for a TD the entire season. I don't think too many CB's can say they didn't get burned once the entire season. He had some costly PI penalties, but that's his game. You take the good with the bad.

He's going to want a big payday though, as this will probably be his last big contract. And he's earned it. He'd be a great fit in KC.

I don't see us letting Abraham walk. He'll either be offered a long-term deal or be slapped with the franchise tag again. There's a possibility that he'll be tagged and traded as well.

Other than those two, there aren't any other Jet <impact> players that will be UFA's.

Coach
01-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see Law coming up to the KC Chiefs, considering that the Chiefs are some $28 million over the cap limit (From various reports)

I doubt that the Chiefs will make any big-name additions.

Reaper16
01-21-2006, 02:30 PM
He an EXCELLENT year IMO. 10 INT's and didn't get burned for a TD the entire season. I don't think too many CB's can say they didn't get burned once the entire season. He had some costly PI penalties, but that's his game. You take the good with the bad.

LaDainian Tomlinson sure embarrassed him, though.

huskerdooz
01-21-2006, 03:05 PM

This is before retirements, cuts, reworked contracts, etc.

Dunit35
01-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Yeah, Im thinking there might be a couple cheap pickups. Kind of like a Dalton from the year before last.

brent102fire
01-21-2006, 05:14 PM
The Chiefs need to spend their $ on a few DT's and a DE to replace Hicks. Surtain/Warfield are pretty damn good CB's to have. I don't see the need to waste $ on Ty Law. The problem is the lack of pass rush by the D-line. Get a consistent pass rush and Surtain and Warfield will look even better... :clap:

Halfcan
01-21-2006, 05:29 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson sure embarrassed him, though.
Yep, Tys jock is still on the field.

Why all the talk of making EW a safety? The guy absolutely can't hit or tackle and makes several dumb decisions every game. Time to cut the bastard.

milkman
01-21-2006, 06:21 PM

Why all the talk of making EW a safety? The guy absolutely can't hit or tackle and makes several dumb decisions every game. Time to cut the bastard.

I know it's been said here many times before, but I don't believe it can ever be said often enough.

Your and idiot.

Count Alex's Losses
01-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Eric Warfield can't hit, huh?

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2334/warfield6mg.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't think Ty Law is as desired this season as he was last season, but you're right, no one would complain if we could sign him. From what I've heard he'll cost a bundle.A man's gotta eat.

petegz28
01-21-2006, 08:52 PM
The Chiefs need to spend their $ on a few DT's and a DE to replace Hicks. Surtain/Warfield are pretty damn good CB's to have. I don't see the need to waste $ on Ty Law. The problem is the lack of pass rush by the D-line. Get a consistent pass rush and Surtain and Warfield will look even better... :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rausch
01-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Another big problem is that we have nothing behind either of them.

No depth at CB at all.

Sapp is good in his role (nickelback, blitzing) but I don't know that I'd be all that comfortable with him as a starter. And what else do we have?

McPasson?

Burntee?

We're set at LB. I feel pretty good about our depth there, but our D line and secondary has no depth at all...

jspchief
01-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Another big problem is that we have nothing behind either of them.

No depth at CB at all.

Sapp is good in his role (nickelback, blitzing) but I don't know that I'd be all that comfortable with him as a starter. And what else do we have?

McPasson?

Burntee?

We're set at LB. I feel pretty good about our depth there, but our D line and secondary has no depth at all...Agree on D-line depth. At CB we have Battle returning and hopefully Hodge improving.

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2006, 09:55 PM

That's his natural position he played at Nebraska

Rausch
01-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Agree on D-line depth. At CB we have Battle returning and hopefully Hodge improving.

Battle is coming off a serious injury and Hodge is as good as a rookie.

Question marks don't count as depth. That's when you don't have depth.

Rausch
01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Eric Warfield can't hit, huh?

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2334/warfield6mg.gif (http://imageshack.us)

His tackling was outstanding this year.

And trust me, I won't back a goat opinion uless I honestly think he's somehow stumbled on some truth...

jspchief
01-21-2006, 10:15 PM
That's his natural position he played at NebraskaSo he's played 7 years at CB in the NFL, but we should move him to safety because 2 years in college makes it his "natural" position?

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Why does it have to be Defensive guys? How about Pennington, Laverneous Coles or Justin McCareins???

jspchief
01-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Why does it have to be Defensive guys? How about Pennington, Laverneous Coles or Justin McCareins???None of them are free agents.

And hell no to Pennington.

Rausch
01-21-2006, 10:24 PM
None of them are free agents.

Ditto and Ditto.

Now, Coles would be worth a trade. He's perfect for this offense and a playmaker. Plus, for some reason Peterson can't draft a WR worth a $3it.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Ditto and Ditto.

Now, Coles would be worth a trade. He's perfect for this offense and a playmaker. Plus, for some reason Peterson can't draft a WR worth a $3it.

Very true, Its too bad about SlyMo though, he had alot of potential.

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2006, 10:44 PM
So he's played 7 years at CB in the NFL, but we should move him to safety because 2 years in college makes it his "natural" position?
he's 6'1 210 runs a 4.4 , yep sounds like a safety to me. they convert Bartee back to Safety also, mayde it's not a crazy idea after all.

jspchief
01-21-2006, 10:51 PM
he's 6'1 210 runs a 4.4 , yep sounds like a safety to me. What? Those are pretty common numbers for a CB.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:51 PM

Not even if he brings Paul Hackett with him?? LOL

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2006, 11:01 PM
What? Those are pretty common numbers for a CB.Who are you kidding, those were could numbers a 10-15 years ago. Now, CBs need size and speed (4.2-4.3 speed). The days of bump and run are over, KC needs good corners, not "common" corners. Therefore, KC needs to put the best talent on the field, and put Warfield back to the safety position.

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Who are you kidding, those were could numbers a 10-15 years ago. Now, CBs need size and speed (4.2-4.3 speed). The days of bump and run are over, KC needs good corners, not "common" corners. Therefore, KC needs to put the best talent on the field, and put Warfield back to the safety position.

He'd be a perfect FS.

Let Wesley and Knight fight it out at SS...

jspchief
01-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Who are you kidding, those were could numbers a 10-15 years ago. Now, CBs need size and speed 4.2-4.3 speed. The days of bump and run are over.ROFL 4.2-4.3 speed? You obviously don't have a clue how few guys run a sub 4.4. You also have no idea what the average size of an NFL CB is. A 6-2 CB that runs sub 4.4 Would be a top ten pick in every draft.

No offense, but you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2006, 11:41 PM
ROFL 4.2-4.3 speed? You obviously don't have a clue how few guys run a sub 4.4. You also have no idea what the average size of an NFL CB is. A 6-2 CB that runs sub 4.4 Would be a top ten pick in every draft.

No offense, but you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Look at the top corners, and tell me I'm wrong, and still I stand pat on evaluaton on Warfield. The same comment about knowing "WTF you don't know what your talking about" could be said about your summation.

Mecca
01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Look at the top corners, and tell me I'm wrong, and still I stand pat on evaluaton on Warfield. The same comment about knowing "WTF you don't know what your talking about" could be said about your summation.

No one runs 4.2, Deion Sanders is the only guy that has ever clocked in the 4.2 range. Not to mention most corners stop being corners when they cross 6'1, then they get moved to safety. You said name guys......Ty Law's 5'11, most of the good corners in the league are between 5'10 and 6'1. There are not 6'3 corners with 4.2 speed in the league.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
How tall were Dale Carter and Albert Lewis?? They were both tall lanky types. I would guess they ran in the 4.4 - 4.6 range.

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2006, 11:53 PM
No one runs 4.2, Deion Sanders is the only guy that has ever clocked in the 4.2 range. Not to mention most corners stop being corners when they cross 6'1, then they get moved to safety. You said name guys......Ty Law's 5'11, most of the good corners in the league are between 5'10 and 6'1. There are not 6'3 corners with 4.2 speed in the league.

Champ Baily sub 4.4

Chris McCallister sub 4.4

Nathan Vasher sub 4.4

Carlos Rogers sub 4.4

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:54 PM
How tall were Dale Carter and Albert Lewis?? They were both tall lanky types. I would guess they ran in the 4.4 - 4.6 range.

Dale Carter was fast as hell...

Mecca
01-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Champ Baily sub 4.4

Nathan Vasher sub 4.4

Carlos Rogers sub 4.4

Champ Baileys 5'11, Chris McAllister is 6'1, Nathan Vasher is 5'11 and Carlos Rogers is 6'1..............Where is this 6'3 corner with sub 4.4 speed?

jspchief
01-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Look at the top corners, and tell me I'm wrong, and still I stand pat on evaluaton on Warfield. The same comment about knowing "WTF you don't know what your talking about" could be said about your summation.Who do you consider "top corners"?

Top as in drafted high? Five CBs were taken in the first round of the 2005 draft. None of them were taller than 6'-0". Seven more went in the second round, only one was taller than 6', and most were under 6'.

4.2 forty? I'm not sure anyone has ever run a sub 4.3 in the NFL combine. As for sub 4.4, of the 12 CBs taken in rounds 1 & 2, only one ran a sub 4.4 forty.

So when you say today's NFL CBs need to run sub 4.4, and be taller than 6'-1", you don't know wtf you're talking about. You're wrong. I'm not basing that on opinion, I'm basing it on facts.

If you want to disagree on whether Warfield is suited to play CB, fine. We'll differ in opinion. But when you say he's not suited to play CB because he's too short, or too slow, you are off base.

Mecca
01-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Generally if you get above 6'2 teams don't like to play you at corner. Your quickness and agility isn't as good when you get overly tall.

As far as I know, Deion Sanders is the only guy who ever clocked sub 4.3 in a combine workout.

jspchief
01-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Champ Baily sub 4.4

Nathan Vasher sub 4.4

Carlos Rogers sub 4.4

Carlos Rogers: 4.42 in the 40-yard dash http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/rogers_carlos

Vasher ran like 4.5 or 4.6, that's why he dropped to the 4th round.

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Champ Baileys 5'11, Chris McAllister is 6'1, Nathan Vasher is 5'11 and Carlos Rogers is 6'1..............Where is this 6'3 corner with sub 4.4 speed?

Their isn't one currently, but the one your thinking about is Bobby Taylar 4.38

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Who do you consider "top corners"?

Top as in drafted high? Five CBs were taken in the first round of the 2005 draft. None of them were taller than 6'-0". Seven more went in the second round, only one was taller than 6', and most were under 6'.

4.2 forty? I'm not sure anyone has ever run a sub 4.3 in the NFL combine. As for sub 4.4, of the 12 CBs taken in rounds 1 & 2, only one ran a sub 4.4 forty.

So when you say today's NFL CBs need to run sub 4.4, and be taller than 6'-1", you don't know wtf you're talking about. You're wrong. I'm not basing that on opinion, I'm basing it on facts.

If you want to disagree on whether Warfield is suited to play CB, fine. We'll differ in opinion. But when you say he's not suited to play CB because he's too short, or too slow, you are off base.

I never said taller than 6'1, your putting words my mouth. Yet 6'1 200-205 is the ideal size though

jspchief
01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
I never said taller than 6'1, your putting words my mouth. Yet 6'1 200-205 is the ideal size thoughYou listed Warfield's height at 6'-1" and said it sounded like a safety. Then you said "today's corners need size and speed"

You didn't directly say it, but you sure seemed to imply it.

Regardless, you insinuated that Warfield wasn't suited to play CB because of speed or height. That's bogus.

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/181.html

I like to correct myself Warfied is slower than I thought, and their's a reason why he gets burned often. the guy runs a 4.6

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 12:31 AM
You listed Warfield's height at 6'-1" and said it sounded like a safety. Then you said "today's corners need size and speed"

You didn't directly say it, but you sure seemed to imply it.

"The implied" was the speed aspect of the equation, the size is the prototype standard

Mojo Rising
01-22-2006, 02:08 AM
I guess I'm not quite getting it. (Big surprise) Since Saunders decided to leave, we all of a sudden won't know how to pass the ball? We/Chiefs don't have a playbook, have to start from scratch? The offense will look like a backyard pickup game with the neighborhood kids?

I would think that Solari has a few ideas of his own, may they be good or bad, I don't know. But to think that all of a sudden, this offense is going to just lay down and roll over is a bit far fetched. JMO

Solari's been around for what, 9 years I believe IIRC, and he surely has been taking notes on what works and how it works, and what doesn't work so well also.

Would it be an advantage to upgrade at WR? Sure. But I also think we have talent at the WR position that can be utilized better than the talent that we have at DT/LDE. And sooner or later, we're going to HAVE to address the all important L-OT position.

Sorry, I was rambling. :)

The questions about the pass game come from Edwards conservative style and an OC who has a background in the run game and will rely on Terry Shea for pass game planning. When the pressure is on, our OC is more comfortable with the run game.

We do not have talent at the WR position. EK is near the end of his rope. Parker is a track guy trying to learn to be a WR. He was starting to come around at the end of the season but lacks instincts and has questionable hands.

We had no pressure on the QB in the 2 games that cost us being in the playoffs. The week after we played Dallas Wash destroyed them b/c of pressure on the QB. Dallas had an injury plagued OL and we couldn't take advantage in the 2nd half.

The next week we went to NY and also failed to control the game in the trenches against another injury plagued line. Their geriatric LT even called out our sack specialist prior to the game and outplayed him.

Replacing Roaf will be a problem. One not solved drafting where we do.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
We don't need either Abraham or Law, we already have Knight and Surtain, they are still adjusting to the defense. Herm made it clear in his first press conference he will have a strong defense. I feel the talent is there already on defense, Jared Allen, DJ, Wesley is good when he isn't in trouble with the police. I think we have moew concern on offense, the line is getting old, Trent is old for a qb. I hope in the draft we take offense.

Mecca
01-22-2006, 07:01 AM
This defense isn't talented enough........especially on the Dline. If we don't get some new line players we're gonna rank near the bottom again.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Why was our run defense decent and our pass defense so bad. I agree we can use more talent on the line, but Allen is awesome. He never gives up trying to get to the quarterback, will be really good in upcoming seasons. Carlos Hall is overrated, didn't do anything for us in my eyes. DJ is good, will get better with time.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Both the Dallas and New York games irritated me so bad. Both qb's had all day. How about Toomer's touchdown though?????? His shin touched the ground and the ref called it a touchdown. The ref needs to read the rulebook for the league. Knight was there, he was down by contact. That was an awful call and the head official came on NFL total access and even said the player was down by contact. The loss to the Eagles was terrible too, loudmouth t.o. was not covered, I didn't get it why he was running down the field and getting the seperation on our DB's? Some losses this season to think about.

milkman
01-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Why was our run defense decent and our pass defense so bad. I agree we can use more talent on the line, but Allen is awesome. He never gives up trying to get to the quarterback, will be really good in upcoming seasons. Carlos Hall is overrated, didn't do anything for us in my eyes. DJ is good, will get better with time.

Our run D wasn't as good as the numbers you are looking at.

Parker has posted the numbers before, but our average per carry against is among the lower third in the league, and teams ran the ball fewer times against us than almost every other team.

Our pass defense was so bad because we couldn't apply any pressure on the QB without a blitz, and when we did blitz, we telegraphed it and made it easy for the offense to adjust.

milkman
01-22-2006, 08:46 AM
We don't need either Abraham or Law, we already have Knight and Surtain, they are still adjusting to the defense. Herm made it clear in his first press conference he will have a strong defense. I feel the talent is there already on defense, Jared Allen, DJ, Wesley is good when he isn't in trouble with the police. I think we have moew concern on offense, the line is getting old, Trent is old for a qb. I hope in the draft we take offense.

Our offense is aging, and we do need better play at the WR positions, but to suggest that there is enough talent on the defense is absolutely rediculous.

milkman
01-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Both the Dallas and New York games irritated me so bad. Both qb's had all day. How about Toomer's touchdown though?????? His shin touched the ground and the ref called it a touchdown. The ref needs to read the rulebook for the league. Knight was there, he was down by contact. That was an awful call and the head official came on NFL total access and even said the player was down by contact. The loss to the Eagles was terrible too, loudmouth t.o. was not covered, I didn't get it why he was running down the field and getting the seperation on our DB's? Some losses this season to think about.

Who gives a rat's ass.
Bad officiating is a league wide problem.
If Knight and Bell had knocked him on his ass, then there wouldn't have been any question.

And as for TO, blame that on Gunt's poor scheme and lack of talent.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Okay, bad officiating is a league wide problem you are right. Toomer's touchdown cost us seven points and possibly the game against the giants. We are the only team with a 10-6 record that didn't go to the playoffs. One of those wins and we were in the playoffs, maybe just maybe playing today in the AFC Conference Championship Game?

milkman
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Okay, bad officiating is a league wide problem you are right. Toomer's touchdown cost us seven points and possibly the game against the giants. We are the only team with a 10-6 record that didn't go to the playoffs. One of those wins and we were in the playoffs, maybe just maybe playing today in the AFC Conference Championship Game?

I saw nothing from the Chiefs on the road during the regular season to suggest that they could have gone to Cinncinatti and Indy and won.

The way they played on the road, one and done would have been my expectation.

HMc
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Jesus. There were two guys literally on him and neither of them put him on his ass. They shouldn't have needed to get video evidence to prove that a hair would not have slipped between his sock and the turf, they should have smashed him.

They didn't deserve to go to the playoffs with efforts like that.

HMc
01-22-2006, 09:26 AM
As for the corner caper, i think Deion is the only one to have broken 4.3 in the combine, and that was with a 4.29.

It's a bullshit statistic anyway. Attempting to judge a guy's potential to be a CB from a couple of sprints he did before he was drafted (however long ago that was), on astroturf in fast shoes, where all the top guys are within .3 of each other anyway, is just stupid.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Who do you think the problem is on defense? Maybe I just believe in the guys on defense, yes guys like Carlos Hall didn't do anything for us but Knight and Surtain they are two good cover guys. Kawika Mitchell, Jared Allen, Greg Wesley.

milkman
01-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Who do you think the problem is on defense? Maybe I just believe in the guys on defense, yes guys like Carlos Hall didn't do anything for us but Knight and Surtain they are two good cover guys. Kawika Mitchell, Jared Allen, Greg Wesley.

Carlos Hall was productive when he wasn't injured.
The problem was that he couldn't stay healthy.

We need to build the defense front to back, middle to edges.

We need DTs that get penetration, that push the pocket, that redirect RBs.

In Kawika, we have a MLB that is improving, and is on his way to becoming a hitter, and a defensive leader.

We need a safety that is a hitter and a ball hawk.
A guy that makes WRs think twice about running routes over the middle.

At DE we need quickness and speed, and discipline.
Guys that can maintain their outside containment, but that also have the ability to get after the QB.

DJ is a nice building block at OLB, but we need more speed on the other side.

Surtain and Warfield are a solid CB duo, and Sapp is getting better as the nickel.
Hopefully Battle and Hodge can provide depth.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with what you are saying. We get burned all the time on the weak side, with reverses and Jake Plummer's rollouts. I think you said it all. Who's winnig today? I have Denver and Seattle.

milkman
01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree with what you are saying. We get burned all the time on the weak side, with reverses and Jake Plummer's rollouts. I think you said it all. Who's winnig today? I have Denver and Seattle.

It's going to be a Steeler-Panther SB.

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 10:35 AM
It's going to be a Steeler-Panther SB.

I like Denver at home today, it is tough to win at mile high for some reason. Seattle is perfect at home this year as well. Some good games, Alexander is back in the mix. Man he is good, if Carolina is going to win he must b stopped. Steve smith will hurt you all day long too though, he would b a nice pickup at reciever for us-lol. He is a franchise player, probably under contract for 6 years.

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
As for the corner caper, i think Deion is the only one to have broken 4.3 in the combine, and that was with a 4.29.

It's a bullshit statistic anyway. Attempting to judge a guy's potential to be a CB from a couple of sprints he did before he was drafted (however long ago that was), on astroturf in fast shoes, where all the top guys are within .3 of each other anyway, is just stupid.

It's not a bullshit stat, It's the ability to accelerate to the ball in the air, and for a corner that's crucial.