PDA

View Full Version : This Al Saunders Loss is really gonna

mac58
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
hurt us. damn he was underapreciated. he had us on top for 5 years in yrds and touchdowns. I really think this will be noticed next year.

KCChiefsFan88
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Yep this is going to come back and bite Peterson in the ass big time.

John Matrix
01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
CP is nothing if not a world class level stupid sonofabitch.

Reaper16
01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
And we don't know this, because we don't know how Solari will call plays.
Solari knows the system, knows our strengths. Let's not be all doom and gloom until we've seen him call a game. Actually, there's the possibility that Solari could be an improvement, considering times last year where Al's play calling was detrimental.

We don't know yet, so stop it with the endless parade of bitching.

ENDelt260
01-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Haha.... Saunders was underappreciated. ROFL

FAX
01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure, Mr. mac58, if we will miss him or not.

I am sure, however, that it makes sense to give Herm and Solari a chance to make this work. For my part, I am confident in their ability to do so.

FAX

Simplex3
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Haha.... Saunders was underappreciated. ROFL
So you noticed that considerable lack of media coverage for Saunders too, huh?

Mr. Laz
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
hurt us. damn he was underapreciated. he had us on top for 5 years in yrds and touchdowns. I really think this will be noticed next year.
while i like Saunders and think KC fans underestimate his importance ... we don't really know how good/bad Solari is.

we just have to cross our fingers and hope

i think some people will be surprised about how much our offense suffers when we stop running all though "dumbass trick plays"

Hoover
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I think the reason we scored so many ****ing touchdowns is not because of our play caller, but we have the best running backs in the entire NFL, and a monster Oline in front of them

FAX
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I think the reason we scored so many ****ing touchdowns is not because of our play caller, but we have the best running backs in the entire NFL, and a monster Oline in front of them

I completely agree with your asterisk-laden post, Mr. Hoover.

I would add that the prior-to-the-snap motion Al and DV like so much is also very effective in creating advantageous match-ups, isolations, and rushing seams. I would hope that we don't forego this aspect of the offense.

FAX

Woodrow Call
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM

:clap: Yep, give the Chiefs oline, Gonzo, Green, Holmes/LJ to any NFL caliber OC and he would probably have given you about the same results. Saunders was great but I dont think the offense is going to fall off the face of the earth because he is gone.

Age might slow down the offense but losing Al wont IMO.

kc1977
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM

This is such a crock statement - just like JoPo's article was today.

You ever think there's a reason that Al wasn't hired as a head coach?

Quite frankly, in several of our losses, it was the offense that sputtered and ultimately led to the loss and Al's playcalling had a lot to do with it.

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
We can get it done without Al. Hopefully anyways.

mac58
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
This is such a crock statement - just like JoPo's article was today.

You ever think there's a reason that Al wasn't hired as a head coach?

Quite frankly, in several of our losses, it was the offense that sputtered and ultimately led to the loss and Al's playcalling had a lot to do with it.

Talk abouy crotch statements you blaming our loses on offense thats a ****ing joke. U obviously dont know what the **** ur talking about. Yeah a game or 2 here and there. that ****ing texans interception but in those games even they shouldnt have even been that close. If the offense happened to sputter thats because they already put up over 30 and the ****ing defense didnt know hoe to tackles somebody. Saunders will be missed. U just look at the surface one or two plays a year when ur mister coach potato QB. u dont realize all the shit that goes into this. all the different formations motions and play calling. Yall see next year this will hurt us.

FAX
01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Would you mind re-phrasing that, Mr. mac58?

I'm having some difficulty following your logic here.

FAX

Mr. Laz
01-20-2006, 04:34 PM
:clap: Yep, give the Chiefs oline, Gonzo, Green, Holmes/LJ to any NFL caliber OC and he would probably have given you about the same results. Saunders was great but I dont think the offense is going to fall off the face of the earth because he is gone.

Age might slow down the offense but losing Al wont IMO.
already edging your bets i see

if the offense struggles it will be anything but Saunders leaving

before vermeil/saunders our oline/gonzo etc didn't get us much

holmes was backup guy who couldn't get a starting job.

green was a journeyman QB

vermeil/saunders assembled this offense and made it work

BigChiefFan
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Losing Saunders stings, but I think Solari has what it takes to get the job done. He's spent the past nine seasons (’97-05) as the club’s offensive line coach. He deserves a shot especially consdering he played on the SAME team with Herm Edwards in college.

mac58
01-20-2006, 05:09 PM
already edging your bets i see

if the offense struggles it will be anything but Saunders leaving

before vermeil/saunders our oline/gonzo etc didn't get us much

holmes was backup guy who couldn't get a starting job.

green was a journeyman QB

vermeil/saunders assembled this offense and made it work

thank you....and im not saying Al is the only reason but he was a large part

chiefsfan1963
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
AS will be missed! CP does it again! Just like all his HC's of the past he always fails to provide a complete team. With Marty it was on O, with DV it was on D, now with Herm it's O. We had one of the best OC in the business just walk away and now instead of looking for another top rated OC like Norv we promote a position's coach. I'm not saying he is not up for the challenge, but there is a big learning curve with a new job especially a job where you have to stretch. That means conservatism.

I'm willing to give him a chance, but I won't be surprise with results JoPo
talks about in his article. If it strikes a nerve then there must be an element of truth to it.

|Zach|
01-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I love the Solari hire...I think he is one of the people who really made this offense go...I look forward to the things he does with all the talent on this team.

|Zach|
01-20-2006, 05:43 PM
AS will be missed! CP does it again! Just like all his HC's of the past he always fails to provide a complete team. With Marty it was on O, with DV it was on D, now with Herm it's O. We had one of the best OC in the business just walk away and now instead of looking for another top rated OC like Norv we promote a position's coach. I'm not saying he is not up for the challenge, but there is a big learning curve with a new job especially a job where you have to stretch. That means conservatism.

I'm willing to give him a chance, but I won't be surprise with results JoPo
talks about in his article. If it strikes a nerve then there must be an element of truth to it.
You have already deduced Herms team won't be good at offense. Good work.

ROFL

B_Ambuehl
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I said back in october that I didn't give a damn what type of shuffling around went on with coaching on this team as long as Solari was retained in some capacity. I said that as a big time Al Saunders supporter and thinking about the future of the team.

Yes, it was probably a stupid move in the short term to not hire Saunders as head coach much less let another team entice him to leave as offensive coordinator. The Chiefs offense will probably lose games next year that an Al Saunders led offense would win.

Yet, in thinking long term, I firmly believe that the foundation for any good offense is an offensive line. The league abounds with fly by the minute offensive gurus and GMs who want to build a house on sand and spend all these high draft picks and money on hyped up quarterbacks and wide receivers that can't be effective because they don't have anybody to block. The Chiefs offense has been able to consistently move the football, particularly on the ground, with 2nd tier players for the last 10 + years, primarily because they have always been strong up front. When you have an offensive line coach at a high ranking position on the team that makes me feel good that the foundation for the offense in the years to come won't change.

Luzap
01-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Will Al being gone make a difference? Probably so, but will the net effect be positive or negative? Only time will tell.

It cracks me up to read how some think bringing in an outsider for OC would benefit the '06 season. A huge part of an OCs gameplanning and play calling ability stems from his familiarity with the players ~ what they can and can't do, how well wil they match up with this particular opponent, etc. Bringing in any outsider would handicap this offense far more than promoting from within.

Will Solari be an offensive genius? I have no idea, but Here's what I like:

1) He's already been intimitly involved with the game planning of this high powered O.
2) He knows the personnel.
3) He already has a relationship with Herm (trust is important).
4) As someone already mentioned, he'll now have enough athority to help us stop drafting Trezelle Jenkins type of O Lineman (busts).

BTW, for those of you that don't realize it, Solari was responsible for comming up with the next weeks game plan (running) first ~ before any other planner went to work. I get the feeling that the Chiefs have always been a team that wants to run.

Luz
not overly concerned...

Hoover
01-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Nice post Luz.

As for the passing game the most important thing is the protection. It all starts up front on every play. Ask Peyton Manning about that when he gets back up. I don't think our Wr routes are overly complex, it really just all of the shifting.

TRR
01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
What Solari does bring, is a closeness to Will Shields and Willie Roaf. Solari being elevated to Offensive Coordinator may mean that Shields and Roaf may stick around for a year or two longer.

The only thing I hope Solari doesn't overlook, is how important motion plays a role in both the running and passing game. If he understands that (and why wouldn't he) then I think KC's O will be alright. There will definitely be a setback or two next season.

Saunders will be missed...How much is yet to be determined.

Bald but Beautiful
01-20-2006, 06:20 PM
If I may weigh in on this debate about Al Saunders, I think it would have been great to keep him, but I do not think that the Chief's offense will not all of a sudden hit the wall because of this. How many times during even this year that we ran a play on offense, and I said out loud,"Saunders, what the hell are you doing?" after the umpteenth wide receiver screen he ran or any other cutesy play call that did not work. Hmmm, what if Solari does turn out to be a grind it out play caller, it this necessarily a bad thing? We have Larry Johnson, maybe the best young power back in the league we a still good o line, Martyball maybe alright. I bet that if Marty had LJ and that line, he would have brought a championship to KC.

Count Zarth
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
All this chicken little nonsense is infuriating me.

Iowanian
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Could it mean that Trent Green only throws for 3600 yards next year? Possibly.

Could that, in itself lead to enough more wins for a playoff spot? Yes.

I'm not for martyball, but there were several times, when in foolish situations(inside own 10, minute and half to go in the half and calling 3 cute passes and a punt), that I'll not miss him.

Solari, by all accounts was very instrumental in the Running game, and obviously the Oline. Anyone watching the offense knows those were the most important factor in this offenses success.

Throwing the ball all over the field for 4500 yards, has been fun to watch, but not when its being done to catch up with the other team that just scored 42.

I like the move initially.

Messier
01-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Did you guys know that Solari called all the protections for the o-line? Yep in fact he was the main planner of all the running plays. Now think about what really made the o work, it was the blocking assignments and Solari was the guy who did that.

morphius
01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
All this chicken little nonsense is infuriating me.
Says the "SUPREME COMMANDER" of chicken littles...

Count Zarth
01-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Says the "SUPREME COMMANDER" of chicken littles...

You've misinterpreted GERM WARFARE's mission.