PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things

FAX
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I have taken it upon myself to start a thread. It's name shall be, "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things".

Here are some:

1. In ancient Japan, public contests were held to see who could fart the loudest and longest.

2. Woodpecker scalps, porpoise teeth and giraffe tails have all been used as money.

3. Cats make over 100 different vocal sounds; dogs can make about ten.

4. No one has ever been able to domesticate the African elephant. Only the Indian elephant can be trained by man.

5. It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up.

Please feel free to contribute your own "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!

FAX

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
1. In 1985 I was born.

2. Midget submarines were used during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

3. Walking through 10 feet of snow to get to school, was "popular" when your "dad" was a kid.

Skip Towne
01-20-2006, 07:09 PM
1. In 1985 I was born.

2. Midget submarines were used during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

3. Walking through 10 feet of snow to get to school, was "popular" when your "dad" was a kid.
You forgot "uphill both ways".

FAX
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Those are good ones, Mr. Dunit35. But, let's keep our numbering straight so, when it's all over, we'll know how many "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things" we now know.

I'll continue the list with number 9.

9. A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court.

10. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

11. If you flip a coin ten times, the odds against its coming up with the same side showing each time are 1,023 to 1.

FAX

Ultra Peanut
01-20-2006, 07:13 PM
22. Borith Lake is a famous lake in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Borith is a hamlet in the surroundings of the Borith Lake to the northwest of Hussaini, a village near Gulmit, Gojal, in the upper Hunza. The altitude of Borith is roughly 8500 feet above sea level.

14. Tom McGrath, though little known outside of Hollywood, has been an important, behind-the-scenes player in re-shaping the modern media landscape throughout his entertainment career.

9. Although often deemed foolish and easily confused, the turkey is a game animal of considerable cunning.

11. The magical Shamir was a substance with the power to alter stone, iron and diamond. Solomon's Shamir was either lost, or had lost its potency, by the time of the Temple's destruction at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar, in 587 BC.

FAX
01-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Mr. Psicosis is ***ing with Mr. FAX's numbering system in a big way.

But his "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things" are great!!

Oh well, here are two really good "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things":

16. Car airbags kill 1 person for every 22 lives that they save.

17. Women buy four out of every 10 condoms sold.

FAX

Saul Good
01-20-2006, 07:20 PM
11. If you flip a coin ten times, the odds against its coming up with the same side showing each time are 1,023 to 1.

Actually, that would be 2 to the 9th power which would be 511 to 1.

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 07:21 PM
18. The first word spoken on the moon was “okay”

19. Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States

20. A felcher is someone who cleans someone else's butt.

bogie
01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
21. a 150 lb. bag of flour will make a big biscuit.

FAX
01-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh my goodness!

Mr. Saul Good is challenging the factuality of a "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Thing" on our list!

Well, **** you, Mr. Saul Good. Look it up!

Oh well, here are three more "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!

18. More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

19. 'Formicophilia' is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.

20. The average NFL player's career lasts only 3 1/2 years.

FAX

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Oh my goodness!

Mr. Saul Good is challenging the factuality of a "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Thing" on our list!

Well, **** you, Mr. Saul Good. Look it up!

Oh well, here are three more "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!

22. More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

23. 'Formicophilia' is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.

24. The average NFL player's career lasts only 3 1/2 years.

FAX

There I corrected it Mr. Fax.

FAX
01-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you, Mr. Dunit35! Mr. Saul Good got me so upset, I must have lost count!

Here are some wonderful "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things" I found!

25. In America in 1977, the punishment for smuggling marijiuana was 15 years less than the punishment for smuggling coffee!

26. The average French citizen eats 500 snails per year.

FAX

FAX
01-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, I guess I'm the only one who is going to post more "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things" so here goes! I hope you enjoy them!!!

27. The Grateful Dead were once called 'The Warlocks'.

28. The launching mechanism of a carrier ship that helps planes to take off could throw a pickup truck over a mile. Wow! That's a long way!

FAX

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 08:01 PM
29. My great uncle was a mortician (sp)

30. Mario, of Super Mario Bros. fame, appeared in the 1981 arcade game, Donkey Kong. His original name was Jumpman, but was changed to Mario to honor the Nintendo of America's landlord, Mario Segali.

31.The first man to distill bourbon whiskey in the United States was a Baptist preacher, in 1789.

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 08:02 PM
32. John Hancock was the only one of fifty signers of the Declaration of Independence who actually signed it on July 4.

33. The first dictionary of American English was published on April 14th, 1828, by - who else? - Noah Webster

FAX
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, it looks like I'm all by myself here. But that's okay!! At least Mr. Saul Good isn't posting on our cool new thread anymore!!!

Here is another really, really good "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Thing"!!!

29. The revenue that is generated from gambling is more than the revenue that comes from movies, cruise ships, recorded music, theme parks, and spectator sports combined.

I'll bet you didn't know that!!!

FAX

FAX
01-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, it looks like I'm all by myself here. But that's okay!! At least Mr. Saul Good isn't posting on our cool new thread anymore!!!

Here is another really, really good "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Thing"!!!

34. The revenue that is generated from gambling is more than the revenue that comes from movies, cruise ships, recorded music, theme parks, and spectator sports combined.

I'll bet you didn't know that!!!

FAX

Woopsie!!! There goes that numbering problem again!

Didn't know you were still with me, there, Mr. Dunit35! At least you weren't Mr. Saul Good!!

FAX

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Woopsie!!! There goes that numbering problem again!

Didn't know you were still with me, there, Mr. Dunit35! At least you weren't Mr. Saul Good!!

FAX

Thats allright, I got a website up right now, looking for some.

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 08:11 PM
35. In 1893, Chicago hired its first police woman. Her name was Marie Owens. While the city was progressive in its hiring practices, Chicago's female police officers were not allowed to wear uniforms until 1956.

36.Billiards great, Henry Lewis once sank 46 balls in a row.

37.Bulgaria was the only soccer team in the 1994 World Cup in which all 11 players' last names ended with the letters "OV."

FAX
01-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Thats allright, I got a website up right now, looking for some.

Great! I'm kinda glad that no one else wants to post on our new, cool thread!!! Especially that Mr. Saul Good!!

Here's two more really neat "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!!!

35. In the next seven days, 800 Americans will be injured by their jewelry. (Buy stock in bandaids everybody!!!)

36. The Bible is the most-shoplifted book in the world. (And, I'll bet most of them are Scientologists!!!!)

FAX

Skip Towne
01-20-2006, 08:13 PM
If there hadn't been a Pearl Harbor, there wouldn't have been a Hiroshima. Bet you didn't know that!

Nzoner
01-20-2006, 08:15 PM
38.Clint Eastwood's first appearance on the big screen was in a b/w cheesy monter movie called Tarantula.He was a fighter pilot that was assigned to attack the giant spider.

It's all I got.

Dunit35
40. In 1964 for the 10th time in his major-league baseball career, Mickey Mantle hit home runs from both the left and ride sides of the plate in the same game - setting a new baseball record.

41.The home team must provide the referee with 36 footballs for each National Football League game.

I wonder if number 41 is actually true. Im hungry, I be back in 30. Mr. Fax, to put more on here.

FAX
37. In 1893, Chicago hired its first police woman. Her name was Marie Owens. While the city was progressive in its hiring practices, Chicago's female police officers were not allowed to wear uniforms until 1956.

38.Billiards great, Henry Lewis once sank 46 balls in a row.

39.Bulgaria was the only soccer team in the 1994 World Cup in which all 11 players' last names ended with the letters "OV."

Those are great, Mr. Dunit35! I'll bet Mr. Saul Good didn't know that!!!

I'll re-number them so our cool new thread is correctly numbered!!

FAX

FAX
01-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Well, it looks like our cool new thread is all ****ed up now.

Mr. Skip Towne didn't even use a number!!!

But, that's okay!! At least Mr. Saul Good isn't posting on our cool new thread!!!

Here's another couple of really neat "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!!!

40. There are more insects in one square mile of rural land than there are human beings in the world. (Watch out for mosquitos, Mr. Iowanian!!!)

41. The glue on Israeli stamps is certified kosher. (What will those nifty Jews think of next!!!)

FAX

Saulbadguy
01-20-2006, 08:21 PM
42. Brando OWNS FAX!!!!11

Nightwish
01-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I vote that we change the name of this thread to "Things Cliff Claven would say!"

Here are some things I found from a couple of Cliff Claven "Cliff-isms" sites:

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/1915/cliff_triv.html
An ostrich's eye is bigger that it's brain. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes. It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. Then the frog uses it's forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again. White Out was invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith (formerly of the Monkees). In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax, and correct itself. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself. 101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand. A whale's penis is called a dork. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly. Reindeer like to eat bananas. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes. No words in the English language rhyme with month, orange, silver, and purple. Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later. "I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language. The most common name in the world is Mohammed. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together." Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo. In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson." More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes. A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes. Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt. Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.http://www.concentric.net/~leetoma/humor-cliffie.htm
If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher. The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses its plural.
Hydroxydesoxycorticosterone and hydroxydeoxycorticosterones are the largest anagrams. Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula." Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older. An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. Ben and Jerry's send the waste from making ice cream to local pig farmers to use as feed. Pigs love the stuff, except for one flavor: Mint Oreo. Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds. Wilma Flintstone's maiden name was Wilma Slaghoopal, and Betty Rubble's maiden name was Betty Jean Mcbricker. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 The Ramses brand condom is named after the great pharaoh Ramses II who fathered over 168 children. If NASA sent birds into space they would soon die, they need gravity to swallow. Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors. A pig's orgasm lasts for 38 minutes. The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life". It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up it's stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of it's mouth. Then the frog uses it's forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again. Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute. Sylvia Miles had the shortest performance ever nominated for an Oscar with "Midnight Cowboy." Her entire role lasted only six minutes. Charles Lindbergh took only four sandwiches with him on his famous transatlantic flight. Goethe couldn't stand the sound of barking dogs and could only write if he had an apple rotting in the drawer of his desk. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. 101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand on the QWERTY keyboard. The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth. A whale's penis is called a dork. Armadillos have four babies at a time and they are always all the same sex. Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs -- it will let you go instantly. Reindeer like to eat bananas. A group of unicorns is called a blessing.
Twelve or more cows are known as a "flink."
A group of frogs is called an army.
A group of rhinos is called a crash.
A group of kangaroos is called a mob.
A group of whales is called a pod.
A group of geese is called a gaggle.
A group of ravens is called a murder.
A group of officers is called a mess.
A group of larks is called an exaltation.
A group of owls is called a parliament. Physicist Murray Gell-Mann named the sub-atomic particles known as quarks for a random line in James Joyce, "Three quarks for Muster Mark!" Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/18 of a calorie. The phrase "sleep tight" derives from the fact that early mattresses were filled with straw and held up with rope stretched across the bedframe. A tight sleep was a comfortable sleep. "Three dog night" (attributed to Australian Aborigines) came about because on especially cold nights these nomadic people needed three dogs (dingos, actually) to keep from freezing. Gilligan of Gilligan's Island had a first name that was only used once, on the never-aired pilot show. His first name was Willy. The skipper's real name on Gilligan's Island is Jonas Grumby. It was mentioned once in the first episode on their radio's newscast about the wreck. In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak. Playing cards were issued to British pilots in WWII. If captured, they could be soaked in water and unfolded to reveal a map for escape. Ivory bar soap floating was a mistake. They had been over-mixing the soap formula causing excess air bubbles that made it float. Customers wrote and told how much they loved that it floated, and it has floated ever since. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself. The Sanskrit word for "war" means "desire for more cows."http://www.tvacres.com/words_cliff.htm (These particular ones are attributed directly to Cliff from various episodes)
<UL><UL><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2><UL><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>They did a study comparing postal workers to chimpanzees. They proved chimps were 32% slower. Of course, they were better with public relations. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>There's no rule against postal worker dating women; it just works out that way. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>It's a little-known fact that the smartest animal is the pig. Scientists say if pigs had thumbs and a language, they could be trained to do simple manual labor. They give you 20 to 30 years of loyal service, and at their retirement dinner, you can eat them. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>Due to the shape of the North American elk's esophagus, even if it could speak, it could not pronounce the word lasagna.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>Basketball was invented by the Celtics. Interestingly enough, so was the parquet floor. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>It's a little known fact that cows were domesticated in Mesopotamia and were also used in China as guard animals for the Forbidden City.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>A Freudian slip is saying one thing and meaning a mother. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>I wonder if you know that the harp is a predecessor of the modern day guitar. Early minstrels were much larger people. In fact, they had hands the size of small dogs.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>Everyone is the Swiss Army owns a Swiss Army Knife. That's why no one messes with Switzerland.</FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>If you were to go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected. By my calculations, our next president has to be named Yellnick McWawa. </FONT></FONT>
<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>If memory serves, the umbilical chord is 90% potassium.</FONT></FONT>
<LI><DIV align=justify><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica"><FONT size=2>It's a little known fact that the tan became popular in what is known as the Bronze Age.

chiefsfaninNC
01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
43. The material cost of WWII has been estimated at 1.5 trillion dollars. More than the cost of all other wars put together.

Nzoner
01-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Even if I wasn't drinkin I'm not taking the time to read all that

shakesthecat
01-20-2006, 08:37 PM

I seen it!

Ari Chi3fs
01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Uh oh, I think FAX's head may have just exploded.

Hydrae
01-20-2006, 11:17 PM
35. In 1893, Chicago hired its first police woman. Her name was Marie Owens. While the city was progressive in its hiring practices, Chicago's female police officers were not allowed to wear uniforms until 1956.

So for 63 years Chicago's women cops were naked? :eek:

FAX
01-21-2006, 07:38 AM

Well, Mr. FAX had a dinner engagement with the beautiful, elegant, and witty Mrs. FAX and some friends last night, but I'm back now!!

Oh my! Look at this! It seems that Mr. Saulbadguy wants to turn our cool new thread into a smack-fest!

Well, I hate to disagree with you, Mr. Saulbadguy, but I'm pretty sure that the only thing Brando owns is the Zippo his mother bought him when he graduated 5th grade.

FAX

wutamess
01-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Come on people... This is actually a pretty interesting thread.

Never knew what such common often derogatory words actually meant.

Now I can call someone a dork and be able to tell them what it means.

Same with twit.

FWIW
Whatever number - F. U. C. K. IS NOT german for Fornecate Under Consent of the King.

Whatever number 2 - Jesus real name is Yeshua Ben Yosef (If I'm remembering correctly) Jesus Christ is actually a title which means, "anointed one".

Whatever number 3 - The bible is an original book of the sun derived by lots of smaller stories. It was originally called the Sun Book. Its latin derivitive Helios Biblios - Helios means sky/sun while Biblios is latin for book.

FAX
01-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Come on people... This is actually a pretty interesting thread.

Never knew what such common often derogatory words actually meant.

Now I can call someone a dork and be able to tell them what it means.

Same with twit.

How right you are, Mr. wutamess! Not only is this cool new thread useful when determining the correct curseword to use in any given situation, but "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things" can contribute to longevity!!!

54. Most alcoholic beverages contain all 13 minerals necessary to sustain human life.

FAX

cdcox
01-21-2006, 12:15 PM
55. The first water pipes were made from burned out logs. A hole was cut in the side of the log and filled with a "fire plug". The pipe was buried and the fire plug location marked with a flag. Upon the out break of a fire, they would did down to the pipe , remove the plug, and start the buckett brigade.

CosmicPal
01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

If all men were able to perform this feat, we wouldn't have any problems in this world.

Hydrae
01-21-2006, 12:21 PM
18. The first word spoken on the moon was “okay”

19. Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States

20. A felcher is someone who cleans someone else's butt.

I thought the first word spoken on the moon was "Houston." :shrug:

FAX
01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
56. Henry Ford, father of the Automobile, is also father of the charcoal briquette.

(An exhaustive search failed to determine who the mother of the charcoal briquette was.)

FAX

FAX
01-21-2006, 01:46 PM
57. It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world's population are drunk.

(You are not alone, Mr. ENDelt260!!)

FAX

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 02:08 PM
58. The Maldives, an island/state/country off the South West of India is sinking at a rate of several inches per year and is estimated to be completely submerged by 2025.

59. The name “California” was taken from a 16th century Spanish novel, The Exploits of Esplaidian by Garcia Ordonez de Montalvo who described it as a mythical Amazon kingdom ruled by black women.

60. Seoul, the South Korean capital, just means “the capital” in the Korean language.

61. The name of all the continents in English end with the same letter that they start with.

62. The word “bozo” derives from the French slang term “bouseaux” (meaning “hick, peasant, or yokel”). However, bouseaux literally means “cow turds”. ( “Cow turds the Clown” anybody?)

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 02:22 PM
63. There is no word for “headache” in Eskimo. (Hopefully theres a word for "brain freeze" when they eat ice cream too fast.) Speaking of ice cream ...

64. The United States is the biggest producer of ice cream worldwide, making 61.3 M hL per year. New Zealand is the largest consumer, collectively eating 26.3L of ice cream per person.

65. It is impossible to get a truck of Ben & Jerry's across the Rocky Mountains and have it taste the same as it started. The altitude change from beginning to end of the trip damages the microstructure of the colloid, and only half a gallon of ice cream arrives in each gallon container after the trip. There are special pressurized trucks that could do the job, but generally speaking the ice creams are made locally in the West coast and distributed in the East coast.

Calcountry
01-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I have taken it upon myself to start a thread. It's name shall be, "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things".

Here are some:

1. In ancient Japan, public contests were held to see who could fart the loudest and longest.

2. Woodpecker scalps, porpoise teeth and giraffe tails have all been used as money.

3. Cats make over 100 different vocal sounds; dogs can make about ten.

4. No one has ever been able to domesticate the African elephant. Only the Indian elephant can be trained by man.

5. It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up.

Please feel free to contribute your own "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things"!

FAXI hear that African elephants can run quite fast too.

Calcountry
01-21-2006, 02:35 PM
If there hadn't been a Pearl Harbor, there wouldn't have been a Hiroshima. Bet you didn't know that!If there hadn't a been a 9/11, there wouldn't a been an Iraq war.

The liberals still don't get it.

Thig Lyfe
01-21-2006, 03:58 PM
65. It is impossible to get a truck of Ben & Jerry's across the Rocky Mountains and have it taste the same as it started. The altitude change from beginning to end of the trip damages the microstructure of the colloid, and only half a gallon of ice cream arrives in each gallon container after the trip. There are special pressurized trucks that could do the job, but generally speaking the ice creams are made locally in the West coast and distributed in the East coast.

What about Hagen-Daas?

SLAG
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
66- There is No bone in a boner

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 04:07 PM
66- There is No bone in a boner
That is incorrect, depending upon your genis/species.

Raccoons have penis bones, although they are by no means the only species with such bones. (For instance, seals, walruses and whales have them too, and these large penis bones, called oosiks by the Inuit, are used for making sled dog harness parts.) The scientific name for these bones is os penis ("penis bone" in Latin") and among their many common names are "love bone," "pecker bone," "coon dong" "possum prick," Texas toothpick," "mountain man toothpick" and "baculum" (Latin for "little rod").

SLAG
01-21-2006, 04:11 PM
That is incorrect, depending upon your genis/species.

Raccoons have penis bones, although they are by no means the only species with such bones. (For instance, seals, walruses and whales have them too, and these large penis bones, called oosiks by the Inuit, are used for making sled dog harness parts.) The scientific name for these bones is os penis ("penis bone" in Latin") and among their many common names are "love bone," "pecker bone," "coon dong" "possum prick," Texas toothpick," "mountain man toothpick" and "baculum" (Latin for "little rod").

I figured that Most Seals, Walrusses and whales and other Species cannont afford Internet Access . So for the Humans that are reading this my statement would be correct.

I would also like to add that even though there is no Bone in the Human Penis you can still break it

Saul Good
01-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh my goodness!

Well, **** you, Mr. Saul Good. Look it up!I don't have to look it up. I can do math.

Amnorix
01-21-2006, 09:47 PM
No number assigned -- pissing wars between Fax and Saul Good that aren't even entertaining should cease.

No number assigned -- numbering random facts posted in a thread seems silly and pointless, in the opinion of at least one ChiefsPlanet Poster.

(however, following the theme)

67. The English word "Emperor" is a derivation of the Latin word "Imperator" which was a title accorded to most leaders of the ancient Roman Empire. "Imperator" however, really is more of a "military leader" concept. What we call an "Emperor" ancient Romans would have called an "Augustus," not an Imperator.

68. Catholicism as we know it and the Greek (and other) orthodox churches were once part of the same christian religion. In the 11th century, however, the Bishops of Rome (the Pope) and Constitinople (the Patriarch) excommunicated each other, resulting in a schism that lasts to this day. Efforts to reconcile the church happened several times over the centuries, but never succeeded.

69. The Last Supper of Jesus and his disciples was a Passover Seder.

70. The only surviving wonder included in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World is the Great Pyramid of Giza.

71. King Tut was a minor, mostly irrelevant Pharoah, and part of a line of Pharoahs whose names were intentionally erased from Egyptian history by a subsequent line of pharoahs due to their heresies.

72. Another Wonder of the Ancient World, the Colossus of Rhodes, which was over 100 feet tall, was made of bronze. Felled by an earthquake, it laid in ruins for many centuries. Arabs, having founded a new and militant religion -- Islam, conquered Rhodes and sold it to a Jew who broke it up and sold it for scrap in approximately 650 A.D. It's rumored that it took 900 camels to carry away the pieces.

73. Bulgaria was formed by people known as Bulgars. They formerly (during about 800-1000 AD) had a significant sized empire, considerably larger than current Bulgaria.

74. The Pechenegs, a tribe of barbarians in Europe, had occassion to gild and make drinking cups out of the skulls of a Russian Tsar and a Byzantine Emperor.

75. It's generally accepted that Jesus was not born on Christmas Day. Christmas Day is instead the same date as a high holy day of Roman pagans, selected primarily to help them acclimate to the new religion.

76. The Battle of the Atlantic in World War II (US/UK versus Nazi U-boats) was won in large part because the UK had succeeded in breaking the Nazi code used to issue submarines their orders. In one two month period in the summer of 1943, over 70 U-Boats were sunk.

77. General MacArthur was quietly living out his semi-retirement in the Phillipines (over 10 years earlier he had been Chief of Staff of the Army) when World War II brought him back into action.

78. Prior to the discovery of electricity, lamps were often lit with whale oil, which was one reason why whaling was so popular.

79. Founding Father Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel by Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr.

80. Time Magazine's Man of the Year for 1938 (the year before World War II started in Europe) was Adolf Hitler.

81. Genghis Khan is believed to have more living descendants in the world than any other single person -- over 16 million.

FAX
01-22-2006, 11:46 AM
No number assigned -- pissing wars between Fax and Saul Good that aren't even entertaining should cease.

No number assigned -- numbering random facts posted in a thread seems silly and pointless, in the opinion of at least one ChiefsPlanet Poster..

You are quite right, Mr. Amnorix. I have made two egregious errors in judgement in my effort to have a cool new thread of "Lesser Known But Still Maybe Interesting Things".

1. I insulted Mr. Saul Good without provocation or cause. I apologize, Mr. Saul Good. To you and your family. I should be banned and neg-repped to hell for what I did. I'm sorry.

2. The numbering system totally sucks. I don't know why I suggested it in the first place. It's impossible to maintain and some posters don't even use numbers. I guess I just wanted a really cool new thread with numbers in it. I was wrong.

FAX