PDA

View Full Version : Wild Rumor Central: Vermeil vrs Peterson? ... Saunders shakedown?

Mr. Laz
01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
POSTED 7:37 p.m. EST, January 20, 2006

www.profootballtalk.com

PETERSON, VERMEIL PART ON BAD TERMS?

Word around the league is that there was little or no communication between Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson and former coach Dick Vermeil as the 2005 season wound to a conclusion, due directly to tensions regarding his status.

There was plenty of talk that, if Vermeil hadn't jumped into retirement, he would have been pushed by Peterson, who had a loaf of Pemmican in his pocket for Jets coach Herm Edwards. And that talk, regardless of whether it was on the money (our guess is that it was) apparently made things very dicey between Dick and King Carl.

We've also heard that the members of Vermeil's staff who weren't retained by the team that they weren't able to get into Arrowhead Stadium and get their personal effects because the locks had been changed.

SAUNDERS SQUEEZED 'SKINS WITH PHONY OFFER?

Word around the league is that new Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders squeezed some extra coin out of Dan Snyder's deep pockets this week by telling the 'Skins that he was sitting on an offer to become the next coach of the Oakland Raiders.

The only problem is that, you know, the Raiders never actually made him an offer to become their next head coach.

On one hand, it's good negotiating tactics. On the other hand, it's pretty a shaky foundation on which to launch Saunders' career in D.C.

Dunit35
01-20-2006, 09:32 PM
WOW, just WOW. If these are true, Peterson should be fired now.

Saunders is obviously a genious for getting more money out of the deal. But Mr. Snyder would be massively pissed.

nychief
01-20-2006, 09:40 PM
who gives a shit.

We have our coach.

Reaper16
01-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Heh. Couldn't Oakland still sign Saunders? It would be a promotion.

John Matrix
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
That's pretty f*cking low to change the locks on the outgoing staff...well except for Guinta.

cdcox
01-20-2006, 09:53 PM
That's pretty f*cking low to change the locks on the outgoing staff...well except for Guinta.

Better than someone taking their play book to their next job.

morphius
01-20-2006, 09:58 PM
DV never looked upset when going into or leaving the stadium his last few days here. Hell, the guy pimped up Edwards as much as anyone in the league. As far as the locks being changed, I saw a few coaches on TV packing up their stuff and taking it home, so it must not have been too much of an inconvienence. So I have to go with BS, on most of that.

As for Saunders, who cares? Al will never admit to making an offer because he doesn't want to be embarrassed that someone would actually pick being an OC somewhere then be his HC.

Skip Towne
01-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Better than someone taking their play book to their next job.
Good point.

Frazod
01-20-2006, 10:01 PM
This just reeks of bullshit. :shake:

HMc
01-20-2006, 10:04 PM
How on earth does profootballtalk, any of us or even Nick Athan <b>know</b> what goes on inside the offices when people are being interviewed? How do we know saunders wasn't offered the job?

Tribal Warfare
01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
This does sound like a King Carl F*CK job special

Hydrae
01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
How on earth does profootballtalk, any of us or even Nick Athan <b>know</b> what goes on inside the offices when people are being interviewed? How do we know saunders wasn't offered the job?

From the parrot!

Rausch
01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
This just reeks of bullshit. :shake:

Exactly.

Carl would never work on getting his next HC while he sti-.....wait.....

Spicy McHaggis
01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
But Mr. Snyder would be massively pissed.

Bah, he probably spent more on strippers last weekend. He obviously has no qualms about paying any amount for the personnel he wants whether that's players or coaches.

Frosty
01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
C'mon. Consider the source. :shake:

DaneMcCloud
01-21-2006, 02:25 AM
My source says that this source didn't check his sources.

FringeNC
01-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Didn't Bill Maas say the same thing on air a few weeks ago? That Vermeil was forced out? It also fits with the rumblings about a Peterson - Saunders feud.

If true, Peterson needs to be fired. A 10-6 team on a playoff run, and the GM can't communicate with Vermeil? This wasn't the Detroit Lions we are talking about. My guess is that it really had little to do with on-field stuff. Peterson simply wants more foot-shuffling porters. He has two now - Edwards and Gun. Vermeil and Saunders forced out, and Gun retained?

Bowser
01-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Nah. If that were the case, Vermeil would have been long gone before Herm ever showed up. And Herm even admitted to having conversations with Saunders at Arrowhead.

Calcountry
01-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Better than someone taking their play book to their next job.Dude, like you don't think they have backups? I bet they can do that chit in their heads almost.

Extra Point
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Almost.

wazu
01-21-2006, 11:35 AM
If Vermeil and Carl really parted on bad terms then it seems a little odd that Vermeil spent so much time in his parting press conference kissing Carl's ass.

Of course, now that I think about it, telling the press that GMs shouldn't be measured based on Superbowl victories is a pretty backhanded compliment.

Braincase
01-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I've seen blind epileptic snipers with greater accuracy than this source,

milkman
01-21-2006, 11:42 AM
If Vermeil and Carl really parted on bad terms then it seems a little odd that Vermeil spent so much time in his parting press conference kissing Carl's ass.

Of course, now that I think about it, telling the press that GMs shouldn't be measured based on Superbowl victories is a pretty backhanded compliment.

I'm not sure that he could have made any other kind of compliment.

He couldn't exactly say that SB appearences and victories are the measure of any GM's success.