PDA

View Full Version : Settle an Argument: Shyrone Stith Edition

ZootedGranny
01-21-2006, 01:52 AM
It's complete nerd shit, but I'd like to know if I'm right or wrong.

On another board, I'm in a conversation about Mel Kiper, and I bring Shyrone Stith up as one example of how Kiper can be way off on his predictions. At one point, Kiper had Stith as something like the 12th best player in college football.

Someone called me out, saying Stith was a great college back before he blew out his ACL.

I don't ever recall Stith tearing his ACL, and neither does an extensive Google search. I think he's confusing him with Lee Suggs.

1punkyQB
01-21-2006, 04:09 AM
As a Tech fan, you're partially correct. He never tore his ACL, declared for the draft after Kiper said he was the 46th best overall player, had a crappy combine (too small, too slow), and was picked in the 7th round. He was a beast in college though. http://www.slate.com/id/104163/ Scroll to the bottom of the page.

ZootedGranny
01-21-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks. I didn't recall Stith & an ACL injury.

And you're right. The year of his entry into the draft, Kiper had him 46th overall. It was a year or so earlier when Kiper had him pegged at 12th overall, which perhaps at the time was more reasonable.

NaptownChief
01-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Kiper thought Mike Cloud was going to be a better NFL back than Edgerrin James. That certainly falls into your theory.

jspchief
01-21-2006, 08:38 AM
The thing is, Kiper puts out rankings all year. He projects where players rank in college before the season has even started. Also, some of his rankings are simply college rankings, not pro projections. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. He's probably one of the best at what he does, but that doesn't mean he 's infallible.

Also remember, Kiper may miss on guys like Mike Cloud, but so does the NFL. Remember that teams draft guys like Ki Jana Carter, Ryan Leaf, and Tim Couch, and they do it based on the professional opinions of their own scouts.

It's not an exact science. If you're looking for a guy to accurately predict where everyone goes, and in what round, you're never going to be satisfied.