PDA

View Full Version : Screw Saunders!

kczoo
01-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Why all the panic? How many times all these years was our play calling predictable? Jeeezz, my wife used to watch and say, here comes that draw play thingy they usually do around this time in the game. We need new spirit round' here. Good luck putting up with Gibbs and Snyder!

jlscorpio
01-21-2006, 07:19 AM
A-Freakin-Men, Brutha!!! I'm so sick of all this We're-doomed-our-genius-is-gone BS!!! Did we even sniff the Super Bowl during the Vermeil/Saunders era? One playoff appearance, no wins, and only two winning seasons in five years sucks PERIOD. I'm so ready for a change. LJ is now the franchise. Al doesn't know how to use him. LJ can't do much when AS is call double fake reverse fly patterns to Dante who is covered by 2 DB's 6 inches taller than him. Washington's personnel is a better fit for AS anyways. Bring on the smash-mouth era. Can't wait to see LJ break Dickerson's record and run over teams in the playoffs.

milkman
01-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Why all the panic? How many times all these years was our play calling predictable? Jeeezz, my wife used to watch and say, here comes that draw play thingy they usually do around this time in the game. We need new spirit round' here. Good luck putting up with Gibbs and Snyder!

Your and idiot.

milkman
01-21-2006, 07:27 AM
A-Freakin-Men, Brutha!!! I'm so sick of all this We're-doomed-our-genius-is-gone BS!!! Did we even sniff the Super Bowl during the Vermeil/Saunders era? One playoff appearance, no wins, and only two winning seasons in five years sucks PERIOD. I'm so ready for a change. LJ is now the franchise. Al doesn't know how to use him. LJ can't do much when AS is call double fake reverse fly patterns to Dante who is covered by 2 DB's 6 inches taller than him. Washington's personnel is a better fit for AS anyways. Bring on the smash-mouth era. Can't wait to see LJ break Dickerson's record and run over teams in the playoffs.

And you also.

Your and idiot.

What the **** did Al have to do with defense.

You want to rant and rail against anyone, then Dick, and only Dick should be your target.

Al did his job, and he did it better than anyone else with the same position than anyone in the NFL.

And to suggest he doesn't know how to utilize LJ is idiocy at it's highest.

milkman
01-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Oh, and by the way, when exactly did Eric Dickerson get a ring?

The Bad Guy
01-21-2006, 07:33 AM

So basically Al didn't know how to use LJ? How did he gain all those yards then? Was it some type of divine intervention that caused LJ to score 20 times?

Is that what you're saying?

Every day when I come on here, I see the dumbest post ever.

You take home the prize today.

Yeah, we didn't win in the playoffs because of Al and the 30+ points the offense scored. It was Al's fault Priest fumbled. It was Al's fault that the defense couldn't force a punt.

You should stop watching football because you are a ****ing idiot and don't understand a thing about it.

milkman
01-21-2006, 08:07 AM
So basically Al didn't know how to use LJ? How did he gain all those yards then? Was it some type of divine intervention that caused LJ to score 20 times?

Is that what you're saying?

Every day when I come on here, I see the dumbest post ever.

You take home the prize today.

Yeah, we didn't win in the playoffs because of Al and the 30+ points the offense scored. It was Al's fault Priest fumbled. It was Al's fault that the defense couldn't force a punt.

You should stop watching football because you are a ****ing idiot and don't understand a thing about it.

:clap:

PHOG
01-21-2006, 08:09 AM
YEAH, what he said.

Tactical Funky
01-21-2006, 08:25 AM
*walks into thread*

*promptly walks out of thread*

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 08:41 AM
LJ is now the franchise. Al doesn't know how to use him.

Yea I agree! He knows nothing about how to utilize LJ. He only carried the ball 30+ times and had 9 straight games over 100 yards. Id say old Al was clueless on LJ....Brother, did you even watch any of the games???

Tuckdaddy
01-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Al did a great job but we are not doomed without him. Solari will be good.

Chiefnj
01-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Threads like this one make me happy that Al left. He helped build one of the best, if not the best, offense over the last 4 years and now it seems like a fair number of Chief fans are of the opinion that he wasn't that good. If people can't appreciate what he did, screw them. Enjoy the next few years and don't bitch if the offense doesn't live up to what Al built. It can't get any better.

nascher
01-21-2006, 08:47 AM
exactly !!! Solari knows everything AS knows and the players are still the same.

Mr. Laz
01-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Solari knows everything AS knows and the players are still the same.
and just how do we know WHAT solari knows or doesn't know?

we'll find out ... cause as you say, the players are the same so if this offense falls on it's arse then i guess everyone under-estimated the impact of saunders.

Extra Point
01-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Speaking of predictible, I watched the '83 NFC championship game between the Redskins and the 49'ers. Jack Buck and Hank Stram were the featured announcers (they were the radio crew, I remember). Hank Stram predicted 90 percent of the offensive plays, run or pass. Stram was, to me, the right man at the right time for football.

(Great to see the old Gibbs crew at work, against the mastermind Bill Walsh. That was a great game.) Got my fix for a while!

mlyonsd
01-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Without sounding like a broken record....screw Peterson.

Al earned his shot and for him to end up at the same job description in Washington is a freaking disgrace.

Barring injuries I'd expect the Redskins in the SB within 3 years.

Barring injuries I'd expect the Chiefs to make one playoff appearance in the next 3 years.

Bowser
01-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Hearing that people actually want to have the "Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust" offense back makes me cry on the inside.

nascher
01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I appreciate what AS did but it's not the end !!!

As is very good as OC but coaches change teams like players and we still have a super O-Line + RB + a FHOF TE.

redhed
01-21-2006, 10:15 AM
It's never a good thing when even I could tell what play the Chiefs were gonna run. I'm an idiot.
But having said that, there is something to be said for being very predictable and still having that kind of O production. I don't know what it all means, 'cuz I'm and idoit.

RNR
01-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Well your wife should be working as a DC in the NFL. The Chiefs have put up some huge numbers over the last 5 years. DCs around the NFL would like to have been able to predict that offense.

ArrowheadHawk
01-21-2006, 10:38 AM
and just how do we know WHAT solari knows or doesn't know?

we'll find out ... cause as you say, the players are the same so if this offense falls on it's arse then i guess everyone under-estimated the impact of saunders.
or the offense willl just be old

KCBOSS1
01-21-2006, 10:43 AM
You know, what I really don't get about this forum is how guys can't just post their opinion about chiefs stuff or whatever without being stupid toward each other.

I think that both points of view are not totally wrong in this thread. I do think that Al Saunders offensive construction is genius and there is no way that we would be here without him. But I think that he even admitted to the team and apologized that he moved into some real conservative play calling and was probably responsible for our losing a few games this year.....hense we're out. I also understand that he is not open to Trent being spontaneous at the line. Trent is a great football mind and I hope that this change gives him more freedom. Al constructed an incredible offense that I believe will not be a problem to take over. How good we will now be at play calling will remain to be seen. I guarantee that there will be screw ups, regardless of who is at the helm. Then the arm-chair coaches and quarterbacks who couldn't begin to do what any one of these guys do can get on the computer and hammer and be stupid at each other some more.

KCChiefsMan
01-21-2006, 10:46 AM
is this thread a joke? while I'm happy that Mike Solari got the promotion because he's produced a great line for many years, but to say screw Al Saunders makes me think that you will agree with anything the Chiefs do. Saunders has produced the best offense for the past 4 years in the NFL. Come on, please tell me I did not sense the sarcasm in this ridiculous thread

unlurking
01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Umm, to all those calling people idiots for thinking that AS didn't know how to utilize LJ, weren't there already comments from players regarding the fact that MS and AS did not get along on this fact when Priest went down? I could have sworn there was a thread about there being "heated" discussions during one of the games mid-season (Oakland or Buffalo maybe). Also, isn't MS the one who draws up all of the running plays?

Personally, I think the largest portion of credit for our running game should go to Solari, not AS or DV if all this is true. Since we are a running team first, the loss of AS in my book is pretty minimal.

Cochise
01-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, screw Al Saunders. He never did a thing for us. What a jerk.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
01-21-2006, 12:13 PM
or the offense willl just be old
always best to have a fall back excuse, eh?

actually i think the offense will be younger overall next year

Johnson instead of holmes
shields replaced with welborn/black

FringeNC
01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
is this thread a joke? while I'm happy that Mike Solari got the promotion because he's produced a great line for many years, but to say screw Al Saunders makes me think that you will agree with anything the Chiefs do. Saunders has produced the best offense for the past 4 years in the NFL. Come on, please tell me I did not sense the sarcasm in this ridiculous thread

Idiots think this whole offense is LJ. They forget the 30 passes in the first half against Denver that opened up the run for LJ in the 4th quarter. They are nothing but Gun-loving, Martyball-loving smashmouth homers.

unlurking
01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Idiots think this whole offense is LJ. They forget the 30 passes in the first half against Denver that opened up the run for LJ in the 4th quarter. They are nothing but Gun-loving, Martyball-loving smashmouth homers.
Hey, I'm not saying screw AS at all. I just happen to think the running game (which truly is our offense strength) should be credited to the people that built it. I don't believe that person is only AS. I like having a passing offense as well, I just don't think we will lose as much as many people think. I may be wrong, but I'll still be rooting in September.

FringeNC
01-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey, I'm not saying screw AS at all. I just happen to think the running game (which truly is our offense strength) should be credited to the people that built it. I don't believe that person is only AS. I like having a passing offense as well, I just don't think we will lose as much as many people think. I may be wrong, but I'll still be rooting in September.

My comments weren't necessarily directed at you. And those of us who appreciate Saunders don't think this offense is going to go to hell just because Saunders left. He did a hell of a job teaching these guys how to play the Coryell system. I think Solari will do a fine job next year. But this football team will still have DV and AS stamp on it. It is their offense, and Solari is the caretaker....just the 49ers had Bill Walsh's stamp on it long after he left.

unlurking
01-21-2006, 12:59 PM
My comments weren't necessarily directed at you. And those of us who appreciate Saunders don't think this offense is going to go to hell just because Saunders left. He did a hell of a job teaching these guys how to play the Coryell system. I think Solari will do a fine job next year. But this football team will still have DV and AS stamp on it. It is their offense, and Solari is the caretaker....just the 49ers had Bill Walsh's stamp on it long after he left.
That I can agree with, at least in the passing game. From everything I've read (and maybe assumed whether correctly or not), the running game has Solari's stamp on it, while the passing game is Saunders's. Together, they work great, but I do have a personal preference for watching great running backs. I like smash mouth football, but I also like finesse style play from the blocking scheme. Right now, this running game has both, and I love it. I like passing as well, just not as much. That's not a statement about what I think is required to win games or more important to an offense (I think you need both), I just like to watch running plays more, because it is easier to see the skill throughout the entire play. My brain isn't what it used to be, and concentrating on the intricacies (sp?) of route running takes too much concentration. ;)

I wouldn't say screw Saunders, but if we could only keep him or Solari, I would choose Solari. If we could have kept status quo (which I don't think many people here truly believe), I would go with that.

I am very interested to see what happens in the passing game this year. I think many people are afraid we'll go away from the passing game, but I really don't think that's possible. We'd be hard pressed to run the ball more than we already do. I would like to see a little more play action, and a little less "cute" (2 yard pass behind the LOS, fake double reverse, etc.), but I think a lot of those "cute" plays were to help to disguise a weak WR corp. I really think we need a strong WR FA.

OK, quitting rambling.

milkman
01-21-2006, 02:40 PM
That I can agree with, at least in the passing game. From everything I've read (and maybe assumed whether correctly or not), the running game has Solari's stamp on it, while the passing game is Saunders's. Together, they work great, but I do have a personal preference for watching great running backs. I like smash mouth football, but I also like finesse style play from the blocking scheme. Right now, this running game has both, and I love it. I like passing as well, just not as much. That's not a statement about what I think is required to win games or more important to an offense (I think you need both), I just like to watch running plays more, because it is easier to see the skill throughout the entire play. My brain isn't what it used to be, and concentrating on the intricacies (sp?) of route running takes too much concentration. ;)

I wouldn't say screw Saunders, but if we could only keep him or Solari, I would choose Solari. If we could have kept status quo (which I don't think many people here truly believe), I would go with that.

I am very interested to see what happens in the passing game this year. I think many people are afraid we'll go away from the passing game, but I really don't think that's possible. We'd be hard pressed to run the ball more than we already do. I would like to see a little more play action, and a little less "cute" (2 yard pass behind the LOS, fake double reverse, etc.), but I think a lot of those "cute" plays were to help to disguise a weak WR corp. I really think we need a strong WR FA.

OK, quitting rambling.

The ground game with LJ as the featured back looked a lot like the Chargers with Chuck Muncie as the Chargers featured back, so I am not so sure of Solari's stamp in that aspect.

As to the cute plays, I agree with the idea that those were designed to disguise a weak WR corps.

Let's hope that Samie and Crap show enough growth that we can see the passing game expand.

DomerNKC
01-21-2006, 02:42 PM
didnt want to see saunders go (btw where is OUR 4th rounder?) oc to oc should be some compensation. anyways solari is gonna be sufficient, our best "coach" of the offensive system wears #10.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 02:45 PM
If there is one thing hopefully Solari can improve upon, its trying to get Tony Gonzalez more involved in the Red Zone.

Bowser
01-21-2006, 02:46 PM
If there is one thing hopefully Solari can improve upon, its trying to get Tony Gonzalez more involved in the Red Zone.

Why? His blocking skills have greatly improved the last few years.

[/sarcasm]

milkman
01-21-2006, 02:51 PM
didnt want to see saunders go (btw where is OUR 4th rounder?) oc to oc should be some compensation. anyways solari is gonna be sufficient, our best "coach" of the offensive system wears #10.

Carl could have been an even bigger asshole and told Al that he couldn't speak with any team about a position other than HC, but Al's contract would have expired after the SB, so he was leaving regardless.

Halfcan
01-21-2006, 04:04 PM
So now since Al is gone LJ will get the rushing record? I seem to remember a lot of threads about LJ sucking, but now he is the whole team? Our line is the key to the offense, not LJ. Plus we have had one of the most accurate QB's in the league. PH will be back so that should help to mix it up also.

CoMoChief
01-21-2006, 04:05 PM

Dont fix what isnt broken buddy. 30ppg, 250pass/150rush (400 yds of offense per game), 7-8 Pro Bowl starters. If you are complaining about some of the bad play calling (which I might add that all teams have some bad play calling sometimes) then youre nuts. The great things this offense has done in the past 4 seasons is like non other, and greatly overshadpws some of the very few games in which the offense didnt show up. If you think back hard enough, you could probably count all of those bad offensive games on one hand (out of 65 games).

Boyceofsummer
01-21-2006, 04:51 PM
game clinching drive? At Green Bay? We gave the Broncos every opportunity to take the last game at Arrowhead. I will remember the goal-line series at Dallas for years to come. We settle for a field goal and we beat Dallas, the Steelers are out. Having said that I am greatful that the Steelers made the post season. Our Chiefs were not ready for the playoffs. Surprise!

trndobrd
01-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Why? His blocking skills have greatly improved the last few years.

[/sarcasm]

Come to think of it, so have Trent Green's

KcMizzou
01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
game clinching drive? At Green Bay? We gave the Broncos every opportunity to take the last game at Arrowhead. I will remember the goal-line series at Dallas for years to come. We settle for a field goal and we beat Dallas, the Steelers are out. Having said that I am greatful that the Steelers made the post season. Our Chiefs were not ready for the playoffs. Surprise!Raiders... at Arrowhead this year?

jidar
01-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh Look. Hands down the Best Offensive Coordinator in the NFL had predictable play calling! This guy his wife totally knew what we were doing all the time! Since the FACTS show that AS was the best performing OC in the NFL, I wonder why this dude and his wife aren't coaches in the NFL? If they're so much better than AS they would make millions!

Halfcan
01-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Oh Look. Hands down the Best Offensive Coordinator in the NFL had predictable play calling! This guy his wife totally knew what we were doing all the time! Since the FACTS show that AS was the best performing OC in the NFL, I wonder why this dude and his wife aren't coaches in the NFL? If they're so much better than AS they would make millions!

AS was very predictable, but that doesn't mean the other team could stop them. Hell the D would show 8 man fronts and we would run it anyway. I hated all the triple reverse shit when we are 5 yards out from scoring.

AS was awesome but now its time for a change. I hope our new OC brings a new toughness and smash mouth football liked they played the last two games.

Cochise
01-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I don't really know how anyone can regard Saunders as anything other than what he is - one of the best 2 or 3 offensive coordinators in football.

That being said, if you were told at your job that you had zero chance of ever getting a promotion, wouldn't you think about going someplace else?

I think that Carl led him to believe he would be seriously considered for the HC job, and then when Vermeil retired and Carl went after Herm without giving Saunders anything more than polite consideration, Saunders may have been justifiably upset.

I wish he were still here, but I don't blame him.

Guru
01-21-2006, 06:45 PM

It was Al's passing game that created all those yards for LJ. LJ stilled EARNED them on his own but Al created the opportunity. Now we will see if LJ is all that.

Don't get me wrong, I love LJ and hope he continues the incredible run he is on, but to suggest that Al did not know how to use him is just plain ludicrious.
:shake:

Cochise
01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love LJ and hope he continues the incredible run he is on, but to suggest that Al did not know how to use him is just plain ludicrious.
:shake:

LJ was on a Jim Brown-like pace this season. If he did all that with Al Saunders not knowing how to use him then he might be the greatest athlete in human history. What's he going to do with someone who does? 5,000 rushing yards?

Jeez people... don't argue with results. The Chiefs offense made mistakes now and again, but they were still one of the best offenses in the league. You aren't going to get perfection from any group of human beings. Not gonna happen.

Logical
01-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Al did a great job but we are not doomed without him. Solari will be good.I believe we all hope so, I really have seen no panic.

I do think it is reasonable to wonder whether Solari has the ability to call an NFL game. Having only 1 year as an O-coordinator at Pitt gives us no real indication.