PDA

View Full Version : Could the Chiefs find a role for Mike Martz?

KCChiefsFan88
01-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Mike Martz is indicating now he'd be willing to accept an offensive assistant coaching job if he doesn't get an NFL head coaching job (which seems unlikely that he will now), and that he "just wants to coach".

How about a role for Martz on the Chiefs offensive coaching staff? Maybe something like Associate offensive coordinator/Passing game coach or something to that effect. Letting Martz work with the passing game would only enhance the Chiefs offense and since Solari hasn't worked as closely with the passing game in the past, it would be valuable support for Solari IMO.

Bowser
01-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Run-n-Shoot offense.

Dunit35
01-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Mike Martz.

JBucc
01-21-2006, 04:09 PM
If he wants to be some sort of advisor I'd be fine with that

FringeNC
01-21-2006, 04:09 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. How could come in a few days a week, and help coordinate the passing attack for the upcoming game.

John Matrix
01-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm not a Martz fan, but I do like the idea of finding him a figurehead title and letting him work w/ the passing game the same way that Solari used to do w/ the running game. Associate Head Coach and Passing Game Coordinator sounds like it might work. Besides, Martz already knows Trent's stengths and weaknesses, having worked w/ him in Washington and St. Louis. However, Dan Snyder will probably pay him 14 million dollars a year to do the same thing for the Redskins.

the Talking Can
01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
yeah, he could be in charge of getting our QB killed....he was a master of that in St. Louis..

trndobrd
01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I think the Chiefs organization has a job for Mike Martz. Plenty of fresh air and exercise for that bad ticker.

Thig Lyfe
01-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I have a roll for mike martz.

http://uncyclopedia.org/images/c/c8/Roll.jpg

Old Dog
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I guess he could stand out in one of the parking booths and hand out "Tailgate Times".

Bearcat
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Can he be in charge of throwing the red flag? I hear he has lots of experience.

milkman
01-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm not a Martz fan, but I do like the idea of finding him a figurehead title and letting him work w/ the passing game the same way that Solari used to do w/ the running game. Associate Head Coach and Passing Game Coordinator sounds like it might work. Besides, Martz already knows Trent's stengths and weaknesses, having worked w/ him in Washington and St. Louis. However, Dan Snyder will probably pay him 14 million dollars a year to do the same thing for the Redskins.

Dan Snyder is already paying Al Saunders in that role.

The Skins already have an OC.
They haven't, as yet, given Al a title.

Look for it to be something like Associate HC, Offense.

Gregg Williams is Ass. HC, defense, with Greg Blache as DC.

Frankie
01-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Mike Martz is indicating now he'd be willing to accept an offensive assistant coaching job if he doesn't get an NFL head coaching job (which seems unlikely that he will now), and that he "just wants to coach".

How about a role for Martz on the Chiefs offensive coaching staff? Maybe something like Associate offensive coordinator/Passing game coach or something to that effect. Letting Martz work with the passing game would only enhance the Chiefs offense and since Solari hasn't worked as closely with the passing game in the past, it would be valuable support for Solari IMO.Something tells me Martz would have the same effect on the Chiefs staff as Gansz Sr did on Mackovic's staff. Big coaching talent, but poisonous ambition.

Halfcan
01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
We could always use someone to clean up the piss dribles of the bathroom floor.

Just say no to KMartz!

CoMoChief
01-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Im not a big fan of any coach who believes turnovers dont really matter in a ballgame.

Rausch
01-21-2006, 07:04 PM
How about a role for Martz on the Chiefs offensive coaching staff?

How 'bout driving a 9 inch ice pick up yer' nose with a hammer?...

Bug
01-21-2006, 07:36 PM
No

Skip Towne
01-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Hell of an idea.

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 08:15 PM
We have a winner!

steelyeyed57
01-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Something tells me Martz would have the same effect on the Chiefs staff as Gansz Sr did on Mackovic's staff. Big coaching talent, but poisonous ambition.

I agree. I would add that having to many "chiefs not enough indians" (forgive the easily applicable cliche) in charge of the offense might not be very good either. I think sometimes too much input from others can inhibit intuitive playcallers (if Solari proves to be one).

jspchief
01-21-2006, 08:22 PM
It would only be a matter of time before Martz's ego became a problem. No thank you.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 09:37 PM
I love old Mad Mike. Hes not as bad as some of you guys think. As long as he just stays an offensive guy and doesnt become a head coach, hes damn near Genious. That 99 Rams offense was one of the finest, most pure forms of offensive football i have ever witnessed. Id love to have him as a consultant.

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I love old Mad Mike. Hes not as bad as some of you guys think. As long as he just stays an offensive guy and doesnt become a head coach, hes damn near Genious. That 99 Rams offense was one of the finest, most pure forms of offensive football i have ever witnessed. Id love to have him as a consultant.
That seals the deal for me. If Douchebag_1990 wants Martz in here, there's no way in hell I'm for it.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 09:50 PM
That seals the deal for me. If Douchebag_1990 wants Martz in here, there's no way in hell I'm for it.

Hes been a crucial part of 2 Super Bowl teams. How could you not want a part of that if hes available???

4th and Long
01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Hes been a crucial part of 2 Super Bowl teams. How could you not want a part of that if hes available???
Those teams had superior offensive talent, which had little to do with Martz or his ability. Since that talent has evaporated, Martz has looked like a total idiot and his team has sucked ass. He can't even manage a clock, let alone our offense. I'll stick with Solari and his choices, which I guarendamntee you, will NOT include Martz.

Mecca
01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Martz is fine to have around, as long as you have a head coach to weed out his stupid ideas. See the Rams Superbowl win.

Martz has also repeatedly said that he doesn't want to be an OC, he just wants to be a head coach. So I highly doubt he'd be interested in a job under OC.

Basileus777
01-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Martz is fine to have around, as long as you have a head coach to weed out his stupid ideas. See the Rams Superbowl win.

Martz has also repeatedly said that he doesn't want to be an OC, he just wants to be a head coach. So I highly doubt he'd be interested in a job under OC.

He has said he wouldn't mind being something other than HC, but its clear that would only be until he got a HC job.

Ralphy Boy
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Look, I loved DV, and I can't stand Martz. He's an arrogant prick who not only thinks his shit doesn't stink, he pretty much thinks it smells like roses. But the reality is that without him DV never would have won a superbowl. Martz knows this offense and he plays with big brass balls. Not only should Carl bring him in to be an offensive assistant, he better, because if Solari fails after he let Saunders go, he's gonna look like an even bigger dick than he already does.

Martz was at his best when he had a head coach to answer to, he started to believe his own press clippings in St Louis after the Superbowl win and really thought he knew it all. His medical issue along with getting fired after posting a phenomenal record with StL has humbled him, what's humbled him even more is not being able to find a head coaching job after all the young kids could. He would be on his best behavior here because he wants Carl to vouch for him to other GM's when his name does get brought up for a HC job.

The guy will get another shot and he deserves it, but we'd be stupid to not ask the guy, who knows our offense & QB as well as anyone, to be a part of the team.

There isn't one good reason to not bring him in, if he can't find a HC or OC job elsewhere.

My guess is he ends up in Oakland after greasy old Al Davis wakes up and takes his meds that will keep him conscious long enough to hire him. The guy's got some money tied up in his receivers and I think he probably wants to pass the ball. For that matter, I won't be suprised to see him end up in Denver as the OC if Kubiak gets the Houston job. If that happens, look for Bell to start to resemble Faulk & Lelie to resemble Holt and God forbid, Plummer look better than he has this season.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:09 AM
My guess is, NO ONE picks him up, based soley on his recent health issues. I'd find it hard to hire him as my OC, only to have him go south on me, mid-season.

Basileus777
01-22-2006, 01:24 AM
For that matter, I won't be suprised to see him end up in Denver as the OC if Kubiak gets the Houston job. If that happens, look for Bell to start to resemble Faulk & Lelie to resemble Holt and God forbid, Plummer look better than he has this season.

I find this extremely unlikely and Martz would be a terible fit for Denver. Denver runs a WCO, how would Martz fit there? Besides could Shanahan ever coexist with him?

savedin79
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Sure! Clean the toilets.

ck_IN
01-22-2006, 01:47 AM
<i>There isn't one good reason to not bring him in</i>

The is one very good reason not to bring him. That would be the fact that we're a run based team now, not a pass based one. With LJ at tailback we're a power run team not a pass happy one.

Martz only wants to throw the ball. Bringing him in to run the O would be the quickest way to run LJ out of town, not that I think he has any intention of staying anyway.