PDA

View Full Version : Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

jAZ
01-21-2006, 11:08 PM
This is one thing that I've never understood.

Some smokers won't throw any regular garbage in the street, but they will pitch a 100 butts a day anywhere but the ashtray.

John Matrix
01-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Why does everyone hate you so?

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Because it pisses people off.

Why do tobacco Nazis want to outlaw smoking, because it kills, but don't have a problem with alcohol?

When was the last time a guy smoked a pack and killed a family of four head on?...

Dunit35
01-21-2006, 11:18 PM

Why do tobacco Nazis want to outlaw smoking, because it kills, but don't have a problem with alcohol?

When was the last time a guy smoked a pack and killed a family of four head on?...

Good point.

John Matrix
01-21-2006, 11:21 PM
I was referring to Jaz...everyone seems to hate him b/c of his propensity to start political threads...why all the hate?

Bwana
01-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I was referring to Jaz...everyone seems to hate him b/c of his propensity to start political threads...why all the hate?

Because he is a pecker head? :shrug:

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I don't hate him.

I can't agree with him on $#it, but I don't hate him.

jAZ
01-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Some lady was smoking in line at the drive threw and tossed her butt out into the gravel landscape. I've just never understood the mass change of behavior between littering cigarettes and littering burger wrappers.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 11:33 PM

Good point, but if someone is sitting next to me and wants to drink himself under the table, thats his perogative and doesnt affect me at all. If a guy is next to me and smoking, his smoke inevitably drifts over in my face, I have to inhale it and we have a problem.

Sully
01-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I'll take a shot at this, as a non-smoker it's just a guess.
It's because if someone has trash in their car, they can set it aside, and toss it in the next receptacle they get to. The reason peole don't use their ashtrays, is because they don't want to reek up their car with the smell, thus the flicing out the window...
... this is just a guess.

jAZ
This isn't intended (by me anyway) to be a bitch about public smoking thread.

Rausch
Good point, but if someone is sitting next to me and wants to drink himself under the table, thats his perogative and doesnt affect me at all. If a guy is next to me and smoking, his smoke inevitably drifts over in my face, I have to inhale it and we have a problem.

That drunk will kill you before 2nd hand smoke.

It's uncomfortable for non-smokers to inhale 2nd hand smoke.

Letting some guy get completely $#ithoused at the bar and leave is lethal immediately.

But not to you, so you don't give a damn...

Nzoner
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
but they will pitch a 100 butts a day anywhere but the ashtray.

Exaggerate much?

KcMizzou
01-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Exaggerate much?What, you're not a 5 pack a day smoker? ROFL

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Exaggerate much?

No kidding.

I didn't smoke 100 all of 37 weekend....

Nzoner
01-21-2006, 11:40 PM
What, you're not a 5 pack a day smoker? ROFL

Only if I'm drinking myself under the table and sitting next to someone like Deberg

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Only if I'm drinking myself under the table and sitting next to someone like Deberg

hahah..i knew it! You smokers just love to intentionally blow smoke in the non-smokers face!

jAZ
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Exaggerate much?
Yes.

Rausch
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
hahah..i knew it! You smokers just love to intentionally blow smoke in the non-smokers face!

Yep... :)

luv
01-21-2006, 11:49 PM
People who I know that smoke only do that to the people near them who are whining about them smoking.

KC Jones
01-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Smokers are filthy disgusting worthless scumbags, that's why. They don't give a shit about anything, so they toss their butts anywhere and everywhere. If you bring it up, they just try to change the subject to drinking or something like that - but they never actually address the issue directly. We should just off the ****ers... and people that own pit bulls too. Throw in Donkey fans and you pretty much have utopia with only good and decent people left.

Nzoner
01-21-2006, 11:54 PM

No,I just have a problem with someone sitting next to me in a SMOKING AREA that has a problem with my smoke drifting into their face.

Frazod
I quit five months ago, feel better and have no intention of starting again. Two-plus decades was enough.

But I'm one of those rare ex-smokers who didn't turn into a total dick. While I may shy away from the smoked-filled neighborhood tavern, I'll still visit my smoking friends, and as long as they aren't blowing smoke in my face, I'm fine with it. I also realize that if a 21 year pack a day habit didn't kill me, neither will walking through a wisp of smoke on a city sidewalk. And I couldn't criticize others for smoking when I personally did it myself for so long. Ah, the trials and tribulations of NOT being a hypocrit.

And I still see the anti-smoking c#cksuckers who have used the media and public stupidity to push through smoking bans all over the country (including, sadly, as of January 16, Chicago) for what they are, fascists. Fascists who want smoking done away with not because of any sort of health detriment, but merely because they don't personally like it, and their wills and beliefs must be imposed on the rest of us at any cost.

When I smoked, I knew that if I tossed a butt out the window of my car, or dropped it on the sidewalk and stepped on it, that one of these Nazi assclowns would see it and get pissed off. And I can't think of a better reason to do it.

My only regret about smoking is that I never got to blow smoke in the face of the president of the American Cancer Society. 4321

Pitt Gorilla
Some idiot blew smoke in my 2yr-old son's face. I quietly put his cigarette out in his sandwich. Nothing happened after that, so I think he got the point.

On the subject of littering, how lazy/irresponsible do you have to be to litter at all? Have some pride.

luv
01-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I quit five months ago, feel better and have no intention of starting again. Two-plus decades was enough.

But I'm one of those rare ex-smokers who didn't turn into a total dick. While I may shy away from the smoked-filled neighborhood tavern, I'll still visit my smoking friends, and as long as they aren't blowing smoke in my face, I'm fine with it. I also realize that if a 21 year pack a day habit didn't kill me, neither will walking through a wisp of smoke on a city sidewalk. And I couldn't criticize others for smoking when I personally did it myself for so long. Ah, the trials and tribulations of NOT being a hypocrit.

And I still see the anti-smoking c#cksuckers who have used the media and public stupidity to push through smoking bans all over the country (including, sadly, as of January 16, Chicago) for what they are, fascists. Fascists who want smoking done away with not because of any sort of health detriment, but merely because they don't personally like it, and their wills and beliefs must be imposed on the rest of us at any cost.

When I smoked, I knew that if I tossed a butt out the window of my car, or dropped it on the sidewalk and stepped on it, that one of these Nazi assclowns would see it and get pissed off. And I can't think of a better reason to do it.

My only regret about smoking is that I never got to blow smoke in the face of the president of the American Cancer Society. 4321
While I, too, disagree with public smoking bans, I have to say the the ACS has done too much for cancer research to disrespect like that.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:01 AM
While I, too, disagree with public smoking bans, I have to say the the ACS has done too much for cancer research to disrespect like that.

Whatever. I hate these people.

Nzoner
01-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Some idiot blew smoke in my 2yr-old son's face. I quietly put his cigarette out in his sandwich.

Just curious,were you sitting in the smoking section?

Personally,if I'm with or around non-smokers in a tight area I'll have the courtesy to ask if they mind.If I'm sitting in a designated smoking area then I just light up.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Smokers are filthy disgusting worthless scumbags, that's why. They don't give a shit about anything, so they toss their butts anywhere and everywhere. If you bring it up, they just try to change the subject to drinking or something like that - but they never actually address the issue directly. We should just off the ****ers... and people that own pit bulls too. Throw in Donkey fans and you pretty much have utopia with only good and decent people left.

This?

From a vamp-......er......I mean lawyer? :hmmm:

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:04 AM
This?

Well, actually it explains a lot.

Miles
01-22-2006, 12:06 AM

I don't have a problem with any of the smoking bans so long as they don't also include bars (which is starting to become common). Your point there applies well to the bar bans. Kind of hard to for those groups to apply the heath argument to places people go to drink.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I have to say the the ACS has done too much for cancer research
Please site some impressive examples.

Baconeater
What a bunch of bullshit. I'm a smoker, I don't litter, I respect other non-smokers enough that I make sure when I smoke it's not bothering anyone. Don't fukking stereotype us.

Rausch
I don't have a problem with any of the smoking bans so long as they don't also include bars (which is starting to become common). Your point there applies well to the bar bans. Kind of hard to for those groups to apply the heath argument to places people go to drink.

I have no problem with smoking bans on public property or govt. buildings.

Private property is a whole nother issue. You want a no-smoking bar, that's cool with me, but not having the right to have a smoking bar is bull$#it...

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:13 AM
I don't have a problem with any of the smoking bans so long as they don't also include bars (which is starting to become common). Your point there applies well to the bar bans.

My office building has a smoking lounge, completely enclosed with a high-powered filtration system. Nobody went in there unless they wanted to smoke. Even after I quit, I never smelled smoke in the adjoining hall.

Of course, no one can use that room now because of the ban.

The ironic thing is that now non-smokers outside the building will be both smelling and breathing smoke from the people who would otherwise be sitting in the lounge minding their own business.

And of course, they'll whine about it. :deevee:

Sybil
01-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Why does everyone hate you so?

Do you really have to ask? Bet you weren't the valedictorian of your class...

John Matrix
01-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I actually like smoking bans in the bars...I hate the 'bar smell' of clothes and your hair the next day. I can see why some people would be pissed about it though, given that one vice is sold and the other is prohibited

Sybil
01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Yes.

Exaggerate? More like partisan psychotic demagoguery.

Miles
01-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I have no problem with smoking bans on public property or govt. buildings.

Private property is a whole nother issue. You want a no-smoking bar, that's cool with me, but not having the right to have a smoking bar is bull$#it...

Yeah I definitly disagree with the bans on that aspect and would much prefer for business to decide for themselves. The bar ones are just BS.

The optional thing works well enough around here with smoking and non-smoking bars. Go to your preference rather than some BS interest group that may not even go to bars lobby to make it f*cking law.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I actually like smoking bans in the bars...I hate the 'bar smell' of clothes and your hair the next day. I can see why some people would be pissed about it though, given that one vice is sold and the other is prohibited

Then go somewhere you can drink that's no smoking.

There are plenty of places to go. Of course, my rights aren't as important as smelling minty fresh.

It's like going to a strip club and complaining about people having a potty mouth...

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:19 AM
I hate the 'bar smell' of clothes and your hair the next day.
http://www.trailwood.com/western_home_decor/horseshoe_decor/soap_dish/soap_dish_713.jpg
+
http://www.artistcraft.com/assets/home_main.jpg
+
http://images.acmehardware.com/200x200/4115044.jpg
+
http://www.consumerreports.org/content/Categories/Appliances/Reports/Images/0406was401.jpg

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Good luck with that. There is far too much $$$ to be made in cancer treatment for any of this cure shit to ever happen (and yes, I am cynical enough to believe that).

Seriously - somebody cures cancer tomorrow, and how many millions of people who have been enriched by its treatment would be put out of a job? I'm sure they'd all be thrilled. Look for BP to seriously invest in solar energy, too.

I suspect the cure for cancer has been hidden in a big vault of some giant pharmaceutical company for many years, along the skeletonized corpses of the team that discovered it.

Rain Man
01-22-2006, 12:20 AM
I must say that seeing a smoker throw a cigarette butt on the ground annoys me immensely. I view it no differently than them throwing a hamburger wrapper or piece of paper onto the ground. It's rude and it makes the Indians cry.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.trailwood.com/western_home_decor/horseshoe_decor/soap_dish/soap_dish_713.jpg
+
http://www.artistcraft.com/assets/home_main.jpg
+
http://images.acmehardware.com/200x200/4115044.jpg
+
http://www.consumerreports.org/content/Categories/Appliances/Reports/Images/0406was401.jpg

ROFL

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Good luck with that. There is far to much $$$ to be made in cancer treatment for any of this cure shit to ever happen (and yes, I am cynical enough to believe that).

Seriously - somebody cures cancer tomorrow, and how many millions of people who have been enriched by its treatment would be put out of a job? I'm sure they'd all be thrilled. Look for BP to seriously invest in solar energy, too.

I suspect the cure for cancer has been hidden in a big vault of some giant pharmaceutical company for many years, along the skeletonized corpses of the team that discovered it.
That's why I posed the question. They really haven't done jack shit for cancer treatment. Anyone with an advanced stage of cancer, even in the 21st century, has a slim chance of living a long life. There are sooooooooo many forms of cancer out there that it's really hard to keep track of. To say that the ACS has done a lot for cancer is like sayng the American Beef Council has done a lot to save the lives of innocent cows.

luv
Not research related, but here are some good programs:

Cancer Survivors Network
Relay For Life
Camp Hope

Smoking is not the only cause of cancer. I have several relatives who are either cancer survivors, or who have died from cancer who never smoked. While the ACS does raise funding for research, they also offer other avenues for people looking for information, people looking for emotional support, etc.

Like I said, I'm not against smokers, but I am for the ACS.

Rausch
I must say that seeing a smoker throw a cigarette butt on the ground annoys me immensely. I view it no differently than them throwing a hamburger wrapper or piece of paper onto the ground. It's rude and it makes the Indians cry.

Yeah, I'd really hate to ruin my good name, being a cracker, to the native Americans...

Rain Man
01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I should mention one exception to my littering rule. A friend of mine and I walked out to his car one day many years ago, and some idiot had stuck a flyer on his windshield (Lose weight now...earn money at home...be a hit man in your spare time...something like that). He crumpled it up and threw it on the ground, and I was stunned at the actions of this otherwise solid citizen.

I started to admonish him, and he said that if everyone threw those things on the ground, the owners of the mall would eventually start patrolling the place and making sure it stopped happening. I thought he was a genius, so I started doing it.

I've done it for years now. If someone puts a flyer on my windshield, I just throw it onto the ground. Whoever owns the property will take action if they get tired enough of picking up hundreds of those trashy things.

Of course, it was a little embarrassing a few months ago when I did that, and this woman made a production of coming over, picking it up, and carrying it over to a trash can. She didn't want to listen to my explanation, either. What an ecoterrorist.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:27 AM
ROFL
Well come on, that phrase he used was just not well thought out. It was almost like he was trying to make us all believe he never showers or washes his clothes unless, God forbid, he comes in contact with someone who *gasp* SMOKES!

Taco John
01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Has the "Poll Smokers" joke already been made in this thread... I probably shouldn't leave it open ended, but what the hell...

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:32 AM
That's why I posed the question. They really haven't done jack shit for cancer treatment. Anyone with an advanced stage of cancer, even in the 21st century, has a slim chance of living a long life. There are sooooooooo many forms of cancer out there that it's really hard to keep track of. To say that the ACS has done a lot for cancer is like sayng the American Beef Council has done a lot to save the lives of innocent cows.

Congratulations. You may well be smart enough to also realize that if a pregnant woman breathes in five minutes worth of second hand smoke, from a single cigarette being smoked 20 feet away, her fetus will not suddenly and irrevocably grow a third arm and become instantly crack-addicted.

Of course, you will not be invited to any ACS monthly meetings.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Well come on, that phrase he used was just not well thought out. It was almost like he was trying to make us all believe he never showers or washes his clothes unless, God forbid, he comes in contact with someone who *gasp* SMOKES!

It's just like the idiots at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln who bitch about people smoking outside the gates, but don't seem to be bothered by the buses lined up along the sidewalk with their engines running spewing out diesel exhaust into the whole crowd.

luv
01-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Congratulations. You may well be smart enough to also realize that if a pregnant woman breathes in five minutes worth of second hand smoke, from a single cigarette being smoked 20 feet away, her fetus will not suddenly and irrevocably grow a third arm and become instantly crack-addicted.

I knew a girl who smoked all through her pregnancy (she switched to ultra lights...lol), and nothing happened to her baby at all.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Cancer Survivors Network
Relay For Life
Camp Hope
Cancer Survivors Networks: Hello and welcome! You've entered a vibrant community established by people just like you whose lives have been touched by cancer. We hope you'll find strength and inspiration from our personal stories, discussions and expressions of caring.

A VIBRANT COMMUNITY! I'm envisioning a place with really bright colors on the wall.

Lives TOUCHED by cancer! Is this like, Touched By An Angel?

Strength and inspiration! - Read the Bible.

What a crock of shit.

Relay For Life: Relay For Life is a fun-filled overnight event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of your American Cancer Society. During the event, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds, or parks and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.

This isn't about cancer, it's about making people stay up all night to walk or run for some money that won't be used to find a cure for cancer. Hell, you can donate to the ACS, WITHOUT the walking and running. Talk about pointless.

Camp Hope: Camp HOPE (Helping Other's Pain End) is a wonderful place in central Wisconsin where children and teenagers gather to work through the grieving process after a loved one dies. The camp gently guides the children and teenagers through the complex emotions by showing them that they are not alone.

This is a place to shove your kids off, because you can't handle being a parent and talking to them about death.

HOPE stands for HELPING OTHER'S PAIN END. I fully expect jack Kavorkian to greet me when I arrive.

Baconeater
I knew a girl who smoked all through her pregnancy (she switched to ultra lights...lol), and nothing happened to her baby at all.

That kid will most certainly grow up to be a serial rapist.

Frazod
It's just like the idiots at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln who bitch about people smoking outside the gates, but don't seem to be bothered by the buses lined up along the sidewalk with their engines running spewing out diesel exhaust into the whole crowd.

Also because of Chicago's new smoking ban, you can't smoke on the concourses at either of the Metra stations downtown. But you can breath in the diesel fumes of dozens of locomotives in an enclosed space. Yahoo!

Rausch
01-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Not research related, but here are some good programs:

Cancer Survivors Network
Relay For Life
Camp Hope

Smoking is not the only cause of cancer. I have several relatives who are either cancer survivors, or who have died from cancer. While the ACS does raise funding for research, they also offer other avenues for people looking for information, people looking for emotional support, etc.

Like I said, I'm not against smokers, but I am for the ACS.

Ok, so:

Alcohol
Red meat
Radiation
Pesticides (on pretty much all produce)
genetics (just being born)
and even fugging sunlight can cause cancer.

The government has tested over 90 atomic bombs in our own damned country in the last 50 years.

But it's the 2nd hand smoke you have to worry about?

And people wonder why cancer is such a problem?...

Hell, look at this map (http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/map/map.withimage.php?00&001&001&00&0&2&9802&1&6&0#map) and tell me what you find odd about it. Then consider weather patterns in the US.

luv
01-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Cancer Survivors Networks: Hello and welcome! You've entered a vibrant community established by people just like you whose lives have been touched by cancer. We hope you'll find strength and inspiration from our personal stories, discussions and expressions of caring.

A VIBRANT COMMUNITY! I'm envisioning a place with really bright colors on the wall.

Lives TOUCHED by cancer! Is this like, Touched By An Angel?

Strength and inspiration! - Read the Bible.

What a crock of shit.

Relay For Life: Relay For Life is a fun-filled overnight event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of your American Cancer Society. During the event, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds, or parks and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.

This isn't about cancer, it's about making people stay up all night to walk or run for some money that won't be used to find a cure for cancer. Hell, you can donate to the ACS, WITHOUT the walking and running. Talk about pointless.

Camp Hope: Camp HOPE (Helping Other's Pain End) is a wonderful place in central Wisconsin where children and teenagers gather to work through the grieving process after a loved one dies. The camp gently guides the children and teenagers through the complex emotions by showing them that they are not alone.

This is a place to shove your kids off, because you can't handle being a parent and talking to them about death.

HOPE stands for HELPING OTHER'S PAIN END. I fully expect jack Kavorkian to greet me when I arrive.
Are you going to point out flaws in all of my posts from now on? Have fun, there are plenty of them out there, and plenty more to come.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:37 AM

Being in health care for 12+ years does tend to give me a slight edge over the common non-smoking goober who thinks second hand smoke is the leading cause of every illness and death related malady known to man.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Are you going to point out flaws in all of my posts from now on? Have fun, there are plenty of them out there, and plenty more to come.
Not at all. I'm just waiting for you to site an example of something the ACS has done that REALLY makes a difference to people battling cancer.

luv
01-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Not at all. I'm just waiting for you to site an example of something the ACS has done that REALLY makes a difference to people battling cancer.
They've made a difference to ME. That's why I am not against them. Have I, one time, dogged on smokers in this thread? No.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:43 AM

But... but... you mean... SHE DIDN'T INSTANTLY DIE??? :eek:

Actually I'm not in the least surprised, even though I know smoking doubles the risk of health problems, or triples them, or whatever else they're claiming today based on the latest quack study.

"Doubles the risk" is one of the healthnazis' favorite catchphrases - scares the shit out of the masses, but what it really means is "increases the odds of something bad happening from completely astronomical to merely astronomical."

4th and Long
Hell, look at this map (http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/map/map.withimage.php?00&001&001&00&0&2&9802&1&6&0#map) and tell me what you find odd about it. Then consider weather patterns in the US.
Sucks to live in the desert southwest, eh? I'm glad I don't live there, otherwise, I'd be worried that this lump on my back is really a third arm about to sprout.

Baconeater
They've made a difference to ME. That's why I am not against them. Have I, one time, dogged on smokers in this thread? No.

You used the word "smelly" once.

luv
01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
You used the word "smelly" once.
Quote it please.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
They've made a difference to ME. That's why I am not against them.
Then you should have said THAT the first time instead of saying, "I have to say the the ACS has done too much for cancer research to disrespect like that."

They haven't done jack shit for cancer RESEARCH!

Have I, one time, dogged on smokers in this thread? No.
That was never in question. :)

Logical
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM

Letting some guy get completely $#ithoused at the bar and leave is lethal immediately.

But not to you, so you don't give a damn...I believe smokers have forgotten how bad it feels to breath smoke, how bad smoke smells, and how oppresive it feels to be in a room filled with smoke. It is not all about health effects. It also makes your clothing and hair stink. Frankly it is a filthy and nasty environment that smokers choose to live in but should not expect others to suffer so they can be convenienced. You really cannot say that about the guy sitting at the next table drinking a beer or a shot of tequila.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Quote it please.

I suggested you take up smoking for some reason, and then you replied "then I'd be fat AND smelly".

4th and Long
I believe smokers have forgotten how bad it feels to breath smoke, how bad smoke smells, and how oppresive it feels to be in a room filled with smoke. It is not all about health effects. It also makes your clothing and hair stink. Frankly it is a filthy and nasty environment that smokers choose to live in but should not expect others to suffer so they can be convenienced. You really cannot say that about the guy sitting at the next table drinking a beer or a shot of tequila.
Until he throws up on you anyway ...

Miles
But... but... you mean... SHE DIDN'T INSTANTLY DIE??? :eek:

Actually I'm not in the least surprised, even though I know smoking doubles the risk of health problems, or triples them, or whatever else they're claiming today based on the latest quack study.

"Doubles the risk" is one of the healthnazis' favorite catchphrases - scares the shit out of the masses, but what it really means is "increases the odds of something bad happening from completely astronomical to merely astronomical."

Maybe the can have one of those "studies" to show that that the meaning of doubles the risk is not really that.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Being in health care for 12+ years does tend to give me a slight edge over the common non-smoking goober who thinks second hand smoke is the leading cause of every illness and death related malady known to man.

The sad thing is how successful the healthnazis media terror campaign has been. One of my friends, who is pregnant, was talking about seeing another pregnant woman smoking, in pretty much the same way I would talk about a pedophile priest. When I pointed out to her that the odds of anything bad happening to the baby were remote at best, she looked at me like I was crazy. And this is an otherwise reasonable, intelligent person.

luv
01-22-2006, 12:50 AM
I suggested you take up smoking for some reason, and then you replied "then I'd be fat AND smelly".
Was that in this thread?

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe the can have one of those "studies" to show that that the meaning of doubles the risk is not really that.
Eating food is bad for you. Drinking the water is bad for you. Breathing the air is bad for you. There are studies that say so. Perhaps everyone who is willing to cast stones at other for their little vices, even though they are 100% perfectly legal, should stop eating, breathing and drinking becasue of these studies as well. I think the bitching would come to quick end.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Sucks to live in the desert southwest, eh? I'm glad I don't live there, otherwise, I'd be worried that this lump on my back is really a third arm about to sprout.

That's the point.

Outside of Nevada (gee, wonder why) the death rates of people with cancer are much lower in the southwest and Cali.

Same on the other coast.

But not the midwest, where a $#itload of the rain falls and the rivers drain. Where all that lovely radioactive dust blasted into the atmosphere settles and falls.

Also happens to be where most of the farming is done. Pesticides sprayed.

Just a thought.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 12:54 AM
I believe smokers have forgotten how bad it feels to breath smoke, how bad smoke smells, and how oppresive it feels to be in a room filled with smoke. It is not all about health effects. It also makes your clothing and hair stink. Frankly it is a filthy and nasty environment that smokers choose to live in but should not expect others to suffer so they can be convenienced. You really cannot say that about the guy sitting at the next table drinking a beer or a shot of tequila.

You have a very good point, and I totally agree with that. I quit for a few months a while back. It was then I realized how much it smelled, even if it was someone walking down the sidewalk with a cigarette nearby. I keep that in mind now when I decide where and when I'm going to light up. Unfortunately I'm in the minority and I feel like I'm suffering consequences for the assholes that don't give a shit for others.

Logical
01-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Until he throws up on you anyway ...Frankly if you are so preoccupied you don't see that coming and get the hell out of the way. You are probably too drunk and deserve what you get.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
The sad thing is how successful the healthnazis media terror campaign has been. One of my friends, who is pregnant, was talking about seeing another pregnant woman smoking, in pretty much the same way I would talk about a pedophile priest. When I pointed out to her that the odds of anything bad happening to the baby were remote at best, she looked at me like I was crazy. And this is an otherwise reasonable, intelligent person.
Heh. I like the hypocrite former smokers the best. I had a nurse jump on me the other day for smoking, even thought I carry my smokes in my front pocket, in plain view, for all to see, she had no idea I smoked. The powers of observation were less than impressive. I told her I hope she checked her patients breathing from afar a little better than she managed not to notice the pack in my pocket all these years.

She went on to tell me that she quit and how she felt better and was living a healthier life, bla bla bla. 2 hours later, I catch her outside, bumming a smoke from someone.

Rausch

Stink sucks.

Not as much as some drunk spilling his beer all over me, throwing up on me, or hitting my parked car. But yeah, it sucks...

Frazod

I quit five months ago. It stinks to me. I don't like to smell it on my clothes. And being an ex-smoker, I'm really sensitive to it now.

But I can live with it. And God knows there are plenty of things out there that annoy me worse. When's the last time you got stuck in line behind some scumbag with horrible BO, or engaged in a conversation with somebody with Godawful breath? For that matter, I'd rather somebody blew smoke in my face than listen to rap music. Do you really think you don't do anything that pisses other people off?

You've lived in Kalifornia too long. Unfortunately, it seems the rest of the country is turning into Kalifornia, and that SUCKS.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Was that in this thread?

No, it was a while back. I think we were talking about food or something. I'll see if I can find it, although it was no big deal, I don't think you said it with any malicious intent.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Stink sucks.

Not as much as some drunk spilling his beer all over me, throwing up on me, or hitting my parked car. But yeah, it sucks...

Don't forget how much throwing up on my parked car sucks..... :D

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Frankly if you are so preoccupied you don't see that coming and get the hell out of the way. You are probably too drunk and deserve what you get.
Never happen. I rarely drink alcohol outside the home, as that would make me a risk to everyone on the road. I will not put myself in that position.

Logical
01-22-2006, 12:59 AM
I quit five months ago. It stinks to me. I don't like to smell it on my clothes. And being an ex-smoker, I'm really sensitive to it now.

But I can live with it. And God knows there are plenty of things out there that annoy me worse. When's the last time you got stuck in line behind some scumbag with horrible BO, or engaged in a conversation with somebody with Godawful breath? For that matter, I'd rather somebody blew smoke in my face than listen to rap music. Do you really think you don't do anything that pisses other people off?

You've lived in Kalifornia too long. Unfortunately, it seems the rest of the country is turning into Kalifornia, and that SUCKS.

Honestly I cannot remember the last time I smelled someone with BO or bad breath. You probably can blame that on the beautiful people effect on Californians.:D

Rausch
01-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Frankly if you are so preoccupied you don't see that coming and get the hell out of the way. You are probably too drunk and deserve what you get.

If you're sitting down there isn't a lot you can do.

The negatives of drinking FAR surpass those of smoking, but it's tolerated.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Don't forget how much throwing up on my parked car sucks..... :D

It was your fault for not paying attention.

Or for being a smoker...or.....something.

luv
01-22-2006, 01:01 AM
No, it was a while back. I think we were talking about food or something. I'll see if I can find it, although it was no big deal, I don't think you said it with any malicious intent.
Don't worry about it. I was just trying to say that I'm not against smokers. I do think it's "smelly". That why I choose not to. That, and the cost. I'm not about to condemn others who do smoke though. There's a guy at work who complains about not having money for food, gas, or new clothes, but he always has a pack of cigarettes. He doesn't have money for food, but he does for cigarettes? Annoys the hell out of me. When he complains that he's hungry, I tell him to go eat a cigarette (jokingly, of course).

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:04 AM
If you're sitting down there isn't a lot you can do.

The negatives of drinking FAR surpass those of smoking, but it's tolerated.Since even when I drank it was with extreme moderation as I really did not like the taste, I drank to be social. Hell I have only been drunk a couple of times in my life. I typically drank at most one full beer and would over the course of a several hour social occasion might manage to nurse three beers. So I really don't relate. I have never even been close to driving drunk and in fact was the known designated driver long before the term became fashionable.

FloridaChief
I quit *five* months ago.

You can start saying "Six" now, cuz I know I've been smoke-free for over 5 months and you had a three-week head start on me...

Baconeater

Shoot, I guess you used "overweight", not "fat". Please excuse my insensitivity.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2961926&postcount=84

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Don't worry about it. I was just trying to say that I'm not against smokers. I do think it's "smelly". That why I choose not to. That, and the cost. I'm not about to condemn others who do smoke though. There's a guy at work who complains about not having money for food, gas, or new clothes, but he always has a pack of cigarettes. He doesn't have money for food, but he does for cigarettes? Annoys the hell out of me. When he complains that he's hungry, I tell him to go eat a cigarette (jokingly, of course).

No harm no foul. Just fuggin wit ya!

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Shoot, I guess you used "overweight", not "fat". Please excuse my insensitivity.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2961926&postcount=84
Great. Now I'm smelly too. I guess all that soap and water and aftershave isn't working. Might as well become a mountain man and give up bathing all together.

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Great. Now I'm smelly too. I guess all that soap and water and aftershave isn't working. Might as well become a mountain man and give up bathing all together.Whatever you do don't wash your legs when you shower, that is a waste of time.;)

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Honestly I cannot remember the last time I smelled someone with BO or bad breath. You probably can blame that on the beautiful people effect on Californians.:D

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. How beautiful are the illegal immigrants who mow your yard? :D

My boss, who is 67, has started to smell bad lately - perhaps he's sick, or it's a side effect of some sort of medication - I don't know. But his breath is suddenly BAD, and I mean really BAD. I'm talking to him from across a desk, but on those rare occasions when I'm close enough to smell it, oh my God it's awful. And since I quit smoking, my sense of smell has really improved. I'm learning that's not necessarily a good think.

I'd much rather smell a cigarette than that. Yuck.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 01:09 AM

Or got stuck on an airplane flight next to some sea hag who took a bath in perfume before she boarded.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Whatever you do don't wash your legs when you shower, that is a waste of time.;)
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
You can start saying "Six" now, cuz I know I've been smoke-free for over 5 months and you had a three-week head start on me...

Nope. I quit on August 15. Tried to smoke a cigarette on the 17th, and it tasted and smelled so bad to me that put it out after three drags. So technically it's 5 months and 5 days.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Since even when I drank it was with extreme moderation as I really did not like the taste, I drank to be social. Hell I have only been drunk a couple of times in my life. I typically drank at most one full beer and would over the course of a several hour social occasion might manage to nurse three beers. So I really don't relate. I have never even been close to driving drunk and in fact was the known designated driver long before the term became fashionable.

I don't suppose telling you that you're not like most people would come as much of a shock... :)

Sybil
01-22-2006, 01:14 AM

Shit, that's enough to push anyone over the edge.

Rain Man
01-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Here's the map from Rausch's website, noting cancer rates.

http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/map/output/ScpMapImg_AAATD3.png

Here's the prevalence of smoking by state. Notice a resemblance?

http://www.newsbatch.com/tob-adultbystate.gif

Here are the actual statistics (I can't attach them as an image, so look for the table in this link.) This probably shows the relationship better than the map.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5444a3.htm

I figure that age and smoking are two big factors that affect cancer statistics, but for some reason I can't find an age map by state. I'll bet that if I drew a map that included age and smoking in combination, it would match the cancer map even more closely.

luv
01-22-2006, 01:17 AM
I figure that age and smoking are two big factors that affect cancer statistics, but for some reason I can't find an age map by state.
Hmmm...

Higher states are along the Mighty Mississippi. Don't eat the fish.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Or got stuck on an airplane flight next to some sea hag who took a bath in perfume before she boarded.

OMG I used to work with a bitch like that. She wore the most henious perfume on earth, and must have used a firehose to put it on. She was also butt ugly and grossly overweight, and compensated for these traits by wearing Tammy Faye Bakker makeup and skintight dresses that accentuated every roll of fat. Had a voice like a f#cking ambulance siren, too. Basically, this bitch was an unholy, relentless assault on the senses, but as bad as everything else was, the perfume was the worst. I once got stuck sitting next to her on the el on the way to work - I wanted to ride the train back home and stick my face in the cat's litterbox to rid myself of the smell.

Thank God she didn't work with me for long, and that I haven't seen her since. Ugh.

:cuss:

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
There are less smokers in Colorado and New Mexico and far less smokers in Utah yet, their death rate is vastly superior to Missouri's. :hmmm:

luv
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
OMG I used to work with a bitch like that. She wore the most henious perfume on earth, and must have used a firehose to put it on. She was also butt ugly and grossly overweight, and compensated for these traits by wearing Tammy Faye Bakker makeup and skintight dresses that accentuated every roll of fat. Had a voice like a f#cking ambulance siren, too. Basically, this bitch was an unholy, relentless assault on the senses, but as bad as everything else was, the perfume was the worst. I once got stuck sitting next to her on the el on the way to work - I wanted to ride the train back home and stick my face in the cat's litterbox to rid myself of the smell.

Thank God she didn't work with me for long, and that I haven't seen her since. Ugh.

:cuss:
If she's that fat, she's probably trying to mask BO. At work, it's the older ladies that wear the ancient perfume. I think they all buy the same kind.

FloridaChief
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Nope. I quit on August 15. Tried to smoke a cigarette on the 17th, and it tasted and smelled so bad to me that put it out after three drags. So technically it's 5 months and 5 days.

Something is wrong here. I know--though not the exact day--that I quit over 5 months ago. I know that when I tossed 'em in the trash, you had that thread about quitting smoking - and that thread was about 20 days old.

Oh well--not important. We've both quit and stuck w/ it. Personally, I never thought I could do it...Godamn, I'm a hero...

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Here's the prevalence of smoking by state.

Here are the actual statistics (I can't attach them as an image, so look for the table in this link.) This probably shows the relationship better than the map.

I figure that age and smoking are two big factors that affect cancer statistics, but for some reason I can't find an age map by state.

No doubt smoking plays a role.

But you'll also see that smoking in the midwest is more dangerous than in other areas as far as cancer fatalities.

It's one more strike against you.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:21 AM
If she's that fat, she's probably trying to mask BO. At work, it's the older ladies that where the ancient perfume. I think they all buy the same kind.
Where?
Who?
Why?
What?
When?

:D

I owed you. :)

luv
01-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Where?
Who?
Why?
What?
When?

:D

I owed you. :)
:doh!: Going to fix it right now.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:24 AM
:doh!: Going to fix it right now.
I feel obliged to leave mine up so as not to look like an idiot. Wait ... that can't be right. I already look like an idiot.

Rain Man
01-22-2006, 01:24 AM
No doubt smoking plays a role.

But you'll also see that smoking in the midwest is more dangerous than in other areas as far as cancer fatalities.

It's one more strike against you.

Yeah, there are probably a zillion risk factors for getting cancer. However, the similarity of these two maps is very striking to me. For smoking to be only one of a multitude of factors, it sure matches up well.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Something is wrong here. I know--though not the exact day--that I quit over 5 months ago. I know that when I tossed 'em in the trash, you had that thread about quitting smoking - and that thread was about 20 days old.

Oh well--not important. We've both quit and stuck w/ it. Personally, I never thought I could do it...Godamn, I'm a hero...
I remember when you first quit - you were a raving ass for about a week. We were about ready to come to your house and do the Clockwork Orange treatment on you with cigarettes instead of movies. :D

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Or got stuck on an airplane flight next to some sea hag who took a bath in perfume before she boarded.I must admit that is really horrible also.

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't suppose telling you that you're not like most people would come as much of a shock... :)Yes I know, but it might be genetic, one of my daughters and my son are the same way. Just don't like the taste, interestingly all three of us cannot stand coffee either.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:27 AM
I must admit that is really horrible also.
Until any of you have eaten a nice big breakfast, then immediately afterwards, strolled down a long hallway, filled with the smell of numerous incontinent patients at 0700, you have NO ROOM TO BITCH! :shake:

FloridaChief
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
I remember when you first quit - you were a raving ass for about a week. We were about ready to come to your house and do the Clockwork Orange treatment on you with cigarettes instead of movies. :D

A week??? Are you f*cking kidding? There were people who promised to kill me for MONTHS after I gave up the nicotine. No shit--I seriously went off the deep end for awhile. I'm pretty sure Phobia was getting ready to ban me just before his Nick Athan ship sailed in...

Heh, good times...

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah, there are probably a zillion risk factors for getting cancer. However, the similarity of these two maps is very striking to me. For smoking to be only one of a multitude of factors, it sure matches up well.

It's pretty well known now that diet, genetics, pesticides, and smoking all can cause cancer.

I'd argue most of the midwest, for a multitude of reasons, has three strikes against it from the word go. You can't help genetics, and let's be honest, the midwest is all about BBQ and red meat. Sausage. Etc. And the midwest is all about agriculture. A few good floods and that poison is in your water table and Lord only knows what else.

My OPINION is that testing added another factor in to the midwest. This is not proven or popular opinion.

So we likely have three, possibly 4 strikes against us from the word go.

You add smoking to that list and you're looking at a damned good shot at cancer...

Miles
01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Yes I know, but it might be genetic, one of my daughters and my son are the same way. Just don't like the taste, interestingly all three of us cannot stand coffee either.

Interesting that both are pretty much acquired taste tings as well.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes I know, but it might be genetic, one of my daughters and my son are the same way. Just don't like the taste, interestingly all three of us cannot stand coffee either.

And I love coffee.

Rainman! Dig us up some of them fancy numbers, math boy! :cuss:

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:34 AM
It is impressive that only 16% of Californians smoke and that a full 61% have never smoked at all. Especially so when you consider the huge % of Californians that move in from other parts of the country every year.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
A week??? Are you f*cking kidding? There were people who promised to kill me for MONTHS after I gave up the nicotine. No shit--I seriously went off the deep end for awhile. I'm pretty sure Phobia was getting ready to ban me just before his Nick Athan ship sailed in...

Heh, good times...

It was really only about a week that you got to the point where even I though DAMN :eek:

Seems like I shot a couple of "dude you need to chill" posts your way. Of course, I understood what was going on.

Oddly, not smoking never really caused me to freak out. In fact, I almost felt calmer afterwards. Not that that really counts for much. :D

luv
01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
And I love coffee.

Rainman! Dig us up some of them fancy numbers, math boy! :cuss:
Coffee and smoking go hand-in-hand, or smoking and alcohol? I don't smoke. I do enjoy alcohol, but can't stand coffee.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:36 AM
I believe I'm going to bed now but, as a final act of indignity to jAZ, I'm going to put out my cigarettes in this thread before I go.

http://www.cigarettes.com/logos/cigarettes.com.jpg

Goodnight, everyone. :D

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:40 AM
I believe I'm going to bed now but, as a final act of indignity to jAZ, I'm going to put out my cigarettes in this thread before I go.

http://www.cigarettes.com/logos/cigarettes.com.jpg

Goodnight, everyone. :D

You should use that as your avatar. ROFL

Miles
01-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Coffee and smoking go hand-in-hand, or smoking and alcohol? I don't smoke. I do enjoy alcohol, but can't stand coffee.

Its more of a smoker enjoys them with coffee or alcohol more.

Pitt Gorilla
01-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Just curious,were you sitting in the smoking section?

Personally,if I'm with or around non-smokers in a tight area I'll have the courtesy to ask if they mind.If I'm sitting in a designated smoking area then I just light up.Nope, there wasn't a smoking section. The restaurant was smoke free.

Logical
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Until any of you have eaten a nice big breakfast, then immediately afterwards, strolled down a long hallway, filled with the smell of numerous incontinent patients at 0700, you have NO ROOM TO BITCH! :shake:I have incredible sympathy for you, I also believe it has to be unhealthy to be around that environment.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Nope, there wasn't a smoking section. The restaurant was smoke free.

Should have told him the next one you put out will be on his forehead.

Logical
It was really only about a week that you got to the point where even I though DAMN :eek:

Seems like I shot a couple of "dude you need to chill" posts your way. Of course, I understood what was going on.

Oddly, not smoking never really caused me to freak out. In fact, I almost felt calmer afterwards. Not that that really counts for much. :DIt is difficult to be enraged when you have a jelly donut in your mouth.:evil:

Rausch
It is difficult to be enraged when you have a jelly donut in your mouth.:evil:
ROFL

Frazod
01-22-2006, 01:48 AM
It is difficult to be enraged when you have a jelly donut in your mouth.:evil:

Actually, it was cookie dough. LOTS OF IT.

Der Flöprer
01-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I used to never litter my cig butts. Then a few years ago WA state voters decided to increase the price of smokes by about $2 a pack with what I believe was called a "disposal tax" or something like that. I figured if I'm paying so much extra for smokes, I have the right to throw them wherever the f*ck I want too.

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 02:55 AM
I used to never litter my cig butts. Then a few years ago WA state voters decided to increase the price of smokes by about $2 a pack with what I believe was called a "disposal tax" or something like that. I figured if I'm paying so much extra for smokes, I have the right to throw them wherever the f*ck I want too.

I think that is so stupid. Oklahoma did that too. The price of chew went from like 3.94 a can to 5.69. What a joke, If I plan on being in Oklahoma for a few days, I stock up on a couple cans of chew from Kansas.

Der Flöprer
01-22-2006, 03:06 AM
I think that is so stupid. Oklahoma did that too. The price of chew went from like 3.94 a can to 5.69. What a joke, If I plan on being in Oklahoma for a few days, I stock up on a couple cans of chew from Kansas.

We've gotten to the point in society where we don't really care if it's fair. We'll vote anything in as long as it's not us individually paying for it. Ask 90% of people why they vote republican and it has nothing to do with anything but financial reasons. Well that and they've brainwashed the religous sector. Wait. Forget I said that, this isn't the DC forum.

KC Jones
01-22-2006, 06:33 AM
This?

Well, it actually explains a lot

Relax kids, that was tongue in cheek. I can't believe you couldn't pick up on it given the excessive hyperbole. I'm having trouble figuring out what you meant by vamp though. and Lawyer? I think I prefer being called a vamp.

NewChief
01-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Not going to read a ridiculously long thread about such an obvious topic (WTF can people be arguing about here?), but when I smoked I often put my cigarette butts in my pockets, especially when I was out camping. Talk about disgusting.

Then I started rolling my own. Being a very biodegradable, small piece of paper, I'd usually toss those after breaking them down.

alanm
01-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Butts are bio degradable. What's the problem?

KC Jones
01-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Butts are bio degradable. What's the problem?

It's still litter. Would you like to see tampoons and kleenex all over the place?

Bwana
01-22-2006, 07:34 AM
We've gotten to the point in society where we don't really care if it's fair. We'll vote anything in as long as it's not us individually paying for it.
Awww yes, voting for the sin taxes. Most of the time people are all for them if it is not their sin of choice that the regulations are being placed on. :hmmm:

JBucc
01-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I get angry when I hear all these people complaining about high prices of cigarettes, and then I see some that have barely been smoked lying on the ground. What a waste, makes me wanna pick it up and finish it off.

unlurking
01-22-2006, 09:15 AM
I am always a very polite smoker. When outdoors, I only light up a good distance from anyone else. If there are kids around, I will only smoke in designated smoking areas. I never sit in the smoking section at restaraunts unless it is just smokers with me. It can be 4 smokers and one non-smoker, and we always volunteer to sit in non-smoking. I am very aware of the direction I blow my smoke and how the wind affects it so that I am not being rude to those around me. When I finish a smoke and there is not an ashtray available, I flick out the cherry and few remaining tobacco leaves, and throw the filter into the trash. If there is no trash can, I don't smoke.

All of you hyper-sensitive, sand in your pussy, hypocrites can go **** yourselves. Quit being so **nty.

Edit: Whoa, since when was "cu" filtered? Musta missed that one.

Simplex3
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I'll take a shot at this, as a non-smoker it's just a guess.
It's because if someone has trash in their car, they can set it aside, and toss it in the next receptacle they get to. The reason peole don't use their ashtrays, is because they don't want to reek up their car with the smell, thus the flicing out the window...
... this is just a guess.
Like the smoking itself doesn't make the car reek and smell like ass, but the paper from the butt lying around in your ashtry WILL? Here's an idea, clean out the ashtray a couple of times a week. Hell, maybe even daily.

Simplex3
01-22-2006, 09:22 AM

But not to you, so you don't give a damn...
I think every drunk driver should be charged with attempted murder. Not manslaughter, MURDER. There is not one person in this country who doesn't know that drinking and driving kills, so doing so is premeditated.

Can I bitch about smokers?

Simplex3
01-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Some idiot blew smoke in my 2yr-old son's face. I quietly put his cigarette out in his sandwich. Nothing happened after that, so I think he got the point.

On the subject of littering, how lazy/irresponsible do you have to be to litter at all? Have some pride.
They don't have enough pride to stop killing themselves but they do have enough to not litter?

Simplex3
01-22-2006, 09:27 AM
What a bunch of bullshit. I'm a smoker, I don't litter, I respect other non-smokers enough that I make sure when I smoke it's not bothering anyone. Don't fukking stereotype us.
Relax Nancy, he said "some" smokers. He didn't even say "most".

Sully
01-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I've learned one thing from this thread.
You smokers are some angry mother ****ers.

chefsos
01-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I've learned one thing from this thread.
You smokers are some angry mother ****ers.

ROFL You don't want to be around on the day we all quit at once.

unlurking
01-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Relax Nancy, he said "some" smokers. He didn't even say "most".

hmmm, I see the word "some" in the first post, but not in the title...

Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

Is this why everyone hates the way Jaz titles a thread?

Simplex3
01-22-2006, 09:52 AM
We've gotten to the point in society where we don't really care if it's fair. We'll vote anything in as long as it's not us individually paying for it. Ask 90% of people why they vote republican and it has nothing to do with anything but financial reasons. Well that and they've brainwashed the religous sector. Wait. Forget I said that, this isn't the DC forum.
You're worried about a couple of bucks per pack on a luxury item, but 30% of all your income doesn't get you going?

Sully
01-22-2006, 09:58 AM
ROFL You don't want to be around on the day we all quit at once.
ROFL

After reading this thread, I'm not sure why anyone would ever quit. They are completely healthy, the smell and feeling in your lungs is nothing more than an inconvenience and uncomfotability (and only for pussies).

milkman
01-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I use my ashtray in the car.

I never just throw my butts away in the street, or on the sidewalk.

But, because of this post, I think I'll start.

Where do you live?

I want to make sure you see me do it, so you can whine some more.

jAZ
01-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Do you know what the word "Some" means?

In this case it means "not-all" and likely "less-than-most".

So relax.

JBucc
01-22-2006, 11:06 AM

So relax.No, it means YOU Bugeater!!

StcChief
01-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree about butt pitchers....out car windows

What about Cigar /pipe smokers ?

I enjoy an occasional cigar and always use an ashtray

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Seems to me that many of the "smokers" lost sight of the primary question of this thread or they are using diversion topics to avoid the issue.

The fact is that smoking is a filthy disgusting habit that many smokers impose onto others regardless of whether or not there are immediate health consequences to the non-smoker.

Many smokers do in fact throw their cigarette butts all over the fuggin place with complete disregard to whoever is stuck cleaning up after them.

It is funny that some of the smokers on here believe that non-smokers would rather see someone get drunk and leave a bar in a "lethal" state. I have not seen that at all. Non-smokers have merely stated that they would prefer to sit next to a drunk at a bar versus an inconsiderate smoker who forces their filthy habit onto others. I have not seen where anyone has said they would prefer to let someone get drunk and drive themselves home.

If you want to smoke then that is fine. Just quit your fuggin whining about where and when and learn to be considerate of others or don't be surprised if someone spits in your face after you blow smoke in theirs!

Oh, and to stick to the actual topic of this thread......keep your fuggin trash to yourself too!!

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 11:19 AM

So relax.

You should have put "some" in the thread title then. I was pissed before I even clicked on the thread and I admit I didn't take the time to read the post thoroughly.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Seems to me that many of the "smokers" lost sight of the primary question of this thread or they are using diversion topics to avoid the issue.

The fact is that smoking is a filthy disgusting habit that many smokers impose onto others regardless of whether or not there are immediate health consequences to the non-smoker.

Many smokers do in fact throw their cigarette butts all over the fuggin place with complete disregard to whoever is stuck cleaning up after them.

It is funny that some of the smokers on here believe that non-smokers would rather see someone get drunk and leave a bar in a "lethal" state. I have not seen that at all. Non-smokers have merely stated that they would prefer to sit next to a drunk at a bar versus an inconsiderate smoker who forces their filthy habit onto others. I have not seen where anyone has said they would prefer to let someone get drunk and drive themselves home.

If you want to smoke then that is fine. Just quit your fuggin whining about where and when and learn to be considerate of others or don't be surprised if someone spits in your face after you blow smoke in theirs!

Oh, and to stick to the actual topic of this thread......keep your fuggin trash to yourself too!!
You're a smug little sumbitch, arent you? Not once have I ever imposed my habit upon you, yet you call me, by proxy of my habit, filthy and disgusting. Remind me, that should we ever meet, to stay on topic and not throw a butt on the ground. Instead, I fully intend upon putting my cigarette out in your fugging eye.

Skip Towne
01-22-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm 60 years old, live in the midwest, have smoked2-3 packs per day for 44 years. I never get sick. What's the problem?

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Littering goes WAY beyond just smokers. I see just as many fast food containers, empty beverage containers and what not on the ground. You can't limit your litter complaints strictly to smokers. There are plenty of inconsiderate non-smoking litterbugs out there, I just feel smokers are often the primary target because they have little defense for what they do.

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:30 AM
You're a smug little sumbitch, arent you? Not once have I ever imposed my habit upon you, yet you call me, by proxy of my habit, filthy and disgusting. Remind me, that should we ever meet, to stay on topic and not throw a butt on the ground. Instead, I fully intend upon putting my cigarette out in your fugging eye.
I stated that "many" are that way. If you put yourself into that category then so be it.

Everyone can choose to be who or what they want to be. If you are considerate then you should'nt take offense to someone elses opinion regarding those who aren't.

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Littering goes WAY beyond just smokers. I see just as many fast food containers, empty beverage containers and what not on the ground. You can't limit your litter complaints strictly to smokers. There are plenty of inconsiderate non-smoking litterbugs out there, I just feel smokers are often the primary target because they have little defense for what they do.
I completely agree. but the thread title here is regarding cigarette butts. I've seen people smoking in designated smoking areas complete with butt cans who still choose to throw them all over the ground. I cannot help but wonder why that is.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm 60 years old, live in the midwest, have smoked2-3 packs per day for 44 years. I never get sick. What's the problem?

It's not the mainstream smoke that you draw into your lungs that kills, it's the secondhand smoke. Just ask any anti-smoking Nazi.

Frazod
01-22-2006, 11:36 AM

Actually, there are lots of people who GET PAID to pick up stuff like that. If there wasn't any litter, they'd be out of a job. So when I smoked and tossed my butts, I was just doing my part to support the economy.

And BTW, what would you rather step on - a cigarette butt or a piece of gum?

And you are aware that the butt won't give your shoe cancer, right?

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I completely agree. but the thread title here is regarding cigarette butts. I've seen people smoking in designated smoking areas complete with butt cans who still choose to throw them all over the ground. I cannot help but wonder why that is.

Because it's too much trouble to put them in a manilla envelope and mail them to you?

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 11:38 AM

It's because they're inconsiderate a-holes, not because they are smokers. It's just kind of funny, I see these types of threads, but I've never seen one titled "Hey beer drinkers, why do you insist on throwing your empty 12-pack containers in my yard?".

Frazod
01-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Because it's too much trouble to put them in a manilla envelope and mail them to you?

ROFL

It wouldn't be any fun unless there was a way to keep them smoldering in the envelope.

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Actually, there are lots of people who GET PAID to pick up stuff like that. If there wasn't any litter, they'd be out of a job. So when I smoked and tossed my butts, I was just doing my part to support the economy.

And BTW, what would you rather step on - a cigarette butt or a piece of gum?

And you are aware that the butt won't give your shoe cancer, right?Neither. I don't advocate littering of anything. I'm not an eco-terrorist but just believe that people should be more considerate of others.

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Neither. I don't advocate littering of anything. I'm not an eco-terrorist but just believe that people should be more considerate of others.

**** off, Nazi.

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Because it's too much trouble to put them in a manilla envelope and mail them to you?The irony of this whole debate on here is that some of the smokers argue that they are considerate and then sit back while other smokers make comments like this. Then everyone wonders why smokers are viewed "as a whole" so negatively. Now that's humorous!!!

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 11:44 AM
The irony of this whole debate on here is that some of the smokers argue that they are considerate and then sit back while other smokers make comments like this. Then everyone wonders why smokers are viewed "as a whole" so negatively. Now that's humorous!!!

Bonus points for understanding that Bob Dole is just ****ing around.

FRCDFED
01-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Bonus points for understanding that Bob Dole is just ****ing around.
Your last post made it more clear :p

jAZ
01-22-2006, 11:46 AM
It's because they're inconsiderate a-holes, not because they are smokers. It's just kind of funny, I see these types of threads, but I've never seen one titled "Hey beer drinkers, why do you insist on throwing your empty 12-pack containers in my yard?".
Are there a higher concentration of a-hole smokers then? Cause I can't remember the last time I saw someone toss paper or a burger wrapper in the street. At the same time, I can't remember the last time I saw a smoker standing outside who didn't toss their butt into the dirt.

I kinda wonder if it's a part of the learned behavior of rebellion & smoking.

At the same time, the smokers that I see butting it out on the ground, will also be holding a coke can, and after butting it out, walk over and toss their coke can in the trash.

???

I just wonder if part of the identity of being a smoker in this day and age is that of the rebellious a-hole. And that characteristic is part of why they smoke (you can't tell me what to do!). That the less rebellious of the smokers have since quit, and a significant part of the hold outs just don't give a crap about rules when it comes to smoking.

That's certainly not to say that all smokers are rude a-holes. I want to make sure to given credit to anyone who is not "that guy".

Anyway, just curious on other peoples thoughts.

Baconeater
01-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Are there a higher concentration of a-hole smokers then? Cause I can't remember the last time I saw someone toss paper or a burger wrapper in the street. At the same time, I can't remember the last time I saw a smoker standing outside who didn't toss their butt into the dirt.

I kinda wonder if it's a part of the learned behavior of rebellion of smoking.

At the same time, the smokers that I see butting it out on the ground, will also be holding a coke can, and after butting it out, walk over and toss their coke can in the trash.

???

I just wonder if part of the identity of being a smoker in this day and age is that of the rebellious a-hole. And that characteristic is part of why the smoke (you can't tell me what to do!). That the less rebellious of the smokers have since quit, and a significant part of the hold outs just don't give a crap about rules when it comes to smoking.

That's certainly not to say that all smokers are rule a-holes. I want to make sure to given credit to anyone who is not "that guy".

Anyway, just curious on other peoples thoughts.

There's probably something to what you're saying, but part of it may be because many are tired of the persecution, however I'm not going to advocate that as an excuse. IMO in this day and age there are a lot of inconsiderate a-holes across the board. Also they should be recycling that Coke can instead of throwing it in the trash.

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 11:57 AM

Is it possible that there's is no direct correlation, but because of their behavior (smoking), they are either held to a different standard or more closely observed than their non-smoking peers?

jAZ
01-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Is it possible that there's is no direct correlation, but because of their behavior (smoking), they are either held to a different standard or more closely observed than their non-smoking peers?
Or even that smokers have a greater number of littering chances (20-60) during the day? And once one gets gives into the temptation to litter, they become comfortable with it going forward and do it more often.

jAZ
01-22-2006, 12:01 PM
There's probably something to what you're saying, but part of it may be because many are tired of the persecution
passive agressive behavior?

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Or even that smokers have a greater number of littering chances (20-60) during the day? And once one gets gives into the temptation to litter, they become comfortable with it going forward and do it more often.

You can bet that it would definitely never happen if Bob Dole was allowed to smoke in his office. :)

Frazod
01-22-2006, 12:06 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, the desire to annoy the anti-smoking nazis was pretty much the last thing that kept me smoking. When I would see some pampered metrosexual douchebag wrinkle his nose in disgust because he happened to breathe in a wisp of smoke from my cigarette, it would actually bring a smile to my face. I miss that.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/reputationneg.gif Smokers... (Why) do you... 01-22-2006 09:33 AM jspchief Way f*cking out of line. I hope cancer never affects you in a way that you discover just how vital those support services are. Unbelievable
AHAHAHA!

I've FORGOTTEN more about the ACS, Cancer Survivors Network, Relay For Life and Camp HOPE, then you KNOW about them. Keep your uninformed opinions off my rep board, twat.

CHENZ A!
01-22-2006, 12:15 PM
If there's an ash tray I put it in there, if not, it goes on the ground. Allways considerate of people that don't smoke though, I can go outside. Would you think twice about spitting a piece of gum on the ground, or throwing out a toothpick? probably not.

FAX
01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I am reminded of a recent episode in my life.

I was driving through my neighborhood about a month ago. It's not Bel Air, but it's pretty nice and the streets and sidewalks are well maintained. Anyway, this girl driving a Honda Civic is in front of me and pitches/flicks a butt out of her driver's side window.

The butt is carried by the wind somehow and lands on my windshield resting nicely on my wiper blade and burning brightly with a smoldering red glow.

As it happens, I see the girl looking at me in her rear view mirror and, as I had her attention, I deploy the international gesture for "why did you do that?". Not an obscene gesture, mind you, as I would never do such a thing - just hands in the air - palms up.

This girl stops her car, exits the vehicle, and turns and faces me. She is, without doubt, the most obese and ugly human FAX has ever seen. Weighing in at well over 220 and obviously having been saving money on shampoo, she begins to curse at me in loud, barely intelligible, southern english and gives me a really fat wobbly finger. Then she gets in her car and drives away.

And I was left to wonder, why, Lord Jesus, why?

FAX

KCBOSS1
01-22-2006, 12:38 PM
my Dad smoked my whole life....My mom died from cancer when I was 21, My Dad died of heart disease when I was 30.

in 2000 My family was on our way to a funeral visitation when we were hit head on by a drunk driver. My pregnant wife spent 8+ months on a hospital bed in my living room. All of us survived, but my wife has steel all in her.

I'm a lot more pissed with the drunk who also had no drivers license or insurance and left me to pay $70,000+ out of my pocket.

Incidentally, He walked that day along with the passenger who was also drunk. The state trooper never tested their alcohol level, even though they were turning into a liquor store when they hit us....

Sorry, I'm rambling, I know. But I understand the pain of this stuff........The drunk is the worst. If any of you are drunk drivers....I would love to personally kick your butt on behalf of all of the families that have ever faced this crap.

And by the way....don't throw your butts down either (to try to stay at least within the vacinity of the thread)

luv
01-22-2006, 12:50 PM
AHAHAHA!

I've FORGOTTEN more about the ACS, Cancer Survivors Network, Relay For Life and Camp HOPE, then you KNOW about them. Keep your uninformed opinions off my rep board, twat.
Just because someone disagrees with you means they are uninformed? Where's your medical degree? What gives you the right to say something like that? Because you work in a hospital and know about drugs? Big whoop.

Maybe not everyone is as emotionally strong and stable as you. Maybe some people want or need support. If they can get that from one of these sources, then good for them. Just because you haven't, dont talk down to others who do.

You said something in reply to Camp Hope that completely shocked me. You said that parents push their kids off on someone else, so they don't have to tell them about death. Those children know more about dealing with death than most adults can even imagine. Just because parents want to give their kids a chance to go have some fun for a week or two, does not mean they're pushing their kids off and not dealing with it.

While the ACS may not be that instrumental in actually finding a cure, they offer other programs that keep people informed and give them support.

ROYC75
01-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Why is it when you ask a question about smokers, cigs, cigars, any frigging thing you smoke, somebody brings alcohol into it ?

Are smokers so dam sensitive they need to divert the attention somewhere else ?

You want to know what really needs to be done, since both are bad for you........ GET RID OF ALL OF IT.

End of these stupid discussions, cleaner living , less dead bodies and lower health care cost.

( OK, I have my ears plugged up now, let er rip....... LOL )

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Why is it when you ask a question about smokers, cigs, cigars, any frigging thing you smoke, somebody brings alcohol into it ?

Are smokers so dam sensitive they need to divert the attention somewhere else ?

You want to know what really needs to be done, since both are bad for you........ GET RID OF ALL OF IT.

End of these stupid discussions, cleaner living , less dead bodies and lower health care cost.

( OK, I have my ears plugged up now, let er rip....... LOL )

Excellent point about the cleaner living.

Smoking and drinking has destroyed Bob Dole's knees. :p

BigMeatballDave
01-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Heh. When I smoked, I NEVER used the ashtray in my car. ALWAYS flicked it out the window...

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Heh. When I smoked, I NEVER used the ashtray in my car. ALWAYS flicked it out the window...

Bob Dole never uses his, either.

Bob Dole rolls his pant leg up to create a cuff and collects the butts until Bob Dole can find an unlocked car, then deposits them in someone else's ashtray.

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Just because someone disagrees with you means they are uninformed? Where's your medical degree? What gives you the right to say something like that? Because you work in a hospital and know about drugs? Big whoop.

Maybe not everyone is as emotionally strong and stable as you. Maybe some people want or need support. If they can get that from one of these sources, then good for them. Just because you haven't, dont talk down to others who do.

You said something in reply to Camp Hope that completely shocked me. You said that parents push their kids off on someone else, so they don't have to tell them about death. Those children know more about dealing with death than most adults can even imagine. Just because parents want to give their kids a chance to go have some fun for a week or two, does not mean they're pushing their kids off and not dealing with it.

While the ACS may not be that instrumental in actually finding a cure, they offer other programs that keep people informed and give them support.
Aaawww ... somebody needs a hug.

FloridaChief
01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
AHAHAHA!

Think before you post, hot head. Remember: It's an opinion, not a sermon...

:)

4th and Long
01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Think before you post, hot head. Remember: It's an opinion, not a sermon...

:)
When you drop the F Bomb on me, it's a sermon.

Logical
01-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I should mention one exception to my littering rule. A friend of mine and I walked out to his car one day many years ago, and some idiot had stuck a flyer on his windshield (Lose weight now...earn money at home...be a hit man in your spare time...something like that). He crumpled it up and threw it on the ground, and I was stunned at the actions of this otherwise solid citizen.

I started to admonish him, and he said that if everyone threw those things on the ground, the owners of the mall would eventually start patrolling the place and making sure it stopped happening. I thought he was a genius, so I started doing it.

I've done it for years now. If someone puts a flyer on my windshield, I just throw it onto the ground. Whoever owns the property will take action if they get tired enough of picking up hundreds of those trashy things.

Of course, it was a little embarrassing a few months ago when I did that, and this woman made a production of coming over, picking it up, and carrying it over to a trash can. She didn't want to listen to my explanation, either. What an ecoterrorist.

I do the same thing when it comes to flyers, also when I ask them not to give me the receipt at fast food drive thrus and they do anyway, I drop it on the ground right in front of them. Same concept.

Logical
01-22-2006, 02:44 PM
TD Steelers!!!!!!!

Yeah Baby!!!!LOL did you get lost from the Blitzburgh thread?

FAX
01-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Go Steelers!!!

where are we?

FAX

milkman
01-22-2006, 02:48 PM
LOL did you get lost from the Blitzburgh thread?

Why yes, yes I did!

Dammit! :banghead:

FAX
01-22-2006, 02:52 PM
***K BUTTS!!!

FAX

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I do the same thing when it comes to flyers, also when I ask them not to give me the receipt at fast food drive thrus and they do anyway, I drop it on the ground right in front of them. Same concept.

It would be even more effective if we all saved them until we were at a mall in Denver, and then threw them on the ground.