PDA

View Full Version : Archie Manning miffed at reaction to Peyton's comments

tk13
01-22-2006, 03:52 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060120/SPORTS03/601200519/1004/rss02

Manning's father still miffed
Archie says Colts QB is getting unfairly criticized for his postgame comments

By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com

Archie Manning continues to do a slow burn over the way his son, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, is getting ripped by national media for his comments after Sunday's playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

After the Colts' 21-18 upset loss in the AFC divisional game, Peyton cited "some problems in protection.'' He was sacked five times and pressured heavily throughout the game.

Terry Bradshaw, on the Fox network's postgame show, said Peyton's statements were tantamount to "calling out his offensive line.''

Archie disagreed.

"If you heard the whole press conference,'' he said in a telephone interview Thursday, "you'd understand what went on. That (Fox) crew really blew it up. They said Peyton 'called out his offensive line.' What he said is, 'We had protection problems.'

"I guess that's just the sports culture we live in. The guys that are on top seem to get hit harder. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but it seems like Peyton gets more of it than anybody whenever we lose a football game. (The media) wants an answer and when it gets an answer, you just tear him up.''

Peyton Manning wasn't available to offer his rebuttal to Bradshaw and other critics. He and his wife, Ashley, are out of the country, relaxing, according to Archie. Attempts to contact members of the Colts' offensive line, including center Jeff Saturday, were unsuccessful.

Archie said Peyton was watching the Fox broadcast of the Carolina-Chicago NFC divisional game when he heard Bradshaw's criticism.

"He was totally shocked,'' Archie said. "You hear what they say on the radio and in the media. They say Peyton choked and Peyton can't win a big game. He's been living with that forever.

"But you add this to it, and it hurts. I just don't understand how he gets torn up over this. He was just trying to do the right thing. I've seen a lot of people not go in (the news conference) after a tough loss like that. I was with him before he went in. I know his heart was broken. But he went in and did his duty. He stood up to it.''

During his Monday news conference, Colts coach Tony Dungy said he didn't consider Manning's comments to be aimed at the offensive line.
"He said we had some protection issues and obviously we did,'' Dungy said.

Team president Bill Polian, on his Monday night radio show, said in hindsight Manning might have phrased his answer differently, adding, "you're never going to be 100 percent politically correct in that situation.''

Joe Theismann, an analyst for ESPN, agreed. Manning's comments, he said, wouldn't have carried finger-pointing connotations had he done a better job of including himself in those protection problems.

"What he needed to do was really put himself in the mix,'' Theismann said. "He should have said something along the lines of, 'It's my job to get guys lined up in the right place to block people, and I didn't do a very good job today.' ''

Archie believes Peyton did that.

"Football people, when you talk about protection problems, understand you're talking about everybody,'' he said. "It's the coaches, the quarterback, the offensive line, the running backs, the tight end.''

Archie categorized Bradshaw's on-air criticism as a "cheap shot.''

"It's not right to show that one quote out of a long press conference where people keep asking him and asking him,'' Archie said. "Yes, I thought it was a cheap shot, but I'm not going to go to war with Terry Bradshaw.

"I hope Terry doesn't have anything against us.''

Bradshaw dismissed the notion he has an anti-Manning agenda.

"I don't want to make it a personal thing with the Mannings because they are wonderful people and do wonderful things,'' Bradshaw said in a Wednesday teleconference.

He insisted his comment that Peyton "called out his offensive line'' was made after viewing the postgame news conference.

"I saw his face,'' Bradshaw said. "I heard what he said and . . . my immediate reaction was this: He is pointing fingers. Right or wrong, that's what I thought and I said it.''

Bradshaw would welcome a call from Archie, or Peyton, to resolve the dispute. Sometimes, he said in reference to Archie defending Peyton, "you've got to stand up and do your own battles."

"My dad taught me a long time ago, 'I ain't fighting your battles for you, son. You fight your own battles.' ''

chefsos
01-22-2006, 04:05 AM
I've always respected Archie Manning, but Peyton and Eli both need to tell him to shut up.

And Archie's mistaken if he thinks this was just Bradshaw popping off. Nearly EVERY commentator I've heard this week said the same thing, and many with a lot less tact.

Miles
01-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Wonder if anyone that wasn't an NFL fan during the 70's would have any clue who Archie Manning was if it wasn't for his sons? Outside of his college days at least.

KcMizzou
01-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Wonder if anyone that wasn't an NFL fan during the 70's would have any clue who Archie Manning was if it wasn't for his sons? Outside of his college days at least. I wouldn't.

Guru
01-22-2006, 05:15 AM
Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Bwana
01-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Nice to see the Manning tikes can fight their own battles. "Daddy, Daddy! That mean old Terry Bradshaw done said bad things about me again. :deevee: Go get um Daddy!"

Yet one more reason I wouldn't piss on a Manning if he were on fire. :shake: Oh, and one last thing Peyton, little fella.............

CrazyHorse
01-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Archie who???

Rogcop_3121
01-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Weren't the Colts the 2005 Super bowl champions-the media had them in the super bowl weeks ago. Pressure Payton and he fails, oh yeah and what about Troy's interception that was called incomplete, what crap. The ball was intercepted Payton, bad choice. I'm lovin it-Mcdonald's style. The ref gave you the ball back and you still couldn't take care of business, the bus fumbled and you thought you were going to steal the game???? The colts were outplayed and Payton needs to accept the fact the loss is just as much his fault as anyone else's on the team, period!

Bob Dole
01-22-2006, 06:42 AM
"I guess that's just the sports culture we live in. The guys that are on top seem to get hit harder. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but it seems like Peyton gets more of it than anybody whenever we lose a football game."

Golly gee whiz Archie. Maybe that's the flipside of constantly "getting more of it" during the regular season for the past few years.

the Talking Can
01-22-2006, 06:42 AM
well, we know where Manning gets his talent for whining and passing the buck...

milkman
01-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Archie needs to sit the **** down and shut the **** up.

If Peyton had said "We had some protection issues" without first saying "I want to be a good teammate" then no one would have been critical of his statement.

That "I want to be a good teammate" clearly implies that he wasn't to blame, and was assigning blame to the O-Line.

Just another reason I'm happy that Mangina is not the Chiefs QB.

**** Peyton Mangina.

Ari Chi3fs
01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
MANninGINA... the whole family. Hope none of them win a Superbowl.

Extra Point
01-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Bradshaw happened to have won more games as QB than Archie. Archie didn't have a good line. Archie didn't have a good defense. Archie just had two boys he could pump up after he retired from a dismal career.

Terrry Bradshaw could whip Archie Manning in a fist fight, anyway. No point in daddy fighting his boys' battles.

jspchief
01-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Memo to Archie:

When you raise your kids to be coddled, ,whiny, dickheads people are going to line up to take shots at them when they stumble.

Archie needs to stop gravy-training and just fade away.