PDA

View Full Version : Texans hire Denver O-coordinator Kubiak as coach

Coach
01-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Texans hire Denver O-coordinator Kubiak as coach

HOUSTON --- The Houston Texans will hire Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak as their head coach.

The Texans called a Sunday evening press conference to announce the move, making the widely anticipated hiring moments after the Broncos lost to the Steelers 34-17 in the AFC championship game on Sunday.

It has long been expected that Kubiak, a Houston native, would succeed Dom Capers, who was fired as Texans coach on Jan. 2, one day after finishing a 2-14 season with a loss at San Francisco. However, under NFL tampering rules, the Texans could not comment on or finalize any moves involving Kubiak until the Broncos' season was over.

Earlier in the week, the Broncos seemed resigned to losing Kubiak, who has been offensive coordinator in Denver for 11 seasons.

"His time has come," Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer said on Friday. "He's had opportunities in the past, but this one feels right, and we'll miss him."

A Broncos source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen last week that the Texans told USC that Reggie Bush would be selected with the No. 1 pick, despite a rise in public sentiment after the Rose Bowl that Houston select Texas quarterback Vince Young.

That assurance was given because it was in line with Kubiak's philosophy.

A Broncos source told Mortensen that Kubiak believes current Houston quarterback David Carr can flourish with a new offense headlined by Bush and wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302213

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Finally..

Guru
01-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Damn, that was fast. Don't even take time to absorb the loss Gary. LOL Good for you Kubiak, leave while they are still spinning.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Good for you Kubiak. You can finally get away from that fraud you have for a QB in Denver.

Bowser
01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Jeez, talk about not waiting until the body is cool....

And someone please explain to me why the Texans are hellbent on getting Reggie Bush? He'll be a fine pro, but the Texans desperately need to trade out of that top spot and stockpile picks. Dominick Davis is an above average running back. They should concentrate on getting a tackle or three.

savedin79
01-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Im surprise they still want him after watching his offense today.

crossbow
01-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Jeez, talk about not waiting until the body is cool....

And someone please explain to me why the Texans are hellbent on getting Reggie Bush? He'll be a fine pro, but the Texans desperately need to trade out of that top spot and stockpile picks. Dominick Davis is an above average running back. They should concentrate on getting a tackle or three.

Good point. They need to take one of those talented offensive left tackles.

Ralphy Boy
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
If he could make Plummer look as good as he has this season, I'm sure he'll work wonders with Carr, who I really do think will be good.

I won't be suprised at all if Martz ends up in Denver as the OC.

nascher
01-23-2006, 08:00 AM
no way Kubiak will run the show on offense not MM.

morphius
01-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm not exactly sure why anyone would hire this guy, the best O's for the donx have been when Shanahan was calling the plays, not Kubiak.

I'm guessing this will not be the move that them back on track, just a feeling though.

cmh6476
01-23-2006, 08:39 AM
texans get a coach before the silver and black, how appropriate PBJ

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Maybe Denver and Houston can work out a trade sending Denver's first #1, Bell, Lelie and next year's #1 for the right to draft Bush.

I dunno.

Infidel Goat
01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I think Vince Young would look pretty good running a bunch of those bootlegs that we seemed unable to stop. How fast is David Carr?

--Infidel Goat