PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone think Roethlisberger would be this good??

Deberg_1990
01-22-2006, 09:26 PM
2 seasons: 1 AFC Championship game. 1 Super Bowl Appearance. Not bad at all.......I can hear Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning crying in their sleep....

Hes not spectacular but hes incredibly solid. I like how he plays.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think even the Steelers thought he'd be this good.

Ari Chi3fs
01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
He apparently did... Ben showed up at the draft wearing a nice suit... and got picked way later than the other suit-wearing draftees.

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 09:37 PM
He's another version of Jim Kelly

pikesome
01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I really thought he'd be better than Eli and Rivers but not this good, at least not this soon. Figured he be a couple of years before he got any good.

RedThat
01-22-2006, 09:51 PM
There was one play in the game he made that REALLY impressed me.

It was the TD pass to Hines Ward in the back of the endzone. Man, what a play.
He was scrambling to the left, and did a rollout pass over the head of 2 defenders. Very impressive.

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm sure nobody believe he would play this good.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I didn't think anyone on this site would be able to spell his name correctly. I love you, Deberg.

DaneMcCloud
01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
He's another version of Jim Kelly

What? The USFL Jim Kelly? The Jim Kelly who led the Bills to four straight Super Bowl appearances? The same Jim Kelly's who's in the Hall of Fame?

By the way, it took Jim Kelly 5 years in the NFL to reach the Super Bowl. Ben's done it in two.

And yes, I thought that Ben was going to be this good. And regardless of what happens in Super Bowl XL, he will win a few Super Bowls over the course of his career.

Sure-Oz
01-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Roethlisberger is solid and a gamer!

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2006, 10:32 PM
He apparently did... Ben showed up at the draft wearing a nice suit... and got picked way later than the other suit-wearing draftees.

Going 11th isn't terrible. He didn't have an Aaron Rodgers type slide.

Coach
01-22-2006, 10:36 PM
It's funny though. That was the QB class where Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers was in as well.

So far, Roethlisberger has outperformed both of them combined

ArrowheadHawk
01-22-2006, 10:44 PM
It's funny though. That was the QB class where Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers was in as well.

their are a lot of years left in their careers and rivers hasn't even gotten a chance yet. Eli is doing alright. Big Ben may be the best at the start but who knows what we will be saying in 10-15 years

Halfcan
01-22-2006, 10:46 PM
EliMae is a bust. Steelers will win the SB.

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2006, 10:49 PM

Big Ben came into the perfect situation it seems. He went to a team with a great defense, solid run game and a pro bowl WR. He was asked to basically just game manage his rookie year. Now in his sophomore season he has confidence and experience from his prior success. Its good to see a young QB doing well especially in the wake of Palmer's injury.

Coach
01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
their are a lot of years left in their careers and rivers hasn't even gotten a chance yet. Eli is doing alright. Big Ben may be the best at the start but who knows what we will be saying in 10-15 years

Oh yeah, there are plenty of years left in those 3. Spicy McHaggis pretty much nailed it on the head. Big Ben was at the right place at the right time.

Eli went to NY, where they were OK for the most part, and the Giants DID make it to the playoffs, but got embarrased by Carolina.

As for Phillip Rivers, he might be the biggest bust of all, considering that he hasn't played alot. What's even worse for him, is that he most likely will be stuck in Sandy Eggo for another year, probably backing up Drew Brees, unless Brees' injury is severe.

greg63
01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Roethlisberger is solid and a gamer!

ůSecond youngest quarterback ever to appear in the Super Bowl. Dan Marino was the youngest.

ArrowheadHawk
01-22-2006, 11:04 PM
ůSecond youngest quarterback ever to appear in the Super Bowl. Dan Marino was the youngest.hopefully big ben cherishes this it may never happen again.....just ask dan

Halfcan
01-22-2006, 11:07 PM
ůSecond youngest quarterback ever to appear in the Super Bowl. Dan Marino was the youngest.

And will be the youngest to WIN one in a couple of weeks. He is the new Tom terrific! I hope his Visa commercials are just as funny as Perfect Brady Bunch's those are freakin funny-even after two years of constant air play.

"Why can't I be Identity Theft?" Classic. Only the new Pepsi machine ones beat that. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Skip Towne
01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Of course I have the advantage of knowing Ben's grandma, I still didn't think he would be this good this quick. But many scouts thought he would be good as witnessed by his high draft status while coming from a small college. Bens' mother's folks live in Columbus, Kansas near Pittsburg.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Oh my oh my.

Is my step-team going to finally get some credit?

You look at QB, TE, WR, O LINE, and they're all solid. Even a young HB who runs a lot like a younger Priest.

And of course their defense is their defense.

This team could be good for a couple years. I've got a feeling I'll learn to hate the ****ers pretty quick.

And I think we're getting a defensive HC at just the right time... :)

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2006, 11:13 PM
But many scouts thought he would be good as witnessed by his high draft status while coming from a small college.

True, but he also was helped by Pennington and Leftwich coming from the MAC and having success. They helped allay those same scouts fear about level of competition and being able to transfer his abilities to the NFL.

Count Zarth
01-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Oh my oh my.

Is my step-team going to finally get some credit?

You look at QB, TE, WR, O LINE, and they're all solid. Even a young HB who runs a lot like a younger Priest.

And of course their defense is their defense.

This team could be good for a couple years. I've got a feeling I'll learn to hate the ****ers pretty quick.

And I think we're getting a defensive HC at just the right time... :)

The Stellas are going to be good for a long time.

They're getting a tad long in the tooth at D-line but that's about it.

Imagine if they upgrade the corners.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 11:18 PM
The Stellas are going to be good for a long time.

They're getting a tad long in the tooth at D-line but that's about it.

Imagine if they upgrade the corners.

The luster is off Ty Law now, making him cheaper, and the Steelers wanted him last year...

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 11:18 PM
What? The USFL Jim Kelly? The Jim Kelly who led the Bills to four straight Super Bowl appearances? The same Jim Kelly's who's in the Hall of Fame?

By the way, it took Jim Kelly 5 years in the NFL to reach the Super Bowl. Ben's done it in two.

And yes, I thought that Ben was going to be this good. And regardless of what happens in Super Bowl XL, he will win a few Super Bowls over the course of his career.

The way he plays with grit and toughness is exactly like Kelly

Count Zarth
01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
The luster is off Ty Law now, making him cheaper, and the Steelers wanted him last year...

He's a perfect fit.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 11:20 PM
The way he plays with grit and toughness is exactly like Kelly

**** Jim Kelly.

That prick cost us a super bowl... :cuss:

Skip Towne
01-22-2006, 11:20 PM
True, but he also was helped by Pennington and Leftwich coming from the MAC and having success. They helped allay those same scouts fear about level of competition and being able to transfer his abilities to the NFL.
That and being a great big f*cker with a cannon arm.

B_Ambuehl
01-22-2006, 11:21 PM
He was asked to basically just game manage his rookie year.

That's pretty much all he's been asked to do his sophomore year as well. His offensive coordinator does a great job of protecting him and he has an easier time throwing then probably any QB in the NFL due to his teams' ability to run the ball, the effect of play action, and his offensive line's ability to protect. He still is primarily a first option quarterback that gets into trouble if you make him pat the ball. Should've had at least 2 picked off today.

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
**** Jim Kelly.

So did Elway and Harbaugh, but that doesn't negate that they were good QBs

Rausch
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
So did Elway and Harbaugh

And to those douches an even BIGGER

Count Zarth
01-22-2006, 11:26 PM
That's pretty much all he's been asked to do his sophomore year as well. His offensive coordinator does a great job of protecting him and he has an easier time throwing then probably any QB in the NFL due to his teams' ability to run the ball, the effect of play action, and his offensive line's ability to protect. He still is primarily a first option quarterback that gets into trouble if you make him pat the ball. Should've had at least 2 picked off today.

That's true but Big Ben was the Steelers main offensive weapon today. They came out throwing and had very little success running the ball in the first half.

tk13
01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
I think Ben's grown up a lot this year. Last year his job was to not lose the game. The Jets and Pats both made him look like a rookie in the playoffs. This year he's actually making things happen with his arm. He's truly a weapon.

He's always been a winner though. That last Miami team he was on was really, really good. They finished in or near the top 10 in the polls, which is quite an accomplishment for a MAC school. If I recall correctly they beat the crap out of Louisville in their bowl game. Actually lost the first game of the season to Iowa then won out, they were playing very well at the end of that season. It would've been interesting to see them match up against some of the better teams in the country with as well as they were playing.

B_Ambuehl
01-22-2006, 11:34 PM
That's true but Big Ben was the Steelers main offensive weapon today. They came out throwing and had very little success running the ball in the first half.

He was still throwing to well designed first options designed to attack weaknesses in Denvers defense primarily with their rookie right cornerback in there. He did the job but I give more credit to his offensive coordinator and his offensive line. Denver was pulling the ol' Gunther Cunningham....live by the blitz and die by the blitz....dieing = making 2nd fiddle quarterbacks look like all pros.

Count Zarth
01-22-2006, 11:35 PM
He was still throwing to well designed first options designed to attack weaknesses in Denvers defense primarily with their rookie right cornerback in there. He did the job but I give more credit to his offensive coordinator and his offensive line. Denver was pulling the ol' Gunther Cunningham....live by the blitz and die by the blitz....dieing = making 2nd fiddle quarterbacks look like all pros.

His O-line definitely did a great job.

Where do you think Ben is on his ability to read defenses?

tk13
01-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Denver didn't blitz enough today I think. They got out of it too many times trying to be cute, and they had no chance then. There's no way they were winning that game rushing four and dropping 7 in coverage. That's not how they got there.

B2chiefsfan
01-22-2006, 11:39 PM

The O-line was giving Ben all kinds of time and awesome passing lanes.

Rausch
01-22-2006, 11:44 PM

Even when they blitzed he found the open man.

It wasn't always complete, but he was on fire today...

ChiefsFanatic
01-23-2006, 02:31 AM
This will sound like bullshit, but before the draft I saw Big Ben on ESPN [the only game of his I ever saw in college] and thought he was outstanding.

I told my best friend that he should be the first quarterback taken [he was a manning homer] and we argued. Then he laughed at me when Ben wasn't even the second QB taken.

Well, now, every week I tell him about it. Every week. He can't wait for Ben to come back down to earth.

Taco John
01-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Where's all this "nobody thought he'd be this good" talk coming from? The guy had a great rookie season, and showed a hell of a lot of promise. I'm not suprised that he's good in the least.

Fruit Ninja
01-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Hell even Plummer had a good season. So shitty quarterbacks can have a decent season once in a while. Yes, i think Jake sucks. He cannot throw to win.

I am sure Ben had alot of people thinking he was a fluke.

kcfanXIII
01-23-2006, 04:43 AM
**** Jim Kelly.

i believe marty ball cost us the super bowl

jspchief
01-23-2006, 07:42 AM
That's pretty much all he's been asked to do his sophomore year as well. His offensive coordinator does a great job of protecting him and he has an easier time throwing then probably any QB in the NFL due to his teams' ability to run the ball, the effect of play action, and his offensive line's ability to protect. He still is primarily a first option quarterback that gets into trouble if you make him pat the ball. Should've had at least 2 picked off today.Meh. He won the last two play-off games passing the ball. He's got awesome pocket presence, reads the field well, and throws accurate.

Is he helped by his D and running game? Sure. But he has also won some games for this team. The guy is a stud. I'm not going to try and take anything from what he's accomplished.

htismaqe
01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
The only reason I'm gonna hold off on the Big Ben v.s Eli and Rivers debate is because of Dan Marino.

Marino went to the big one in his rookie season and never sniffed it again.

Meanwhile, Kelly went to 4 and Elway won a couple...

Extra Point
01-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Big Ben's height and build helped greatly. Seeing over the LOS is a plus, especially on DSec reads.

Reaper16
01-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm on record in the months leading up to the '04 draft as saying Ben is beter than Eli and Phillip. But I never expected him to do what he did his rookie year. His play now isn't surprising considering last year's start. He's still getting better, too.

HC_Chief
01-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Soren Petro is the only person I heard hyping the dude prior to the draft. He stated Ben would be the best QB in that year's draft..... he was correct.

Cormac
01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I think his best trait is his poise. He's like Brady that way. Very confident in the pocket, and clever with the ball. Scrambles when he has to, and does so effectively. Takes a hit when the rush is coming. He's in a careful offense that helps limit mistakes, but that doesn't detract from his talent. He's a very good player. Not in Carson Palmer's league, IMO, but close.

Hoover
01-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Actually its 2 AFC Champion Ship Games...

Dude is my Favorite young QB. I think he is going to be great.

ROYC75
01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I didn't expect this, no way. I really didn't see him much in college and thought he was good backup QB material..... but a starter and do this, I'm impressed.

Chief Faithful
01-23-2006, 03:00 PM
2 seasons: 1 AFC Championship game. 1 Super Bowl Appearance. Not bad at all.......I can hear Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning crying in their sleep....

Hes not spectacular but hes incredibly solid. I like how he plays.

I can't say I knew he would be this good this fast, but I really wanted the Chiefs to move up and get him in round 1. I thought he was the best QB in his draft class and greatly under-rated. I saw him as a perfect fit in the Chiefs offense and the QBOTF.

Mi_chief_fan
01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
I didn't expect this, no way. I really didn't see him much in college and thought he was good backup QB material..... but a starter and do this, I'm impressed.

I saw him a lot when I was in college (Western Michigan). Saw Pennington, Leftwich, and Batch. There was no question in my mind he was better than any of those other QBs.

Chief Henry
01-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Actually its 2 AFC Champion Ship Games...

Dude is my Favorite young QB. I think he is going to be great.

He's going to win several Super Bowls. I wish KC had him.
He's poise under fire. He's has learned the NFL game very fast.