PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own the Motorola RAZR phone?

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Im sure this needs to be in the Geeksplanet, but I guess if it does it will be moved there. Im putting this in here cause I know I will get more feedback.

My contract is ending in Febraury and Im changing to Cingular. It will be cheaper and I'm joining a family plan. But anyways I'm looking to purchase a total badass phone. I'm thinking of getting the Motorola RAZR phone. Does anybody own this phone? I have heard there are some problems with it breaking (since its so light). I really like the look of this phone and the things it can do. What does everyone think? Is there any other really good phones out there? Thanks.

KChiefsQT
01-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I had it for a few weeks and thank god i had the option of trading in for another phone up until 30 days after my purchase. I hated it.. it's flimsy and the features are not great. You mine as well wrap this thing in bubble wrap if yor dont want to break it. I give it a 4 and those points come from looks alone. Horribly cheap.

Cochise
01-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I've got it. I like it a lot. I wouldn't have paid whatever unholy sum they wanted for the phone when it first came out, but now that it was only going to cost me like $50, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Mainly, I like that it's so thin... I refuse to be one of those guys with a cellphone clipped on their belt and this one is a lot nicer to have in your jeans pocket since it's so small. It seems well made - nothing is loose and the plastic is pretty solid. I can't imagine it would take more abuse than any other phone, but it doesn't seem cheap or filmsy.

It's got a camera with 2x zoom, speakerphone, bluetooth capability built in (I actually got a basic bluetooth free with the phone when I switched over from Sprint).

One other cool thing is that if you get this special cable and software, you can connect it to your PC and transfer the pictures off, put your own sounds and wallpapers on it, and the phone can charge from a USB port. The cable and software package cost something like $40 retail, but I found them on ebay for about $15.

By the way, nobody but a sucker buys cellphone accessories retail... you can get OEM accessories on ebay for a fraction of the cost. $30 for a car charger my :moon:

No breakage trouble or anything yet. I would buy it again.

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Whats the chances of it breaking in your pocket if you walk into a building and hit your leg on the corner of the door or something? I do that a lot. Whats your chances of it breaking if you drop it on carpet or cement?

Dunit35
01-23-2006, 12:16 AM
This could help the problem with the phone breaking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-RAZR-V3-PHONES-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HARD-CASE-COVER_W0QQitemZ5856954780QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Simplex3
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
This could help the problem with the phone breaking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-RAZR-V3-PHONES-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HARD-CASE-COVER_W0QQitemZ5856954780QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
So you're going to buy an expensive phone because it's thin, then buy a plastic case that makes it as thick as other, cheaper phones? ROFL

Guru
01-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Whats the chances of it breaking in your pocket if you walk into a building and hit your leg on the corner of the door or something? I do that a lot. Whats your chances of it breaking if you drop it on carpet or cement?

Walk into building often do you? :hmmm:

DenverChief
01-23-2006, 03:46 AM
I have had one for a couple of months now and I love it....no problems

meStevo
01-23-2006, 04:07 AM
GF wants this phone:

http://news.vzw.com/images/releases/VX9800H4Web.jpg

I kinda want:

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/photos/uncategorized/samsung_scha970.jpg

Tomahawk Matt
01-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Some people like these phones and some don't. I think it has to do with where you live in accordance to the tower that provides coverage in your area.

I know for a fact that Motorola has turned down the receive level on all of thier phones because they are concerned about RF exposure to people. So, some people who don't live as close to a cell tower have coverage issues, they pull their phone out of thier purse or pocket and get "Emergency Service only", or "No service".

Nokia phones have the hottest receivers and provide the best coverage. But 1 thing reigns true in cell phones, you get what you pay for. Want a good phone, you'll pay for it, get a cheap phone, and you'll pay for it.

I know this because I am a field technician for a GSM 1900mHz carrier in the Midwest. I drive out trouble tickets all the time, and most of them are for Motorola phones. But, consider that people in rural areas have trouble more than urban areas, which are usually covered better.

Hope that helps.

P.S. My wife has V551 and she likes it. Just stay away from the C350, V220, and the V180 and you'll be fine. Also, avoid the Nokia 1100 like the plague. They give it away free with some plans. The worst phone ever.

Smed1065
01-23-2006, 07:12 AM
I have owned this phone for over 6 months now and I have not had any problems with it. I live around Atlanta and Cingular has better coverage than T-Mobile did. I carry my phone in my pocket as well and have had no breakage problems yet, the case is actually made of aircraft aluminum and has no plastic parts-- the keys are even metal because they were afraid plastic that thin would break. I use Bluetooth with mine for convience.

jspchief
01-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a lot of buddies that work in commercial cell phone sales. Every one of them says the Razr is crap. For starters, Motorola phones are spotty at best. You're as likely to get a lemon as a good one.... inconsistent. Plus they have a lot less features than the average cell phone today.

Everything I've heard is stay away from the Razr and avoid Motorola in general if possible.

Elwaysux
01-23-2006, 08:46 AM
I've had it since it came out and it's been a great phone. Small enough to fit in my pocket so my pants don't fall down with my Blackberry hanging there. I also have the Bluetooth so it doesn't take a beating in the car.

HC_Chief
01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I just got a RAZR V3 a couple of weeks ago. It is a VERY solid phone, despite its miniscule size.

Radio Shack had a killer deal going in early Jan: RAZR V3 and a FREE Motorola Bluetooth headset for $29 (2 year agreement w/ Cingular required).

I like the phone and headset a lot. Only complaints: the menus aren't very intuitive, associating ringers and pictures with phonebook entries is not intuitive at all, and only simple ringers work when you use the Bluetooth earpiece.

If you get a phone that is bluetooth capable, do yourself a favor and pick up a bluetooth dongle for your computer. It will allow you to transfer files & pictures to your new phone..... this will save you $ on ringers and background images!!! You can pick them up at Microcenter (or equivalent) for around $30.

Simply Red
01-23-2006, 09:34 AM
No not me. I went with the Motorola MPx 220 Quad. I've found it to be a little more durable. Based on the Razor reviews I have read. Not to mention the functionality of the MPx far outweights the Razor.

Bill Lundberg
01-23-2006, 09:36 AM
I've had one for almost a year and it has withstood many drops and still works fine. Not sure where the flimsy comments are coming from. It's made of metal not plastic and mine has held up wonderfully. Service isn't a problem with the exception of a few "dead" zones in town which I've encountered with every phone I've had.

Robio9
01-23-2006, 10:01 AM
GF wants this phone:

http://news.vzw.com/images/releases/VX9800H4Web.jpg

I kinda want:

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/photos/uncategorized/samsung_scha970.jpg

I initially bought the LG9800 phone, but didn't care for it too much. The keypad is way too small for man hands, and the space bar isn't centered which made it even harder for me to text simple messages. Plus, the unit is very thick. Finally, you may not be aware of VZW's policy on crippling bluetooth on VCAST phones, but they do -- out of the box, all you can use bluetooth for is to connect to a headset or speakerphone. If you want to transfer files/ringtones, you either have to pay VZW extra $$$ for an additional service, or buy a proprietary transfer cable and use software like LG phone manager or bitpim (at your own risk).

I traded in my "V" phone for a Razr V3c and couldn't be happier. I wasn't a big user of text messages in the first place, and I don't feel a need to listen to MP3s on my phone, so I didn't miss the keypad and speakers at all. The slim form factor is great, as well as its build quality. I've managed to dent the aluminum shell from one of my drops, but the phone still functions perfectly. Finally, this phone has the same file transfer issues as the LG, but it's a bit easier to implement, since it only requires a generic mini-USB cable and mobiPhoneTools, which in my opinion is a lot easier to use than the software for LG phones.

Dunit35
01-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the comments. I think I might just pick the Razr up in Feb.

ChiefsCountry
01-23-2006, 12:11 PM
I have one, best cell phone I have owned.

The Bad Guy
01-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I have the Sprint version of the razr - the blade (really clever name).

It's awesome. One of the best phones I've ever owned.

Dunit35
02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I found out my contract ended Feb 9th. My plan ends tomorrow so I'm going to get my phone shut off so I don't have to get anything pro-rated. I am leaning towards the Razr phone. I noticed some people said something about Bluetooth stuff or something. Where can I find more info about that and where could I purchase the Bluetooth technology, ebay? What do I need to look for when buying the Bluetooth stuff?

Smed1065
02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
You can get Bluetooth on E-bay. I use a Jabre 250VT bluetooth with vibrate. I bought mine off the net (it was cheaper than e-bay) and they work great together. I love the auto answer while driving. Have had the phone about 7 months, no problems. You can research it on google or dogpile.com. for Bluetooth. They also have a Razr headset that is suppose to be good now.

journeyscarab
02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Get yourself a Sprint Blade (MM-A900). I have it and love it. The Bluetooth software is built-in, I believe. You have to find an ear piece that is compatable.

Cochise
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I found out my contract ended Feb 9th. My plan ends tomorrow so I'm going to get my phone shut off so I don't have to get anything pro-rated. I am leaning towards the Razr phone. I noticed some people said something about Bluetooth stuff or something. Where can I find more info about that and where could I purchase the Bluetooth technology, ebay? What do I need to look for when buying the Bluetooth stuff?

Post #3 is how I got one...

Smed1065
02-15-2006, 12:18 PM
PS I use Cingular and the Razr are free with rebate on Amazon.com. I have the black version. They shipped mine the same day via 2nd day air- no extra coast. You just have to get a new phone number IIRC

Smed1065
02-15-2006, 12:19 PM
PS I use Cingular and the Razr's are free with rebate on Amazon.com. I have the black version. They shipped mine the same day via 2nd day air- no extra cost. You just have to get a new phone number IIRC

htismaqe
02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I looked at the RAZR but I decided against it. While it's THIN, it's actually much larger than other Motorola flip phones...

SLAG
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
here is what I bought.. its a BOOST phone unlocked to work with NEXTEL

it should be getting here today

http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/a9/23/eb_1.JPG

Dunit35
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
I looked at the RAZR but I decided against it. While it's THIN, it's actually much larger than other Motorola flip phones...

I noticed that too. The price of it dropped though. It was $200, now it's $150 and another $50 mail in rebate. So I'll end up paying $100.

Smed1065
02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
They are free here with a bluetooth headset now.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/600990/ref=amb_right-1_159271401_4/103-1564685-6645425

SLAG
02-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Got it in today
Ba da ba da da
Im Loving it

ceebz
02-18-2006, 02:03 AM
The GSM RAZR is great in terms of reception. Other than that, it"s an overpriced pos.

The RAZR is nothing more than a V600 (3 year old phone) in a slim candy shell. It should be a freebie phone.

Do you know that there are two updated versions of the RAZR out? The RAZR V3i and V3x were both recently released.

Stay away from the RAZR unless you get it for free.

SLAG
02-18-2006, 02:07 AM
The GSM RAZR is great in terms of reception. Other than that, it"s an overpriced pos.

The RAZR is nothing more than a V600 (3 year old phone) in a slim candy shell. It should be a freebie phone.

Do you know that there are two updated versions of the RAZR out? The RAZR V3i and V3x were both recently released.

Stay away from the RAZR unless you get it for free.

Dont worry

Im rocking an i875