PDA

View Full Version : 15 Hours Later

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Ok, I logged on a few times during the game, but afterwards... I decided to avoid any and all sports related sites and channels. I hung out with the kids and it's weird, I obviously didn't have kids during the horrific 80's blowouts or the home loss to the Jags in the mid 90's... but kids do kind of put things into perspective.

I'm not as bummed or as upset as I thought I would be half a day later.

Denver certainly didn't deliver on either side of the ball.. Plummer had a bad game, the RBs were inconsistent and the defense gave up way too much every time they blitzed. I'll read some of the online stuff about the aftermath in a bit, but I'm hoping the defense is getting crucified just as badly as I'm sure Plummer is today. Those long drives the Steelers had were just horrible from a defensive perspective, getting killed on the blitz.

All in all... while some I'm sure some on this site have said this is the biggest choke job ever, I would disagree. It was a bad loss, but I didn't expect Denver to reach this game early on, so it was still a good end to the season.

They won 13 games... the AFCW and won a playoff game without Elway, so there were some nice accomplishments and it wasn't a cheap 13 wins like the 10 wins they had in 2004.

Looking ahead ... I'd love to see ONE badass RB, I think the RBBC is what failed them down the stretch. And, at WR... Lelie has proven that he doesn't want to be the man when Rod is gone and I don't know how much time Rod has left.

It's going to be an interesting offseason... good luck in Houston, Kubiak.

The Steelers are on a mission and they've definitely earned their spot in the SB.

MOhillbilly
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
A Denver run game would have made it a closer game.
Jakes field of vision gets fairly narrow when he doesnt have a run game.

Bowser
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
The Steelers are a buzzsaw. They are a whole other team now that Cowher has let Roethlisberger open it up.

My question from TJ's thread is what happened to your D? They played lights out at home all year, and dropped a turd yesterday. Was the injury to Lynch that big of a factor?

Andoverer
01-23-2006, 07:35 AM
MHM - You are the class of the Donx clan that comes here.
Can't wait to see what surprising head- scratching draft picks Shanahan makes this April.

Hog Farmer
01-23-2006, 07:37 AM
The Donkey is dead now.

I must go feed my pigs.

Elwaysux
01-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Is Shanarat getting killed for going for it on 4th down with 7 minutes left in the game and being inside his own 30? I was listening to the game on the radio and the announcers were killing him for going for it.

NJ Chief Fan
01-23-2006, 07:45 AM
props for showing up mhm

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Showing up here after a loss is really no big deal... reading some of the rants on the game thread yesterday was interesting.

I think Denver has just as small of a window of opportunity over the next year or two before a massive overhaul takes place. Denver has lots of age at key positions and nobody really ready to step up and replace them... more on offense than defense.

morphius
01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I thought the Denver run D was strong yesterday. They had one drive were they were able to run in the last two minutes of the first half, but otherwise they were pretty stout, IMO. Pass D was awful though, the Steelers seemed to pick up every blitz and embarrassed teh Donx on them. The Steelers really did know what they were doing out there.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Picking up the blitz was key... Denver had the pressure, but they were finding guys like Cedric Freaking Wilson all day.

Hoover
01-23-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with the RBBC thing. You have to have a back that gets 20 carries a game, if you want to sprinkle a little T. Bell on top of that thats fine, but you have to let your man guy get in the groove. We Chiefs fans know all to well about the RBBC.

Jake sucks without a running game.

You guys did have a great year, and getting a playoff win with out Elway is a nice accomplishment.

morphius
01-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Picking up the blitz was key... Denver had the pressure, but they were finding guys like Cedric Freaking Wilson all day.
Yup, taking care of that and doing a good job of only letting one of the Plummer roll outs amount to anything will kill the Donx everytime. If they are able to do the roll out they will just walk all over a team, but if it is covered well then I think this offense kind of falls apart.

Otter
01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
All in all... while some I'm sure some on this site have said this is the biggest choke job ever,

EASY!!! That's the only post-season title we have going for us these days.

The Steelers are on a mission and they've definitely earned their spot in the SB.

Yep, uh huh, definitely. I think they're going to beat Seattle but it should be one hell of a game.

You're stinkin' donx :D made it to the AFC Championship. I vaguely remember that while it sucks losing, the ride is fun. Good season in the long run.

Iowanian
01-23-2006, 09:01 AM
You're alright Mhm.

I can't say I wasn't cheering against the Donks yesterday, and I can't say I didn't smile every time Pitt drove another nail in the coffin or Jake held it for them while they pounded it in.

I will have to say that the donks had a better season than I ever imagined they would.

Its going to be tough to really pile on at this point, when any Chiefs fan knows we'd have loved to make it to the championship game ourselves, and the only smack we really have is Eddie Kennison being 3 yards shy of Smith, Splits on scoreboard, and now your draft position sucks-smack.

good season.

the Talking Can
01-23-2006, 09:13 AM
thank god for Jake Plummber...seriously...he doesn't just lose, he loses in EPIC fashion year after year...

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 09:40 AM
thank god for Jake Plummber...seriously...he doesn't just lose, he loses in EPIC fashion year after year...

Yeah, it's Jake's fault that the defense was getting burned on the blitzes and giving up 10+ play drives. Jake had a couple of mistakes, but it's not like he was the only one.

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 09:46 AM
IMHO Denver has a high risk, high reward defense. If they can generate turnovers, as they have all year, great. If not, they give up too many big plays, too many yards, to win against a good team.

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it's Jake's fault that the defense was getting burned on the blitzes and giving up 10+ play drives. Jake had a couple of mistakes, but it's not like he was the only one.

BUT MHM -- isn't it the SAME defense as you saw last week, except for the turnovers, more or less? It's high risk, high reward. Lots of big plays allowed. Lots of long drives allowed. But completely focused on getting turnovers.

FringeNC
01-23-2006, 09:56 AM

The problem that Donks have is that if they get down to a good team in the playoffs, they can't come back. Without the threat of the run, Denver can't throw effectively. Shanahan has done all he can with Plummer. You guys need to cut your losses, and find someone who can throw the ball without needing gimmicks to make him successful.

siberian khatru
01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I hung out with the kids and it's weird, I obviously didn't have kids during the horrific 80's blowouts or the home loss to the Jags in the mid 90's... but kids do kind of put things into perspective.

I'm not as bummed or as upset as I thought I would be half a day later.

I've gone through the same transformation the last 10 years. I still get royally pissed in the moment, but within hours these things just slide off me. Used to be, I carried them for a long, long time. 1995 left me catatonic. After 2003, I was just bummed (although you could also argue that by now I pretty much expect a total Chiefs choke job when the pressure's on).

At least you guys made it to the title game, MHM.

Sure-Oz
01-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Pittsburgh vs Seattle should be a fun SB.

B_Ambuehl
01-23-2006, 11:53 AM
No teams win in the National football league when they come up -4 in turnovers. That's the game right there. Don't blame the running game or running back. Jim Brown wouldn't have been able to run the ball in teh first quarter against the Steelers the way they were gearing up to stop it and by the 2nd quarter it was too late. Shanahan's running game often looks dull early on and takes over in the the 2nd half but there was never an opportunity for that as the score got out of hand due to turnovers.

fan4ever
01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem;
Jake's your problem. I'm surprised anyone is trying to cut this guy a break after yesterday.

I hope he has another 10 years in the NFL and they are all in Denver.

Claynus
01-23-2006, 01:01 PM

The way I see it your defense dug the hole and Plummer buried the team in it.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2006, 01:04 PM
I think this loss would hurt me the most if I were a Bronco fan because you're at home, your QB is supposedly playing better, and your defense is not too shabby. It wasn't just Plummer, but the D collapsed as well. But the stops that the Broncos D finally got in the second half, the offense didn't do anything with them. It was overall a bad total team loss, IMO.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I never said Jake was without blame. However, the defense wasn't exactly doing anyone favors by allowing long sustained drives and failing to stop guys like Wilson killing them in their blitzes.

I've never said that Jake was flawless, but he's been good in Denver. The ground game died down the stretch and yesterday, the defense failed every bit as horribly as the offense did.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the team. I like the young guys in the secondary, Williams and Foxworth - they got a hell of a lot of experience this year and did well. Next year, they should be better.

I can't recall off hand, but I think several of the Dline guys are FAs, so it will be interesting to see who is retained and who bolts for big $ after reviving their careers outside of Cleveland.

Offensivley, there's more than just Jake to be concerned about from my point of view. Rod is the only true weapon they have and he's getting damn long in the tooth. Lelie has failed to step up and if he didn't do it this year, I just can't see him being the guy in the future. The Oline could have issues, esp if Nalen leaves.

I like what the tandem of Anderson/Bell/Dayne... but, I really like the featured back - esp in the playoffs.

If there is a better option than Plummer this off season, show it to me... but, I'm not sure this is one at this point. Jake needs a team and on offense, they don't have a lot of playmakers outside of Rod Smith. Putzier and Alexander are all right, but they just don't do enough consistently for my tastes.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 01:11 PM
The way I see it your defense dug the hole and Plummer buried the team in it.

No matter how you dress it up, the team as a whole failed pretty equally in my eyes.

Lots of folks look at it and say "damn, the defense let them score again... ok, offense let's score... DAMMIT Plummer". I don't see how the defense or Plummer failing is any worse than the other. There were a couple of nice drops by the receivers/te's as well. Again - it was a group effort.

the Talking Can
01-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Plummber did what he always does in the playoffs...lead a team to humiliating defeat.

The numbers don't lie.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Plummber did what he always does in the playoffs...lead a team to humiliating defeat.

The numbers don't lie.

Well, not always... he did go 1-1 with the Broncos this year. He has 2 career wins in the playoffs since Montana retired.

mlyonsd
01-23-2006, 01:24 PM
However, the defense wasn't exactly doing anyone favors by allowing long sustained drives and failing to stop guys like Wilson killing them in their blitzes.

At one point in the second half the announcers said Pittsburgh was 6 for 7 on 3rd downs.

It gave me one of those fast forward flashbacks of our defense.

Inspector
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
The Steelers looked pretty unstoppable yesterday. And Jake looked a little like the old Jake. (Which we Chiefs fans have a deep appreciation for).

But, one thing for sure, you guys made it to the championship game and we didn't. So, while it was a bummer, it could have been worse. At least you had a chance instead of sitting at home.

It sure was a fun game to watch. The Steelers have given me 2 weeks in a row with something to cheer about.

But that's all I get. I'd rather see the Chiefs at the AFC Championship game...

FringeNC
01-23-2006, 01:28 PM
No teams win in the National football league when they come up -4 in turnovers. That's the game right there. Don't blame the running game or running back. Jim Brown wouldn't have been able to run the ball in teh first quarter against the Steelers the way they were gearing up to stop it and by the 2nd quarter it was too late. Shanahan's running game often looks dull early on and takes over in the the 2nd half but there was never an opportunity for that as the score got out of hand due to turnovers.

The turnovers snowballed. You get an early turnover against the Donks, and the lead, and they have big problems. When you force Plummer into obvious passing situations, you're likely to get quite a few more turnovers.