PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Thinking of adopting a pitbull in AZ

Robio9
01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a friend who works for the Arizona Humane Society as an EAMT, and she recently rescued a pair of pitbulls here in Phoenix. The male was chipped and its owner was located, but its female companion didn't have an owner, so my friend volunteered to foster it. She brought it to one of my volleyball tournaments, and I instantly fell in love with the dog. Her name is Cassie, she's about 9 months old, and has the sweetest demeanor. I am seriously considering adopting her next month, and I wanted to ask some questions to BigDaddy or MOhillbilly or whomever else might have pitbull experience:

1. I currently own a black lab/aussie shepherd female, about 6 years old and 50 pounds. My dog loves to play with other dogs her size or smaller, but at the same time, she's definitely a daddy's girl and gets gets clingy when I pay attention to other dogs. From everything I've read, pitbulls are also extremely clingly to their owners. Will having two female dogs vying for their owner's attention cause problems? What would be the best way to introduce the dogs to each other?
2. I also have a cat -- any thoughts on pitbulls interacting with other species?
3. I've read that pitbulls should have a lot of room to roam, but I've also read that they're perfectly good indoor dogs. I have a small house and backyard, but plenty of grassy open space nearby. Would it be fine to keep her inside the house while I'm at work, and then walk her for extended periods every evening? I foresee having to keep her on a leash at all times while outdoors, due to the reaction my neighbors might have about seeing a pitbull running loose.
4. The dog seriously has the worst farts I've ever smelled in my life. When she was rescued, she was extremely emaciated, so the foster parent has been feeding her high-calorie canned food to get her to gain 30 pounds. Does the breed have a reputation for being smelly, or can the farts be attributed to its diet?
5. What other questions should I be asking prior to considering adopting the dog?

By the way, I want to get a quick plug out for my EAMT friend Laura. She's going to be on television this month and next month on an Animal Planet show called "Animal Heroes: Phoenix" She and her co-worker Liz are easy on the eyes, so check out their show!

Seek
01-23-2006, 10:51 AM
From my experience with Pit Bulls, and that is little. I just know from family members and my neighbors. I have two Boston Terriors. But from what I see Pit Bulls are no different than any other dog. It is how they are raised that causes problems. Specially since you said you want an indoor dog. If you just left Cassie out in the back yard neglecting her from discipline, she can develop into one of the problem dogs. If you keep her inside and treat her like your own daughter, they act that way. It sounds like she already has a great personality.

I would be careful, with your cat though. Cassie is already 9 months old. She may not be very social towards cats.

I usually beleive the problem between cats and dogs is the cat. If your cat welcomes Cassie, the better chance Cassie will get along with it. If your cat scurries off at first glance of the dog, Cassie will most likely prefer to chase after it.

My dogs do just fine with Cats. My in-laws have three and they get along perfectly until a cat comes near their food, or scurries off scared of someone. Then they chase them. the neighbors who just let their cats roam wild, are the problem cats.

MOhillbilly
01-23-2006, 12:09 PM
First put the two together in a supervised visit and see how they react to each other.(id do it at your pad and on neutral ground on seperate occasions)
And id make sure if things didnt work out you could bring the dog back.

The PBRC doesnt allow same sex adoptions so i would think about that and id see if she was good w/ cats beforehand.
As far as the smell-changing the food would help.
and i wouldnt advise leaving the two together in the house if you leave.

If it were me i wouldnt do it. You dont know what kind of behavior damage
thats been done.
Coming from an abusive background,many problems could crop up after she gets adjusted to her new surroundings.
being a starved dog food dominance could be at the top.

JMO.