PDA

View Full Version : If You Can't Solve A Difficult Criminal Case, By All Means Drag An Old Sterotype...

FloridaChief
01-23-2006, 05:41 PM
...Into the story to further obscure the real issue.

Or, in other words:

Absinthe Linked To Cruise Mystery

Passengers Say Men Drank Liquor That Is Banned In U.S.
January 23, 2006
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press

STAMFORD -- An illegal alcoholic drink that gained notoriety in the 19th century for its hallucinogenic effects is emerging as the latest twist in a modern mystery surrounding a Greenwich man who vanished from his honeymoon cruise last summer.

Passengers say that absinthe, made from grain alcohol and the common herb wormwood, was consumed by a group of men last seen with George Allen Smith IV on July 5, the day he disappeared from a Royal Caribbean cruise of the Mediterranean.

C. Keith Greer, the attorney for one member of that group, Josh Askin of California, said Smith also drank shots of absinthe.

Absinthe is banned in the United States because of harmful neurological effects caused by a toxic chemical called thujone, said Michael Herndon, spokesman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

It is historically blamed for hallucinations and bizarre behavior dating back to Vincent van Gogh.

"In large amounts it would certainly make people see strange things and behave in a strange manner," said Jad Adams, author of the book, "Hideous Absinthe: A History of the Devil in a Bottle." "It gives people different, unusual ideas which they wouldn't have had on their own accord because of its stimulative effect on the mind."

Oscar Wilde, one of many 19th-century artists and writers who enjoyed the drink, thought the floor was covered with flowers while drinking absinthe, Adams said.

The modern version of the drink has much smaller doses of thujone than the amounts suspected in van Gogh's day, some experts say. The drink is legal in some European countries, though London bars typically limit drinkers to two shots, Adams said.

The accounts of absinthe come after a series of unusual developments aboard the ship.

Witnesses say Smith and his bride, Jennifer Hagel Smith, were heavily intoxicated and argued in the ship's bar the night Smith disappeared. Passengers say Smith called his wife names, and she responded by kicking him in the groin hard enough to double him over.

Hagel Smith has disputed those accounts, but said she doesn't recall what happened. She said she had never experienced the effects of alcohol as she did that night.

Hagel Smith was found passed out on the floor of a corridor far from the couple's cabin on the night her husband disappeared. Hagel Smith has said she passed an FBI polygraph test, and federal authorities have said she has cooperated with the probe.

Smith was taken back to his cabin by a group of passengers that included Askin, Greer said. FBI agents have questioned the passengers, but no one has been charged and attorneys maintain their clients' innocence.

The passengers last seen with Smith are also being investigated in connection with the reported rape of a female passenger three days after Smith's disappearance, the cruise line has said. No charges have been filed and the passengers have denied wrongdoing.

Greer said the passengers bought absinthe in Italy. The cruise line has said the young men were seen trying to sneak their own bottles of alcohol into the ship's disco before Smith's disappearance.

Two passengers on the cruise said the young men were drinking excessively.

"They drank the whole bottle," said Victorio Jove, a 25-year-old passenger from Mexico. "When I got there, the bottle was empty."

In recent years, absinthe has made a comeback, enjoying the allure that was kept alive by later writers such as Ernest Hemingway. Defenders of the drink say it is safe and its harmful effects a myth.

"When you drink absinthe, it seems for a while your mind stays remarkably clear," said Theodore Breaux, an environmental microbiologist and absinthe researcher. "You feel like you are lucid and alert."

In 2000, researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, reported that the 19th-century absinthe popular with artists and writers contained a potent toxin that causes neurons to seriously malfunction.

"You'd start to get hyper-excited and eventually convulsions if the dose is high enough," said Jeffrey Bloomquist, a professor of toxicology at Virginia Tech who reviewed the study.

Artists and writers such as Wilde and Edgar Allen Poe celebrated its hallucinatory effects, referring affectionately to absinthe as "the green fairy" or "holy water." But social critics, doctors and others of their era blamed the drink for madness.

Some symptoms described in Wilfred Niels Arnold's 1992 book on absinthe included bizarre and psychotic behavior, hallucinations, sudden delirium, suicidal behavior, convulsions and death.

Link (http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-apcruise0123.artjan23,0,2266303.story?coll=hc-headlines-local)

Count Alex's Losses
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I want to try it.

KcMizzou
01-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I wonder how many total hours that blood spot on the deck has been on tv. It seems like every time I flip through the channels, I see it.

RedDread
01-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Absinthe is a unique experience

...that's all I have to say about that.

DenverChief
01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't get what the stereotype is supposed to be?

FloridaChief
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't get what the stereotype is supposed to be?

Simply, that the consumption of Absinthe causes murder and madness. This shitass theory has been repeated for over 100 years w/ absolutely no scientific research to back it up.

RedDread
01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
The urge to kill is au naturale baby. The absinthe just makes it trippy and fun!

jidar
01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Absinthe has such a tiny amount of thujone it's ridiculous to blame it for anything.
The effect people think they feel today.. well, 'think' is the operative term here.

FAX
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Absinthe does not make murder trippy and fun.

You're thinking of marijuana.

FAX

FloridaChief
01-23-2006, 06:53 PM
I’ve had nothing but bad luck
Since the day I saw the cat at my door
So I came into you sweet lady
Answering your mystical call
Crystal ball on the table
Showing the future-the past
Same cat with them evil eyes
And I knew it was a spell she cast