PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs work on filling vacancies

TNTEICHER
01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star
Herm Edwards continued to whittle away at the vacancies on his Chiefs coaching staff, hiring three more new assistants and retaining three more of those left over from Dick Vermeilís staff.
From the outside, Edwards hired Don Blackmon to coach linebackers, John Matsko to work with the offensive line and Mike Priefer to coordinate the special teams. He also retained strength coach Jeff Hurd, assistant strength coach Billy Long and defensive assistant Darvin Wallis from Vermeilís staff.
Edwards needs to hire coaches for tight ends and defensive backs to complete his staff.
Blackmon and Matsko are NFL veterans who have been with several teams. Blackmon has coached linebackers for the Bills for the last three seasons. He has also been linebackers coach for the Patriots, Browns, Giants and Falcons. He also was defensive coordinator for Atlanta in 2001.
Matsko coached the offensive line for the Rams for the last seven seasons. He has also been offensive-line coach for the Cardinals, Saints and Giants. While with New Orleans, Matsko worked with tackle Willie Roaf, now with the Chiefs.
Priefer was an assistant special-teams coach for Jacksonville in 2002 and the Giants the last three seasons.
Hurd, Long and Wallis are Chiefs veterans, having been with the team in the same capacities for eight, five and 17 seasons, respectively.
Edwards last week announced Mike Solari as offensive coordinator, Gunther Cunningham as defensive coordinator and five other assistant coaches: Terry Shea (quarterbacks), James Saxon (running backs), Charlie Joiner (wide receivers), Dick Curl (offensive assistant) and Tim Krumrie (defensive line).

chiefsfaninNC
01-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Dick Curl always makes me chuckle. Same with Dick Trickle in NASCAR

CosmicPal
01-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Blackmon was a pretty good choice for the LB's coach. I wonder if Gunther had any say in getting him?

FringeNC
01-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Blackmon was a pretty good choice for the LB's coach. I wonder if Gunther had any say in getting him?

I hope so. If Gun chose him, that's one less person Gun and his internet posse can throw under the bus if the D sucks again next year.

Dunit35
01-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I thought the Bills had a terrible run D last year? Does that have anything to do with Blackmons linebacker coaching skills?

jAZ
01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
...defensive assistant Darvin Wallis ... having been with the team in the same capacit(y) for ... 17 seasons.
Wow! 17 years as a defensive assistant for the same team? That has to be a record for asst coaching in the NFL. Frank, Marty, Dick, Herm. Impressive run.

Dunit35
01-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I wonder why we fired Verduzco (sp)? What was wrong with him?

Wa-Z
01-24-2006, 10:07 AM
I thought the Bills had a terrible run D last year? Does that have anything to do with Blackmons linebacker coaching skills?

Their best LB was hurt all season. Takeo Spikes, they also have London Fletcher who is pretty good. I think that's a good choice as LB coach.

jAZ
01-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I wonder why we fired Verduzco (sp)? What was wrong with him?
He had a bad reputation and a couple run-ins with the police.

Dunit35
01-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Their best LB was hurt all season. Takeo Spikes, they also have London Fletcher who is pretty good. I think that's a good choice as LB coach.

Spikes played for alittle bit didn't he? He played against KC and we still racked up a lot of rushing yards against him. But who didn't we run all over.

Dunit35
01-24-2006, 10:10 AM

Oh, nevermind then. I'm glad he was let go.

Wa-Z
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Spikes played for alittle bit didn't he? He played against KC and we still racked up a lot of rushing yards against him. But who didn't we run all over.

He got hurt like the 3rd game of the season and was placed on IR, he didn't play against us. Buffalo had one of the best defenses last year. I think the reason they sucked is because he got hurt.

kc rush
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Literally