PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Springfield a nice place to live?

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 07:58 AM
I owe my soul to the company store through the summer of '08, but when I start looking for work again Springfield is a place I've considered (along with Tulsa). Right now I'm in a city of 100,000 in North Texas, well outside the Chiefs media coverage area. Of course, the idea of seeing a bunch of Chiefs games on TV can't be the primary reason I move to SW MO. I have school age kids, a wife with a profession and a desire to do what's best over the long term. Is there anything exceptional about Springfield or is it just another sleepy midwestern city?

Stinger
01-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Is there anything exceptional about Springfield or is it just another sleepy midwestern city.

Bass Pro and Lamberts!!!!!!! :p

Actually I have lived in both towns my perspective is this. First of all Springfield is not exactly a sleepy midwestern town. With 5 colleges and alot more has happened in the last 15 years in this town than most think. In fact many don't believe this but Springfield is the 3rd largest city in Missouri.

Tulsa is great city as well in fact if not for the family I would move back to Tulsa in a heartbeat, my wife on the other hand prefers the other. I like the larger metropolitan areas. I would compair Tulsa to a small Dallas/Ft. Worth. Very progressive in the city structure and city planning and thinking. Where as Springfield, which I would classify as a small Tulsa, is not as progressive in thier city structure or planning although I will give them credit that they are starting to turn that around with the Downtown revamping.

With the large city comes other influences: crime, traffic et all. But not to the extreme as Dallas but they are there. where as in Springfeid you can be anywhere in 20 minutes.

What I classify is this if you have a family or are starting a family there really is no better place than Springfield. Great schools, community, solid moral foundations, and just good people. If I was younger married or not I would preferr Tulsa just because there is more of scene. Although if you are moving with a family you really can't go wrong in Broken Arrow.

Now as far as watching Chief games they are on every week on TV and only 2 and half hours away if you want to drive to the game. I believe Tulsa does not carry every game but most of them.

If you have any specific questions feel free to aske them here or pm me.

Woodrow Call
01-24-2006, 08:36 AM
I lived in Springfield for 6 years and I enjoyed it. It is big enough to find stuff to do but small enough to get around in quickly. It is growing, it has the Cardinals AA team, decent concerts, and a lot of quality college athletics if you enjoy that kind of stuff. You can get to Stl or KC in under 3 hrs so you have plenty of options.

Only negatives are the Rams fans but the have gotten pretty quite lately. :)

redbrian
01-24-2006, 08:43 AM
I lived in Springfield for 10years and enjoyed it very much.

If you enjoy the outdoors, it is really a great place.

Not only can you watch the games on television itís also not that far of a drive to Arrowhead.

The downside is it can be a bit of a provincial and pious small town, it is after all home to several religious schools of learning and the home headquarters of Assembly of God, now to counteract that you do have a Brown Derby (liquor stores) on damn near every corner.

Bob Dole
01-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Mmmm... Cashew chicken.

redbrian
01-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Mmmm... Cashew chicken.

No stray kitty is safe.........

Bob Dole
01-24-2006, 08:48 AM

Mmmm... Don't care.

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
The downside is it can be a bit of a provincial and pious small town, it is after all home to several religious schools of learning and the home headquarters of Assembly of God, now to counteract that you do have a Brown Derby (liquor stores) on damn near every corner.

Well, one thing Springfield does have is a Unitarian church. If my wife and I want to attend a church that meets our needs, we have to drive 45 minutes into Oklahoma. Here in Wichita Falls, if you ain't Christian, you outta luck come Sunday!

Skip Towne
01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I've lived both places. Tulsa, no contest.

savedin79
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Get Saved then, and you will have your choice of churchs.

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Get Saved then, and you will have your choice of churchs.

been there, done that.

You live in Springfield?

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I've lived both places. Tulsa, no contest.

If you can spare some details, I'm all eyes.

Chiefs Express
01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
For those that live in Springfield:

The main drag that passes Bass Pro was overly crowded the last few times I was in Sfield. Have they made some kind of loop or bypass that is convenient for traversing town?

MOhillbilly
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
it blows. Thank god for the country.

KCFalcon59
01-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Mmmm... Cashew chicken.

That's the first thing that came to mind. Cashew Chicken at every corner.

Otter
01-24-2006, 09:54 AM
"Springfield, Springfield, It's a Hell of town! The School yard's up and the shopping mall's down. The Stray dogs go to the animal pound..Springfield, Springfield!!"

Chris Meck
01-24-2006, 10:07 AM
alright, this will be a little long...

I'm a musician by trade, and I'm well acquainted with Springfield-I've recorded several albums there, played there a bunch, have many friends there and will be moving into a house outside of town around there in just a couple of months.

The schools are fine, as the tax base is robust and climbing. It is a booming town; the main college there is almost twice the size of MU now. It's less like a city and more like a big-time college town; meaning no real 'industry', but rather it functions like a small town and the local economy is mostly centered around the college(s).

It's still CHEAP, compared to about any city you could compare it to. There is an embarassment of riches in musical terms; many, many really quality musicians live in Springfield and although the town itself is fairly oblivious you can see some great music almost anywhere, anytime.

There is an abundance, oddly enough of churches and titty-bars. Like on every corner. Odd dichotomy. Also, Springfield is the home of 'Cashew Chicken' and thusly, there are approximately 8 million chinese buffets.

So I sum up Springfield like this:

SIN. REPENT. BUFFET.

I like Springfield, and like college towns in general. I like it enough to move there myself, although I'm doing that largely for financial reasons.

Chris

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks Chris and Stinger for taking the time to answer thoroughly!

Count Zarth
01-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I visit Springfield every summer. I dearly love it.

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I visit Springfield every summer. I dearly love it.

I'm marking that down as a negative

Oxford
01-24-2006, 05:45 PM

There is a city ordinance that no cashew chicken restaurant can be within 1 mile of a pets store or animal shelter so they are not totally unprotected.

Oxford
01-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, one thing Springfield does have is a Unitarian church. If my wife and I want to attend a church that meets our needs, we have to drive 45 minutes into Oklahoma. Here in Wichita Falls, if you ain't Christian, you outta luck come Sunday!

Churches: Assemblies/Baptist/Church of Christ are the top 3. But religion is surprisingly diverse when you consider the area in which we live.

What do you do for a living?

|Zach|
01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
alright, this will be a little long...

I'm a musician by trade, and I'm well acquainted with Springfield-I've recorded several albums there, played there a bunch, have many friends there and will be moving into a house outside of town around there in just a couple of months.

The schools are fine, as the tax base is robust and climbing. It is a booming town; the main college there is almost twice the size of MU now. It's less like a city and more like a big-time college town; meaning no real 'industry', but rather it functions like a small town and the local economy is mostly centered around the college(s).

It's still CHEAP, compared to about any city you could compare it to. There is an embarassment of riches in musical terms; many, many really quality musicians live in Springfield and although the town itself is fairly oblivious you can see some great music almost anywhere, anytime.

There is an abundance, oddly enough of churches and titty-bars. Like on every corner. Odd dichotomy. Also, Springfield is the home of 'Cashew Chicken' and thusly, there are approximately 8 million chinese buffets.

So I sum up Springfield like this:

SIN. REPENT. BUFFET.

I like Springfield, and like college towns in general. I like it enough to move there myself, although I'm doing that largely for financial reasons.

Chris

Pretty good rundown...

Although I would add that with school age kids I would prob move to Nixa right next to Springfield...very close to Springtown so its not a burden or anyhting you get everything you want out of Springfield but Nixa has really really good schools...is growing fast and would be a great place to raise kids IMO.

Archie F. Swin
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
What do you do for a living?

TV Weathercaster

DMAC
01-24-2006, 07:07 PM
i just moved to st louis from springfield, where i lived for almost 20 years. i loved springpatch. there is only one problem with town, there is no highway that goes through the middle of the town. its all FRIKKIN STOPLIGHTS!!

Oxford
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM
i just moved to st louis from springfield, where i lived for almost 20 years. i loved springpatch. there is only one problem with town, there is no highway that goes through the middle of the town. its all FRIKKIN STOPLIGHTS!!

That's no problem because the drivers ignore all the red ones!

Arch ==> Only 4 stations here (two of them share a facility), but not much turnover here in the weather end of the newscasts. It is a small manufacturing/services/healthcare sector kind of economy, the wildcard is that Branson is opening the Landing (a redevelopment of Old Branson), BassPro to include a marina, Hyatt, upscale shopping, convention center, so no one is quite sure what that means for us.

Quite a lot of downtown redevelopment (lofts, restaurants). Cost of living is reasonable, a new 2000sqft home in a nicer subdivision is 185K - 220K. A major expansion of the airport is scheduled for the 2008-2011 timeframe so that might be a possiblility for you. Nixa, Ozark and Republic are bedroom communities within 15miles of Spriingfield that are growing more rapidly than the city.

Bob Dole
01-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Pretty good rundown...

Although I would add that with school age kids I would prob move to Nixa right next to Springfield...very close to Springtown so its not a burden or anyhting you get everything you want out of Springfield but Nixa has really really good schools...is growing fast and would be a great place to raise kids IMO.

Bob Dole needs to visit more often. Nixa used to be waaaaay south of town.

At least to an alumnus of Sunvilla 19th floor, 19mumblemumble.

Oxford
01-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Christian County taxes are really high, still no planning and zoning to speak of so your 5 acre paradise can have a 200 acre hog farm right next to it.

As to schools, send your kids to Catholic school.

Mark M
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
It's great if you're Christian, into cashew chicken, are fond of red lights, like your titty bars without actual titties, don't want to do anything after 1 a.m., are not a big fan of the arts, are a big fan of affordable housing, and like staring at hot college girls.

Of course, I haven't been back there since 1999, so it may have changed a bit ...

MM
~~:D

redbrian
01-24-2006, 08:20 PM

At least to an alumnus of Sunvilla 19th floor, 19mumblemumble.

Good god a dorm rat, I never would have taken you for one.
Well since your a big fan of cashew kitty I've got to guess that 19mumblemumble has to be mid to late 70's.

Ralphy Boy
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Lifetime Springfield resident. This town is great, so please stay away. We don't need anymore assclowns from Texas moving in and screwing up our shit.

P.S. Nixa sucks. It's a highway-town, full of metal buildings that were built as cheaply as possible. Its honestly the ugliest town I've ever been in, next to Joplin Mo. You'd probably love it there.

Stinger
01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Well lets see Tulsa has Skip and Springfield has Ralphy so there is another decision to make. Which grumpy old fart's city do you want to be associated with?

:D

Skip Towne
01-24-2006, 09:22 PM
That is a major consideration when choosing between Tulsa and Springfield. Jimnasium and I agreed that Tulsa is roughly twice the size of Springfield. Yet Tulsa has 3 choices of East to West travel on 4 lane highways through Tulsa, Hiway 11, I-244 and I-44. North to south, Tulsa has US 169 and US 75. Tulsa is easier to get around in than Springfield despite being twice as big. And Tulsa is a much wealthier town than Springfield largely due to oil money. Tulsa's Southern Hills Country Club is among the 10 best golf venues in the US. Several major tournaments have been held there. Springfield has nothing to even compare. Tulsa is just much more cosmopolitan than Springfield and is really an easier place to live with the advantage of more things to do. Both cities are clean and well managed. If you need an alternator for your 1998 Beemer, you can find one in Tulsa but probably not in Springfield. Tulsa is waaay ahead of Springfield. You should be comparing Springfield to Wichita, not Tulsa.

Skip Towne
01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Tulsa is barely 100 years old. While Wild Bill Hickok was gunning people down on the main street of Springfield, Tulsa was just a dusty prairie. Oil changed all that. Tulsa has grown by leaps and bounds ever since and continues to do so. American Airlines is the largest employer in the city with approximately 3800 employees. Tulsa is also among the nation's leaders in millionaires per capita as well. Tulsa is a modern, progressive city while Springfield is an overgrown cowtown.

Cave Johnson
01-24-2006, 09:47 PM
FWIW, Tulsa is a better choice than Springfield. Tulsa will have way more professional opportunities for your wife and probably a better school system as well. I attended 4-12 in Springfield and, while I did really well, my educator parents both think the school system is sub par. With Tulsa being at least 18-20 ranks higher in terms of TV market size, I'd have to think it would be a better professional gig for you as well.

luv
01-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Springfield resident. This town is great, so please stay away. We don't need anymore assclowns from Texas moving in and screwing up our shit.

P.S. Nixa sucks. It's a highway-town, full of metal buildings that were built as cheaply as possible. Its honestly the ugliest town I've ever been in, next to Joplin Mo. You'd probably love it there.
I live in SW Springfield, and work in Nixa. I like the area. I grew up here as well. Springfield is good if you like stoplights, Chinese buffets, churches, strip malls, or college kids. The older I get, the less there is to do. We do have a lot of activities directed at youth. We have a good school system. If you are looking at career opportunities, not much here unless you're a contractor, real estate agent, insurance agent, accountant, school teacher/college professor, or work in production. Oh, and I agree that Nixa sucks.

Also, lots of KC Chiefs fans here, but also lots of St Louis Cardinals fans, too. We now have a minor league baseball team called the Springfield Cardinals (original, huh? :rolleyes: )

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I drove through Springfield once, kind of reminded me of Omaha. That's all I've got.

Archie F. Swin
01-25-2006, 06:44 AM
FWIW, Tulsa is a better choice than Springfield. Tulsa will have way more professional opportunities for your wife and probably a better school system as well. I attended 4-12 in Springfield and, while I did really well, my educator parents both think the school system is sub par. With Tulsa being at least 18-20 ranks higher in terms of TV market size, I'd have to think it would be a better professional gig for you as well.

My wife will likely stay in public education for her career. Oklahoma schools are in the bottom 4 for teacher pay, unless things have changed dramatically over the last 10 years. That's a deterrent.

MOhillbilly
01-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Tulsa is barely 100 years old. While Wild Bill Hickok was gunning people down on the main street of Springfield, Tulsa was just a dusty prairie. Oil changed all that. Tulsa has grown by leaps and bounds ever since and continues to do so. American Airlines is the largest employer in the city with approximately 3800 employees. Tulsa is also among the nation's leaders in millionaires per capita as well. Tulsa is a modern, progressive city while Springfield is an overgrown cowtown.

He shot that ****er tutt from all the way across the square, its gotta be 100 yards.
And yeah its an over grown cowtown.
If you like stupid college kids,poor people and half ass yuppies,no unions and republicans, this is the place for you.

Dont you live in Arkansas skip??

Mike in SW-MO
01-25-2006, 07:40 AM
First I'll give my bonafides.

I live in Springfield (7 years) and work in the environmental field. I work with lots of railroad and other industrial types. Most of my time in Tulsa has been in the industrial areas. Like others, my opinions will be colored by the places I frequent.

Tulsa (500K) is a MUCH bigger city than Springfield (151K) with all that comes with it. Tulsa has a much bigger industrial base with oil and chemical companies providing a big part of the cash. That dependency on oil caused a big economic crash recently. Housing prices are currently cheap in Tulsa because of the job crash in the 90's. Tulsa has been a big city for a long time, actual age or not. With the money in oil right now, the economic depression probably won't last forever.

Springfield is a very historic old town with roots to the civil war and earlier. Until the last 20 years, it was a very small place. My wife (grew up 30 miles north of town) can remember when the mall was built in the 70's, it was out in the corn fields. Now it is practically downtown. The city has grown faster than city planners could keep up with in terms of highway systems. There are now bypasses on all four sides of the city. I live in extreme southeastern SGF and can be on the north side of town in less than 15 minutes. If you have to go through, it does suck.

Springfield is continuing to boom economically, with new business and home construction filling up open space at an amazing rate. There are also several bedroom communities growing fast where you can get 5-10 acre lots if you like an acreage with easy access into the city. (I'd recommend picking a location where you can avoid the cloverleafs.) With the lack of an industrial or manufacturing base, I don't know how long the growth rate is sustainable.

Schools are pretty good here. Obviously some are better than others and like any public school, subject to the political winds. Parental involvement will ensure your kids a better education than all the teachers in the world.

Long and short, Springfield is a clean growing community on the upswing with a shallow economic base and lots of transient (college) population. Tulsa is a larger, dirty, industrial city with a deep economic base. Larger media footprint but lower paying schools with more big-city problems.

Lots of pros and cons.