PDA

View Full Version : Rugby

SLAG
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football

Anyone Like Rugby..

Could one be a better football player from playing Rugby first...?

If I recall correctly the Jets kicker this year was like the oldest rookie ever or something I dont remember for sure.

Ideas

:shrug:
Just Curious

Mr. Kotter
01-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Thinking of joining a Rugby League to train for your NFL try-out, are you? ;)

SLAG
01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Thinking of joining a Rugby League to train for your NFL try-out, are you? ;)

ROFL

naw

SLAG
01-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the chiefs drafting a bad ass Rugby Player and have him Tear it up

Mr. Kotter
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the chiefs drafting a bad ass Rugby Player and have him Tear it up

It's possible I suppose, but you think it woulda happened by now if there was much of a "transfer" of skills and training.....kicking is probably the easiest and best way to transition. In addition to the Jet guy, the old Charger punter (Bennett?) used to play Rugby too, IIRC.

KC Jones
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
I played both sports and they are very different. Some of the football skill positions might share skills but football is so specialized and rugby requires a bit more overall athletic ability. It's a bit more like Basketball in that way - everybody shots, dribbles, rebounds, etc.

SLAG
01-24-2006, 07:58 PM
..... rugby requires a bit more overall athletic ability. It's a bit more like Basketball in that way - everybody shots, dribbles, rebounds, etc.

Whats wrong with being more athletic?

Wouldnt a Good Linebacker Play like he plays every Postiton?

Mr. Kotter
01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Whats wrong with being more athletic?

Wouldnt a Good Linebacker Play like he plays every Postiton?

Ideally yes. But, IMO, the combination of aggressiveness, stength and speed necessary for LBs often comes from intense training of people who posess the innate characteristics, rather than natural, overall, athletic ability. DJ seems to be an exception to that rule.

HMc
01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Something in which i supposei can weigh in. Neither Bennett or Graham played rugby, they played Australian Rules, which is mostly kicking, played on grounds 150 metres long. Hence why they had the skills to become NFL punters.

Rugby is probably closer in it's general gameplay, there are positions that would be the equivalent across the two sports, although loosely. I suppose linebackers would be similar to the "back row" or "loose fowards", those with 6, 7, 8 on their backs. Their job, among other things, is to own the Five Eight (the field general, like the QB) whenever possible.

The outside backs would be the ones with the most potential to cross over, they're physically quite similar. I think i recall that former NZ winger Jonah Lomu was being chased by NFL scouts in his heyday 10 years ago. 6"5, 265. ran the 100 in under 11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Lomu

HMc
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I would say that New Zealand would produce players cabable of crossing over to the NFL, with the correct training.

The problem would be that it is such an honour for a maori (or any New Zealander) to wear the All Black jersey that they want nothing but to do it as long they can. They're superstars in their own right aswell, these days getting payed very well (although naturally not quite what the upper NFL players get). Of course once they're too old to play at test level, they go play in England and get very well paid there aswell. I imagine that spenind time learning American Football would be considered quite a risk.

Mr. Kotter
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Something in which i supposei can weigh in. Neither Bennett or Graham played rugby, they played Australian Rules, which is mostly kicking, played on grounds 150 metres long. Hence why they had the skills to become NFL punters.

Rugby is probably closer in it's general gameplay, there are positions that would be the equivalent across the two sports, although loosely. I suppose linebackers would be similar to the "back row" or "loose fowards", those with 6, 7, 8 on their backs. Their job, among other things, is to own the Five Eight (the field general, like the QB) whenever possible.

The outside backs would be the ones with the most potential to cross over, they're physically quite similar. I think i recall that former NZ winger Jonah Lomu was being chased by NFL scouts in his heyday 10 years ago. 6"5, 265. ran the 100 in under 11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Lomu

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Demonpenz
01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I heard a couple were going to try out but were confused why there was helmet to helmet rules

greg63
01-24-2006, 11:22 PM

Good idea.

UKMike
01-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Even though you could give an equivalent for every NFL position on a rugby field, the only guys that could really translate in terms of skills are running backs and like someone already said, linebackers.

chiefsfaninNC
01-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Totally different game. Kickers would be the only ones I could see easily making the transition. The ball is bigger and heavier. Wingers may have the speed necessary to play in the NFL, but they would have to be taught how to run with blockers.

HMc
01-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Totally different game. Kickers would be the only ones I could see easily making the transition. The ball is bigger and heavier. Wingers may have the speed necessary to play in the NFL, but they would have to be taught how to run with blockers.

Actually the specs on the Wilson F1000 and the Gilbert Xact are pretty similar. About 28 inches circumference and 15 ounces.

Agree on the others. Kickers could do it, others could but would need to learn the game.

HMc
01-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Even though you could give an equivalent for every NFL position on a rugby field, the only guys that could really translate in terms of skills are running backs and like someone already said, linebackers.

The man in your av could be a placekicker. He might actually play more than two games in a row aswell, only playing 3 mins a game and never getting hit. :p

KC Jones
01-25-2006, 07:52 AM
I think Safety would be another position that could translate fairly well.

UKMike
01-25-2006, 08:55 AM
I think Safety would be another position that could translate fairly well.

Physically I'd say theres rugby players that could play every position apart from O or D linemen, because there just ain't rugby players that big.

SLAG
01-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I was thinking that since the ball was bigger and heavier and the game seems more Rough that it would be easier for them to play football

SLAG
01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Drop Kick Bump

Calcountry
01-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I played both sports and they are very different. Some of the football skill positions might share skills but football is so specialized and rugby requires a bit more overall athletic ability. It's a bit more like Basketball in that way - everybody shots, dribbles, rebounds, etc.Not if your on the Lakers and your name isn't Kobe.

C-Mac
01-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Played rugby for Pittsburg State back in the days...