PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue concerned about Redskins buying top coaches

tk13
01-25-2006, 02:42 AM
It's a little blurb in the middle, first I've heard of it though...

http://www.nbc4.com/sports/6395514/detail.html?rss=dc&psp=sports

Gibbs Gives Control Of Offense To Saunders
Former KC Coach To Help Struggling Offense

POSTED: 8:34 am EST January 24, 2006
UPDATED: 8:47 am EST January 24, 2006

ASHBURN, Va. -- Joe Gibbs is turning over the reins of the Washington Redskins offense, a significant change in roles for a Hall of Fame coach who found himself trying to handle too many jobs.

Al Saunders was formally introduced Monday and given the title of "associate head coach-offense." The former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator will call the plays and essentially replace Gibbs as the offense's chief game-planner.

"He will oversee and direct the offense," Gibbs said. "It will free me up to do some other things."

Gibbs wooed Saunders in Saunders' Kansas City home last week, even as Saunders was still considered a candidate for head coaching openings in Oakland and Houston. Saunders said Gibbs told him: "I don't know if I can do those 20-hour days anymore." Gibbs then offered a three-year contract worth about $6 million -- head-coaching money for a lot of teams.

"You don't often get a chance to work side-by-side with someone who's already in the Hall of Fame," Saunders said.

Saunders called the Raiders and Texans to withdraw his name, then told Karen, his wife of 35 years, that "this is our last move." His arrival gives the Redskins two heirs apparent when Gibbs decides to retire again, with defensive coach Gregg Williams also a prime candidate. Williams signed a three-year deal worth nearly $8 million last week.

As for Gibbs, he spoke of "chasing down the halls" this season to deal with his various duties as team president, a level of responsibility he didn't have during his first tenure with the Redskins from 1981-92. Saunders' arrival gives the 65-year-old coach more time to devote to free agency and other personnel issues and perhaps sit in on a defense or special teams meeting.

That said, Gibbs still will continue to be a mainstay at the offense's infamous late-night game-planning meetings.

"My heart is still with the offense," Gibbs said. "Al will probably be saying 'Shut up!'"

During the second half of this season, Gibbs showed and spoke about the wear and tear of the long hours, even as he leading the team to a 10-6 record and its first playoff berth in six years. He reiterated on Monday, however, that he plans to fulfill the remaining three years of his contract.

"The contract I signed wasn't for three or four years," Gibbs said. "It was for five years."

Saunders' hiring gives the Redskins 11 offensive coaches, enough to have one for each player on the field at any given time. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Sunday he was concerned about the high salaries Washington is paying its assistants, especially in the context of the league's ongoing talks about the disparity between high-revenue and low-revenue teams.

The Redskins have so many coaches that a title had to be invented for Saunders, although most of the team's titles don't accurately reflect the duties involved. Greg Blache, for example, is listed as the defensive coordinator, but Williams actually performs that role under the title of "assistant head coach-defense." Joe Bugel remains the "assistant head coach-offense," and Don Breaux gets to put "offensive coordinator" on his nameplate.

"It's not about titles," Saunders said. "It is about production."

Saunders, who turns 59 on Feb. 1, had interviewed for the head coaching openings in Kansas City and Detroit as well as Houston and Oakland. He was considered a top candidate to replace Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, but Herm Edwards got the job instead.

"It was disappointing," Saunders said. "That would have been a wonderful organization and a wonderful thing. (Chiefs President) Carl Peterson chose the coach that he felt was best for him and the organization at that time, and I understand that."

Saunders would not comment when asked about reports that Peterson had once been promised him the Chiefs job.

"I am just very grateful that I right now have the chance to do this with the Washington Redskins, and that is where I am looking," Saunders said.

Saunders was San Diego's head coach in 1986-88 and has been an assistant ever since. He joined Vermeil's staff as offensive coordinator in 2001 and installed a shifting, motion-laden attack that turned the Chiefs into an offensive powerhouse.

Saunders and Gibbs first met when Gibbs was an assistant coach and Saunders was a graduate assistant at USC in the early 1970s. Both are disciples of Don Coryell, who bought an innovative offensive to the NFL as head coach of the St. Louis Cardinals and San Diego.

"We come out of the same tree," Gibbs said.

The Redskins' offense improved from 30th to 11th in the NFL rankings this season, but it struggled in both playoff games. The 120 total yards in a 17-10 win over Tampa Bay was the lowest ever for a winning playoff team.

Dunit35
01-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Taglibue has a point. But Washington can do that and Snyder continues to overpay for everybody. So if I was Tags I would just laugh.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 02:45 AM
A limit on what you can pay assistant coaches is coming.....

tk13
01-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Just as a little reference here.

Gregg Williams - 3 years, $8 million
Al Saunders - 3 years, $6 million

Eric Mangini - 4 years, $7 million

BigMeatballDave
01-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Tags is a ****ing despot...atleast in his mind, anyway...

Bob Dole
01-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Interesting hierarchy...

Associate head coach-offense
Assistant head coach-offense
Offensive coordinator

siberian khatru
01-25-2006, 06:55 AM
"It's not about titles," Saunders said. "It is about production."

Why did I find irony in this statement?

StcChief
01-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Salary of coaches don't count against the cap.
Agree Synder is an idiot with too much money.

Aren't the 'skins most valuable ($$$) franchise

greg63
01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
A limit on what you can pay assistant coaches is coming.....

I think that would be Tagliabue trying to impose a little too much control over the league.

...Although you're probably right.

morphius
01-25-2006, 08:53 AM
For years we had the highest paid group of coaches in the league, it doesn't exactly guarntee anything.

The only real worry in something like this is that it will force other teams to pay even more for even more mediocre coaches, but other then that I don't really have an issue with it.

KCTitus
01-25-2006, 09:18 AM
There is a growing disparity between high and low revenue teams and Tags is right to be concerned about it. I dont want the Skins and Cowboys to become the Yankess/Red Sox of the NFL.

If the NFL doesnt rework the shared revenues, the NFL will become the MLB with a salary cap.

Stinger
01-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I think that would be Tagliabue trying to impose a little too much control over the league.

Yep

bkkcoh
01-25-2006, 09:21 AM
For years we had the highest paid group of coaches in the league, it doesn't exactly guarntee anything.

The only real worry in something like this is that it will force other teams to pay even more for even more mediocre coaches, but other then that I don't really have an issue with it.

spending money on payroll doesn't do that either, ask the red sox or yankees.....

it just seems to give them a better chance...

ChiefsfaninPA
01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
So let me get this straight, instead of previous years when the Redskins overpay for FA's now they are overpaying for Asst. Coaches and they think this will help them win how? The commish should have more important matters to adjudicate like the refs who suck week after week making TERRIBLE calls.

bkkcoh
01-25-2006, 09:23 AM
So let me get this straight, instead of previous years when the Redskins overpay for FA's now they are overpaying for Asst. Coaches and they think this will help them win how? The commish should have more important matters to adjudicate like the refs who suck week after week making TERRIBLE calls.

Amen :clap: :toast: