PDA

View Full Version : Now that Donnie Henderson is out of the picture....

RedThat
01-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Im curious to know your opinion if you think Jerry Gray would be a good choice as Chiefs new DB coach?

Personally, Im a big fan of Jerry Gray. Im rooting for him, and I hope the Chiefs express interest in him. I like the job he did in Buffalo. Liked him as a player for both Texas and the Rams. He was a good DB coach in Tennessee, and molded some pretty good DB's in Samari Rolle and Denard Walker. They had a well respected secondary during his tenure there.

Gray co-ordinated some well respected pass defenses in Buffalo. Finishing 1st and 3rd respectively the last 3 years.

So I figure since this team managed to hire Krumrie and Blackmon, why not Gray? Get a majority of that Buffalo Bills defensive staff in here, its only a good thing since they all can relate from working together for years. Im thinking all those guys, Krumrie, Blackmon, and Gray will be familiar with each other and get a good feel. They were very successful in Buffalo.

Ralphy Boy
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Im curious to know your opinion if you think Jerry Gray would be a good choice as Chiefs new DB coach?

Personally, Im a big fan of Jerry Gray. Im rooting for him, and I hope the Chiefs express interest in him. I like the job he did in Buffalo. Liked him as a player for both Texas and the Rams. He was a good DB coach in Tennessee, and molded some pretty good DB's in Samari Rolle and Denard Walker. They had a well respected secondary during his tenure there.

Gray co-ordinated some well respected pass defenses in Buffalo. Finishing 1st and 3rd respectively the last 3 years.

So I figure since this team managed to hire Krumrie and Blackmon, why not Gray? Get a majority of that Buffalo Bills defensive staff in here, its only a good thing since they all can relate from working together for years. Im thinking all those guys, Krumrie, Blackmon, and Gray will be familiar with each other and get a good feel. They were very successful in Buffalo.

Where did Henderson end up?

milkman
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Lions DC, I believe.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Went to the Detroit Lions to serve as their Defensive co-ordinator.

FringeNC
01-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm just glad we got rid of Guinta. Not necessarily because he sucks. If he was as bad as Gun-apologists claim, he'd never have been immediately snatched up by Tom Coughlin. I was just so sick and tired of having our D problems be blamed on a position coach. It was a joke.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm just glad we got rid of Guinta. Not necessarily because he sucks. If he was as bad as Gun-apologists claim, he'd never have been immediately snatched up by Tom Coughlin. I was just so sick and tired of having our D problems be blamed on a position coach. It was a joke.

Well, he was part of the problem.

But having Bartee, McCleon, Wesley, and Woods are another problem.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Per KFFL.com

Bills | Gray free to seek job
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:39:56 -0800

The Buffalo News reports Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray has been informed he is free to seek another coaching job elsewhere.

*C'mon Hermie you ought to give this guy a look

FringeNC
01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, he was part of the problem.

But having Bartee, McCleon, Wesley, and Woods are another problem.

Umm, you left out an important party, there.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Umm, you left out an important party, there.

Who's that?

FringeNC
01-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Who's that?

How about the DC, and the coverage schemes he called?

Ralphy Boy
01-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Jerry Gray

GrayAge: 43 | Coaching experience: 11 years | NFL experience: 9 years
2005 position: Defensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills
Key positions held
Defensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills (2001-05)
Defensive backs coach, Tennessee Titans (1999-2000)
Defensive assistant, Tennessee Titans (1997-98)
Defensive backs coach, SMU (1995-96)
Career highlights
2004 Bills ranked second in total defense and first in turnovers forced (39). Finished in top five in TDs allowed (29), passing yards per game (164.0) and sacks (45).
2003 Bills ranked second in total defense (second vs. pass, eighth vs. run) and fifth in points allowed.
2000 Titans ranked first in league in pass defense and total defense.
Influences
Brought to Buffalo by then-coach Gregg Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins.
Worked under Williams and head coach Jeff Fisher with the Titans.
Scouts takes: Runs a pressure defense that thrives on blitzes from all over the field ... loves the element of surprise ... knows how to identify personnel to run his schemes ... a very creative guy ... utilizes 4-3 defense but can use 3-4 scheme ... doesn't get as much credit as he should.

yeah I'd take him, and Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and anyone else he could get to come here.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 12:16 PM
How about the DC, and the coverage schemes he called?

Well....I know there are a lot of people that can blame Gunther.

I understand he played Surtain and Warfield 10 yards off their man. Most people would love to see Surtain and Warfield being applied in press man to man coverage. However, it's not so easy. Their are a few factors imo. The rules nowadays negate top CB play....And we really don't have a defensive line, so I don't blame Gunther for the way he utilized Surtain and Warfield.

My take on it is, did he really have a choice but to call those schemes?