PDA

View Full Version : All time O-Line teams.

coach_L
01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I've been arguing with a student this last week about the Steel Curtain and the Fearsome Foursome. The kids is just an eighth grader, yet still swares up and down one of the two was a nickname for an offensive line. I even showed him pictures and names of each and he still won't believe me.

It did get me to thinking though. Which team in the history of the NFL had the best overall offensive line? Where would the Chief's line rank with Roaf and Shields?

MOhillbilly
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
74 dolphins
the Redskins "Hogs"
88 Bengals

KCs line would be #1

foxman
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
05 Texans :shrug:

ROFL

Simplex3
01-25-2006, 01:07 PM
This kid is an intollerable a**hat and should be summarily shot so that the rest of us don't ever have to deal with him.

That is all.

coach_L
01-25-2006, 01:10 PM
This kid is an intollerable a**hat and should be summarily shot so that the rest of us don't ever have to deal with him.

That is all.

Well I guess this is a bit stronger judgement about the kids, but it is definately annoying to have him continue argueing with me.

As for you dealing with him. Unless you live around Woodson or Coffey Counties you'll probably never see him. The kid's got it tough and will have a hard time getting far from home.

Simplex3
01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Well I guess this is a bit stronger judgement about the kids, but it is definately annoying to have him continue argueing with me.

As for you dealing with him. Unless you live around Woodson or Coffey Counties you'll probably never see him. The kid's got it tough and will have a hard time getting far from home.
Well, seeing as how I'm a selfish prick I think we should still shoot him so that he doesn't live off the rest of us.

Of course I'm not serious. Why spend money on a bullet when he'd starve to death for free?

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
The Green Bay line during the height of their glory years was much like ours:

1. LT Skoronski/Masters - One spot on the line that wasn't strong, so Lombardi never found a permanent starter, much like our RT spot.

2. LG Fuzzy Thurston - Mobile guard who could get out on the sweep. After allowing for size differences by era, he didn't get the recognition that Brian Waters gets for us, but he was good for their system.

3. C Jim Ringo. 10-time pro bowler who was small even for his era, but very mobile. Our version is Wiegman, but Ringo is a HoFer.

4. RG Jerry Kramer. The heart and soul of the Packers' mystique, he was a nominee for the HoF on the senior ballot, but has not been voted in. Three-time pro bowler who led the power sweep. Our guy, Will Shields, is more highly regarded.

5. RT Forrest Gregg. Nine-time pro bowler, and HoFer. Our version of Gregg is Willie Roaf.

I count two surefire HoFers on each line, along with two other established players and one position that never quite got settled.

Other lines of note would have to be:

The Dolphins' line of Norm Evans, Keuchenberg, Langer, Little, and .... whoever played right tackle.

The Vikings' line about a dozen years ago when they had Zimmerman, Steussie, that center who went to Tampa, that enormous guard, and ... whoever played right tackle.

The old St. Lous Cardinals had a very strong line at one point when they had Dierdorf, Dobler, Tom Banks, Roger Finnie, and ... whoever played right guard.

The 70s Cowboys were strong back when they had Rayfield Wright and Ralph Neely at tackle. I remember that they had a top-notch center, but I don't remember the guards.

The old Chiefs had a pretty awesome line for a year or two when they lined up Tyrer, Budde, Rudnay, Moorman, and Hill.

I have a hard time thinking of a line I like better than our current one, and I think Welbourn may end up being our answer at RT. He played well last year.

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Late 1970s Patriots deserve a mention. Most rushing yards in NFL history (1978) -- 3,165. Super Bowl championship stolen in 1976 by the hated Raiders and Ben ****ing Dreith.

Part of that was that we had a good running QB in Steve Grogan. Part of it was also a great OLine led by Hog Hannah, possibly the best guard in NFL history

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Who else was on that 70s line, amnorix?

You guys had a very good line for a while when Bruce Armstrong was there. Did he overlap with Hannah? I remember that you had a good bookend pair of tackles.

I agree that Hannah was amazing.

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm pondering the original post, and wondering how the kid thinks that the name "Fearsome Foursome" could refer to an offensive line. Maybe the left guard wasn't fearsome?

Mi_chief_fan
01-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I was always partial to Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Lutz and Baldinger in the 90s. But realistically, the Cowboy line of the same time with Erik Williams, Larry Allen, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski and Kevin Gogan was the most dominant i've ever seen. But I guess i'm a young 'en.

Simplex3
01-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I was always partial to Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Lutz and Baldinger in the 90s. But realistically, the Cowboy line of the same time with Erik Williams, Larry Allen, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski and Kevin Gogan was the most dominant i've ever seen. But I guess i'm a young 'en.
Yeah, those guys turned a good running back in Emmitt Smith into a legend.

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Who else was on that 70s line, amnorix?

You guys had a very good line for a while when Bruce Armstrong was there. Did he overlap with Hannah? I remember that you had a good bookend pair of tackles.

I agree that Hannah was amazing.

Pete Brock was a standout, solid center for years. Leon Gray at tackle. Bob Cryder was another guard. I think Shelby Jordan was the other tackle back then. None were HOFers, but all were above-average. That plus Hannah, who was just absurd, made for a fearsome OLine. Add TE Don Hasselback, who was a very above-average, all around tight end, and those guys could block like hell.

Hog retired after the '85 SB run. Armstrong was drafted in either '87 or '88, so they never played together.

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Good point. Smith was very good, but not great. The only reason he has the all-time rushing record is that OLine, Norv Turner, who thinks that 300 carries a year is a brilliant idea for a RB, and his ability to take a beating for many years.

milkman
01-25-2006, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure that the Cowboys O-Line was all that much better than the Chiefs O-Line.

As Simplex said, that Cowboy line did make a good RB into legendary, but the Chiefs never had any RB that could compare to Smith, and still almost always finished among the leaders in yards rushing.

The nod does go to the Cowboys, but not by that much.

milkman
01-25-2006, 01:47 PM
The Green Bay line during the height of their glory years was much like ours:

1. LT Skoronski/Masters - One spot on the line that wasn't strong, so Lombardi never found a permanent starter, much like our RT spot.

2. LG Fuzzy Thurston - Mobile guard who could get out on the sweep. After allowing for size differences by era, he didn't get the recognition that Brian Waters gets for us, but he was good for their system.

3. C Jim Ringo. 10-time pro bowler who was small even for his era, but very mobile. Our version is Wiegman, but Ringo is a HoFer.

4. RG Jerry Kramer. The heart and soul of the Packers' mystique, he was a nominee for the HoF on the senior ballot, but has not been voted in. Three-time pro bowler who led the power sweep. Our guy, Will Shields, is more highly regarded.

5. RT Forrest Gregg. Nine-time pro bowler, and HoFer. Our version of Gregg is Willie Roaf.

I count two surefire HoFers on each line, along with two other established players and one position that never quite got settled.

Other lines of note would have to be:

The Dolphins' line of Norm Evans, Keuchenberg, Langer, Little, and .... whoever played right tackle.

The Vikings' line about a dozen years ago when they had Zimmerman, Steussie, that center who went to Tampa, that enormous guard, and ... whoever played right tackle.

The old St. Lous Cardinals had a very strong line at one point when they had Dierdorf, Dobler, Tom Banks, Roger Finnie, and ... whoever played right guard.

The 70s Cowboys were strong back when they had Rayfield Wright and Ralph Neely at tackle. I remember that they had a top-notch center, but I don't remember the guards.

The old Chiefs had a pretty awesome line for a year or two when they lined up Tyrer, Budde, Rudnay, Moorman, and Hill.

I have a hard time thinking of a line I like better than our current one, and I think Welbourn may end up being our answer at RT. He played well last year.

That Green Bay O-Line might be one of the most under-rated ever.

That Packer power sweep was damn near unstoppable.

Radar Chief
01-25-2006, 01:48 PM

Point’im towards the military. It could do’im a world of good. ;)
If he can hack it, that is.

siberian khatru
01-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Bob Young.

B_Ambuehl
01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
That cowboy line was probably the best I've seen but I'm not old enough to have seen some others. In the salary cap era this Chiefs line with Tait at RT was pretty damn good....was just about that good with Welbourn the latter part of this season. Denver has had some really good O lines. The Giants line of Jumbo Elliot, Ard, Oates, Moore, and 1 other who's name escapes me runblocked their way to a superbowl.

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Bob Young.

That's right. The world's strongest man. I knew that there was something of interest about the right guard, but couldn't remember.

coach_L
01-26-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm pondering the original post, and wondering how the kid thinks that the name "Fearsome Foursome" could refer to an offensive line. Maybe the left guard wasn't fearsome?

I tried making that point Rain Man. The kid's just really stubborn about it. His dad had mentioned something about an offensive line and now he's convinced there was an offensive line that never let their quarterback get sacked during the season.

There's been some great posts to read in this thread and I've enjoyed reading about some older lines that I didn't have a chance to see. There has not, however, been any reference to nicknames for these offensive lines so the kid's arguement is hopeless.

Thanks for the feedback to everyone. There's been some great information.

greg63
01-26-2006, 08:34 AM

...So quit arguing and ignore the little brat.

jAZ
01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
The most practical thing we can do now is to ask people to list the various great O-lines that were awarded nicknames by the fans and/or media.

Maybe coach-L can finally get the kid off his back by explaining that he's thinking of Washington's "The Hogs" or another.

Amnorix
01-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I tried making that point Rain Man. The kid's just really stubborn about it. His dad had mentioned something about an offensive line and now he's convinced there was an offensive line that never let their quarterback get sacked during the season.

There's been some great posts to read in this thread and I've enjoyed reading about some older lines that I didn't have a chance to see. There has not, however, been any reference to nicknames for these offensive lines so the kid's arguement is hopeless.

Circling back to your original post, the Steel Curtain was, of course, the Steelers DEFENSIVE line during their 70s heydey.

I'd never heard of the "Fearsome Foursome", but Google immediately hits on the Rams line of Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olson, Rosie Grier, and Deacon Jones. I can sure as hell see why that line was called the Fearsome Foursome. Jones was possibly the best pass-rusher in NFL hsitory, and the rest were terrific linemen as well. http://www.ramsusa.com/fear.html

Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen are in the HOF, of course.

The only OLine nickname I can think of offhand is the Hogs, the 80s Redskins line that helped them win 3 Super Bowls.

MOhillbilly
01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
i always enjoy hearing deacon jones talking about the head slap and how many sacks he could of had in a season if the nfl had kept records.

The headslap is a great move in the trench and id love to see it make a comeback along w/ the Flinch.

StcChief
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Redskins and the Hogs

coach_L
01-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Amnorix- I think he's really confused the Steel Curtain with an offensive line, because it was a defensive line.

Offensive line, defensive line..........same thing, right?

Amnorix
01-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Amnorix- I think he's really confused the Steel Curtain with an offensive line, because it was a defensive line.

Offensive line, defensive line..........same thing, right?

Sure. Just look at the Chiefs and Patriots. I mean, you can hardly tell the difference between how good those units are....

(God, can you imagine if we combined the Chiefs' Oline and Pats DLine (really, Pats front 7) on one team...we'd probably go undefeated)

Oh Snap
01-26-2006, 03:19 PM
How about the 92-93 cowboys line?

htismaqe
01-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Ask the kid if his "dad" told him that alligators are ornery cause they got all those teeth and no toothbrush...

mike_b_284
01-26-2006, 03:31 PM

my thoughts exactly

CHIEF4EVER
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Ask the kid if his "dad" told him that alligators are ornery cause they got all those teeth and no toothbrush...

ROFL

"Daddy's wrong AGIN!"

Rep.