BigChiefFan
01-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Position: Defensive Tackle
School: Michigan

Height: 6-4

Weight: 335

40-Yard Dash: 5.10(est)

Positives:
When most people look at defensive lineman, they look for sacks. Watson isn't that kind of player. He is a run stopper. At 6'4 and 335 pounds, he is a whale of a man who stuffs the interior of the line. His big body is hard to get around and creates big problems for smaller guards and centers.Sponsored Links

Watson constantly attracts double teams, which helps the players around him. He's one of the strongest tackles in the country. A 3-year (soon to be 4-year) letter winner at Michigan. Played against big-time competition and great offensive lines in the Big Ten (Iowa and OSU). Won't cause problems off the field.

Negatives:
Watson is not very fast or agile. He won't get up field quickly, and recorded just 1.5 sacks in his career. He has started only 11 games at Michigan prior to the '05 season even though he wasn't redshirted. Needs some polish and to make better reads on plays. As of right now he more of a two gap tackle. Could be a one gap if he sheds a few pounds.

Overview:
With more teams switching to a 3-4 defense I could really see him going top ten in April. A team like the Browns could really use him in their defense. He is stronger than Rodrique Wright but not as agile. Watson is most comparable to Casey Hampton.

Most have Watson ranked lower than this guy does in his overview. He could definitely be there when we pick, IMO. He's the type of DT we could use. Thoughts?

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Watson is a huge risk in the 1st round, IMO.

I watched him play 6 or 7 times and he's alot like McGlockton.

On one play, he'll look like the best DT to ever play the game. And then he just disappears for 3 or 4 plays.

He's got some major questions when it comes to attitude and work ethic.

By the way, I'm gonna move this to the draft forum shortly.

MOhillbilly
01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Being agile is a must at DT. you gotta be able to move in traffic from sideline to sideline if your a bigman run stopper.

Hoover
01-27-2006, 10:09 AM
So if he is like McGlockton he would kick ass, then we trade him for a high draft pick, then he sucks ass for them, gets cut, then plays well and leads a team to the SB?

BigChiefFan
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I didn't know there was a draft forum. Cool.

I think Watson could become a damn good player. He's the type of DT we have been desperately searching for. He's in the mold of Casey Hampton.

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 10:13 AM

:thumb:

Yeah, some people suggested it would be nice to have an organized forum of info on prospects, etc.

Taco says the draft forum at the Mane is one of the most popular they have.

It's been a success so far.

MOhillbilly
01-27-2006, 10:14 AM

I think Watson could become a damn good player. He's the type of DT we have been desperately searching for. He's in the mold of Casey Hampton.

but we need guys who can start now like DJ,not one who could become a good player.

BigChiefFan
01-27-2006, 10:20 AM
but we need guys who can start now like DJ,not one who could become a good player.
He WOULD DEFINITELY start from day one. Here's a nice profile...

Gabriel Watson | DT | Michigan Year: Senior
Home Town: Novi, MI
High School: Southfield

Height: 6'4
Weight: 333
40 yard Dash: 5.15 (est) Profile Added: 8/12/05
Profile Updated: 12/28/05
Biography
Also a wrestler and basketball player in high school, Watson burst onto the scene just before his senior season with a big performance at Michigan's NIKE camp. Watson stayed in state and committed to the Wolverines despite being courted by many top programs including Nebraska and Ohio State. Watson stepped in as a freshman and did not redshirt, but played sparingly. He saw more time as a sophomore, but still didn't make a big impact until his junior season when he became the starter and earned 1st team All-Big 10 honors. As a senior, he had his starting spot taken away early in the season, but re-earned it later in the year and still made 1st team All Big 10 for the second year in a row.

Analysis
STRENGTHS: Size, Power, Pursuit Speed
WEAKNESSES: Consistency, Pad level
NFL COMPARISON: Albert Haynesworth, Titans
Like Haynesworth, Watson is a big, strong tackle with good straight line speed for a big man. However, both players are players who coaches constantly have to try to motivate to play at their highest potential.
SCOUTING REPORT: The biggest area where Watson must improve his getting his pad level down. When he does this consistently (like the Rose Bowl vs. Texas for instance) he almost always ends up in the opposing backfield. He has such great strength and power, and is surprisingly quick off the ball for a man his size, that if he wins the leverage battle, there is almost no stopping him. But too often, he is firing out too high and thus, allows one blocker to handle him. Watson could be a player that commands a double team on every play, but this hasn't always been the case. He could do a better job of using his hands to shed blockers. He will occsionally resort to trying to spin off blocks, and will take himself out of some plays. When the play is away from him, Watson shows surprising pursuit ability. He has good straight line speed and will hustle down field and to the flanks to get to ball carriers. Watson is a high character player, but keeping his motivation up and making sure he plays to his ability level will be key for his NFL team.
Against Top
Competition

2003 Skills Grades
Measureables
Intangibles
Vs the Pass
Vs the Run
Pursuit
Read/Recognition
Collegiate Production
Upside
- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| 3-4=poor | 5-6 = average | 7 = fair | 8 = good | 9 = excellent | 10 = elite |

Overall
Watson has played both in a 4-3 and a 3-4. He has good potential as a NT in a 3-4, as he was at his most productive when Michigan featured him as a nose man. Ability wise, he has the size, strength and athleticism of a top 10 prospect. However, his up and down play will drop him. Watson grades out as a 2nd/3rd Round pick, but could go in the 1st Round based on his upside potential.
Projected Selection: late 1st-late 2nd Round

MOhillbilly
01-27-2006, 10:23 AM
i wouldnt take him in the first if i were GM/HC but im not.

but he could be the best Undertackle in the draft after looking over the other choices.

That Texas OT is who id shoot for in the 1st.
JMO

Chiefnj
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I'd much rather draft a high motor guy.

Way too risky to spend a 20 pick on a guy who takes plays off.
In the Ohio State game Mangold (who has a had a great week of practice) handled Watson one-on-one.

Big contract plus questionable work ethic = lazy player.

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Watson is NOT a guaranteed starter. There's a reason a 335-lb. monster with tons of ability is grading down as far as the 3rd round.

He's got Junior Siavii's head.

The only DT that would really fit where we pick in the 1st is Wright. I would only take Watson if we could take him in the 2nd.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Like others, I believe Watson isn't worth a 1st unless KC trade into the second round. As of now at the #20 spot I don't see S.Holmes getting past the Eagles, and McNeill might have secured a top 10 pick status. The players I see worthy at #20 are Jon Scott or Broderick Bunkley(<-- looked badass in Senior Bowl practices.)

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Bunkley has apparently bulked up since the season as well. He's been listed around 280 for a long time, but supposedly weighed in at the Bowl around 300.

He's got a lot of promise.

Chiefnj
01-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Bunkley has apparently bulked up since the season as well. He's been listed around 280 for a long time, but supposedly weighed in at the Bowl around 300.

He's got a lot of promise.

What was his injury? I wonder if it is related to too much weight too quickly on a frame that can't support it.

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
What was his injury? I wonder if it is related to too much weight too quickly on a frame that can't support it.

Haven't seen anymore about it. Thinking it might have just been a ding...

Miles
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM

I read it was a very mild concussion. Didnt sound like a big deal at all.

Don't know when he added the weight but he looked big in the Orange Bowl.

BigChiefFan
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
High-Motor Guys aren't always the solution either. I consider Dvoracek a high-motor DT, but Gabe Watson has the mammoth size we have been looking for. He also commands a double team. I understand how some could be reluctant to Watson, but comparing him to Savaii is stretching it just a bit. Watson has been an all-Big 10 player, twice and he's KNOWN for being a high-character type.

BTW, I don't recall hyping Watson as a FIRST Round pick.

htismaqe
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
High-Motor Guys aren't always the solution either. I consider Dvoracek a high-motor DT, but Gabe Watson has the mammoth size we have been looking for. He also commands a double team. I understand how some could be reluctant to Watson, but comparing him to Savaii is stretching it just a bit. Watson has been an all-Big 10 player, twice and he's KNOWN for being a high-character type.

BTW, I don't recall hyping Watson as a FIRST Round pick.

Both of the things you posted tout him as a possible top 10 pick.

You followed it up by saying that he could be there when we pick.

It's easy to see how we might have assumed you were advocating using our #20 pick on him.

:D

HolmeZz
01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I'd take him in round 2. Not touching him in the 1st.

HIChief
01-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, if Watson isn't a 1st rounder, who is? Let's talk about these folks.

HIChief
01-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, if Watson isn't a 1st rounder, who is? Let's talk about these prospects.

htismaqe
01-28-2006, 12:33 PM
The two guys that could be potential nabs with our 20th pick are Broderick Bunkley and Rodrique Wright.

The reason we're talking about Watson is because this isn't a very good draft for solid DT's. All of them (save for Ngata, who will go way before we pick) have question marks that could cause them to drop.

We should be looking at BAA, which may end up being a DE or S.

Which brings us back to Watson, a potential SECOND ROUND pick.

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2006, 03:26 PM
As of now Watson looks like a strong second round pick *maybe* late first from what I'm seeing on the Senior Bowl

Mecca
01-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Rod Wright is even more of a lazy turd than Watson is.........he doesn't have Watsons size or ability to take on double teams either.

The Eagles won't pick Holmes, Reid devalues WR's and LB's it's why they've never drafted either position high. I see the Eagles making alot of you mad and taking Marcus McNeill.

If you don't want Watson, Santonio Holmes is probably going to be the best player on the board when we pick.

HolmeZz
01-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I've become a bit of a Bunkley fan.

htismaqe
01-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Rod Wright is even more of a lazy turd than Watson is.........he doesn't have Watsons size or ability to take on double teams either.

The Eagles won't pick Holmes, Reid devalues WR's and LB's it's why they've never drafted either position high. I see the Eagles making alot of you mad and taking Marcus McNeill.

If you don't want Watson, Santonio Holmes is probably going to be the best player on the board when we pick.

Yes, Wright has issues with drive and work ethic, too.

Some of the reports I've heard coming out of Mobile about Marcus McNeill are NOT good.

htismaqe
01-28-2006, 07:34 PM
As of now Watson looks like a strong second round pick *maybe* late first from what I'm seeing on the Senior Bowl

His stock may rise at the combine too, because he's a physical specimen. He's HUGE and has alot of power. His tangibles should be real good.

It's all gonna come down to how worried they are about his attitude. If all they did was watch the games that I watched (6 this year) he's not gonna go in the 1st round.

htismaqe
01-28-2006, 07:35 PM
I've become a bit of a Bunkley fan.

Bunkley has put on some weight, he's up around 300 now it sounds like.

That would really help us...

Miles
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Bunkley has put on some weight, he's up around 300 now it sounds like.

That would really help us...

His added weight and not having the usual lazy DT issues are making him pretty appealing.

Mr. Laz
01-29-2006, 11:17 AM
wright makes be nervous ... i've seen him "drag ass" too much.

watson shows great power but apparently he is lazy too. :shrug:

Tribal Warfare
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
wright makes be nervous ... i've seen him "drag ass" too much.

watson shows great power but apparently he is lazy too. :shrug:

The guy is definately a player, from what I saw on the Senior Bowl coverage.

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 11:33 AM
If we lose out on some of the DEs we covet, we might consider trading down and getting big Gabe later in the 1st round. His stock could rise or fall depending on his combine numbers, but I think he's first round material after seeing him at the Senior Bowl.

tomahawk kid
01-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I thought Watson got pushed around alot in the Senior Bowl - sometimes by just the guard.

Am I missing something?

Mr. Laz
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I thought Watson got pushed around alot in the Senior Bowl - sometimes by just the guard.

Am I missing something?
the only time i saw Watson be pushed around is when he was double teamed by Giles and someone else.

Giles being the key ... he could match Watson size and power. Double teams not including Giles didn't push him around.

Watson is a big,powerful man .... but he lacks polish and a secondary move.

i don't know if you take a one dimensional guy like that in the 1st round.

tomahawk kid
01-31-2006, 10:34 AM
the only time i saw Watson be pushed around is when he was double teamed by Giles and someone else.

Giles being the key ... he could match Watson size and power. Double teams not including Giles didn't push him around.

Watson is a big,powerful man .... but he lacks polish and a secondary move.

i don't know if you take a one dimensional guy like that in the 1st round.

Kipers got him projected in Round 2.

I'd be good with taking him there.

htismaqe
02-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I'd be good with trading down and taking him later in the 1st even...

RedThat
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Too be honest, I think this whole thing of players stocks rising because of good performances in senior bowl and combines, is highly overrated.

I've seen this before, Ryan Sims dominated in the senior bowl, so did Micheal Haynes...And they suck in the NFL.

Judging players based on performances especially in Senior bowls, and combines, Im telling ya, it's overrated.

I think its fair to look at Watson based on his entire year in college, mind you, Im not saying to exclude his performances in the senior bowl and combines, of course we have to include that. After all, the kid is busting his tail to try to make it to the NFL, of course he is going to be at his best. This is no different than a player who is trying to play for a new contract.

All Im saying is, his performances in the senior bowl and combines should not outweigh nor underlook his college years.

From what I hear about Watson in college is "Inconsistency". He looks like a great DT one play or game, and looks non-existent the next play or game.

*I don't think he is a 1st rounder. I think he is good to be a potential 2nd round pick. I do think he is being a bit overrated.

Frosty
02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Too be honest, I think this whole thing of players stocks rising because of good performances in senior bowl and combines, is highly overrated.

No kidding. How many times have you seen someone run a fast time at the combine and go from "Who Dat?" to first day pick? Fabian Washington, last year jumped to the first round after running a very fast time. I don't recall him being a difference maker for the Raiders.

Personally, I think that the players should have to run and do all of the drills in the combine in full pads. I don't care how fast someone runs in shorts and tennis shoes.

BigChiefFan
02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Scouts watching Watson closely
By Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
January 26, 2006

MOBILE, AL - One who would know, Ohio State center Nick Mangold, says the only way to stop Michigan defensive tackle Gabe Watson is to "get low. Get low and grab on."

Others might say the only person who can stop Mangold's longtime nemesis is, well, Gabe Watson himself.

And that's the problem.

Watson has size, quickness, experience, strength and just about everything else an NFL team would want in an interior defensive tackle. He also has a reputation, one that says he doesn't always give great effort or seem to care that he could or should be dominating.

He was actually benched for a period of time last fall.

Watson raised eyebrows when he tipped the scales at 341 pounds at Monday's Senior Bowl weigh-in, but he's drawn even more attention since with outstanding play on the field.

Maybe the reputation is deserved. But at this week's Senior Bowl practices, he's been a monster.

"The knock on him is that he's not always an every-down guy," North coach Jeff Fisher of the Tennessee Titans said. "Well, he's been an every-down guy this week."

"It's always hard to find defensive linemen that play with great consistency," Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "That's going to be the question on him - can he do it on a down to down basis?

"But he's so massive. He's a very big guy that can be a very physical force."

Mangold knows that. He and Watson had some good battles in the trenches over the past few years, and they've battled in both individual and team drills this week.

"Being an Ohio State guy, my toughest competitor, of course, is a Michigan guy," Mangold said. "We're always getting after each other. We have a lot of fun battling each other. I think it's been a great battle."

Mangold is one of the few North team linemen who was able to get the better of Watson in those drills.

"He got me a couple times, too," Mangold said.

"Gabe has challenged all of the (offensive linemen)," Fisher said. "It's good to see all of the offensive linemen at one time or another have a little success against Gabe.

"Gabe has been very, very impressive. He's been disruptive to the point where we almost felt we needed to take him out so we could get something done inside (offensively)."

Watson said he's enjoyed just about everything about Senior Bowl Week, including the atmosphere, the competition and the coaching. He knows he's playing well, and he knows what the eyes of the NFL want to see.

"It's just a matter of doing it," Watson said. "I know I can do it. I've shown here that I can be consistent."

"What he's done this week shows that he can ramp it up when it means something," Savage said. "I'm anxious to see how he plays in the game on Saturday."

It's safe to say Watson has helped his draft stock this week. At very least, teams are going to take an even closer look at how he might fit and just how consistent he might be.

"He's a big, massive body," Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. "We'll look at him a little bit more and see if he can help us."

Watson will be closely scrutinized over next three months. Scouts are going to keep asking the same questions and keep watching the same things.

And with continued great effort and great interviews, Watson knows he can put himself on the fast track towards the top of the draft.

"I'm trying my hardest to get there," Watson said. "I guess we'll know in April."

Mr. Laz
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
i'd still like to see Hali in RD 1 and Watson in RD 2

i was hoping Hali would drop so we could trade down a few spots in RD 1 ... pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder then use that pick to trade up in the 2nd round and grab watson.

BigChiefFan
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
i'd still like to see Hali in RD 1 and Watson in RD 2

i was hoping Hali would drop so we could trade down a few spots in RD 1 ... pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder then use that pick to trade up in the 2nd round and grab watson.
I'd love to see it happen, too, but we aren't that lucky. Watson will definitely go in the 1st round and I think Hali's stock is on the rise as well. Hali looks to be a top 15 player in the country. I'm afraid we are going to have to trade up if we want him. Check out the video of Hali I posted on the Hali thread.

htismaqe
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm also beginning to think Hali will go ahead of where we pick.

Tribal Warfare
02-04-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm also beginning to think Hali will go ahead of where we pick.

I bet Darryl Tapp will be there, and again some reports have already said that he might had a better game than Hali. If he has a monster combine/pro day he'll shoot up into the top 20 in the first round.

RedThat
02-04-2006, 08:48 PM
If we are going to draft a Defensive lineman, trade up, and get the best guy available, Haloti Ngata.

Mecca
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
If we are going to draft a Defensive lineman, trade up, and get the best guy available, Haloti Ngata.

We have to many holes to make this a 1 player draft. Also to move up as far as it would take to get him would probably require a pick next year......

Tribal Warfare
02-04-2006, 11:25 PM

Won't happen, KC would have to practically give up all their draft picks to get Ngata. If KC goes D-Tackle I rather stand pat, and wait for Hali,Watson, or Tapp.

Miles
02-04-2006, 11:27 PM
We have to many holes to make this a 1 player draft. Also to move up as far as it would take to get him would probably require a pick next year......

Exacty. With as stacked at this draft is looking at the top, we would have to pay far out the ass for a pick high enough to draft him.

Spicy McHaggis
02-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Won't happen, KC would have to practically give up all their draft picks to get Ngata. If KC goes D-Tackle I rather stand pat, and wait for Hali,Watson, or Tapp.

I wouldn't mind moving up a few spots to get Hali.

Miles
02-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't mind moving up a few spots to get Hali.

Usually Im all for a move like that but unfortunaty losing the 4th for Herm makes that a little more painful this year.

Mecca
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
If the Chiefs don't get 2 players who start right away in the first 2 rounds. This draft won't be good. There's enough depth to get 2 players who play right away atleast......

htismaqe
02-05-2006, 08:40 AM
If the Chiefs don't get 2 players who start right away in the first 2 rounds. This draft won't be good. There's enough depth to get 2 players who play right away atleast......

Yep.

We have to get 2 starters out of this draft.

Mr. Laz
02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Yep.

We have to get 2 starters out of this draft.
ROFL

that's just funny

htismaqe
02-05-2006, 02:58 PM
ROFL

that's just funny

Actually, it's sad.

:banghead:

Mecca
02-06-2006, 12:12 AM
ROFL

that's just funny

That shows how horrible our team is at drafting...........alot of teams expect to get atleast 2 starters every year.

jspchief
02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
That shows how horrible our team is at drafting...........alot of teams expect to get atleast 2 starters every year.Unfortunately, the last 5 years this team has been coached by a guy that has a problem with giving young guys a shot.

For instance, trying to convert Monty Beisel into an OLB instead of giving Key Fox an opportunity. Giving snaps to bums like McCleon and Horn, instead of Hodge or Thorpe. Not getting the ball to our secret weapon Kris Wilson. Letting Derrick Blaylock build his free agency resume instead of getting LJ carries.

Maybe these guys are failures, but who would know? Vermeil was too busy clinging to his absurd loyalties.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, the last 5 years this team has been coached by a guy that has a problem with giving young guys a shot.

For instance, trying to convert Monty Beisel into an OLB instead of giving Key Fox an opportunity. Giving snaps to bums like McCleon and Horn, instead of Hodge or Thorpe. Not getting the ball to our secret weapon Kris Wilson. Letting Derrick Blaylock build his free agency resume instead of getting LJ carries.

Maybe these guys are failures, but who would know? Vermeil was too busy clinging to his absurd loyalties.

Pretty much, that's how we ended up with the oldest team in the league.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, the last 5 years this team has been coached by a guy that has a problem with giving young guys a shot.

Pretty much, that's how we ended up with the oldest team in the league.

curious to know if you guys where saying this BEFORE vermeil retired?

Mecca
02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
curious to know if you guys where saying this BEFORE vermeil retired?

Yes........I think you should atleast get 2-3 starters out of every draft. If you don't or your coach refuses to use those players, then your team ends up old, like ours.

jspchief
02-06-2006, 08:45 PM
curious to know if you guys where saying this BEFORE vermeil retired?Umm, f*ck yes I was.

I've been harping on Vermeil's refusal to play rookies since his first few years here. I bitched about him not getting LJ touches from day 1. I've always had a problem with his inability to trust young guys to produce on the field.

Chiefnj
02-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Yes........I think you should atleast get 2-3 starters out of every draft. If you don't or your coach refuses to use those players, then your team ends up old, like ours.

2005 - DJ, Colquitt, (and Surtain with the 2nd).
2004 - Parker and Allen.
2003 - Johnson, Mitchell and Black.

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 07:47 AM
2005 - DJ, Colquitt, (and Surtain with the 2nd).
2004 - Parker and Allen.
2003 - Johnson, Mitchell and Black.

Not one of them were starters in their first season, and two of them weren't starters in their 2nd season. Take 2003 of your list.
Neither of them would have played if it hadn't have been for injury. Take 2004 off your list.
We got THREE full time starters in 3 first-day picks. This almost makes up for the other two.

A team should be able to get at least 1 full-time IMMEDIATE starter out of every draft. Alot of teams get 2. Vermeil didn't get the job done.

Chiefnj
02-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Neither of them would have played if it hadn't have been for injury. Take 2004 off your list.

A team should be able to get at least 1 full-time IMMEDIATE starter out of every draft. Alot of teams get 2. Vermeil didn't get the job done.

I didn't realize there was a contingency and that starting sometimes isn't really starting.

jspchief
02-07-2006, 08:31 AM
A team should be able to get at least 1 full-time IMMEDIATE starter out of every draft. Alot of teams get 2. Vermeil didn't get the job done.Agreed.

I don't expect a team to rewrite their roster every draft, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect to see one of those picks immediately upgrade a position.

Vermeil is notorious for not getting his rookies on the field. part of the problem was that we drafted projects like Siavii, and the part of the problem was that Vermeil just stashed the young guys away on the practice squad. At the very least, some of those guys should be getting special teams snaps to start adjusting to the speed and power of the game.

This team has been bad at getting immediate improvements to the roster via the draft. 2005 being the exception.

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I didn't realize there was a contingency and that starting sometimes isn't really starting.

How can you consider them starters? They were 2nd on the two-deep. That makes them starters due to injury.

If Vermeil hadn't been FORCED TO, we would have never seen Jared Allen.

BigChiefFan
02-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm glad Vermeil won't be here encouraging us to pass on a potential bad-ass D-lineman, because they may be a little overweight. Has Vermeil even seen Casey Hampton?

BigChiefFan
02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
http://www.seniorbowl.com/2006/news/2006bowlswed.htm

Watson is a massive, 6-4, 331-pound dominating defensive tackle, earning first-team All-Big Ten honors for the Wolverines each of the last two seasons.

Michigan All-Big Ten Defensive Tackle
Gabe Watson

One of the premier run stoppers in all of college football, the Novi, Mich., native and Playboy Magazine All-American made 36 total tackles, seven for loss, and had three sacks from his nose tackle position despite constantly drawing double teams throughout the year. He finished his career with 88 tackles, 15 for loss, and five sacks.

htismaqe
02-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I think the best possible scenario is that Watson's stock stays flat and we can trade down to get him.

He's the guy I really want, but I'm really wary of giving him the guaranteed money that comes with the 20th pick.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
I think the best possible scenario is that Watson's stock stays flat and we can trade down to get him.

He's the guy I really want, but I'm really wary of giving him the guaranteed money that comes with the 20th pick.

i still want Tamba Hali in the 1st round and then trade up and grab Watson in the 2nd round. :harumph:

BigChiefFan
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I like Hali, too. He would be a great compliment to Jared Allen on the other side. Getting Hali and Watson in the same draft, would make me drool, but I can't see it happening. I've got Hali as a top 15 player in this draft. I also have Gabe Watson in the mid 1st rounder to upper 2nd rounder. We would have to trade up in both rounds to get these guys and we still have other needs, but I'd love to see our D-line improved over night with a stellar start to a draft with those two players.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I like Hali, too. He would be a great compliment to Jared Allen on the other side. Getting Hali and Watson in the same draft, would make me drool, but I can't see it happening. I've got Hali as a top 15 player in this draft. I also have Gabe Watson in the mid 1st rounder to upper 2nd rounder. We would have to trade up in both rounds to get these guys and we still have other needs, but I'd love to see our D-line improved over night with a stellar start to a draft with those two players.

imo the best thing we can do for the defense is get 2 huge "moving-wall" defensive tackles in the middle and 2 athletic edge rushers at DE

jared allen - good edge rusher, good motor

LDalton \ 680lbs
Watson / of DT

Hali - moves great in space, fast enough to drop into coverage

these 4 guys would form a natural horseshoe shaped pocket to stop the run and surround the quarterback. A great start to a pressure defense.

htismaqe
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Getting both Hali and Watson would just be too fitting.

It'll never happen.

I agree with BCF - we'd have to trade up in the 1st to get Hali AND trade up in the 2nd to get Watson.

FYI, Dalton is not 340 lbs. He's the same size as Sims - 315.

MOhillbilly
02-15-2006, 07:58 AM
The knock on watsons feet bothers me more than his lack of drive. I cant explain enough how much quick feet and quick hands are a must at the UDT & ODT positions.
You have to instantly be able to square you body into the gap and that all starts w/ the feet.

ct
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Getting both Hali and Watson would just be too fitting.

It'll never happen.

I agree with BCF - we'd have to trade up in the 1st to get Hali AND trade up in the 2nd to get Watson.

FYI, Dalton is not 340 lbs. He's the same size as Sims - 315.

My hope lately is guys like Kiwi or Tapp or whomever will wow the scouts with clock speeds at the combine, and Tamba Hali will slide a bit.

I keep hearing what you guys are saying on Watson, and I'd love to get his potential in the 2nd, but sounds like he'll have to tank a bit at the combine to slide that far.

Anyway, Hali in the 1st and Watson in the 2nd would be sweet, IMHO. But say Watson is gone, how would Bunkley or Wright or Harris sound?

My original dream was for Seymour's contract situation to get him on the market, and somehow we fit him in aside Sims. Then get an edge rusher in round1. Since that dream is out of sight, I'm now on the DE/DT 1-2 punch come draft day. Hali is the guy I want.

htismaqe
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Bunkley has put on some weight. He was 300 at the Senior Bowl.

To me, he was a good motor guy that was too small before. If he stays at 300 and can perform like he used to, he'd be a really good pick.

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2006, 04:44 PM
BUMP for some who want to pimp Watson

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2006, 04:50 PM
if Watson falls to KC in the second round I'd take him without hesitating

melbar
03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
BUMP for some who want to pimp Watson
Well ...crap :rolleyes: