01-28-2006, 09:35 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Position: Offensive Tackle
School: Virginia

Height: 6-5

Weight: 295

40-Yard Dash: 4.85 (est)

Positives:
D'Brickashaw Ferguson is an absolutely incredible athlete for his position. His technique is strongly reminiscent of Walter Jones in that while he isn't a mauling tackle, his footwork and balance are so good that he keeps his man in front of him and keeps his opponent off balance with his long arms and large hands. Should be an almost unmatched pass-blocker after a few years in the NFL with his technique.

Negatives:
Ferguson is slightly undersized, and there are some concerns that his mobility may suffer if he gets much bigger. His current lack of size also lends concerns to his run-blocking ability at the professional level.

Overview:
Ferguson is one of the strongest, most solid tackles in the nation. He has started every game for the Cavaliers over the past three years, earning All-ACC honors in 2004 and several ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors over the last three years. He was talked about for months as being a potential first-round draft pick in the 2005 NFL draft, but Ferguson elected to stay with Virginia for his senior season.

I keep hearing Reggie Bush being pimped as the best overall player in the country and I just don't see it, especially when you consider how much help the Texans O-line could use. Bush is not an everydown back behind their O-line. If I was GM, I'd pass and get the best OT in the draft. Thoughts?

Mecca
01-28-2006, 09:40 PM
They won't because if they pass on Bush and he turns into the star people think he will be. Their whole front office will be lambasted and fired for that 1 move. Their player personel guys will have a hard time finding work with other teams "Oh your the guy who passed on Reggie Bush".

Sometimes the safest pick isn't the best pick, but passing on Bush could cost people with that organization their jobs.

BigChiefFan
01-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Bush is a GREAT athlete, but I can't see him carrying a team. Ferguson could be the anchor to their line for the next 12 years.

Reaper16
01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
They won't do it, but they should.

Mecca
01-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't take an offensive lineman with the first pick in the draft either, they'd have to trade down and risk losing Ferguson to make that move.

Reaper16
01-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't take an offensive lineman with the first pick in the draft either, they'd have to trade down and risk losing Ferguson to make that move.
He won't go in the top 3.

Dunit35
01-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't take Bush. They need offensive lineman more than anything. A running back is only as good as his offensive lineman (exceptions to some). They have Dominick Davis. Bush only got like below 15 carries a game in college. You can't use him on punt, kick, receiving and rushing.

htismaqe
01-29-2006, 06:00 AM
I think the Texans are gonna take Vince Young.

milkman
01-29-2006, 07:46 AM
I think the Texans are gonna take Vince Young.

Why do you think that?

I think it's Bush, then O-Line in second round, and third round, as well.

htismaqe
01-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Why do you think that?

I think it's Bush, then O-Line in second round, and third round, as well.

There's alot of smoke in Houston about them wanting the hometown kid. ALOT of smoke.

RedThat
01-29-2006, 11:45 AM
D'Brickshaw would be an excellent choice for the texans. He is exactly what they need.

Bowser
01-29-2006, 12:03 PM
D'Brickshaw would be an excellent choice for the texans. He is exactly what they need.

Which is exactly why they won't take him. New coach trying to impress the fan base, and all that....

B_Ambuehl
01-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Bad organizations make the same mistakes over and over again...and the Texans appear to be a bad organization. (See Bengals 18 of the last 20 years, Browns over the same time span etc.)

They will draft either Bush or Young and continue to struggle.

Dunit35
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Bad organizations make the same mistakes over and over again...and the Texans appear to be a bad organization. (See Bengals 18 of the last 20 years, Browns over the same time span etc.)

They will draft either Bush or Young and continue to struggle.

Exactly. Drafting players they don't need. That's what Houston will do to.

Mr. Laz
01-29-2006, 08:36 PM
trade down and then pick Brick

Reaper16
01-29-2006, 08:43 PM
That'd be ideal.

shaneo69
01-29-2006, 09:04 PM

I just saw a note on KFFL about the Texans being in discussions with the Vikings about trading for Troy Williamson. I'm guessing the Vikings would take a QB with Houston's 1st overall pick, then trade Culpepper to someone else in order to get another first rounder. Houston would get Williamson to team with Andre Johnson and David Carr, then they could take a LT with the Vikings 1st rounder that they acquired along with Williamson.

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 07:20 AM
I just saw a note on KFFL about the Texans being in discussions with the Vikings about trading for Troy Williamson. I'm guessing the Vikings would take a QB with Houston's 1st overall pick, then trade Culpepper to someone else in order to get another first rounder. Houston would get Williamson to team with Andre Johnson and David Carr, then they could take a LT with the Vikings 1st rounder that they acquired along with Williamson. The Vikings pick AFTER the Jets. I can't see the Texans being able to trade down below the Jets and still landing D'Brickashaw Ferguson. It sounds good on paper, but doesn't add up to the Texans getting who they covet in the draft.

shaneo69
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
The Vikings pick AFTER the Jets. I can't see the Texans being able to trade down below the Jets and still landing D'Brickashaw Ferguson. It sounds good on paper, but doesn't add up to the Texans getting who they covet in the draft.

So they don't get Ferguson. Instead they get Troy Williamson and Marcus McNeill.

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 11:30 AM
So they don't get Ferguson. Instead they get Troy Williamson and Marcus McNeill.
Would you give up the BEST OVERALL player in the draft for Troy Williamson and a lesser pick? I wouldn't.

shaneo69
01-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Would you give up the BEST OVERALL player in the draft for Troy Williamson and a lesser pick? I wouldn't.

Ferguson's not the best overall player in the draft IMO. He won't throw any TD passes, run for any TD scores, catch any TD passes, make any tackles, cause any fumbles, or intercept any passes.

I guess we have different draft philosophies. I wouldn't ever take an offensive lineman in the 1st round, unless I had more than one 1st rounder, or if I just won the Super Bowl and have no other weaknesses. Even if Willie Roaf retired, I would still take a defensive playmaker in the 1st round. I'd do what the Chiefs have done....draft guys like Black, Williams, Svitek, Parquet, and Sampson in the late rounds and then give them a couple years to develop.

New England won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years and most people couldn't name their left tackle.

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Ferguson's not the best overall player in the draft IMO. He won't throw any TD passes, run for any TD scores, catch any TD passes, make any tackles, cause any fumbles, or intercept any passes.

I guess we have different draft philosophies. I wouldn't ever take an offensive lineman in the 1st round, unless I had more than one 1st rounder, or if I just won the Super Bowl and have no other weaknesses. Even if Willie Roaf retired, I would still take a defensive playmaker in the 1st round. I'd do what the Chiefs have done....draft guys like Black, Williams, Svitek, Parquet, and Sampson in the late rounds and then give them a couple years to develop.

New England won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years and most people couldn't name their left tackle.I'm looking at it from the TEXANS perspective, Their O-line is their weakness, they have a chance to get the consensus best LT in the draft or a player who will not start as a HB for very long behind their O-Line. They may choose to move Bush to WR, but it still won't buy Carr anymore time. I will definitely disagree with you, because I believe the LT(for right-handed QBs) is part of the FOUNDATION of every team.

Miles
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
There's alot of smoke in Houston about them wanting the hometown kid. ALOT of smoke.

It would get pretty ugly if they pass on Vince for anyone other than Bush. Can't imagine what would happen if they passed on both for an OT.