PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had sleeping problems?

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 03:59 AM
I got back to college over X-mas break January 11th. Every night sense then I have not been able to sleep. Every night I am up till 5 or 6 a.m. Just like tonight. I usually get up around 9 a.m. for class and on Tues/Thurs 7 a.m. Usually missing a class here and there. I usually end up falling a sleep for an hour or two during the day before I had to go to work. I would work hours like this 5-11, 5-10 or 5-12. Work doesn't make me tired and I usually have some sort of homework when I get home. Which keeps me up for a few extra hours and then I lie in bed for awhile trying to go to sleep. I'm not sure if I should try to avoid falling asleep during the day or what. I would like to be in bed by 12 or 1.

I just quit my job today so I could watch the Super Bowl and I'm hoping that will help on my sleeping problems. Like tonight I went to bed at one only to lie in bed for two hours trying to go to sleep only to be wide awake right now. Does anybody have problems like this and does anybody have any suggestions? I know its college and college involves a lack of sleep but this is getting bad. Thanks for suggestions...

Wile_E_Coyote
02-06-2006, 04:08 AM
shower to get warmed up & sleep in a cool to cold room helps me sometimes. The shower relaxes your muscles & the cool bed makes you want to curl/snuggle up for warmth

CoMoChief
02-06-2006, 04:09 AM
I feel ya man. But by around 6pm I get tired as shit then take a couple hour nap til 8-9pm. Then HW keeps me up past midnight and then I watch a movie or something and I dont get to bed until 3-4am. Tonite its gonna be even later.

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 04:11 AM
I feel ya man. But by around 6pm I get tired as shit then take a couple hour nap til 8-9pm. Then HW keeps me up past midnight and then I watch a movie or something and I dont get to bed until 3-4am. Tonite its gonna be even later.

Yeah I hear that..Tonight is going to suck. I'm looking at probably getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I was up until seven a.m Friday morning and had to get up at 830. It's more pissing me off than anything.

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 04:12 AM
shower to get warmed up & sleep in a cool to cold room helps me sometimes

I usually don't shower till morning and I sleep in a cool room now. Maybe I should try showering at night.

Taco John
02-06-2006, 04:14 AM
When I was in college, I had the same problem. I took Melatonin to solve it.

I'm not a doctor so this is all anectodal, but I'll tell you what worked for me:

I would take 3-15mg a half hour before I wanted to sleep. Typically, I'd be out like a light. Sometimes, it wouldn't work, but those were rare occasions. Most of the time, it was zzz's until morning.

I still take it on occasion.

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 04:26 AM
When I was in college, I had the same problem. I took Melatonin to solve it.

I'm not a doctor so this is all anectodal, but I'll tell you what worked for me:

I would take 3-15mg a half hour before I wanted to sleep. Typically, I'd be out like a light. Sometimes, it wouldn't work, but those were rare occasions. Most of the time, it was zzz's until morning.

I still take it on occasion.

Study bolsters melatonin sleep claims

October 12, 2000
Web posted at: 8:59 AM EDT (1259 GMT)

From staff and wire reports

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- A new study is lending credence to the popular claim that the hormonal supplement melatonin can help regulate sleep patterns.

Scientists at Oregon Health Sciences University tested the supplement on a small group of blind people. The blind often suffer from sleep disorders because they cannot perceive the daily cycles of light and dark that regulate the body's biological clock.

The researchers found that nearly all of the subjects developed normal sleep patterns after taking melatonin. When given a placebo, their sleep remained erratic. The results were reported in this week's New England Journal of Medicine.

Study participant Clifton Zang was among those who benefited from the melatonin.

"I was having a hard time staying awake during class time," he said. "I'd get up in the middle of the night and then I'd study."

When he took melatonin at around 8 p.m., though, Zang found he was able to get a good night's sleep.

"I got about six and a half hours of sleep and I felt good," he said. "I'm wide awake and ready to go."

The study authors say melatonin could also help people who aren't blind regulate their sleep.

More than 20 million Americans already use it for that purpose, hoping to treat insomnia or jet lag, or lessen the effects of shift work. The supplement is readily available over the counter at health food stores.

But the study authors caution that knowing how much melatonin to take and when to take it are critical to reaping its benefits.

"The concern I have," said researcher Dr. Al Lewy, "is that people have been taking melatonin at the wrong time at the wrong dose for the wrong reasons."

Experts say the best time of day to take melatonin and how much to take depends on the specific sleep disorder. Taking too much at the wrong time could worsen sleep problems instead of helping them.

In the study, patients started out on high doses, then switched to a low maintenance dose once their body clocks had adjusted.

Doctors have long known that melatonin is involved in regulating the body clock. It is a naturally occurring hormone whose levels rise at night and fall during the day.

However, "the hype and claims of the so-called miraculous powers of melatonin several years ago did a great disservice to a scientific field of real importance," Josephine Arendt of the University of Surrey wrote in an editorial accompanying the NEJM study.

This new research, she said, shows "the true potential of melatonin" and how important timing is to treatment.

"Our 24-hour society, with its chaotic time cures and lack of natural light, may yet reap substantial benefits, " she said.

I'm interested in this. Seems theres nothing in them that can do damage to me unless I use it the wrong way.

David.
02-06-2006, 06:11 AM
today i had a sleeping problem.

happens when you decide to put a paper off until the day before it's due.

all nighters = :(

Pants
02-06-2006, 07:04 AM
today i had a sleeping problem.

happens when you decide to put a paper off until the day before it's due.

all nighters = :(

Shit, it's gotten so bad lately, I don't even know how to fight that shit. It's not a problem with sleeping, it's a problem with going to bed...

badgirl
02-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I have always had trouble sleeping, I don't care how early I get up in the morning, i can't sleep at night. Night time has always been my time for myself, after everyone is asleep, its time for me to read or do whatever.

JBucc
02-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I have trouble staying awake more often than sleeping

Saulbadguy
02-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Melatonin..eh?

I have a hard time "turning my mind off". I'll toss and turn for hours until I can actually fall asleep.

sedated
02-06-2006, 08:45 AM
:bong:

take as many bong-hits as you can until you pass out.

that's my nightly routine, and I sleep like a baby

crispystl420
02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Drink wine or beer before you go to sleep man.

crispystl420
02-06-2006, 08:49 AM
:bong:

take as many bong-hits as you can until you pass out.

that's my nightly routine, and I sleep like a baby
Me too and a few budweisers sleep like a baby.

Luzap
02-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't know how serious you are about a solution, but a natural product called Vital Stress-X has me sleeping better than I ever have.

Go to: http://www.healthywize.com/_templates/cyberwize-frameset-vol2.asp

Luz
i've recomemded this product to hundreds of people with great results...

Frankie
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Has anyone ever had sleeping problems?...
I've had a little problem sleeping with Angelina Jolie. Happy to say the problem is 50% solved. Now if only she also would agree to it ....

Dunit35
02-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Well it looks like I am going to have to pick up something for my sleeping problems. I ended up not even going to sleep Monday night? But I did fall asleep at noon and slept till 8. Well tonight I was so tired, I mean extremely tired and I fell asleep at 2, but for some reason i woke up at 3 and now I can't sleep. This is getting annoying.

Miles
02-08-2006, 04:18 AM
I have the same problem pretty often. Especially when Iím under a lot of stress. Going for a run or some other kind of exercise really seems to help.

Inspector
02-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Several years ago I worked nights. I started using melatonin with excellent results, although sleeping during the day and staying up all night has other concerns for your health.

Try to maintain a consistent bedtime.
Try to time your bedtime so that you are getting up at a time that would be in a 90 minute increment. For example, I feel more rested if I wake up naturally at the "top" of a naturally occurrring cycle, which (I think) runs about ninety minutes.

Sleep 6 hours = feel better than sleeping 6 1/2 hours (for me anyway)

If possible try to get used to getting up at the top of a sleep cycle without an alarm. Sounds hard, but once you get into the cycle and have consistency in your sleep times, it's not too hard. Getting jolted awake out of REM sleep will mess up your entire day and make you feel sleepier.

Do not use any drugs to "knock you out". I'm not knocking anyone's drug choices, but drugs, whether it be alcohol or some kind of downer will inhibit REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. REM sleep is where you dream and your body reconstructs it's cells or something. Without that happening, you are not getting the benefit of sleep.

Have an exercise routine early in your day. It will help give you energy throughout the day and hopefully help make you more tired and sleep better at night.

Avoid any stimulants - coffee, chocolate, etc. during the last half of the day.

These are what work for me. I'm no doctor so you would probably be well adviced to follow your doctors directions, but I use these methods / philosophies and I sleep well. I'm usually sound asleep within 30 - 60 seconds of putting my head on the pillow and feel pretty refreshed after around 6 hours of sleep.

But, that's just me.

Good luck.

(Man, didn't mean to ramble that much...)