PDA

View Full Version : So when do the free agents start?

melbar
02-06-2006, 09:03 AM
The season is over , when does the parade start and who will be visiting us?

jspchief
02-06-2006, 09:06 AM
March. I believe it's either the 1st or the 3rd.

You'll know when it's coming because Kendrell Bell will be cut the day before.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-06-2006, 09:06 AM
1st week of March, players on their last legs or need a change of scenery on the cheap

Phobia
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
March 2nd.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
1st Monday after the 1st of March I believe.

melbar
02-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Do the Eagles wait till then , or does this thing with T.O. get dragged out till then?

jspchief
02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Do the Eagles wait till then , or does this thing with T.O. get dragged out till then?If the eagles want to trade him, they'll likely do it before FA starts. Owens is due a very large bonus when FA starts, and Philly won't want to pay it.

Philly will try and get some compensation via trade up until the start of free agency. If they can't get a trade worked out, they will release Owens to FA rather than pay that bonus.

phxchief
02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
The season was over weeks ago.

Frankie
02-06-2006, 09:57 AM
So when do the free agents start?

When their contracts run out.

Next question.

melbar
02-06-2006, 10:02 AM
T.O. wouldnt be held to the March 1st deadline if he was released before that correct? Its just that most NFL contracts end on the 1st.

jspchief
02-06-2006, 10:21 AM
T.O. wouldnt be held to the March 1st deadline if he was released before that correct? Its just that most NFL contracts end on the 1st.A. There's no reason for Philly to release him before that. Why wouldn't they attempt to work a trade all the way down to the last minute?

B. Even if the Eagles did inexplicably release him prior to the start of FA, other teams cannot pursue him until the FA period begins.

C. KC isn't going to get him regardless of when he becomes available, so let it go.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
A. There's no reason for Philly to release him before that. Why wouldn't they attempt to work a trade all the way down to the last minute?

B. Even if the Eagles did inexplicably release him prior to the start of FA, other teams cannot pursue him until the FA period begins.

C. KC isn't going to get him regardless of when he becomes available, so let it go.

A. Exactly.

B. Exactly.

C. Exactly.

TEX
02-06-2006, 10:31 AM
The season is over , when does the parade start and who will be visiting us?

HA! Peterson has already said that for the dreaded (and non believable) cap reasons, the Chiefs will NOT be as active as they were last year. Typical.

I sure hope a LB emerges so we can experience the effects of addition by subtraction by cutting Bell, last year's big FA "prize."

sedated
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
So, what old, overpriced big-name will the fans cry for this year?

Hugh Douglas?
Ty Law?

Phobia
02-06-2006, 10:33 AM
No, if the Eagles released him tomorrow then he could be signed before free agency begins. Free Agency is the end of a contract period and the start of a new. If you are not under contract to a team, you can be signed at any time. If for some reason the Eagles wanted me to play for them they wouldn't have to wait until March 2nd. Same thing for TO (if he's released prior to March 2).

jspchief
02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
No, if the Eagles released him tomorrow then he could be signed before free agency begins. Free Agency is the end of a contract period and the start of a new. If you are not under contract to a team, you can be signed at any time. If for some reason the Eagles wanted me to play for them they wouldn't have to wait until March 2nd. Same thing for TO (if he's released prior to March 2).I'll defer to your "insider" knowledge, but why would the league set it up in this manner? Why would a player sit for 3 months on a team that he knew he wasn't under contract with?

Phobia
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
He IS under contract with the Eagles but if he were released he wouldn't be. One does not need insider information to understand this.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
HA! Peterson has already said that for the dreaded (and non believable) cap reasons, the Chiefs will NOT be as active as they were last year. Typical.

I sure hope a LB emerges so we can experience the effects of addition by subtraction by cutting Bell, last year's big FA "prize."

The "every other year" phenomenon is NOT unique to the Chiefs, whether you want to believe it or not. It's the reality of the salary cap-era NFL. The only teams that are active EVERY year either do so by skirting the cap with bonuses and cash (Washington, Dallas) or by outright cheating the cap (Denver).

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess I won't be as excited this year about FA then I was last year. Last year I couldn't wait to get off work during March to see if we landed anybody. Checking the internet every five minutes.

mcan
02-06-2006, 08:52 PM
In reality the free agency period usually begins at the ProBowl, when about 80% of the NFL goes to Hawii and hobnobs with each other. Coaches and front office people get walked up to by some player saying, your team sure could use a defensive tackle... Sometimes they stop short of "tampering." Other times they don't...

Mecca
02-06-2006, 08:57 PM
It will be fun to watch us not sign anyone........All I can ask for is for it to not be like the 2004 signing period. Resigning Hicks, Wesley, Woods, Browning, that offseason set us back atleast 3 years.

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 09:05 PM
It will be fun to watch us not sign anyone........All I can ask for is for it to not be like the 2004 signing period. Resigning Hicks, Wesley, Woods, Browning, that offseason set us back atleast 3 years.

The offseason that really set us back was when CP decided to join this team back in 89'.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
The offseason that really set us back was when CP decided to join this team back in 89'.

Of course we were actually worse before he got here.........the 80's wasn't a good time to be a Chiefs fan.

Dunit35
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Of course we were actually worse before he got here.........the 80's wasn't a good time to be a Chiefs fan.

That's true. But still no championship.

wolfpack0735
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
i wonder how much problems teams will have signing players because they yet to agree on a contract extension. wont `07 be a uncapped year without an extension?

chagrin
02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
What about that "rumor" of Hermie trying to trade for DE John Abraham? If it has any merit at all, who would he trade over to the JETS?

Anybody know of this? Opinions?

Frankie
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
You are correct sir. We should have stayed with Jack Steadman.

banyon
02-06-2006, 10:26 PM
So, what old, overpriced big-name will the fans cry for this year?

Hugh Douglas?
Ty Law?
Hate to give credit to Fatlock, but Ty Law was about the only player who played well for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets last year.

NJ Chief Fan
02-06-2006, 10:27 PM
when the hell do we release bell

Stinger
02-06-2006, 10:36 PM
, when does the parade start ?

Hartwell says in 48 hours