PDA

View Full Version : My email to Dr. Z (DT #58)

DJJasonp
02-06-2006, 06:07 PM
I sent a similar email last year....I hope I dont have to send one for much longer........this is ridiculous. (harry carson? Warren Moon?)

If Michael Irvin gets in before DT, someone's paying with their life.
(by the way....Dr Z and fatso Peter King are both on the selection committee....King is the same jackass who didnt put us in his season-ending top 15....teams like San Diego and Miami ahead of us...and Tampa Bay)

Dr. Z,

This is the 2nd year in a row I've had to email you about Derrick Thomas. (hopefully it wont be 3,4, or more years after next year)

I know you mentioned (in your opinion) Thomas was a "one trick pony". I think you have to take a deeper look into this. One, DT was primarily used as a pass rusher and wasn't asked to support the run as the two other HOFers that I will use as comparison. When you look at the numbers, and especially the way other teams had to gameplan for Thomas, it doesnt make much sense to call him a "one trick pony" or keep him from the HOF.

Comparing against the two other modern-era sack artists (both 1st ballot HOFers), you'll see DT has statistics close to or exceeding those of Bruce Smith and Reggie White. (please keep in mind, due to his untimely death, DT did not amass as many games as the other two)

Tackles per season:
White - 74
Smith - 64
Thomas - 58
(Thomas not far behind smith - and as I said, he wasnt asked to run support as much as the other two)

Sacks per season:
White - 13.2
Thomas - 11.5
Smith - 10.5
(Thomas actually had more sacks in the 90's than either Smith or White...or any other player for that matter)
Forced fumbles per season:
Thomas - 3.6
Smith - 2.4
White - 2.2
(another great example of a game-breaker player who the opposing team always had to prepare and know where he was on the field at all times)

In addition to these stats, DT was a great man who spent a huge amount of his earnings on helping friends, families, and sick and needy children in the community. He never came out with questionable sound bytes (a la the "minister of defense") nor did he stick around an extra 3 or 4 years past his prime just so he could beat White's sack total.

Please dont forget what a force on the football field #58 was - certainly deserving of the HOF!
Thanks,

Jason

Bowser
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Well said.

58-4ever
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Dr. Z is a ****ing idiot anyway and Sports Illustrated sucks.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Great post.

Everybody with half a brain knows that DT changed the way opposing coaches planned for games.

The HoF has sadly become a shrine for people who compile. They care little about truly dominant players anymore.

Ari Chi3fs
02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Warren Moon DESERVES to be in the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame... if it was the NFL hall of fame, perhaps not so quickly...

But over 25,000 yards in Canadian Football
And over 40,000 yards in NFL

65,000 yards... plus, isnt he the FIRST black QB to make the Hall? He deserved it... to say otherwise, means that you are severely uninformed.

htismaqe
02-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Warren Moon DESERVES to be in the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame... if it was the NFL hall of fame, perhaps not so quickly...

65,000 yards... plus, isnt he the FIRST black QB to make the Hall? He deserved it... to say otherwise, means that you are severely uninformed.

Warren Moon deserves to be in, not because of all of the gaudy yards.

He deserves to be in because in his years in Canada, plus a few years in Houston, he was one of, if not THE, most feared QB in professional football.

KCWolfman
02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Using the one-trick pony analogy, Pistol Pete Maravich should not been in the basketball HOF as he wasn't effective on defense.

Jan Stenerud should be kicked out of the NFL HOF. How much more of a one trick pony can you be if you only kick the ball?

All the HOF are full of one trick ponies. If they weren't, we certainly wouldn't have hundreds of the players in them today.

KCWolfman
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Moon deserves entry.

But Fritz Pollard was the first black QB to be inducted.

Mecca
02-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Dr Z has been trying to get Harry Carson in for about 15 years.........it's all about New York.

Mile High Mania
02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I liked watching Moon play... he was really good.

Phobia
02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
I liked watching Moon play... he was really good.

Yeah, so did San Diego.

Halfcan
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Harry Carson was a descent above average player but was nowhere close to DT. Leaving DT is about as shameful as leaving Rush out of the R&RHOF.

Ari Chi3fs
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
The only RUSH that doesnt SUCK, is Brandon Rush.

greg63
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
It is without a doubt a travesty to continue to keep DT out of the HOF. :shake:

DJJasonp
02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I'll give you that Moon was feared, possibly in the same way offenses feared DT.....

I guess I was just making a point that if he is in, DT should be in.

The same way that I dont think Irvin should be in before DT. I think DT was more of a dominant player than Irvin was.

Another note....The NY Giants' website makes a big deal of the fact that Harry Carson has the franchise record for most fumble recoveries....at 14.

DT had 19 in only 11 seasons....