PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren finally makes "the comment"...

4th and Long
02-07-2006, 05:59 AM
"We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers," Holmgren told the fans at Qwest Field. "I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well."
Ouchies. Any bets on how much that's going to cost him?

And then we have the anonymous comment (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=2320683&sport=headlines&ft=ss) too.
"You know, that's what happens when the world is against you," one Seahawk said after the 21-10 loss at Ford/Heinz Field. "No one wanted us to win. They wanted Jerome Bettis to win and go out a hero, and they got it."
At least Mr. Anonymous won't get fined ... so long a he remains anonymous.

Dunit35
02-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Both of them hit it right on the money. Holmgren will get fined but shouldn't get fined. The refs should be the ones getting fined..along with whoever else was involved in this scam.

Lzen
02-07-2006, 06:23 AM
It had to be said. That was an embarrassment for the NFL.

Bob Dole
02-07-2006, 06:29 AM
How is it going to look if the NFL fines Holmgren after choosing not to fine Porter for his comments after the Indy game?

Are the hardcore conspiracists going to hemorrhage?

ChiefsfaninPA
02-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Bunch of whiners. They had so many attempts to win the game but blew them. How many passes did they drop, field goals did they miss. The refs sucked, but what is new. I guess that is how they are consoling themselves, by blaming others. They sucked all year, playing weak teams.

Dunit35
02-07-2006, 06:43 AM
They are in the NFC...

Tuckdaddy
02-07-2006, 06:50 AM
He will be opening his wallet for that one.

chefsos
02-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Yeah, but..but.. the NFL's Greg Aiello sez, "All is well".

"It was a very well-officiated playoffs, including the Super Bowl," he said.

:hmmm: .....

Where's that pic of the Iraqi defense minister holding up his hands when you need it? Or maybe Kevin Bacon from Animal House?

Here's a link, but nothing else in the story is news:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020602041.html?nav=hcmodule

greg63
02-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Bunch of whiners. They had so many attempts to win the game but blew them. How many passes did they drop, field goals did they miss. The refs sucked, but what is new. I guess that is how they are consoling themselves, by blaming others. They sucked all year, playing weak teams.

...Both very true statements.

ChiefsFan4Life
02-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I wish the Seahawks and their fans would shut the **** up

The Steelers had the worst officiating against them on the road in Indianapolis and THEY STILL WON.

The good teams find a way to win and overcome obstacles. The shitty teams lose and cry about it.

Kerberos
02-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I guess that is how they are consoling themselves, by blaming others. They sucked all year, playing weak teams.

:thumb:

Amen brotha.

How many times did shitty penalties ALMOST cost the Chiefs a game or DID cost them a game?

I said this before that had the Chiefs had the Seahawks WEAK ASS schedule we might have been 12-4 or better. (cards X 2, 49ers X 2, Rams X 2 and a few pushovers like Houston, Tenn and GreenBay. They played a few good teams and won. Home feild is a wonderful thing for those.

Since Seattle has a much better defense they did better in the playoffs than we could EVER have dreamed.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-07-2006, 07:34 AM
well some say the refs gave the Chiefs the Oakland game. But the Giants game, you gotta wonder if the D felt like it was a loosing battle edit:the D was so worried about getting flagged they seemed to half ass it

bkkcoh
02-07-2006, 08:06 AM

It is easier to point the fingers at someone else than it is to say they f'd up. :banghead:

Saulbadguy
02-07-2006, 08:08 AM
It's demoralizing when you can't do anything about it for the entire game.

KCTitus
02-07-2006, 08:23 AM
well some say the refs gave the Chiefs the Oakland game. But the Giants game, you gotta wonder if the D felt like it was a loosing battle...

edit:the D was so worried about getting flagged they seemed to half ass it

In that Giants game, the defense did seem a bit shell shocked after the hair trigger personal fouls were called.

I do think the way a game is called can have an impact on the teams.

There was another game, a few years ago, against San Diego at SD and KC got called for holding 13 or 15 times, 11 of which were accepted. Every time KC got a first down or had a good play, it came back for holding. Oddly, SD didnt get many if any holding calls.

This may have been the same game where TRich ran a 1yd TD run and spiked the ball on 3rd and goal. The refs called the spike a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct, and it was after the play so they let the down count--while taking away the TD--setting up 4th and goal at the 16 yard line. This particular call was what I would call the most egregious call Ive ever witnessed next to the 72 Olympics gold medal BB game.

Extra Point
02-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Just out of curiousity, see any Seahawks holding the Lombardi trophy during the commercial breaks?

Rooted for the Steelers, figuring that the Seahawks would win. Holmer was right; I think that the comment goes for the season, for most the teams putting up with delays of games due to poor officiating.

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 08:31 AM
All of this "Seattle should just STFU" talk is bullshit.

Yes, they could have played better. No, it doesn't make it right that the officiating was HORRIBLE, both in the Super Bowl and throughout the rest of the playoffs.

Mr. Kotter
02-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Take yourself back to the end of the 2003 season.....after the game, Vermeil made less direct though similar comments about the zebras. Anyone remember what happened during the 2004 season?

The refs seemed intent on calling every marginal call, in favor of the Chief's opponents....we went from offsides and holding calls which had been below the league average, to suddenly among the league leaders--with the same personnel. And critical penalties often came at crucial times. I don't think it's a coincidence....

Sorry, Joe Seahawk.....but Holmgren just screwed you for next year, dude. I'm calling it right now: the Seahawks will not make the playoffs next year. :shake:

morphius
02-07-2006, 08:33 AM

Amen brotha.

How many times did shitty penalties ALMOST cost the Chiefs a game or DID cost them a game?

I said this before that had the Chiefs had the Seahawks WEAK ASS schedule we might have been 12-4 or better. (cards X 2, 49ers X 2, Rams X 2 and a few pushovers like Houston, Tenn and GreenBay. They played a few good teams and won. Home feild is a wonderful thing for those.

Since Seattle has a much better defense they did better in the playoffs than we could EVER have dreamed.
Well, and how many teams get to face a teams number a completely decimated, due to injuries, team in the confrence championship game?

The way that Hasselbeck was passing the WR's were catching I'm not sure why Holmgren didn't also blame the football's.

wutamess
02-07-2006, 08:37 AM

True statement. But are you aware that they got basically 2 TD's called back on fluke calls. Sure they dropped balls and missed FG's. But it could've easily been overcome by the 2 TD's that got called back over somewhat bogus penalties.

The OPI call I was ok with. But the penalty they called holding on when they got the ball down to the 2 YL was totally bogus. However you want to look at it. Thye did hurt themselves somewhat, but isn't it odd that they didn't get ANY HELP nor NEAR AS MUCH as the other team did?

KCJake
02-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Right on :clap:

redhed
02-07-2006, 08:48 AM
The easiest way to fix a game is to control the reffin'. The second easiest way is to put the kicker in your pocket.
But the zebras made up for it when they didn't call Hasselbeck's non-fumble a fumble. :rolleyes:

HMc
02-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I think this "good teams overcome the bad calls" thing is crap, when it comes to games like this. When you're up against the best team in the comp, are <b>not</b> outplayed by that team (if anything, seattle had a better game IMHO), lose by 11, and have 3 or 4 MASSIVE calls go against you, then you have a right to be upset.

Those 3 consecutive plays where the hawks were screwed on each one (offsides on the sack, the collar and hasselbeck "block") cost seattle the game. Yes, they buggered it up elsewhere, but the steelers didn't have a good game either. They played to similar standards (as i said i was more impressed with seattle), but seattle was screwed.

Just out of interest, for those who think all this is "whining" and that they should have overcome it all, just how bad would it need to be before you accept that the team is significantly disadvantaged. Like, if it wasn't bad enough to complain about on sunday, when is it bad enough?

Chief Henry
02-07-2006, 08:57 AM

Amen brotha.

THe chiefs should have been 12-4 at least. But I tell you what.
If the KC Chiefs would have been beaten in the Superbowl with those kind of shitty calls going against them YOU know that all of us would have been blowing a fuse or two. I'm glad Holmgren said something.
Several of those calls were horse shit calls, But Seattle did have there
chances.

Joe Seahawk
02-07-2006, 08:58 AM
The Seahawks just didn't play well enough to overcome some highly questionable officiating.

The Steelers were so beatable, if we play them 5 times we probably win 4 of them.

It's extremely dissapointing to make so many mistakes when you have a Championship right there for the taking. Damn!

We could have overcome the officiating, but it was horrible and THAT is the issue that needs to be adressed.

Brock
02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
The Seahawks just didn't play well enough to overcome some highly questionable officiating.

The Steelers were so beatable, if we play them 5 times we probably win 4 of them.

It's extremely dissapointing to make so many mistakes when you have a Championship right there for the taking. Damn!

We could have overcome the officiating, but it was horrible and THAT is the issue that needs to be adressed.

I didn't understand what Holmgren was trying to do with the playcalling. Other than that, I think the hawks would have won on a level field.

Mr. Kotter
02-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Take yourself back to the end of the 2003 season.....after the game, Vermeil made less direct though similar comments about the zebras. Anyone remember what happened during the 2004 season?

The refs seemed intent on calling every marginal call, in favor of the Chief's opponents....we went from offsides and holding calls which had been below the league average, to suddenly among the league leaders--with the same personnel. And critical penalties often came at crucial times. I don't think it's a coincidence....

Sorry, Joe Seahawk.....but Holmgren just screwed you for next year, dude. I'm calling it right now: the Seahawks will not make the playoffs next year. :shake:

Joe, did you see my prediction.....sorry, dude.

|Zach|
02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
The Seahawks could have overcome balls calls if they would have looked like they knew how to play football at the end of each half.

Bowser
02-07-2006, 09:14 AM
The Seahawks could have overcome balls calls if they would have looked like they knew how to play football at the end of each half.

Indeed. That was an embarassing display of a two minute offense.

Cochise
02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
The public is reacting because we've never really seen blatant favoritism before from the NFL. They need to do something before they end up with a huge officials' credibility problem like exists in the NBA.

DJJasonp
02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
In that Giants game, the defense did seem a bit shell shocked after the hair trigger personal fouls were called.

I do think the way a game is called can have an impact on the teams.

There was another game, a few years ago, against San Diego at SD and KC got called for holding 13 or 15 times, 11 of which were accepted. Every time KC got a first down or had a good play, it came back for holding. Oddly, SD didnt get many if any holding calls.

This may have been the same game where TRich ran a 1yd TD run and spiked the ball on 3rd and goal. The refs called the spike a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct, and it was after the play so they let the down count--while taking away the TD--setting up 4th and goal at the 16 yard line. This particular call was what I would call the most egregious call Ive ever witnessed next to the 72 Olympics gold medal BB game.

Yep....I was there....The "spike" call. What a bunch of horses**t that was. How many times have you seen players spike the ball after a long run or catch for a first down??? Sometimes I think those kind of games are called a certain way to make sure the network doesnt lose any viewers due to a blowout (and therefore the corporate sponsors are happy that everyone is seeing their commercials).

A friend of mine was preaching the other day how he sums it up to human nature....the refs, hanging out in the hometown for the weekend, get buttered up by the hometown fans.....human nature to want to not be hated.....better calls for the home team. (Pittsburgh, for all intents and purposes was the home team)

jspchief
02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I understand the "good teams overcome bad calls" reasoning, but personally, I don't think any team should have to overcome bad calls.

How many people would have been saying Pittsburgh didn't play well enough to win if Indy would have pulled that game out?

HMc
02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Joe, did you see my prediction.....sorry, dude.

They've got the AFC West and the NFC North. Even if they came away from the AFC West with only one win, they've still got a bunch of other backyarders to get their wins against. Detroit, the NFC West, Green Bay.

philfree
02-07-2006, 09:26 AM
The officials had an impact on the game with their terrible calls and that's too bad. As much as Bettis got to go out the hero this win should have a big * by it. Or at least it will have one by it in my thoughts. I had no stake in the game no bet and no fvorite but as the game went and I watched the Hawks getting jobbed I couldn't help but pull for them to find a way to win.

PhilFree:arrow:

CosmicPal
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
The public is reacting because we've never really seen blatant favoritism before from the NFL. They need to do something before they end up with a huge officials' credibility problem like exists in the NBA.

Which is true- I remember in the first half of the game they were showing "commercials" of Ben with his hand around the Super Bowl trophey, and then later they showed another one with Cower smiling behind the Super Bowl Trophey.

We all looked at each other after that and shook our heads in disbelief. Everything about the this game was about the Steelers. It was like the Seahawks had no business showing up at all.

greg63
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I understand the "good teams overcome bad calls" reasoning, but personally, I don't think any team should have to overcome bad calls.

How many people would have been saying Pittsburgh didn't play well enough to win if Indy would have pulled that game out?

Good point.

Chiefnj
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Football needs to take a lesson from hockey.

1. The Super Bowl trophy should not be handled by a player and/or coach who has yet to win it. In hockey you can't touch Lord Stanley until you've earned the right to touch it. Don't even point at it or look at it until you've won the game.

2. It was a boring Super Bowl. The officiating was ticky-tacky, but almost as bad as the horrid calls was the fact that the officiating broke up any and all rhythm that the game had. It's one thing to have an iffy call, it is just 100 times worse when it breaks momentum and makes you nod off. In hockey, in the third period you let the guys play. You ignore non-blatant penalties. You don't let BS calls get in the way of the game.

savedin79
02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Pushing off is a penalty, so is holding. It dosent "not" count because you score or make a good play on it. SOUR GRAPES!

irishjayhawk
02-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Which is true- I remember in the first half of the game they were showing "commercials" of Ben with his hand around the Super Bowl trophey, and then later they showed another one with Cower smiling behind the Super Bowl Trophey.

We all looked at each other after that and shook our heads in disbelief. Everything about the this game was about the Steelers. It was like the Seahawks had no business showing up at all.
Now that you mention it, did ANY seahawks get televised next to the trophy?

jspchief
02-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Football needs to take a lesson from hockey.

1. The Super Bowl trophy should not be handled by a player and/or coach who has yet to win it. In hockey you can't touch Lord Stanley until you've earned the right to touch it. Don't even point at it or look at it until you've won the game.
Of course, once you do win it, you're free to jack off into it. But that's another issue all together.

bkkcoh
02-07-2006, 09:48 AM

iirc, both the hassleback and alexander where shown with it.

jynni
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah - I saw Hasselbeck in there a few times.

phxchief
02-07-2006, 09:57 AM
I wish the Seahawks and their fans would shut the **** up

The Steelers had the worst officiating against them on the road in Indianapolis and THEY STILL WON.

The good teams find a way to win and overcome obstacles. The shitty teams lose and cry about it.

A-f*cking-men.

I never give rep, but you can have some for that.

phxchief
02-07-2006, 09:59 AM

ROFL

The Steelers with Big Ben showing up would crush the Seahawks. You'd be lucky to win one.

Seattle made mistakes, but their game wasn't that bad -- the defense was stout, Hass was accurate and Alexander averaged a healthy YPC. Seattle's A-game is the Superbowl minus the mistakes. Pittsburgh's A-game is the Superbowl defense + an actual offense.

Calcountry
02-07-2006, 10:00 AM
To understand why the NFL seemingly doesn't get it, one has to put themselves in the shoes of the officials. They are USE to getting bitched at. In fact, they get criticised, critiqued, and complained against in almost EVERY game. They have TV cameras overturning or rendering moot, their necessity on some plays. So they probably have pretty thick skin, and are reacting to this deal like, "what else is new?"

Lzen
02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Pushing off is a penalty, so is holding. It dosent "not" count because you score or make a good play on it. SOUR GRAPES!

I think you're missing the point. It is fine if you're going to call those. However, those 2 penalties were pretty ticky tack. The pushofff was not much of a pushoff and the holding was not holding at all. Heh, if they're gonna call that holding then they might as well call holding on every single play. In any case, however tight the refs decide to call the game, it needs to be called the same for both teams. It really, really did not appear that was the case.

The only call that I can remember that went in Seattle's favor was the Stevens catch, 2 steps, turn around, 1 more step, and then fumble. Of course, Seattle punted and Pitt got the ball just about where they probably would've had it if that had been a call.

The 2 calls that went against Seattle were most likely 14 points taken off the board. Or, at the very least, 7 or 10 points. Personally, I think that holding call negated what would've been a TD by Seattle. I mean, the top rusher in the league at the 2 yard line behind one of the best offensive lines in the league probably would've scored a TD.

Yeah, it's easy to say "sour grapes" when it's your team that benefitted from the poor officiating. As for me, I was pulling for Seattle just because they've never won a title. But it really didn't matter to me if Pitt won. I was just disgusted at the way they were allowed to win.

ChiefsFan4Life
02-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Looks like holding to me...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/filmguy1974/IMG_0220.jpg

beer bacon
02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I think you're missing the point. It is fine if you're going to call those. However, those 2 penalties were pretty ticky tack. The pushofff was not much of a pushoff and the holding was not holding at all. Heh, if they're gonna call that holding then they might as well call holding on every single play. In any case, however tight the refs decide to call the game, it needs to be called the same for both teams. It really, really did not appear that was the case.

The only call that I can remember that went in Seattle's favor was the Stevens catch, 2 steps, turn around, 1 more step, and then fumble. Of course, Seattle punted and Pitt got the ball just about where they probably would've had it if that had been a call.

The 2 calls that went against Seattle were most likely 14 points taken off the board. Or, at the very least, 7 or 10 points. Personally, I think that holding call negated what would've been a TD by Seattle. I mean, the top rusher in the league at the 2 yard line behind one of the best offensive lines in the league probably would've scored a TD.

Yeah, it's easy to say "sour grapes" when it's your team that benefitted from the poor officiating. As for me, I was pulling for Seattle just because they've never won a title. But it really didn't matter to me if Pitt won. I was just disgusted at the way they were allowed to win.

I disagree about the pushoff being ticky tack. The WR got a ton of seperation because of the pushoff. It was basically why he was able to make a clean catch for the TD.

beer bacon
02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks like holding to me...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/filmguy1974/IMG_0220.jpg

The OLB being held in that picture was offsides on that play and the next play too.

ChiefsFan4Life
02-07-2006, 10:54 AM
The OLB being held in that picture was offsides on that play and the next play too.

He was not offsides, he anticipated the snap count.

If he was offsides then Derrick Thomas was offsides 90% of his career

Wile_E_Coyote
02-07-2006, 10:55 AM
http://leeneitzel.com/image_files/NoTD/BadCall.jpg

ChiefsFan4Life
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
http://leeneitzel.com/image_files/NoTD/BadCall.jpg

I'm not sure who you're meaning to support here but that picture just confirms to me that it was indeed the correct call.

Thanks.

jspchief
02-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure who you're meaning to support here but that picture just confirms to me that it was indeed the correct call.

Thanks.Yea, it also confirms that Hope was guilty of illegal contact at the goal line, which would have been an automatic first down.

Brock
02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Yea, it also confirms that Hope was guilty of illegal contact at the goal line, which would have been an automatic first down.

Man, no kidding. That should have been called.

Logical
02-07-2006, 11:31 AM
well some say the refs gave the Chiefs the Oakland game. But the Giants game, you gotta wonder if the D felt like it was a loosing battle edit:the D was so worried about getting flagged they seemed to half ass it

Yes the refs stopping our defenders from tackling Tiki really, really sucked.

58-4ever
02-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Your and idiot

Wile_E_Coyote
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes the refs stopping our defenders from tackling Tiki really, really sucked.

that they did fine on their own

Cochise
02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Vote on it:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2011

49.8% of voters give the referees a grade of "F"
25.3% give a "D"

78.8% say it unfairly favored the Steelers

56.7% say the most important factor in the outcome was officials missing calls.

Right call on Jackson offensive pass interference? 73.4% - No

Did ball break the plane on Roethlisberger TD? 59.1% No, only 26% yes

Locklear holding penalty the right call? 73.9% say no

jspchief
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Man, no kidding. That should have been called.

IMO, there are 3 basic ways the calls could have gone on that play.

1. Call it tight: Illegale contact and offsetting PI calls, replay down.
2. Let 'em play: Recognize the contact from both players as largely incidental (which it was) and the TD stands.
3. Somewhere in the middle: Recognize that both players were making contact in the end zone, but that Hope also made contact at the goaline.

I just don't see any way you can justify letting Hope get away with illegal contact both at the goal line, and in the end zone, but then call Jackson's push off. Basically, the ref called it tight on DJ and loose on CH. Poor officiating.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I think while Ben was airbound the tip of the ball crossed the goalline. not enough to argue over though

Simplex3
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Where's that pic of the Iraqi defense minister holding up his hands when you need it?

Simplex3
02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
All of this "Seattle should just STFU" talk is bullshit.

Yes, they could have played better. No, it doesn't make it right that the officiating was HORRIBLE, both in the Super Bowl and throughout the rest of the playoffs.
If the fans and the teams want something done about the officiating next year and into the future we all need to stop harping on the one game and point out their failures throughout the playoffs, using the SB as our closing argument.

The worst part about the playoff suckage is that it's supposed to be the best officials. Man, if those guys are your best...

jcl-kcfan2
02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
All I can ask is....

"Phantom holding call", why is that sooo stinging of a phrase?

;)

Ari Chi3fs
02-07-2006, 12:08 PM
STEEL MEN CAME!

[/CrimeFighter]

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 12:34 PM
If the fans and the teams want something done about the officiating next year and into the future we all need to stop harping on the one game and point out their failures throughout the playoffs, using the SB as our closing argument.

The worst part about the playoff suckage is that it's supposed to be the best officials. Man, if those guys are your best...

I'm not suggesting we forget about the playoffs (or even the regular season, which was also terribly officiated).

I'm saying that the Super Bowl is the Ace, the coup de grace, in the argument.

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Vote on it:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2011

49.8% of voters give the referees a grade of "F"
25.3% give a "D"

78.8% say it unfairly favored the Steelers

56.7% say the most important factor in the outcome was officials missing calls.

Right call on Jackson offensive pass interference? 73.4% - No

Did ball break the plane on Roethlisberger TD? 59.1% No, only 26% yes

Locklear holding penalty the right call? 73.9% say no

That pretty much says it all.

You can go on about sour grapes all you want. THREE-FOURTHS of the common people think this game was a sham because of the officiating.

KCTitus
02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
STEEL MEN CAME!

[/CrimeFighter]

Oh Lord. That douche was unsufferable when they were on the verge of that 4-12 season or whatever it was in 2003, I can only imagine that idiot today.

58-4ever
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I am no officiating expert, but I can name at least two referees that consistently get it right more than Bill Levy.

bkkcoh
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I am no officiating expert, but I can name at least two referees that consistently get it right more than Bill Levy.

Don't stretch you ablilities too far..... :p :hmmm: :drool:

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Nope, this is 100% on the refs; the play of the team should not be considered.

StcChief
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
The M.O. on SeaHags is the still the same.

When they have to make a play in a big game they choke. Been going on their entire playoff history.
Dropped passes/missed FGs. or critical fumbles/INTs

Stop whinning, good teams find a way to win.

jspchief
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm not suggesting we forget about the playoffs (or even the regular season, which was also terribly officiated).

I'm saying that the Super Bowl is the Ace, the coup de grace, in the argument.The problem with bitching about officiating during the regualr season, and the play-offs to a lesser extent is that the bitching largely comes from fans of the team that got shafted. It comes off as making excuses for the loss, etc.

With the Superbowl, you get all of NFL fandom watching the same game, with only a small portion of viewers having any vested interest in the two teams playing.

Not only is there a larger percentage of viewers to be outraged, a much higher percentage of those outraged viewers are coming from an objective point of view.

A horribly officiated Superbowl may have been the most powerful way to effect change in the league's officiating.

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Nope, this is 100% on the refs; the play of the team should not be considered.

Talk about hyperbole...

htismaqe
02-07-2006, 01:50 PM
The M.O. on SeaHags is the still the same.

When they have to make a play in a big game they choke. Been going on their entire playoff history.
Dropped passes/missed FGs. or critical fumbles/INTs

Stop whinning, good teams find a way to win.

This is the one I love the most.

It's OK for the officiating in the NFL to stink. It's OK that it happens in every game, including the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Good teams overcome. Bad teams go home.

Referees get paid, regardless of whether they're good or bad.

Have fun watching the NFL become the NBA, nm_dbf.

tk13
02-07-2006, 01:55 PM
As I said in the WWE thread yesterday. I actually 100% agree, Seattle had chances to overcome the officiating.

That said, the difference is Seattle is going to go back to work to fix its mistakes. Nobody is going to go work to improve the officiating. I don't think a healthy discussion on improving the officiating in the NFL is a bad idea at this point. I don't think throwing your hands up in the air and saying "oh well" is the answer.

Der Flöprer
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM

They also OUTPLAYED Pittsburg in every statistical catagory however lost by 11. Is this what people in PA are saying to console themselves over their "Championship"? To me all Pittsburg won was the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Congrats on that.

Redcoats58
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
They also OUTPLAYED Pittsburg in every statistical catagory however lost by 11. Is this what people in PA are saying to console themselves over their "Championship"? To me all Pittsburg won was the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Congrats on that.
You can't blame the team that won for the poor officiating. The only people that take the blame for this was the officials. Steelers were just on the fortunate side of the bad calls, that doesn't mean there should be an * next to their superbowl win, all they can do is play the game and hope they win. Now if this was proved rigged by the Steelers then your argument is valid.

Joe Seahawk
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I do not blame the refs for the loss at all, the Seahawks made way too many mistakes to justify pointing the finger at anyone other than themselves. With that said however, there were some very questionable calls that ruined their chance at overcoming their mistakes, especially the hold on Locklear. That call was so ridicilous I cant even believe it, the DE and nosetackle were both offsides on that play yet the refs called a phantom hold on Locklear.

Had that call not been made the Seahawks most likely would have scored a TD and taken the lead. Am I saying the officials cost us the game? maybe, we'll never know, but the Seahawks made enough mistakes on their own to cost them the game.

I'm frankly getting sick of all the whining up here in Seattle, It was clearly a poorly officiated game but Pittsburgh made the plays that needed to be made.. Etrick Pruitt was forced into the game and got caught badly out of position on 2 huge plays. Parker's run and Randle el's pass, it was very unfortunate to have to play our practice squad safety in the biggest game in our franchises history..

But that's the way it goes.. Miami next year! :)

dj56dt58
02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I think while Ben was airbound the tip of the ball crossed the goalline. not enough to argue over though
Ben admitted that he never crossed the goalline on that play

FAX
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I do not blame the refs for the loss at all, the Seahawks made way too many mistakes to justify pointing the finger at anyone other than themselves. With that said however, there were some very questionable calls that ruined their chance at overcoming their mistakes, especially the hold on Locklear. That call was so ridicilous I cant even believe it, the DE and nosetackle were both offsides on that play yet the refs called a phantom hold on Locklear.

Had that call not been made the Seahawks most likely would have scored a TD and taken the lead. Am I saying the officials cost us the game? maybe, we'll never know, but the Seahawks made enough mistakes on their own to cost them the game.

I'm frankly getting sick of all the whining up here in Seattle, It was clearly a poorly officiated game but Pittsburgh made the plays that needed to be made.. Etrick Pruitt was forced into the game and got caught badly out of position on 2 huge plays. Parker's run and Randle el's pass, it was very unfortunate to have to play our practice squad safety in the biggest game in our franchises history..

But that's the way it goes.. Miami next year! :)

Nice post, Mr. Joe Seahawk.

What is so difficult about officiating a football game?

FAX THE NOT GETTING THIS WHOLE NFL OFFICIATING THING RIGHT NOW

DaFace
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Ben admitted that he never crossed the goalline on that play

I think this is one of those that will forever be "too close to call." I doubt Ben had any better view of where the ball was than any of the camera angles.

4th and Long
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
First of all, props to Joe for being a level headed Seahawk fan. :thumb:

That being said, I don't know who wrote this, but I think it sums up the role of the officiating in Seattle's loss in Super Bowl XL very nicely.

20 reasons the refs' calls didn't matter

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history. Seattle's defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD. Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line. Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals. That was Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation. Seattle's offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line. Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt. That, again, would be Seattle's offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT. That would be Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes. That would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Stevens.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD. That AGAIN would be Seattle.

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line. That of course was Seattle.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory. The lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game. That too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass. That break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE. That would be of course, another chance for Seattle.

(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled INT, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)

16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to. That again would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

20. And the very bottom line is this. On plays when there wasn't any penalties. One team made plays and one team didn't. The end result was the final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.