PDA

View Full Version : Replay question.

HMc
02-07-2006, 08:06 AM
It surpises me that viewing the video and making the call is the respnsibility of the referee on the field. 3 out of our 4 major sports use the video replay system here (Cricket and the two Rugbys) and none of them involve the referee or umpire going to the sideline and watching video through some wierd black contraption..Here it's an additional ref sitting upstairs that has a guy there who provides him with all the available angles as he needs them. He then either relays the decision to the ref via the earpiece or it goes up on the big screen (depending on the sport and the scenario).

The benefits i see here is that he is removed from the somewhat noisy and itimidating environment of the field. No one can see him. He also doesn't have to overturn a decision of his own or his "crew". He has access to multiple screens that can play different angles that are sync'd, giving him a unique perspective on calls like "did the foot the line before the ball hit the ground" etc.

Why does the NFL do it in the manner that they do?

Bowser
02-07-2006, 08:11 AM
In the last two minutes of a half, all replays are viewed from upstairs. I'm not sure as to why this isn't standard throughout the game, because it should be.

KCTitus
02-07-2006, 08:12 AM
The NFL's replay system is it's second attempt at a replay system which is designed to fail.

greg63
02-07-2006, 08:40 AM
The NFL's replay system is it's second attempt at a replay system which is designed to fail.

...More than likely.

bkkcoh
02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
In the last two minutes of a half, all replays are viewed from upstairs. I'm not sure as to why this isn't standard throughout the game, because it should be.

Is it the fact that the on-field ref is not wanting to admit that it was wrong, if he would have to over-turn a call on the field, even if it was the correct thing to do? Or what is the problem....

I would agree that the replay would and should be handled upstairs....

andoman
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM

That's what I thought too, but I think they are just initiated from upstairs in the last two minutes of a half. I think the ref on the field still does the reviewing. At least that's what I remember seeing Sunday.

ChiefsfaninPA
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
That's what I thought too, but I think they are just initiated from upstairs in the last two minutes of a half. I think the ref on the field still does the reviewing. At least that's what I remember seeing Sunday.

You are correct. They are only initiated from upstairs. It is still the ref on the field looking at the play.

Rogcop_3121
02-07-2006, 06:20 PM

It did in the Super Bowl when Big Ben was granted a "free" touchdown. He was not in, no way. I think the ref knew the call was bad but went with it anyways. How can the line judge run out as if he is going to spot the football at the goaline and thenm raise his arms for a TD. Sorry but Big Ben didn't score on that play.