PDA

View Full Version : GET OFF THE POOR SUPERBOWL REFS' BACKS!

Frankie
02-08-2006, 09:52 AM
It was NOT their fault. I have it from my always reliable sources that somebody in the NFL office failed to type up a new set of instructions in time. So the refs received the instructions that the NFL had prepared at the beginning of the playoffs when they were "sure" that either Prince Peyton or Princess Jake (P) would be quarterbacking the AFC's SB team.

greg63
02-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Why, are they charging for piggy-back rides? :p :D

pikesome
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
The real problem with the bad officiating last season is the damage to the creditability of the whole process. Whether the referees had ulterior motives or not, viewers are now left with the suspicion that any call that helps the Pats, the Colts, the Steelers, or the next darling team was handed down from Tagliabue's desk. Instead of most people looking at calls and granting the benefit of the doubt, the pendulum is swinging the other way. It becomes a case of guilty until proven innocent, every call will be analyzed and over-analyzed looking for the proof that the NFL is rigging games. This has the great possibility to ruin the game even if the league is innocent. When GQ published their article on the most hated athletes the quote concerning Curt Schilling was the one that stuck in my mind. No one has proof that he doctored his sock but the fact that disbelief is pervasive says as much about Schilling as real proof would. There is no quick solution to the problem, no matter what the NFL does to address this problem the seeds of doubt have been planted.

CoMoChief
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
"There is no quick solution to the problem, no matter what the NFL does to address this problem the seeds of doubt have been planted."

I think fining the refs when they blow calls that are purely obvious to anyone who isn't blind would be a good start. Fining players for commenting on the refs poor officiating throughout an entire game is okay but, fining the refs who made the calls isn't okay? I don't see the justification in that. The Troy Polamalu INT against the Colts was just rediculous. Anyone who wasn't blind could see that was clearly an INT, and all the refs said was, Sorry. I also think the refs should address the media after a controversial call that changed the course of the game. Coaches and players do it all the time, why not the refs? Coaches should not have to challenge calls like that. I can understand them challenging somehing like whether or not 2 feet cam down in bounds. that happens too fast for anyone to really get a real good look at it. Thats what challenges should be used for, not trying to overturn calls like what happened in the Colts game with Polamulu's INT. I just really do not see how they could have called that an INT. I really dont.

KCTitus
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
There's quite a distance between 'conspiracy' and noting that something was definately bad about the officiating in that game. I would say that distance is relatively equivalent to that between the Earth and the Sun.

I do believe it was a conspiracy for your inscessant caps lock usage, however.

pikesome
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
"There is no quick solution to the problem, no matter what the NFL does to address this problem the seeds of doubt have been planted."

I think fining the refs when they blow calls that are purely obvious to anyone who isn't blind would be a good start. Fining players for commenting on the refs poor officiating throughout an entire game is okay but, fining the refs who made the calls isn't okay? I don't see the justification in that. The Troy Polamalu INT against the Colts was just rediculous. Anyone who wasn't blind could see that was clearly an INT, and all the refs said was, Sorry. I also think the refs should address the media after a controversial call that changed the course of the game. Coaches and players do it all the time, why not the refs?

The problem is that most calls have a large amount of subjectivity in them. It is very much the same problem we have with the justice system. If a judge is accused of bias very seldom does it go anywhere. You just can't prove wrong doing enough to really punish someone. Also, just like the justice system, the NFL doesn't want to start handing out punishments for fear that it will only highlight the length and breadth of the problem.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
It was NOT their fault. I have it from my always reliable sources ROFL

bkkcoh
02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
"There is no quick solution to the problem, no matter what the NFL does to address this problem the seeds of doubt have been planted.". No doubt about that

"I think fining the refs when they blow calls that are purely obvious to anyone who isn't blind would be a good start. Fining players for commenting on the refs poor officiating throughout an entire game is okay but, fining the refs who made the calls isn't okay? I don't see the justification in that. The Troy Polamalu INT against the Colts was just rediculous. Anyone who wasn't blind could see that was clearly an INT, and all the refs said was, Sorry.

I think the refs need to be held accountable somehow for the calls they make. Are the ref's governed by a ref union or anything. If they are, I am sure that the union would step in and stop any kind of accountability of the refs.

"I also think the refs should address the media after a controversial call that changed the course of the game. Coaches and players do it all the time, why not the refs? Coaches should not have to challenge calls like that. I can understand them challenging somehing like whether or not 2 feet cam down in bounds. that happens too fast for anyone to really get a real good look at it. Thats what challenges should be used for, not trying to overturn calls like what happened in the Colts game with Polamulu's INT. I just really do not see how they could have called that an INT. I really dont.

I think that would be a great start. they need to answer their actions on the field just the press wants the coaches and players to do. I am not sure if I am really for the ability to overturn penalties, because where does it stop. For PI, I could definitely see a need for that, since PI is often a judgement to whether or not the player gained an advantage from the contact.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I do think that penalties need to be reviewable, both in college and the NFL.

They need to continue to streamline the college system (which the NFL should adopt, BTW) so that ALL aspects can be reviewed.

CoMoChief
02-08-2006, 10:42 AM
The problem is that most calls have a large amount of subjectivity in them. It is very much the same problem we have with the justice system. If a judge is accused of bias very seldom does it go anywhere. You just can't prove wrong doing enough to really punish someone. Also, just like the justice system, the NFL doesn't want to start handing out punishments for fear that it will only highlight the length and breadth of the problem.

As dumb as this may sound, I think like the justice system, where it favors the wealthy pretty much, that in professional sports (not just NFL) the Superstar athletes such as Manning, get the calls unlike someone else that is kind of a no namer. Jordan traveled so many times in the NBA and constantly pushed off of people to get open, hince the final shot against Utah where he shoved Brain Russell out of the way. But then again you can really make the argument that fouls are never called in the NBA like they are in college. Its the same game, only difference is the 3pt line is moved back. MLB is different to where I think this is the only sport where there is consistency in the officiating. But there again there are calls like in the I70 World Series, but I'm not gonna complain about that one :)

KCTitus
02-08-2006, 10:45 AM
AMLB is different to where I think this is the only sport where there is consistency in the officiating.

Not really, there are very few subjective rules in Baseball with the exception of balls and strikes, and there has allways been controversy around that.

CoMoChief
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
No doubt about that

I think the refs need to be held accountable somehow for the calls they make. Are the ref's governed by a ref union or anything. If they are, I am sure that the union would step in and stop any kind of accountability of the refs.

I think that would be a great start. they need to answer their actions on the field just the press wants the coaches and players to do. I am not sure if I am really for the ability to overturn penalties, because where does it stop. For PI, I could definitely see a need for that, since PI is often a judgement to whether or not the player gained an advantage from the contact.

Well first of all they need to get rid of the new rules that favors WRs in this league. We constantly see WR's pushing off of Db's to get open downfield and nothing gets called for it, but refs throw flags if it is the other way around.

Sully
I disagree with MLB being consistent.
You are constantly hearing announcers, when discussing calls pitchers get, talking aabout how they can't gt that outside strike called early in their career, but once they are established they can get it.

pikesome
I am not sure if I am really for the ability to overturn penalties, because where does it stop.

I think that the NFL rules give the league official at each game (there's always at least one) just this sort of power, I have never heard of it being used however. Nor do I think it ever will. Fixing calls like that will create an even greater suspicion of wrong-doing. Overturn a ref's call and the other team will be up in arms.

pikesome
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Well first of all they need to get rid of the new rules that favors WRs in this league. We constantly see WR's pushing off of Db's to get open downfield and nothing gets called for it, but refs throw flags if it is the other way around.

This is not far off what I would like to see, but it puts an awful lot of burden on the offense. A DB doesn't have to catch anything all he has to do is pervent the catch, that's easier. If the receiver can't push back he'll have real problems catching it.

Frankie
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh crap!!

My toungue-in-cheek thread has been highjacked by serious discussions. :banghead: Hey dudes, there are serious threads on this subject all over the planet!... This one was supposed to be poking fun at (1) the NFL darlings who always get the benefit of the calls, (2) the apparent perception that there are not enough threads on this subject, and (3) all the posters who always claim to have reliable insiders! (God!.. It's like having to explain the punchline of a joke!)

Sheesh!... Where's your sense of humor?

pikesome
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh crap!!

My toungue-in-cheek thread has been highjacked by serious discussions. :banghead: Hey dudes, there are serious threads on this subject all over the planet!... This one was supposed to be poking fun at (1) the NFL darlings who always get the benefit of the calls, (2) the apparent perception that there are not enough threads on this subject, and (3) all the posters who always claim to have reliable insiders! (God!.. It's like having to explain the punchline of a joke!)

Sheesh!... Where's your sense of humor?

Hey at least we're talking about football and not whinning about being mistreated by the bourgeois.

Fish
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I just keep waiting to see one of the refs in the hospital...... If your average "don't care who wins" Joe can get pissed about it.... Those refs should be watching their backs for some crazed Seahawks fan.

pikesome
02-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I just keep waiting to see one of the refs in the hospital...... If your average "don't care who wins" Joe can get pissed about it.... Those refs should be watching their backs for some crazed Seahawks fan.

What about the ref who ended up with a brick in his living room? I'm kinda surprised more of this hasn't happened before. Some people take football a wee bit too far.

Fish
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
What about the ref who ended up with a brick in his living room? I'm kinda surprised more of this hasn't happened before. Some people take football a wee bit too far.

It would be sad, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Some people just get this "if my team loses I have no reason to live" attitude, and it's scary.

dj56dt58
02-08-2006, 11:22 AM
If those refs wern't paid off by the nfl to screw the seahawks, and they actually called the game to the best of their ability..then the have no right no ref anything but a jr high powerduff league next year.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I think that the NFL rules give the league official at each game (there's always at least one) just this sort of power, I have never heard of it being used however. Nor do I think it ever will. Fixing calls like that will create an even greater suspicion of wrong-doing. Overturn a ref's call and the other team will be up in arms.

That's precisely why replay is ****ed up too.

The refs are a good ole boy network just like the rest.

pikesome
02-08-2006, 11:35 AM
That's precisely why replay is ****ed up too.

The refs are a good ole boy network just like the rest.

With the replay system, the refs are the ones making the call still. The problem with a league official overriding the call is that it opens the entire NFL front office to accusations of tampering. That is a Pandora's box that I don't think anyone wants.

StcChief
02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Get your tinfoil hats.
The conspiracy theory has been going around for 40 years.

fan4ever
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Mystery solved.

Inspector
02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
The real problem with the bad officiating last season is the damage to the creditability of the whole process. Whether the referees had ulterior motives or not, viewers are now left with the suspicion that any call that helps the Pats, the Colts, the Steelers, or the next darling team was handed down from Tagliabue's desk. Instead of most people looking at calls and granting the benefit of the doubt, the pendulum is swinging the other way. It becomes a case of guilty until proven innocent, every call will be analyzed and over-analyzed looking for the proof that the NFL is rigging games. This has the great possibility to ruin the game even if the league is innocent. When GQ published their article on the most hated athletes the quote concerning Curt Schilling was the one that stuck in my mind. No one has proof that he doctored his sock but the fact that disbelief is pervasive says as much about Schilling as real proof would. There is no quick solution to the problem, no matter what the NFL does to address this problem the seeds of doubt have been planted.

Well stated. Excellent post!
:thumb:

Inspector
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM

I think fining the refs when they blow calls that are purely obvious to anyone who isn't blind would be a good start. Fining players for commenting on the refs poor officiating throughout an entire game is okay but, fining the refs who made the calls isn't okay? I don't see the justification in that. The Troy Polamalu INT against the Colts was just rediculous. Anyone who wasn't blind could see that was clearly an INT, and all the refs said was, Sorry. I also think the refs should address the media after a controversial call that changed the course of the game. Coaches and players do it all the time, why not the refs? Coaches should not have to challenge calls like that. I can understand them challenging somehing like whether or not 2 feet cam down in bounds. that happens too fast for anyone to really get a real good look at it. Thats what challenges should be used for, not trying to overturn calls like what happened in the Colts game with Polamulu's INT. I just really do not see how they could have called that an INT. I really dont.

Wow, another excellent post. Totally agree!

Frankie
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I swear,...guys,...this was supposed to attract the Planet comedians! :banghead:

Chief Roundup
02-08-2006, 05:16 PM

The NFL can't fine the refs because the refs are contractors. They are not an actual part of the NFL.
If you have the NFL network they do talk about certain calls every week with the head of officiating...can't remember his name....but he always uses other sections of the rule book to justify a bad call. That guy in 2 years has never once said yeah that was a bad call.

KCWolfman
02-08-2006, 06:27 PM
There's quite a distance between 'conspiracy' and noting that something was definately bad about the officiating in that game. I would say that distance is relatively equivalent to that between the Earth and the Sun.

I do believe it was a conspiracy for your inscessant caps lock usage, however.
Yup - 93,000,000 miles is about the difference between reality and the fantasy that some are perpetuating.

|Zach|
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Yup - 93,000,000 miles is about the difference between reality and the fantasy that some are perpetuating.
I just put about 10 dollars worth of gas in my tank...think I can make it?

KCWolfman
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I just put about 10 dollars worth of gas in my tank...think I can make it?
It is possible. Most of it is downhill.

|Zach|
02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
It is possible. Most of it is downhill.
http://www.atlin.net/03.jpg