PDA

View Full Version : Fittness advise needed....

booger
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
After about a year off I am looking to get back in to the weight lifting/training program again. The last equipment I had was a Gold's Gym bench with the 300lb cast iron weight set. That was good but seemed to just add bulk. I sold the system when i moved about a year ago.

Instead of the added bulk i think this time around i would like to drop weight and body fat first and then tone and gain back some mass.

Joining the gym would probably be the best option, but is really out of the question right now.

So I am basically looking into home systems. The platinum crossbow has a good look and concept to it, not to mention the price, but I have read up on some pretty bad reviews on it. Bad customer service, wiring problems, motors need replaced, etc.

To me Bowflex seems to be the best thing on the market, just a bit more than I would like to spend. They do seem to have better warranty coverages though.

I guess i was just wondering if anyone here has any input on bowflex( is it worth the $$$?) or knows of any other home gym systems out there.

Thanks in advance.

Phobia
02-08-2006, 09:56 AM
You can get a bowflex cheaper if you feel like monitoring want ads or even ebay.

jspchief
02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Bowflex, or free weights. It doesn't matter.The exercises you do will determine bulk versus tone.

Increase your cardiovascular work, lower weight, and raise reps.

FWIW, I've heard the Bowflex is a pretty effective home machine.

Katipan
Or those used sporting goods places like "Play It Again Sports"

ChiefsOne
I don't have any experience with Bowflex because I go to the gym. My home equipment always turns into a laundry hanger and dust collector, so I have to go to the gym.

I have two friends that have the Bowflex systems and both love them. Nothing but praise from them. One of the guys got to using all the resistance for multiple reps and it broke. Bowflex sent him a new system and $5,000 for his injurys and have used him for Beta testing.

booger
Phil,
I've thought about that.

Probably voids the warranty though.

Donger
02-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Sorry. I can't advise you with any advice.

morphius
02-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I have been happy with my Body Solid home gym set. if you want to lose weight though, make sure to do some cardio, I prefer Elliptical Machines myself, but only go with something you will use.

Cave Johnson
02-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Haven't used the crossbow personally, but a friend bought one from another friend recently. He sold it a few months later, complaining that there wasn't enough resistance even using all the rods.

What about cardio equipment? I've seen pretty decent elliptical machines on ebay for $50-100.

Brock
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
You may as well buy a rod to hang your clothes on. it's a lot cheaper.

NewChief
02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
If you know you'll like a home gym and use it, then go for it. You can get started at increasing core strength and toning with a much smaller investment, though. Just get:
*A few sets of dumbbells
*Inflatable Exercise Ball
*Tennis shoes (for running)
*Medicine Ball (optional)

There's an absolute ton of stuff you can do with these few things and a few other things (benches) that you probably have sitting around your house.

Hog Farmer
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I use 6 packs of Coors Light and try to do 6 to 12 reps in the evening time. My arms are in great tone but my midsection still needs some work.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Haven't used the crossbow personally, but a friend bought one from another friend recently. He sold it a few months later, complaining that there wasn't enough resistance even using all the rods.

What about cardio equipment? I've seen pretty decent elliptical machines on ebay for $50-100.

Yeah, i've just heard to many bad things about the crossbow to take a chance on it. Looks like they tried to compete with bowflex at half the price and failed, IMO.

I've got a family member who I can get a ski machine and a exc. bike for free. Just depends on the space I have this spring when I move into a different home.

NewChief
02-08-2006, 10:12 AM
By the way, here's a great workout program that requires very little in the way of equipment:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200205/200205shape_of_your_life.html

Here are the pieces of equipment it calls for:
The Shape of Your Life requires only a few pieces of basic equipment—a bench, dumbbells, a stability ball (also called a physio or Swiss ball), a new jump rope, and a plyometric box—that shouldn't run you more than $200.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I use 6 packs of Coors Light and try to do 6 to 12 reps in the evening time. My arms are in great tone but my midsection still needs some work.

ROFL

That's my problem. I'm about 6' 245. I have pretty good strength in my arms, back, shoulders, chest, and legs. I would just like to lose some of the body fat and get back some tone. A desk job and budweiser, not to mention a non existing diet, have left me with a fat ass. I would also like to somehow turn my gut into something that somewhat resembles a six pack. Right now it is closer to a pony keg.

Brock
02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
ROFL

That's my problem. I'm about 6' 245. I have pretty good strength in my arms, back, shoulders, chest, and legs. I would just like to lose some of the body fat and get back some tone. A desk job and budweiser, not to mention a non existing diet, have left me with a fat ass. I would also like to somehow turn my gut into something that somewhat resembles a six pack. Right now it is closer to a pony keg.

Dude - just take a walk every day and eat less. Fitness equipment is a scam.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
By the way, here's a great workout program that requires very little in the way of equipment:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200205/200205shape_of_your_life.html

Here are the pieces of equipment it calls for:

good article. I will have to refer back to that.

Thanks! :thumb:

CanadianChief
02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Try incorporating some sort of a boxing routine into your daily workout (i.e. heavy bag, skipping, speed bag). I've found it to be great for shedding the body fat.

Also switch to diet soda if you haven't already. If you're a big Pepsi fan like I am the switch to diet dropped 600 calories off my daily intake.

Dave Lane
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM

Maybe you should leave the beer in the cans?

Dave

NewChief
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
good article. I will have to refer back to that.

Thanks! :thumb:

No problem. It worked for me. I look just like Laird Hamilton now!

Chiefs Express
02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I had alot of luck with a nordic trac a few years ago. Helped with cardiovascular and muscle tone. Lost some weight with it.

At the time I had to keep in running shape for semiannual fitness tests. The nordic trac was the best method other than running 3-5 miles a day.

I've heard that the equipment you can get that Chuck Norris is pimping is good but also expensive.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
I got ripped by lifting and doing hella crunches 6 days a week. But there's different ways and obviously people have different situations. I was skinny with a high metab, and still have one, so I didn't have to do too much cardio, and really don't unless I'm playing basketball, football, swimming, or running. No treadmills or nothing. I had to be careful when I did do cardio because I would sweat out the lbs that I wanted.

There are different ways to get to where you want to be, though. My brother is ripped like Zeus, great abs and everything and only does push-ups and crunches, no weights. It's amazing.

Everyone's body is different though. I saw a nutritionist because I started to workout, my advice to you would be the same. In order to get bigger, faster, and stronger you must 1. Be consistent in your workout, don't take a lot of days off at first unless you are really REALLY sore. 2. Eat right. That should be #1, but you know. 3. Marry your rutine.

Good luck.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Dude - just take a walk every day and eat less. Fitness equipment is a scam.

Yeah, that's the first step in everything. People make the mistake of just jumping into or back into things like this and spend the money right away and don't get what they want out of it.

Weight training always used to be the best stress/anxiety relief for me personally. Beats the crap out of smoking. Something I have finally quit (hopefully for good this time) after 6 years.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:35 AM
No problem. It worked for me. I look just like Laird Hamilton now!
:)

Hey, he's kinda purdy.

j/k :thumb:

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 10:35 AM
When you're fat like me, you don't need weights. Just do squats and pushups...

:D

Chiefs Express
02-08-2006, 10:38 AM

When you get older the squats will cause your knees to make terrifying sounds, then a short time after you hear those sounds you hear you voice making those blood curdling sounds related to blowing out your knee. But, of course it's only pain and there are doctors willing to fix them for you!:)

booger
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Try incorporating some sort of a boxing routine into your daily workout (i.e. heavy bag, skipping, speed bag). I've found it to be great for shedding the body fat.

Also switch to diet soda if you haven't already. If you're a big Pepsi fan like I am the switch to diet dropped 600 calories off my daily intake.

I have done that briefly in the past and it definatly helps with every thing, especially stress relief. A better alternative than punching people for no aparrent reason since that seems to be illegal.

The pop thing is right on the money. I agree.

Also had to change the Bud heavy to Coors light. Or just whiskey and water. :)

booger
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Sorry. I can't advise you with any advice.
Maybe you can help me with my spelling.

It looks like i can't spell fittness. :banghead: :)

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
When you get older the squats will cause your knees to make terrifying sounds, then a short time after you hear those sounds you hear you voice making those blood curdling sounds related to blowing out your knee. But, of course it's only pain and there are doctors willing to fix them for you!:)

You don't have to do the old style squat anymore. Technology has improved since 1820. Same with bench press.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I got ripped by lifting and doing hella crunches 6 days a week. But there's different ways and obviously people have different situations. I was skinny with a high metab, and still have one, so I didn't have to do too much cardio, and really don't unless I'm playing basketball, football, swimming, or running. No treadmills or nothing. I had to be careful when I did do cardio because I would sweat out the lbs that I wanted.

There are different ways to get to where you want to be, though. My brother is ripped like Zeus, great abs and everything and only does push-ups and crunches, no weights. It's amazing.

Everyone's body is different though. I saw a nutritionist because I started to workout, my advice to you would be the same. In order to get bigger, faster, and stronger you must 1. Be consistent in your workout, don't take a lot of days off at first unless you are really REALLY sore. 2. Eat right. That should be #1, but you know. 3. Marry your rutine.

Good luck.

More good advice. Thanks! :thumb:

booger
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM

ROFL

True.

I guess that's why the Chuck Norris thingy looks like an idea as well since you are using your own body weight to work out. Plus It will hold a 265 lbs max person and I still fall slightly below that line. :)

Donger
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Maybe you can help me with my spelling.

It looks like i can't spell fittness. :banghead: :)

I didn't want to rub it in.

booger
02-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I didn't want to rub it in.
I do appreciate that. :)

MVChiefFan
02-08-2006, 10:49 AM
High volume-low fat diet, walk/run and as many crunches and push-ups that you can do and everything will take care of itself.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Just an FYI on diet sodas and alcohol.

There's considerable scientific evidence to suggest that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are not any better for you than sugar.

1) They are sweet but contain no calories, screwing up your body's natural ability to feel satiated. Lab animals consuming aspartame ate THREE TIMES as much food as the group eating regular sugar.

2) Artificial sweeteners can trigger insulin in the same way regular sweeteners do, resulting in blood sugar effects identical to regular sugars. Your body will then convert excess calories to fat, even if glucose or other base carbs aren't present.

As for alcohol, most grain alcohol like vodka or whiskey contains little or no CARBS. But alcohol does contain CALORIES.

If possible, I would suggest not drinking alcohol at all.

htismaqe
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I lost 20 pounds on Atkins this time last year before I realized that it was making me sick. 2 months of ketosis tore the shit out of my kidneys.

This time around, I'm doing portioning and exercise. I started on January 14th and I've lost 20 pounds so far eating 1200 calories a day and working out.

B_Ambuehl
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Best thing to do if you like to lift is check around for used equipment and just get a power rack with a flat bench and pulldown attachment. Either that or powerblocks which i believe even bowflex has a version of now. I've yet to meet a person with a bowflex or any other gimmick who used them outside of a month so I send caution. Your options for exercise are unlimited. The general recommendation of strenght training + some form of cardiovascular activit holds true.....try to do things you enjoy for cardio even if it's just a couple of games of halfcourt basketball per week or walking the dog around the neighborhood at a brisk pace. That plus 2 or 3 whole body strength training sessions and a moderately clean diet will get you where you want to go.

Honestly if you have a playground nearby with a jungle gym you can use your own bodyweight and get a good whole body workout for free.

As for toning vs bulking:

You can make a muscle bigger or you can make it smaller. No such thing as toning.

You can make a fat cell bigger or smaller and that's it.

The combination of either neutral or small increases in muscle size + decreased bodyfat = "tone"

Say you can rate your muscle size on a scale from 1 to 100 with 1 being a small muscle and 100 being a very big muscle. Say you're currently a 50 and you wanna go to abot a 60. Well, the same training techniques that take a person all the way up to 100 are also the best and the quickest at taking a person from 50 to 60, or 0 to 50 or any other measure of improvement. I used to tell people, you can lift light girly weights or do Richard Simmons for 2 years or you can lift heavy weights for 2 weeks and get the same results with regards to muscle so why not take the shorter route and maintain through reduced frequency and volume instead of just wasting time?

As for body composition and fat loss it's all about diet. I'd suggest small changes you can incorporate gradually instead of making wholesale changes from the get go. That means you might initially make a concerted effort to increase your protein intake and eliminate simple sugars. That means cakes, cokes, candy, and ice cream. Hell, most people I know of your size can lose 20 lbs just by eliminating soda. Burn more calories then you take in and you lose fat it's really that simple.

Here are some good articles on the subject I normally recommend:

http://bodyrecomposition.com/articles/nutrition/index.php

Demonpenz
02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
diet mountain dew. All that energy no calories

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
High volume-low fat diet, walk/run and as many crunches and push-ups that you can do and everything will take care of itself.

This is pretty true.

I don't know why I waste the gas by going to the gym anymore, seriously. I'm at the point to where I can stop lifting and just maintain what I have by doing crunches and push-ups. My brother never lifted a day in his life and yet he is ripped because that's all he does as a workout--push-ups and crunches. He gets up at 5 in the morning, does his thing for an hour olny, then showers, eats breakfast, and off to work. He'll play pickup football or basketball, or run for cardio, like me.

Hog Farmer
02-08-2006, 10:57 AM
ROFL

True.

I guess that's why the Chuck Norris thingy looks like an idea as well since you are using your own body weight to work out. Plus It will hold a 265 lbs max person and I still fall slightly below that line. :)

I have one of those Chuck Norris thingys, I believe it's called the ultimate Gym, actually it's my brothers and when he went overseas to work I got it from his storage shed. It's on my front porch now and I use it a couple times a week. It definitely will give you a workout. I think they go for about $250.00. I also put an exercise bike in the feed mill and ride it 5 days a week during the lunch our while the mill grinds feed. I usually get about 15 miles in. Also started drinking v8 juice for lunch. All your veggies in one can.

Chiefs Express
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I have one of those Chuck Norris thingys, I believe it's called the ultimate Gym, actually it's my brothers and when he went overseas to work I got it from his storage shed. It's on my front porch now and I use it a couple times a week. It definitely will give you a workout. I think they go for about $250.00. I also put an exercise bike in the feed mill and ride it 5 days a week during the lunch our while the mill grinds feed. I usually get about 15 miles in. Also started drinking v8 juice for lunch. All your veggies in one can.

The only bad thing about the V8 is the amount of sodium it has in it. I've used the low sodium version and added a little salt to bring out some of the flavor. (Probably use too much, but not as much as they do.)

booger
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Best thing to do if you like to lift is check around for used equipment and just get a power rack with a flat bench and pulldown attachment. Either that or powerblocks which i believe even bowflex has a version of now. I've yet to meet a person with a bowflex or any other gimmick who used them outside of a month so I send caution. Your options for exercise are unlimited. The general recommendation of strenght training + some form of cardiovascular activit holds true.....try to do things you enjoy for cardio even if it's just a couple of games of halfcourt basketball per week or walking the dog around the neighborhood at a brisk pace. That plus 2 or 3 whole body strength training sessions and a moderately clean diet will get you where you want to go.

Honestly if you have a playground nearby with a jungle gym you can use your own bodyweight and get a good whole body workout for free.

As for toning vs bulking:

You can make a muscle bigger or you can make it smaller. No such thing as toning.

You can make a fat cell bigger or smaller and that's it.

The combination of either neutral or small increases in muscle size + decreased bodyfat = "tone"

Say you can rate your muscle size on a scale from 1 to 100 with 1 being a small muscle and 100 being a very big muscle. Say you're currently a 50 and you wanna go to abot a 60. Well, the same training techniques that take a person all the way up to 100 are also the best and the quickest at taking a person from 50 to 60, or 0 to 50 or any other measure of improvement. I used to tell people, you can lift light girly weights or do Richard Simmons for 2 years or you can lift heavy weights for 2 weeks and get the same results with regards to muscle so why not take the shorter route and maintain through reduced frequency and volume instead of just wasting time?

As for body composition and fat loss it's all about diet. I'd suggest small changes you can incorporate gradually instead of making wholesale changes from the get go. That means you might initially make a concerted effort to increase your protein intake and eliminate simple sugars. That means cakes, cokes, candy, and ice cream. Hell, most people I know of your size can lose 20 lbs just by eliminating soda. Burn more calories then you take in and you lose fat it's really that simple.

Here are some good articles on the subject I normally recommend:

http://bodyrecomposition.com/articles/nutrition/index.php
:thumb: Thanks!

booger
02-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Just an FYI on diet sodas and alcohol.

There's considerable scientific evidence to suggest that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are not any better for you than sugar.

1) They are sweet but contain no calories, screwing up your body's natural ability to feel satiated. Lab animals consuming aspartame ate THREE TIMES as much food as the group eating regular sugar.

2) Artificial sweeteners can trigger insulin in the same way regular sweeteners do, resulting in blood sugar effects identical to regular sugars. Your body will then convert excess calories to fat, even if glucose or other base carbs aren't present.

As for alcohol, most grain alcohol like vodka or whiskey contains little or no CARBS. But alcohol does contain CALORIES.

If possible, I would suggest not drinking alcohol at all.

Alcohol isn't really that big of deal to me. I have some at home but only drink if there is someone to drink with. The occassional trips to the bar followed by drinking lots sure can't help though.

booger
02-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Yeah i've done the V8 thing in the past with good luck. Just hadn't thought of it again.

Iowanian
02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Start with a $200 Gazelle.

"you caaaaan Doooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 11:05 AM
This is pretty true.

I don't know why I waste the gas by going to the gym anymore, seriously. I'm at the point to where I can stop lifting and just maintain what I have by doing crunches and push-ups. My brother never lifted a day in his life and yet he is ripped because that's all he does as a workout--push-ups and crunches. He gets up at 5 in the morning, does his thing for an hour olny, then showers, eats breakfast, and off to work. He'll play pickup football or basketball, or run for cardio, like me.

BTW, he's accomplished the same as me in less time. He does his thing for 6 days a week, as do I. He is pretty ripped, like me. But what he does is less harder on the body, and is faster. One hour for 6 days a week is awesome.

I just talked myself into doing this. lol! I'm going to give him a call now and tell him I'm going on his routine now.

Thanks, booger. Without you, this wouldn't have happened.

booger
02-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Start with a $200 Gazelle.

"you caaaaan Doooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"
ROFL
I hate that guy.

booger
02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
BTW, he's accomplished the same as me in less time. He does his thing for 6 days a week, as do I. He is pretty ripped, like me. But what he does is less harder on the body, and is faster. One hour for 6 days a week is awesome.

I just talked myself into doing this. lol! I'm going to give him a call now and tell him I'm going on his routine now.

Thanks, booger. Without you, this wouldn't have happened.
:) I do what I can.

Hog Farmer
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM

My bad. It's called the Total Gym. Here's the link www.totalgymdirect.com (http://www.totalgymdirect.com)

booger
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
My bad. It's called the Total Gym. Here's the link www.totalgymdirect.com (http://www.totalgymdirect.com)

:dom:

MMMMM

Christie Brinkley.

ChiefsOne
02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Chief Express When you get older the squats will cause your knees to make terrifying sounds, then a short time after you hear those sounds you hear you voice making those blood curdling sounds related to blowing out your knee. But, of course it's only pain and there are doctors willing to fix them for you!:)

That a pretty shitty excuse.

munkey
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Eat right. That should be #1

That as you pointed out is the #1 reason people fail to make progress...

DIETING is a BIOTCH....

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
That as you pointed out is the #1 reason people fail to make progress...

DIETING is a BIOTCH....

You can eat alot and be healthy, just don't eat the bad stuff like cake, etc. Pop is a no-no. If it's a must, drink a non-cola beverage, like sprite. Juices or water are better, preferably water though...

munkey
02-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Sounds like my lifting partner...

We go Mon. - Sat. with about 90 min. weight lifing and 20 min cardio each time.

Been on this schedule for about 8 weeks now and have lost 10 lbs and can run 2 and a half miles in under 20 minutes.

Only thing that sucked at first was the starting time...Mon - Fri at 3:30 AM and Sat. at 5:30 AM...Now I'm used to it though.

munkey
02-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Sounds like my lifting partner...

We go Mon. - Sat. with about 90 min. weight lifting and 20 min cardio each time.

Been on this schedule for about 8 weeks now and have lost 10 lbs and can run 2 and a half miles in under 20 minutes.

Only thing that sucked at first was the starting time...Mon - Fri at 3:30 AM and Sat. at 5:30 AM...Now I'm used to it though.

munkey
02-08-2006, 12:37 PM
You can eat alot and be healthy, just don't eat the bad stuff like cake, etc.

Eating healthy was the hard part at first....I pretty much stick to 6 meals a day including supplements but pig out on Sundays...

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Eating healthy was the hard part at first....I pretty much stick to 6 meals a day including supplements but pig out on Sundays...

Because of my fast metab I eat a lot as well. I never let myself get hungry and I eat a lot of protein rich food.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2006, 12:55 PM
A gym membership is only like a dollar a day. If you're serious just take the plunge. If you can afford a home system you can afford a membership with a 100 times the capability. If you decide to go the gym rout let me know and I will help you out with a real good program that will remove about a pound a day and build at the same time working out one hour 4 times a week. I spent most of my life running health clubs and training trainers so I do know what I am talking about. I just refuse to argue about it with people on the BB anymore who read one book or repeat what somebody told them once.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Sorry, just noticed you live in the sticks. ROFL

Do cardio of choice until you can do 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Get the best freeweight setup you can get, those machines are a waste of money. Let me know if you want some diet advise.

booger
02-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks BD.

So do you think even the Bowflex is crap as well?

Or just not worth the money compared to a free weight setup?